++A Cloak of Foes Felled++ Thunder Warriors in 30k

TheTrans

Hey, I like the Streloks! :biggrin.:
They are wonderfully worn-out. Love their glasses! I think the only thing I'm missing are some brighter details on them, that would make them more distinctive and less of a green-grey mass of meat-shields. For example that hair plume on the leader could use a touch of more vivid colour shade. But I totally buy that they are rugged, battered soldiers fighting for as long as they can remember.

The new count-as-ogryns are a wonderful idea! I really look forward to what you do with them further along the way.
Really goo job! :smile.:

Edited by Majkhel

• 2 months later...

Heya gang,

I know I talked big game about being back on the plog but hey, life gets in the way haha.

Managed to snag the women of my dreams on the 27th of March so big ole 'life tick' there haha:

166314530_10160652188918219_527365414420

Anyway, back to what we are here to talk about haha.

As I think I've said previously I've got an event coming up for the 12th of June so has certainly put the spurs into my side....had a sick kid last week and have a school camp next week so I've got a month to complete the 1750 part of the army, my list looks a little scary, but here is hoping I can get it done!

Currently Done
3x Arvus
1x Rhino
20x Grenadiers
5x Weapon Teams
4x Cataegis
In Process to finish painting
5x 'Dying' Cataegis (Need matt + satin varnishes, rain drops, mud splatter)
1x Tattered Prince (Going in for final detail and tidy pass this evening)
1x Cataegis Banner Bearer (Going in for final detail pass and tidy this evening)
1x Montebank (primus medicae, about 80% done)
3x Medicae's (about to have first streaking grime pass)
3x Objectives (as above)
1x Cyber Mastif (For TP's base, as above)
1x Mi-24 (just needs its final 'rain' pass)
9x 40mm bases (ready to be undercoated)
2x 50mm bases (mountebank + TP base, so need a bit more work than usual)
3x 25mm bases (ready to be undercoated)
1x Massive custum flyer base (needs some more detailing, then ready for undercoat)
So a bit terrifying when put tlike that, but many of those are sitting in 'batched' with others so when I complete 1 group, it will hopefully tick of 3-6 of the things on the list haha. #gotthis #keepcalmandcarryon
But onto some WiPs of what I've been working on.

Here we've got the Tattered Prince's head, needs a little bit more work with some glazes to change some skin tones as well as his eyes, but almost done!

gallery_40397_16000_84350.jpg

(pics are a little blurry, figuring out the new phones camera haha)

Hopefully it conveys all the skin grafts and generally bad condition his face is in!

Next up is the titular Cloak of Foes Felled. As for some reason the thing that has stuck in my head for this project has been the Tattered Prince's cloak. I really wanted to try and have a variety of legions show, which I managed to do, but the only issue was how 'quilty' it turns out given the variation in colour. So while it is a bit gaudy, I hope it has conveyed what I was looking for.

Quick one about the idea behind it was to have a cloack (and banner) made from strips of enemies banners and what not that the Tattered Prince and his bros have beaten in combat as sort of trophies aswell as a very big FU to the marine legions.

gallery_40397_16000_178441.jpeg

Now my free hand certainly pales in comparison to some of the stuff we see in here (and the wider 30k community, but I think the different swatches convey who they are from for the most part.

Next up is the Tattered Prince's banner. This guy honestly is just the Nullificator Sarge, so will always be on the board!

gallery_40397_16000_683729.jpeg

Again as with the cloack, needs a weathering pass, so should tone it down a little with the matt varnish, mud and rain drops. The Raptor's head isn't as blatant as I'd like, so if anyone has any ideas on how to get its outline to stick out a bit more let me know. I've already tried adding a bit of a shadow around the edges of it, but not quite enough!

Also the latest incarnation of fluff, as well as the lists I'll be running for the upcoming event (1750 AoD and 1k ZM defender)

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dakme4gjzy5k0ct/Tattered%20Prince%20WiP.pdf?dl=0

As per forever, if you have any feedback or ideas (especially for getting that raptor head to show up a bit better) please hit me up!)

Oh my....amazing

Thanks mate!

This is fantastic... Please never stop.

I will endeavour not to haha.

Hey, I like the Streloks! :biggrin.:
They are wonderfully worn-out. Love their glasses! I thing the only thing I'm missing are some brighter details on them, that would make them more distinctive and less of a green-grey mass of meat-shields. For example that hair plume on the leader could use a touch of more vivid colour shade. But I totally buy that they are rugged, battered soldiers fighting for as long as they can remember.

The new count-as-ogryns are a wonderful idea! I really look forward to what you do with them further along the way.
Really goo job! :smile.:

Thanks Majkhel! Its a super hard line I've found trying to have the sort of toned down colour that one would expect in a dreary, rain drenched battlefield, while still trying to have some visually eye catching parts on the models, is why I really lent into the lenses to be quite bringt and blatant, but yeah there certainly isn't a lot of 'pop' to the models which I've always found to be my Achilles Heel.

The Ogryn-Cataegis are actually in their final stages of completion, I'll probably have some pics of them up toward the end of the week, I really tried to find the middle between dying due to crippling mutations, and furnaces of terrible energy that can still murder fools quite easily.

Congrats on the marriage!!!

Ā 

---ok back to GW business---

Ā 

Holy Moly! These are fantastic! How do you sculpt the intricated detailing into the cloth (stitching, etc)?Ā  Ā Also are the chain mail and leather straps around their waists, are those press molded?

Congrats on the marriage!!!

Ā 

---ok back to GW business---

Ā 

Holy Moly! These are fantastic! How do you sculpt the intricated detailing into the cloth (stitching, etc)?Ā  Ā Also are the chain mail and leather straps around their waists, are those press molded?

Thanks man! Was a great day..

Ā 

now back to it!Ā 

Ā 

The leather straps on all the Cataegis belts are indeed press molds from one of Sevrin Loth's bodyguard bros. The chainmail is a GSW press mould then sort of cut to shape and layered on over the top.Ā 

Ā 

The stitching is the easiest part haha, I made a little 'stitch' tool which I just push into the model where I want a stitch to occur, easiest thing int he world!Ā 

Congratulations on your marriage.... wishing you all happiness and good fortune:yes:

Ā 

Every aspect of your Tattered Prince project looks absolutely awesome:thumbsup: This is my first visit to your thread, but I will definitely be following it. Keep up the good work.

Congrats!

Ā 

And that banner is fantastic

Thanks and thank you!Ā 

Ā 

Congratulations on your marriage.... wishing you all happiness and good fortune:yes:

Ā 

Every aspect of your Tattered Prince project looks absolutely awesome:thumbsup: This is my first visit to your thread, but I will definitely be following it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks mate! That certainly is the dream haha

Ā 

Thanks brother, is taking its sweet time haha, didn't realise how much a kid can chew up your spare hobby time haha.. should be getting it neatened up in coming months though!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

And what praytell does this stitch tool look like? :wink:

I'll see if I can get a picture, but its just a tine bit of metal pipe that I squished into the sort of 'pill' shape of the stitch, then thinned the edges of it down. Attached it into the end of an old paint brush and boom, stitch-stamp!Ā 

Hey Trans, congratulations on a huge milestone in probably the greatest project of your life!! :D

Very nice update! The banner and cloak is a fantastic riot of colours! Loving the patina on the armour plates too.

I was thinking that in case of the banner it looks a bit new and also the bannerman gets kind of lost next to it. I would try a light glaze of a single colour to bring the banner's colours together a bit and maybe show age? A light-brown/beige perhaps?Ā 
Carry on, this is such a fantastic projectĀ :thumbsup:

Still cracking along.Ā 

The Tattered Prince is almost done (sans base and rain pass) thank god!:

0pabqfrvz2071.jpg

Pretty happy with how he came out and I find his head 'pop's just enough to be a bit of a focal point!

Ā 

Hey Trans, congratulations on a huge milestone in probably the greatest project of your life!! :biggrin.:

Very nice update! The banner and cloak is a fantastic riot of colours! Loving the patina on the armour plates too.

I was thinking that in case of the banner it looks a bit new and also the bannerman gets kind of lost next to it. I would try a light glaze of a single colour to bring the banner's colours together a bit and maybe show age? A light-brown/beige perhaps?Ā 
Carry on, this is such a fantastic projectĀ :thumbsup:

Thanks mate! Was a great day and have now ticked off the 'adulting' trifecta haha.

Yeah I found the patina was a good way of calming down the bronze/gold and sort of steer them away from custodes a bit more.Ā 

Yeah with banner/cloack I'm going to give them a gloss varnish, then a super light coat of streaking grime, then reduce that back down to very low levels, should 'ground' them a bit more in the over all tone of the model.

Thanks mate!Ā 

Ā 

Ah! Thank you! I have the concept. Consider it stolen :biggrin.:

Steal away good sir!Ā 

Very good progress on the Prince. You maanaged to capture the muted, 'faded glory' feel really wellĀ :thumbsup:

Did the streaking grime pass last night and it definitely softened the cloak and banner so small victories mate!!

Ā 

Fantastic to hear mate, really want them to have that, as you so aptly put it, 'faded glory' vibe. I also want them to clearly be pretty self serving dicks, that at heart are monsters.. but the mortals fighting under them see them as saviours.. or are at least fed enough propaganda to have a similar effect!Ā 

Ā 

B R U H

Ā 

This has been an absolute treat to read through. Congratulations on your marriage!

Ā 

This just sky rocketed up there into my favorite plogs folder.

Thanks mate!

Ā 

Ah there would have been quite a bit to chew through and I'm pretty sure the thunder warrior design got quite solidly flipped on its head didn't it? haha.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Work has been continuing quite thoroughly!

Due to another 'snap' lock down in vic, the event will not be running tomrrow, but on the 26th.

This has allowed me to take a little more time with the models thank god, so most of them are done, sans some water effects touch ups and their bases being tidied up and blacked out.

Anyway, here is a WiP of the Tattered Prince (pic is a few days old so some more work has been done on him).

gallery_40397_16000_537649.jpg

So in the coming days I should be starting to finalise the parts of the army for the 26th and I'll try and get some happy snaps as they are completed!

I've also finalised the book for the 26th also! The lists I'll be taking are in the back of it!
The Tattered Prince

Congrats on the marriage!

Super nice work on that patchwork banner, nice way to add a mix of colours into the force, without breaking theme.

Thanks mate! The banner/cloak have been an idea, or a plan since conception of the project..but I never actually sort of thought how it would look once painted haha.

Congratulations with your marriage.
That's an exellent hobby diversion you netted there

I utterly love your models.
Truly masterpieces. I especially like the rain drops. Great atmosphere.

Yeah was a solid few days of diversion I can assure you haha!

Thanks a heap mate! Glad you enjoy them! Yeah I really wanted to convey a level of just a torrential level of rain smashing in onto the battlefield, with these big nasty bastards striding forth!

Congrats.

Thanks Mate!

Very nice progress!
Between the base you created, the scaffolding for the rain and the billowing cloak I'm getting a strong feel of the wind and melancholyĀ and passing time evenĀ :thumbsup:Ā 
Choosing amber colour for the gems is spot on. I think I also see some solid toning down of the garments' colours as well as more patina on the armour which I find much to my tastes as it makes the contrasting colours on the Prince's face stand out more.

EDIT: also, nice read of the Cataegis' exploits :wink:
Also, I think you need to build some kind of tech-adept with all the data-djinns' usage you have in the lore :D

Edited by Majkhel

Very nice progress!

Between the base you created, the scaffolding for the rain and the billowing cloak I'm getting a strong feel of the wind and melancholyĀ and passing time evenĀ :thumbsup:Ā 

Choosing amber colour for the gems is spot on. I think I also see some solid toning down of the garments' colours as well as more patina on the armour which I find much to my tastes as it makes the contrasting colours on the Prince's face stand out more.

Ā 

Also, I think you need to build some kind of tech-adept with all the data-djinns' usage you have in the lore :biggrin.:

Ā 

Thanks a heap man!! Glad sort of a melancholy vibe shimmied across, definitely the sort of vibe I wanted, like a faded glory about him, well past his prime, but still terrifying to behold, on multpile levels haha.Ā 

Ā 

Oh I'm with you on that front man...but i was thinking maybe having a forgelord...who..I don't know... may be some form of outlawed technology like a man of iron? :PĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Very nice progress!

Between the base you created, the scaffolding for the rain and the billowing cloak I'm getting a strong feel of the wind and melancholy and passing time even :thumbsup:

Ā 

Also, I think you need to build some kind of tech-adept with all the data-djinns' usage you have in the lore :biggrin.:

Thanks a heap man!! Glad sort of a melancholy vibe shimmied across, definitely the sort of vibe I wanted, like a faded glory about him, well past his prime, but still terrifying to behold, on multpile levels haha.

Ā 

Oh I'm with you on that front man...but i was thinking maybe having a forgelord...who..I don't know... may be some form of outlawed technology like a man of iron? :P

I'm getting some Roy Batty vibes from the update.

Ā 

Like tears in the rain.

The Tattered Prince is finally done, thank god!

Stezhok Tsesarevich, The Tattered Prince

It is believed that Stezhok Tsesarevich was the last Primarch of the XXth Legiones Cataegis taking on the rank informally after the Ararat Massacre to act as a rallying point for the remaining Thunder Warriors of his formation. The position he held prior to this is unknown given the destruction of most Imperial records regarding the Legiones Cataegis but is surmised he was at the very most a Cohort-Legate, the equivalent to an Astartes Sergeant.
Imperial forces long presumed he and his surviving comrades were killed during the failed coup of Provost Marshal Kandawire along with most of the remaining Cataegis not long after unification was declared.
No more than 20 years had passed into the Great Crusade when reports started trickling in of huge gene-bulked warriors leading spotfire rebellions on nominally compliant worlds.
It was at this time the moniker ā€˜Tattered Princeā€™ started being used in regard to many of these revolts. This was in part due to the banners held aloft by these large warriors were generally a mismatch of Imperial Legionary standards. Also rumored was that their leaderā€™s face, much like the banners, was a patchwork of poorly fused skin grafts, fresh sutures and cancerous flesh.
These small uprisings, if left unchecked, could turn into system wide rebellions. No matter how quick an Imperial response was dispatched, by the time of their arrival the Tattered Prince and his monstrous warriors were gone, akin to the ancient Terran legend of Kesar So-Sayd.
He quickly became a figure of folklore, a monster in the dark, a threat to badly behaved children; ā€œEat your nutrient gruel or the Tattered Prince will take you and create a new faceā€.
Many uprisings within the Imperium were blamed on him, with conflicting reports of him being sighted or killed sectors away from each other ran rampart.
When Horusā€™ civil war started to ravage the nascent Imperium the Tattered Prince opted to be an impartial third party and not commit to either side, instead opting to hamper both factions to the best of his ability.
It is unknown why the Tattered Prince opted to make Vozdukh Glavnaya his base of operations given his generally nomadic approach to clandestine warfare. Some scholars believe the world was ripe for revolution, others feel its culture reminded him of his rumoured youth in Ursh, the more unimaginative believed it to just be a matter of timing.
Whatever the reason, in an unprecedentedly short period he managed to yoke most of the planet under his rule, touting himself as a benevolent leader, there to look after the best interests of Vozdukh Glavnayaā€™s people.While subjugating the planet he managed to shift the majority of the its economy and production to a war footing, giving himself a small, but fledgling planetary empire.
This gave him enough manpower and material to commit himself to carefully chosen battles during the civil war. Not only that, given his expansive training and decades of experience in clandestine operations allowed him to not only bloody the nose of smaller Imperial and Traitor armies alike, but outright destroy unprepared strong points and mustering forces.
As the horrific civil war rages on and both sides expend even greater amounts of resources to eradicate each other, the Tattered Prince continues to build his patchwork forces, from discontent worlds, uncommitted fleets and ravaged armies.
While his power grows, the Tattered Prince keeps his remaining Cataegis as his personal huscarls and has bestowed the gift to the now fanatical Glavnayans of being his bodyguard formation. Whenever the Tattered Prince takes to the field, he is surrounded by devout believers, every soldier, mortal and Cataegis alike, willing to die for their lord.
While strategically he is as shrewd and meticulous a commander as any, In battle he is a furnace of caged energy, as aggressive and belligerent as all the Cataegis before him. That was what the Emperor had made him and his brother warriors to be and they had never let him down in that.
ā€œHa, Lupercal bleats of betrayal? Of feeling discarded? He was but a pup, suckling on the teat of some Cythonian wet nurse when the Great Czar attempted to cull us.
It turns out we were nothing but chattels to him, to be thrown away so his new play things could flourish..ā€ - Stezhok Tsesarevich, The Tattered Prince

(As per usual, my ability to take decent photos are terrible)

gallery_40397_16000_28613.jpeg
So just a front shot. If people may recognise it, the base is primarily Mortarions base, but I rejigged its footprint a little so I could fit it onto a 50mm base.

gallery_40397_16000_146783.jpeg
Not a great deal to see there except for splashing water and rain. He does ahve some funky looking medical stuff attached to his belt as well as some knives, because what warlord doesn't like knives?

gallery_40397_16000_130639.jpeg

Good shot of his Disruptor-Plasma Glaive. Acts as a Thunderhammer/Lightning Claw combo. Used the Custodes Dread spear so his weapon had definite nods to the weapons carried by the normal Cataegis under his command.

gallery_40397_16000_727176.jpeg

This pic is ideally showing off the 'Cloak of Foes Felled' Once rain and mud got added to it I think it dragged to be a bit more inline with the model, while still having points of interest if people care to ahve a look.

gallery_40397_16000_198529.jpeg

The dog was added to liven up his base a bit, and I like to imagine that he would always have a few cyber-mastiffs floating around, being betrayed and betraying people quite often i feel that some ultra-loyal pooches watching your back would never hurt.

gallery_40397_16000_235138.jpeg

Just a close in (and oddly blurry when zoomed this much) shot of his face, ideally shwoing off the patchwork naturue of him.

gallery_40397_16000_626094.jpeg

Just a gratuitous shot of his carbine. I imagine he shoots it in a similar way to Arnie in Terminator 2 with the level action shotgun.

gallery_40397_16000_362182.jpeg

Just a slightly different angle of the cloak.

Hope you guys like him, i really enjoyed building him and painting him, luckily, didn't feel like pulling teeth!

The 1750 army is now finished so I'll be getting pics of new units up as days trundle by, so watch this space!

Cheers,
Nick