Loquille's attempt to stop lurking. Horus Heresy log.

Loquille

The painting continues!

So this morning I sat down and applied transfers and weathered the newest stuff, lesson learnt. When using between multiple transfers per model do them in small groups as you go. Do not sit and apply them all at the end.. /cry 

Anyway.. :) 

First up is a Heavy Support squad armed with Volkites. Which were nice to finally get around to. 

BvRM5dn.jpg

The second lot is a 15 strong Tactical squad. 

bEmGX2l.jpg

ouBWggj.jpg

All together. 

nqiCILP.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the skin on these two though. Even if one started as an elf, I think it works. 

gelzV7X.jpg

@Badgersinhills: Thankyou, and corrects I raided the spares and found a couple Bretonian heads so going to spread them about with a few others I found. 

@Sandalphon: Thankyou :) 

As always thanks for looking. 

Time for another little update, first up is a pod to go with one of the Terror squads, while I'm not currently using them my aim is to slowly complete them to break everything up

CyoWxjv.jpg

Nothing special but I've kept my theme of mostly metal. 

Next up is something that pulled my away from the partial Terminator unit on the desk. 

I've been playing around with lists and stuck a Vet squad together and got it in my head to convert a Praetor to go with them in a Dreadclaw. 

After playing around with parts and checking things out I couldn't get the Sevatar model as a base out of my head, which resulted in this. 

QWDLGVd.jpg

v0X9dR3.jpg

pYgWWVY.jpg

I've not came up with a name that fits him yet. Just that he's a junior officer within the two companies making up the Expedition Fleet's Astartes compliment. 

Next up is a toss between the a few things, I should finish the second Sabre, but... This freshly built Vet squad is in front of me. We shall see. 

As always, thanks for looking. 

Which sword is that?

@PeteySödes: Thankyou, next up will be a unit of Raptors, then I should really finish the Fireraptor. 

@Hushrong: Thanks, I need to get back around to the Emperor's Children at some point, but it is the year of Thramas so.. And best scratch that hobby itch :smile.:

@Lucerne :  The sword is from the Dark Elf Executioner kit. 

Edited by Loquille

Skin looks amazing. What's the recipe, if you don't mind to share? :smile.:

Skin is fairly simple:

Rakarth Flesh for a base

Rakarth mixed with a drop of Kislev flesh

Above mixed with white.

Again a touch of white to the mix to bring it lighter for highlight

Then a very light wash of purple (pretty much water) lightly added to the eyes, temples, cheeks ect depending on the facial details, which helps bring it together I find. Usually on a normal tone I'd do a very light green as well, but it isn't needed on the Night Lords's skin tone. 

• 2 weeks later...

The painting continues, and the Legion grows. 

First up is twelve Raptors 

uYdqiHl.jpg

V43Doar.jpg

And a group shot 

05vHJRt.jpg

Paintwise they came together fairly well, though I did notice the duplicates by the end, but working on them in groups of four helped and while not obvious I tried to vary the skin between groups to hopefully add some variety. 

Also another completionsthis week. 

(removed the Centurion as I started really disliking the standard of painting on it. )

An old Relic Contemptor, I'd not touched him for years as with all the honours it would seem out of place. 

PX7FZ7E.jpg

UhBEsPt.jpg

Reading Massacre again inspired me to pull him  out and try out the Crimson Sons/ Early Crusade scheme. 

Which I think works on the Contemptor and means I didn't need to deface him. 

'I earned these honours in life at the dawn of the Crusade. And I shall die my second, true death bearing them still'.

Yosef Hausakluif: Thanks dude! Main reason I decided to include it, it helps break it all up. Though I have to admit most of the Lightning is from the Night Lords's transfer sheet. :smile.:

Edited by Loquille

Nice update for the Night Lords. Raptors and centurion looking good! They look ready to cause some trouble.

I also like the contemptor and keeping with his old honors. Makes me think of an old terran still in the legion hanging on to old traditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Reinforcements inbound.

This week I finished a couple more units, in the shape of two Terminator squads. Quite different armaments between the two, but one is my original unit and I couldn't bring myself to change them, besides repairing, and replacing the resin lightning claws with plastic as over the years they'd lost a blade or two between them. 

http://i.imgur.com/0Xuz6TN.jpg

And the second.

srvllzm.jpg

The backlog is shrinking, though I'm curious how much more I'll complete before they allow us to buy new toys and it starts growing again. :smile.:

@Pearson: Thanks dude. 

@Hushrong: Thanks, that's the idea I had in my head.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Loquille

• 1 month later...

So a few random models to show this time, I lost the urge to paint after dropping the Fire Raptor, which has gone back in a box to be forgotten. 

In better news the three I'm allowed to post here :) 

First up was a couple Centurions for the 16th Legion, originally a test, now a distraction so the gaming group doesn't know what I'm doing :) 

Gof05rz.jpg

wPNAyym.jpg

avghzYK.jpg

And number two. 

xLl1lw4.jpg

54Rg3Yz.jpg

Which were fun to play around with. I wasn't sure the Eye transfer worked to begin with, but once sealed sorted itself out. 

I also picked up a squad of Sisters during lockdown and finally finished the Superior for the Order of the Sacred Rose. 

I think if I do dabble with them I'll undercoat before putting the bodies together. trying not to get white on the robes and black on armour was a pain on the normal sisters. Probably why they're still waiting in progress.

ujA7AUw.jpg

H6JoN3D.jpg

Up next I intend to try and push myself to look at the Night Lords again as I've a Master of Signal and Arcus in need of painting. Besides that the other Legion project should start so that might push ahead with the odd Sister mixed in to break it all up. 

@Bjorn Firewalker:  Thankyou.

@Badgersinhills: Thanks.

A small update with the test model of the new project. 

Ignore the missing hand, I still need to order the weapon pack for mk4 axes. 

On to the update. First completed member of the Veteran Squad. 

UQt5CO7.jpg

G7wC1Aj.jpg

xEuVQuv.jpg

I found this a lot of fun to paint, especially after lagging recently. Now I'm happy with the scheme I've got a few squads to knock out while I wait to order armour. 

@Bjorn Firewalker: Thanks dude, I've another three nearly finished to join her soon. :) 

As usual, thanks for looking 

@Bjorn Firewalker.   I still need to order the mk4 weapon pack for him, and another squad member. But seeing how easy they are to do, I was happy to start working on the unit as the two axes are all that's missing.  

curious about your recipes for the alpha :tongue.:

It's the recipe from the 'How to paint Alpha Legion' from Warhammer tv. 

Leadbelcher spray.

Drybrushed silver.

Gryph-Charger grey.

And finally Akhelian green.

I'd avoided trying it for ages as I wanted to come up with my own way, but I just wasn't happy with results. 

Curious if it'll transfer to larger pieces. If not I'll just come up with a variant scheme to get around it. 

curious about your recipes for the alpha :tongue.:

It's the recipe from the 'How to paint Alpha Legion' from Warhammer tv. 

Leadbelcher spray.

Drybrushed silver.

Gryph-Charger grey.

And finally Akhelian green.

I'd avoided trying it for ages as I wanted to come up with my own way, but I just wasn't happy with results. 

Curious if it'll transfer to larger pieces. If not I'll just come up with a variant scheme to get around it. 

Huh how many layers of Akhelian went into that? Looks nice. Anything special for the eyes?

Edited by Lucerne

Somehow I'm back with another update. 

I finished the Veteran Squad this afternoon, besides the all ready mentioned weapon. 

r29kaWR.jpg

FbIZnNC.jpg

All together 

Uy8GxNn.jpg

Final one which kinda shows the other pads, sadly where some of the legion symbols are silver on the right pad they don't come through properly on the camera.

vevrlYq.jpg

Next up is the first Tactical Squad, by then I might let myself do the Contemptor. We shall see. 

@Lucerne: Shockingly just the one layer for most of it, I found some of the pads required another thinned down coat to smooth them out but the paint works well. 

@Hushrong:  Thanks dude :)