WarriorFish

Been working away on them, as you can see Tzeentch decided the original helmet should be used (a roll of a 1, which in retrospect considering my usual Sons rolling I should have expected...). The gold is done aside from the weapons which I will start on later.

gallery_30308_15068_40071.jpg

I'm basing the disc base as I have an idea for all the warp type effects and it's a good clean place to test it. As for the disc I want it to be mostly gold but I'm not sure how to paint it yet I'll see how it pans out perhaps. Now I've got them started it's time to switch to the batch painting, I'll see what progress I can make when I next get hobby time :thumbsup:

Got to be done though :tongue.: I'll have 30 once these are finished, and crucially no others waiting in the wings :laugh.: This should set me up ok for most games while I work on the other additions, but I will be looking to add more Rubrics sooner when it comes to new models I expect. As for next projects finishing the first SOT box is the natural priority :smile.:

As part of my hobby resupply I have some new brushes for detail work like the blocking in so it should be off to a good start :thumbsup:

I've finished the disc base and got a spell effect I'm happy enough with:

gallery_30308_15068_1415.jpg

Nighthaunt Gloom wasn't quite how I expected, but a bit of work on top worked out. I was wondering if I should do the same with Hexwraith or whatever its called for some variety, but I don't think it's worth it for how little I'd use it so I may as well stick with this :tu:

I might get the Infernal Master's base finished next to complete the set, since I'm not quite ready to jump in to painting the models themselves.

I got a similarly weird result from Nighthaunt Gloom, I'm not sure if the paint is inconsistent or what. It looks like you salvaged it well! I've had good experiences with Nihilakh Oxide for spirit effects, I'm leery of Nighthaunt-equivalent paints because of the results I've got in the past.

I've not got much hobby in lately but have been slowly picking away at the Infernal Master's base. Something is always better than nothing:

gallery_30308_15068_85618.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice but I couldn't seem to get better ones so these will have to do. I might return to touch up a few bits, as the skull had a bit of pooling. I have revised my spell effect method a bit I think this looks better for it, plus these are my first Screamers :D I went for the classic blue rather than reinvent any wheels.

Should (when?) I get to adding Tzeentch to my Daemons I might look at different colours but that is a thought for another time and place :lol: With his base done I might see what I can do on the Infernal Master himself but I'll need to see how things go as the Rubrics should be the priority.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, it's a good start to the model... which is unfortunately as far as the model itself has got. I'll get back to it soon!

In the meantime I got my first game with the new codex. Nothing special in a 500pts game against a sort of proto-list so not a particularly great demonstration but it was great to finally play and start learning the army :)

Having 2W is such a difference, and with the aid of others in learning the codex and powers I was in a good position of knowing what I had and how to use it. In this respect the limited models I had helped as it's easier to get going with small points. I can see how things can come together but the true test will be larger games with more moving parts. Hopefully I can get to that soon :) I'll get the batrep up at some point this week :tu:

No update on the models I'm afraid further than other projects being finished so I just have my Sons and Daemons on the table currently :smile.: I will aim to focus on the Sons but as there are fewer Daemonettes to paint and less work generally I may see about getting them done first so I can focus entirely on the Sons. In the meantime I owe a batrep and before too many details are forgotten:

Akhenaten's Thrallband

Hidden Content
+++ Sons 500pts 9th Return (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [3CP, 6 Cabal Points, 500pts] +++

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Time

+ HQ +

Exalted Sorcerer [3 Cabal Points, 100pts]: 21. Temporal Manipulation, 22. Weaver of Fates, 3. Undying Form, Conniving Plate, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Warlord

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [1 Cabal Points, 178pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: 12. Glamour of Tzeentch, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. 6x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 6x Inferno boltgun
. Rubric Marine w/ soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon

Rubric Marines [1 Cabal Points, 111pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: 13. Doombolt, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. 3x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 3x Inferno boltgun
. Rubric Marine w/ warpflamer: Warpflamer

Rubric Marines [1 Cabal Points, 111pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: 21. Presage, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. 3x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 3x Inferno boltgun
. Rubric Marine w/ warpflamer: Warpflamer

Order of the Sacred Rose

Hidden Content
Canoness

Palatine

Hospitaller

10x Battle Sisters

10x Battle Sisters

10x Battle Sisters

I'm a little outnumbered and no longer familiar with the Sister's rule - but I know the fundamentals well so I'm feeling that with new codex in hand, 2W, and the sorcerous council's scheming I'm in good standing.

Deployment

There's not much room for fancy pants at 500pts, so I keep my forces together for support as the fewer in number and my opponent lays a line ready to advance. Both sides are focused on shooting might, the opinion of psychic powers the biggest difference :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10077_52245.jpg

Turn 1

With things being what they are, the first turn is straight forward also - both forces will advance on each other issuing forth their hatred via bolters! The Sisters can plink off a Rubric from either flanking squad, but Akhenaten's powers can bring the right squad up to full strength again. The return with psychic powers and ensorcelled weapons is far more effective with the right hand squad suffering losses and the centre squad being badly reduced.

gallery_30308_10077_21937.jpg

Turn 2

I have secured a great start, but the Sisters aren't beaten so easily and advance up for more firing. My dice are blessed by Tzeentch and I only lose a few Rubrics - the game is mine to lose now.

gallery_30308_10077_99342.jpg

I move up also and throw everything I can at the Sisters, Cabal Points for extra Mortal Wounds and Stratagems abound as I try to clinch victory. With psychic boosts on the larger squad the Soulreaper Cannon in particular reaps a heavy toll on the Sisters are they are few left once the warp smoke has cleared.

gallery_30308_10077_122122.jpg

This is followed by my entire force charging, while we're not great in combat it's better not take the initiative when it is inevitable.

gallery_30308_10077_34353.jpg

The Palatine and Hospitaller can't hold under the weight of attacks, but the Canoness does thanks to her Relic reducing the Damage of weapons to 1.

Turn 3

The game is of course all but over now, and with the Conniving plate and some good rolling keeping my Exalted Sorcerer going (and the Rubrics get their saves in well too) it is only a matter of time before the Canoness falls. Victory to the Sons!

It was a bit of a funny game, as my opponent was running on limited knowledge of the rules and codex but all things start somewhere and where better than at 500pts? The dice gods had a fair bit to say also - the Sisters failed to stop a single power going off which perhaps says it all... Ordinarily you'd learn little to nothing from such a one sided game, but thanks to all the discussions here I could use it to get to grips with the new army and the art of twisting Stratagems and powers together and putting theory into action :smile.:

Cabal Points were great, even if I practically only had one power to use here and the smaller points scale well for them but my focus was on keeping on top of the army's many rules and moving parts which I think I did a good job on. 2W Marines is pretty great, as was All is Dust being in its element. Hopefully I can get more Sons done soon so I can get more and larger games in :thumbsup:

It's a big difference and will take some getting used to. Having fewer Marines in a list is one thing but the real difference is on the table top of course. I think it'll take a few games before that sinks in and I can get the most of it.

Things are skewed in such small games so I'm taking it with a pince of salt (especially as poor rolling meant the Sisters couldn't deny a thing), but it's also a good way to see the strengths and weaknesses of your army played out. I need to get more models done for larger games! :tongue.:

Good stuff and congrats on the win! It did seem like a straight up bolter fight, which the sisters can only lose - maybe 3 characters at 500pts was too much? Also using Blood Angels dice jinxed it - we know how good relations are between sisters and scions of Sanguinius :happy.:

Absolutely glorious! Love the green felt mat and the classic pitched battle. Those rubrics look stunning too! I imagine the sons of Magnus are pretty terrifying at 500pts.

I do wish smaller games were more popular. Part of me would love 1000pts to be the competitive norm. We could get so many more games in! You've inspired me to push for giving crusade another go in our gaming group. Balance be damned. 

My opponent's list could have been better I'm sure, but that's what returning to SoB after many, many years does - got to start somewhere though right? I expect there will be hard fought games between the armies in the future especially at higher points.

Though this was a case of limited models and getting back into things/armies I've played a lot of smaller point games over the editions. Nothing better for learning an army and getting to grips with them, plus the games themselves are quite different as the big boys and various crutches etc aren't present. Same for 1000pts, I think it's a good default to game at with 1500pts as the big games.

Larger games are good, but can take too long and can devolve into who brings the biggest and baddest. Lists are more interesting when you have to compromise somewhere, and arguably that's where you can show your mettle too ;)

I've had to steal time where I could for most of my progress, but even if it's only a few minutes for a splash of a wash or a quick layer it all counts. The disc has been good for this since I settled on what I wanted to do with it:

gallery_30308_15068_83447.jpg

I'm wondering if it might be a bit too much gold, as much as I wanted it mostly golden, but I reckon that by the time I get the blades and eyes done it should round off nicely. I'll see how it looks when done maybe add a bit more of the bluple on the outer ring if it still looks a bit too gold.

Getting larger games in with my Sons feels like a long way from now but if I can keep making progress in the lean times that is a good foundation :)