++A Cloak of Foes Felled++ Thunder Warriors in 30k

TheTrans

Heya Gang,

Just thought I'd share this bit of art that a champion named DLMortarion did of the Tattered Prince

pkd4v3srh6s41.jpg

I've also just finished working on the first bit of fluff about the uprising on Vozdukh Glavnaya involving the Thunder Warriors as well as a good whack of back story about the planet.

C&C welcomed and encouraged!

Wonderful wonderful work! This is truly inspired! :wub:

Thanks mate!

These are jaw dropping! The thunder warriors are sweet but oh man, their leader is jaw dropping. The flyers also have a nice, sleek design to them. Excited to see them with more paint on them!

Cheers mate, really happy with the Tattered Prince and how we came out. Yeah really wanted the fliers to look a little more believeable than standard 40k offerings haha.

Great additions :smile.:, especially the "sniper"  (that looks like a "panzerbüchse" :biggrin.:)

Cheers mate! Yeah definitely wanted the rifle to have an AT rfile vibe to it.

They are fantastic taking shape as a force and colour like that!

Love the addition of the eagle head on the banner and the shock. The Surgeon is awesome - so much character! Vehicles are also turning out nicely. T-6a Laska seems a tad small width-wise although that never bothered Warhammer vehicles too much :wink: How does she compare to the size of a Rhino?

Great job overall! This is a fantastic project :thumbsup:  

Thanks mate! Yeah wanted teh Surgeon to have a bit of creepiness to him. Yeah no way the Laska could fit 12 mortal troops in it let alone 6 recon thunderwarriors, but I imagine they just hang on the size etc. Yeah 40k and vehicle scale have never worked well. 20 marines in a storm eagle... suuuure. Its about the size of a chimear, just a bit skinnier.

Oh oh oh!!!! I just discovered this thread now, amazing work!!

Thanks mate, hope you're enjoying it! 

That artwork you got is awesome and does the Tattered right! Going to have to dig into that fluff soon even though I know its going to lead me down the rabbit hole of wanting more 40k stuff that I can't handle haha.

Hey Gang,

Been busily painting on the trial Thunder Warrior who is almost complete.

Just though I'd show my attempts at rain run off/drops on the model. Really wanted a dark, stormy vibe to this army and trying somehow to show they are in a rain storm. This is part of it, which I think has come out not too badly!

Would love your thoughts!

gallery_40397_16000_527975.jpg

That artwork you got is awesome and does the Tattered right! Going to have to dig into that fluff soon even though I know its going to lead me down the rabbit hole of wanting more 40k stuff that I can't handle haha.

Thanks mate, dude just did it for fun after seeing the Tattered Prince on Reddit. He has graciously allowed me to use it in the forthcoming minidex. Do it man, have a read and let me know your thoughts!

Man your guys have to be the best thunder warrior project out there currently! The gritty painting style complements the conversions very well, I probably wouldn't change a thing.

Man that's mouth-wateringly good! I cannot wait to see these guy fighting in the rain. I always see cool water effect some hobbyists do for battleships and gundams and what not so that is always sweet to see. Any chance you'll have splashing puddles where there are hard foot steps, maybe he have little impacts on the armor where rain has splatted on the surface?

Man your guys have to be the best thunder warrior project out there currently! The gritty painting style complements the conversions very well, I probably wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks a heap mate! Pretty happy with how they are coming out so far! 

The rainy look is great!

Cheers! Will hopefully become a bit more refined as time goes on! 

That rain effect is ridiculously cool.

These guys are shaping up into an incredible force.

Thanks mate! Really trying to convey a dark, brooding battlefield haha. Yeah just a whole horde of stuff to go :P

Man that's mouth-wateringly good! I cannot wait to see these guy fighting in the rain. I always see cool water effect some hobbyists do for battleships and gundams and what not so that is always sweet to see. Any chance you'll have splashing puddles where there are hard foot steps, maybe he have little impacts on the armor where rain has splatted on the surface?

Thanks man! Always loved those diorams you speak of! Currently (as we speak) I've got a layer of water effects drying on the pace that has snips of fishing line poking out that will eventually be dutrned into bits of rain hitting with little spashes around them. I'd love to do the same on the armour, but I feel due to it being a gaming model they'll get ripped off etc, so just have to settle for the base 'splash' effects. The model does have a multi layered 'flecking' of water effects from an angle over its right shoulder in the same direction as its cloak, so in person that side looks a bit more wet and shiny than the dudes left side if that makes sense?

Thanks for all the kind words gang! 

Man, I forget you are gaming with these dudes. I seriously keep thinking these are pieces of art that needs to sit on a plinth in a museum. The quality is just that top notch! Looking forward to the next update so I can drool over the paint and rain effect!

Man, I forget you are gaming with these dudes. I seriously keep thinking these are pieces of art that needs to sit on a plinth in a museum. The quality is just that top notch! Looking forward to the next update so I can drool over the paint and rain effect!

Haha thanks mate. Yeah need to make them relatively structurally sound haha. Well wait no longer, I think I've finished the test warrior!

gallery_40397_16000_450171.jpeg

As perusual I'm pretty terrible at pics, but this is a nice frontal shot of him. Ran him through Snapseed on my phone to try nad correct the colour to what it looks like in real life.

gallery_40397_16000_541970.jpeg

This pic shows off the drips running from his claok and weapon pretty well. Again a bit comical, but we are limited by the medium haha.

gallery_40397_16000_590096.jpeg

Gratiutious scloak shot, actually nicely shows the rain drops on it!

gallery_40397_16000_1214054.jpeg

So opted to add in some drops of rain striking the ground. Add some splashes from a bit of rain. So hopefully it has gotten the raining effect across!

So pretty happy with how the test model came out, now I need to start working on the bulk of them and firing out a way to mass produce the rain effects that won't drive me nuts haha.

Would love y'all input!

Cheers

That is gorgeous! The mode and paint job are prime Grimdark and gritty! The rain effects are definitely cool. Seeing it on the base and the droplets on the cloak.

How long does it take to make and set the rain drops on the base?

That is gorgeous! The mode and paint job are prime Grimdark and gritty! The rain effects are definitely cool. Seeing it on the base and the droplets on the cloak.

How long does it take to make and set the rain drops on the base?

Thanks mate! 

The raindrops on the base where quite easy. Just get the fine scale fishing line the lenght you want + about 4-6mm. Hold it with some tweezers and heat the extra with a liter, when it does its weird zip-up melt thing quickly push it down on a desk or something. Which turns it into an upsdie 'T'. You then use the larger bottom surface to glue it onto the base, glue the desired amount on, then go over it with the wet effects. 

I'mma be real with you.

I keep mentally saying "Like .. Tears ... in the rain ..." every time I see those raindrop effects.

Which, I suspect, probably translates as my subconscious thinking you've done an even better job than my conscious does. They look great painted, nice use of palette and detailing. Only thing I'd be concerned about is whether those rain-strings are as fragile as they look, because it'd be a shame to put all that effort in and then spend half the time you do anything with the miniature around protruding ruins or what-not, concerned about a breakage thereof. 

Dangit .. I just went to look at them again and I could straight-up *hear the rain* in my head. Partially it's probably because it's been about 25 hours since last semi-sleep .. but largely, I think it's because you really have done a superlative job at the 'atmosphere' [apparently in multiple senses of the term] of them. 

Well *done* 

I'mma be real with you.

I keep mentally saying "Like .. Tears ... in the rain ..." every time I see those raindrop effects.

Which, I suspect, probably translates as my subconscious thinking you've done an even better job than my conscious does. They look great painted, nice use of palette and detailing. Only thing I'd be concerned about is whether those rain-strings are as fragile as they look, because it'd be a shame to put all that effort in and then spend half the time you do anything with the miniature around protruding ruins or what-not, concerned about a breakage thereof. 

Dangit .. I just went to look at them again and I could straight-up *hear the rain* in my head. Partially it's probably because it's been about 25 hours since last semi-sleep .. but largely, I think it's because you really have done a superlative job at the 'atmosphere' [apparently in multiple senses of the term] of them. 

Well *done* 

Thanks a heap mate!

You know what, there is actually a fair whack of similarities between the replicants and Thunder Warriors if you think about it. Consider that now stolen and will possibly have some connotations in the fluff/pure cheaky quote steal! So thank you for that one good sir! 

The rain drips + Drops + splashes are 5lb fishing line, with aryldyte on them superglued onto pretty generous contact points on the model. I can easily hold the model and jiggle it by the rain drop/drip so should be pretty suitable for gaming haha.

25 hours of no sleep will certainly do that to you man! But thank you very much, I really intent to have these as atmospheric as humanly possible! 

What all others have said; you have a really knocked these out of the park! That rain effect is so cool; and will look even more impactful; if possible, when all the models are done and together with it. Great work and an inspiration.

What all others have said; you have a really knocked these out of the park! That rain effect is so cool; and will look even more impactful; if possible, when all the models are done and together with it. Great work and an inspiration.

Thanks a heap mate! 

Hey Gang,

Just moving through some of the less exciting bulk bits now before I start on a trio of Thunder Warriors to trial the batch painting of them :P.

Anyway just smashing out the 3 An-3 Tashcit Sovas. These are using the arvus lighter rules, but in fluff they will be small military transports that were nominally categorized as civilian utility craft to avoid the demilitarization of the Zavista-Grads when compliance was achieved. Think Germany and its 'tractors' that totally weren't tanks during the 30s.

gallery_40397_16000_48843.jpg

gallery_40397_16000_11487.jpg

So given the heavy russian influence I want with at least the mortal troops in this army the flyer (and all the vehicles) are painted using mainly colours used on russian WW2 aircraft. I'lve got some USSR aircraft transfers and warning symbols etc that will be going onto them to really drive home the parallel. The reasoning behind the 'standard' camo for a gas planet is that I really want to drive home that the Zavista Grads are bloody huge, so aircraft moving over them during combat operations would nominally have 'ground' under them that would vary from fields, parceled land and cities etc.

The reasoning behind the extreme change of the Arvus lighters was to have the An-3s look similar to the larger 'Not Storm Eagle' flyer the Mi-24 to show they both come from a similar design philosophy.

Hope you enjoy, more to come as per usual, but will hopefully have these 3 little kids squared away over the next week :).

Hey gang,

Work has been slow sorry, just needed to get a comission finished for a mate so should be done in a day or two... but here is what I've been doing :P

gallery_40397_16395_25459.jpg

He wanted them to be a bit closer to the artwork, hopefully I've got it across a mite better than the standard models :P

Absolutely cracking!

Any more work on the StormEagle?

R

Thanks mate!

The 'Storm Eagle' will get a count of paint after these 3 are done, wanted to use them to confirm my process sort of dealio :P.

Some really amazing stuff here. I especially like the water effects.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thanks mate! I'm pretty pleased with how they came out also, was a bit fiddly, but gets the point across!

They look great! Very good good camouflage execution :smile.:

Thanks mate! Took far too long masking though haha

Oh, they’re beautiful!

Cheers brother!