Gamma310s Tiger Eyes - Legio Fureans VS Legio Gryphonicus

Gamma310

Hey all,

Under normal circumstances I'm more of a silent reader in this forum. But since I started painting the Adeptus Titanicus Miniatures I've been looking for a community to participate in. By pure chance I stumbled over this part of the forum and decided I wanna be a part of this.

So what can you expect in here?

Since my buddy in crime is kind of a slow painter and I want to play with painted Titans I decided to buy, build and paint two legions to have something to play with. In this Blog I’m hoping to chronicle my journey into slow madness of painting a :cussload of Titans.

Furthermore I’ll post some snippets of Fluff and Background for my Titans. But be gentle, English is not my first language so it might be a little rough around the edges.

Well anyway, let’s start with a first "blurry" picture of what is painted up to date:

5bdfe784d7f13_20181030_2000251.jpg.62d40

I didn’t really think about what kind of Battlegroup I wanted to play so I just painted a few of everything for the Tiger Eyes. The weapons are all magnetised so I can change them whenever I want. By now I know that I want to have a Regia Maniple, but what kind of maniple would suit the rest?

Gryphonicus will be started as soon as my next delivery arrives. Most likely I’ll paint a Myrmidon Maniple with two Warlords and three Reavers for them.

Looking forward to getting your feedback and input.

Cheers

Gamma

Edited by Gamma310

Needs more Titans. :p

Seriously, that’s an impressive start. I also have plans to paint up a second Battlegroup to face my first, but I would need to paint the first before that happens. Looking forward to Gryphonicus. Are you planning to convert any Reavers?

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Those Titans look awesome. A really nice yellow and great flames! Once I finish my Defensor Maniple (eventualllyyyyyyyyy!) I'll be looking at some traitors and Fureans are pretty tempting :) 

Very nice, especially with good bases. It'll be interesting to follow the progress with the War Griffons.

If you're going with a somewhat static Regia maniple for your Fureans, you could try supporting it with a nimble Corsair group of Reavers. Fureans can get pretty funky moves off if they constantly fire up their spirits and have the mobility to capitalize on it without getting forced out of position they couldn't maneuver out of.

Hey all,

Under normal circumstances I'm more of a silent reader in this forum. But since I started painting the Adeptus Titanicus Miniatures I've been looking for a community to participate in. By pure chance I stumbled over this part of the forum and decided I wanna be a part of this.

And we're glad you did! Welcome to the AT forum, it's great to see more people joining! :thumbsup:

So what can you expect in here?

Since my buddy in crime is kind of a slow painter and I want to play with painted Titans I decided to buy, build and paint two legions to have something to play with. In this Blog I’m hoping to chronicle my journey into slow madness of painting a :cussload of Titans.

Furthermore I’ll post some snippets of Fluff and Background for my Titans. But be gentle, English is not my first language so it might be a little rough around the edges.

Well anyway, let’s start with a first "blurry" picture of what is painted up to date:

Hidden Content

5bdfe784d7f13_20181030_2000251.jpg.62d40

Ermm... :unsure.: ermm... AWESOME? Man I feel so humbled when people present their state of the art yellow Titans... Congrats man, this is an excellent force and you should be rightly proud of it! Amazing looking... And the bases too. You really made this one a labour of love!

I didn’t really think about what kind of Battlegroup I wanted to play so I just painted a few of everything for the Tiger Eyes. The weapons are all magnetised so I can change them whenever I want. By now I know that I want to have a Regia Maniple, but what kind of maniple would suit the rest?

Gryphonicus will be started as soon as my next delivery arrives. Most likely I’ll paint a Myrmidon Maniple with two Warlords and three Reavers for them.

Looking forward to getting your feedback and input.

Cheers

Gamma

OK, alright, before you start on Gryphonicus, check this out, maybe you'll find it of interest. :smile.:

Thank you for all the nice words. :smile.:

Very nice, especially with good bases. It'll be interesting to follow the progress with the War Griffons.

If you're going with a somewhat static Regia maniple for your Fureans, you could try supporting it with a nimble Corsair group of Reavers. Fureans can get pretty funky moves off if they constantly fire up their spirits and have the mobility to capitalize on it without getting forced out of position they couldn't maneuver out of.

The bases are actually very easy to do. But I made the mistake to paint the Titans seperate and then gluing them onto the finished base. I might have to change thath, because sometimes they do not fit as intended..

I thought about purchasing another three warlors so I could either play them as full Myrmidon or low strength Corsair. I think that could work. And it is the perfect excuse to buy mor Titans. ;)

Those Titans look awesome. A really nice yellow and great flames! Once I finish my Defensor Maniple (eventualllyyyyyyyyy!) I'll be looking at some traitors and Fureans are pretty tempting :smile.:

Painting Yellow is kind of annoying but so worth it once you're done with it. I can only recommend painting Fuerans. They look ace!

And we're glad you did! Welcome to the AT forum, it's great to see more people joining! :thumbsup:

Ermm... :unsure.: ermm... AWESOME? Man I feel so humbled when people present their state of the art yellow Titans... Congrats man, this is an excellent force and you should be rightly proud of it! Amazing looking... And the bases too. You really made this one a labour of love!

OK, alright, before you start on Gryphonicus, check this out, maybe you'll find it of interest. :smile.:

Thanks for the nice welcome.

Painting Yellow on Titans is easier than on marines. Because of the scale you can hide mistakes more easily, by example with black flames. ;)

The bases help to make them look like Titans. If you do not have something on the base which indicates their massive scale the miniatures look kind of lost.

Nice, will have to check that out!

Thanks for all the nice motivation you provide.

Gorgeous! I also like the bases. Would love to see individual pics. Eager to see your next steps.

Individual pics will follow this weekend. I havn't really made detail shots up to now.

But work on the first Legio Gryphonicus Reaver has started. It is actually close to beeing finished. But I have no wepaons for it yet since I used them for my Fureans Titans.  And silly me has lost the head as well. No Idea where I put that thing.....

20190220_214429.thumb.jpg.d09b8e5494d7dd

20190220_214415.thumb.jpg.d9afdd3c40aefb

20190220_214424.thumb.jpg.c8fb04a6fcee93

Edited by Gamma310

Yeah, thank the Omnissiah that these weapons sprue seem to be ready for pre order next weekend. So that my reaver can get a head and some weapons very soon. He looks so naked without them.

On Friday I received some reinforcements:

20190222 164720

Saturday evening the assembly line had been completed (including Bases):

IMG 20190223 WA0011

On Sunday the primers were applied corresponding to the final colour (I hate painting trim):

20190224 144915

20190224 144918

20190224 144921

On Sunday evening I painted all the Titan bodies in the base colours and washed the miniatures. I forgot to take photos but the bodies are at 90% and will be completed in the next 12 hours. I’ll provide you with pictures either this evening or tomorrow. And then I’ll have to paint all the armour panels and weapons.

On March the 6th I’ll have to leave for the yearly military service and the painting will be restricted to weekends…

Some Fantastic work! 

Did you order a new head for your titan? 

Shaping up really nicely too - looking forward to seeing them progress! :smile.:

Thanks, I ordered a new head indeed. Once it has arrived I'll magnetise and paint all the Reaver weapons in one go. I'm still hoping they'll bring back the decals in time so I can finish the whole batch but up to now I do not think so. We'll see how this one will end.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I made some progress:

This is what has been painted before:

20190331_171906.thumb.jpg.0056da4e5a071d

This is the new Legio with reinforcements:

20190331_171926.thumb.jpg.5ce0c10684dc27

20190331_172109.thumb.jpg.7298127b5da08b

20190331_172105.thumb.jpg.0b1527e2cf8575

And here the Gryphonicus Titans. Sadly I still have not received my Decal sheet for them...

20190331_171511.thumb.jpg.ecfb8ab4a33118

Detail shots plus fluff will follow in the next post.

20190331_171952.thumb.jpg.764a1b0b81bd43

Jaanva Kolhoo„Ponum Aeras Ruptor“

Princeps: Michandra is the first Princeps of Jaanva Kolhoo. Before she was promoted to the newly built Warlord she was commanding a nimble Warhound and proved her cunning and determination. The change to the bigger war machine did not go easy on her and she struggles very often to keep back and fight from a distance. Instead she prefers close range combat where she can see and feel the demise of her prey up close.

History: Jaanva Kolhoo is a relatively young Titan which was finished right before the start of the Heresy. He is part of a generation of machine spirits which know only the brutal Titan to Tian fighting which is so characteristic of this Civil War. This makes him a dangerous opponent, there is no hesitation and no remorse in any of the machine spirits action. Other Titans are not allies but only victims and prey to him. More than once Michandra had to fight the urge to attack fellow Titans of other Legions whose loyalty was with the Warmaster. Civilians and smaller vehicles are trampled into the dust without even noticing them. Jaanva Kolhoo is all about the Engine kill, the sweet feeling of ripping out a Titans still beating heart. Its name means Breaker of Beasts in low Gothic which is very apt for the brutal way Kolhoo likes to dispatch its enemies.

20190331_171954.thumb.jpg.341adf02e6c342

Par Eskha „Dominus Dominatum“

Princeps: Par Eskha is commanded by Svenja. As the thirteenth daughter of a minor noble House on Incaladion she learnt to fend for herself from the beginning. Her parents were not able to give her more than a good education and her siblings treated her as an unwanted mouth to feed and as concurrence for the meagre heritage of their family. When she was fourteen she ran away from home and joined the Mechanicus. It didn’t’ take her foster father long to realise the potential of this wilful child and after a short amount of time she was sent to the Legio to be trained as a future Princeps. Here talent was enormous and she was so good that she did not have to start her Princeps career in a Warhound but one of the newly built Reavers the Legio received from Mars instead. Her aptness in learning everything as fast as possible made her a valuable asset for the Legio and after a few Decades of service she was promoted to the command of Par Eskha. Since then she has proven to be one of the very best Princeps of the Legio. Shikaree, Par Eskha and their Princeps are a valuable asset for the Legio and strike fear into the heart of their enemies.

History: Par Eskha is nearly as old as Shikaree. The machine spirit is a dominant and wilful beast which will not bow easily. Eskha has to be beat into submission and will only listen to the most headstrong and powerful Princeps. It is said that most of the Princeps which rode this ancient machine were overly self-confident , bordering on arrogance. Where Shikaree is the noble Hunter Queen, Par Eskha is the dominating breaker of any opposition. Most of the time both Titans fight together as King and Queen, as they have been for the millennia past. The deep understanding between the machine spirits influences the Princeps as well. Some even go as far as calling Uskhul and Svenja the King and the Queen.

20190331_172003.thumb.jpg.bef05041d0fd78

Makar Raashi „Caricus Magna“

Princeps: Khatar was born as the son of a Chieftain of a feral tribe and was part of the tribute which is presented to the gods (aka the Mechanicum) annually. Very early one his stubborn determination to achieve his goal no matter the costs made him a valuable resource for the Mechanicum. His physical and psychological patterns were a perfect match for a Titan Princeps and in no time he was put to work as part of a Reaver Crew. At a very early age he proved to be a valuable asset and rose to the role of Moderati Priums of Makar Raashi. His senior Princeps Malverion had a dislike of this “feral barabarian” and stopped his rise to the top abruptly. No matter how hard Khatar tried he was not able to impress his Princeps and therefore the promotion to Princeps seemed to be unattainable. Then the Warmaster decided to overthrow the Emperor and everything changed. Malverion was distrusted be Legio command and Khatar took the chance. During preparation for a combat exercise Malverion had an accident. He slipped off the platform on the back of Makar Raashi and fell to his death. The only witness, Khatar seemed to be the logical choice and was promoted to be Princeps of Makar Raashi. Due to their suspicion of Malvarion no further questions were asked.  Their personalities proved to be an instant match and very soon Malverion was nothing but a side note in the Legio history.

History: Makar Raashi is well known for its fiery demeanour and ability to shrug off damage. The first Princeps Xyleria was known as a brawler and line breaker. Her mental imprint has formed the machine spirit of this god machine into a stubborn entity. Most of the time Makar Raashi can be found wading through enemy defence lines while methodically exterminating any resistance on the ground.

20190331_172006.thumb.jpg.c24a8e36e63fb7

Sabes Shikaree „Primus Interfecta“

Princeps: Blood Princeps (Princeps Senioris) Uskhul Thu was born as part of a feral tribe which gave their firstborn children to their gods (the Legio) as a tribute. At a very young age he showed great promise and was taken up as a pupil into the Legio to be groomed into a Titan Princeps. Uskhul has served as Princeps in Warhounds, Reavers and finally Shikaree. Shortly afterwards he was promoted to the rank of Blood Princeps for his actions on Belari III were he personally killed two enemy Warlords of the Legio Gryphonicus. He is an extraordinary Tactician who is able to read the battle in a way few Princeps can without sever mechanical modification. The Problem is that he is prone to fits of rage as well. As soon as his rage takes over he is a changed man who is only longing for his next kill.

There have been dark rumours about blood sacrifices and dark rituals which were conducted by Uskhul and the rest of Shikarees Crew before battles, long before the Warmaster started his rebellion. Since Horus has openly declared against the Emperor, the rituals are now longer hidden from sight, instead they are celebrated openly for everyone to see. The new gods have to be appeased.

History: Sabes Shikaree is one of the oldest Titans of Legio Fureans. She is fighting for Incaladion since the Age of Strife and has never fallen. Her machine spirit has absorbed the imprints of countless Princeps over the years and is not as warlike as the younger Titans. Princeps who steered Shikaree mentioned visions of battles long ago flooding their minds every time they bond with the Titan. But none the less Shikaree is a huntress and more than able to assist the Princeps in slaying its prey. This venerable Titan is well maintained and should it ever fall one can be sure that the Legio will do whatever is necessary to take back this relic.

20190331_172018.thumb.jpg.b78ccc9bf5ceb6

Satindra „Dominus Veritate“

Princeps: Princeps Jalvar has the nick name „the artist“. This is due to his interest into Poetry and Music. His way of fighting the Titan seperation is the endless reading of poetry and to listen to music. Most people describe him as quite melancholic and withdrawn. Before Jalvar was bonded to Satindra he was well known as a playboy and festive character which enjoyed life to the last. Somehow the bonding process has changed the Princeps forever, turning him into what he is now. Jalvar is closely monitored by his peers but until now his combat record is flawless.

History: Satindra has nearly been lost in combat at the start of the Horus Heresy. Going toe to toe with a Warlord of Legio Gryphonicus left her a broken wreck on the Plains of Belari III. The Magi painstakingly restored her from cannibalized parts from other Reaver wrecks. But the machine spirit has not endured this trial without consequences. The imprint of the dying Princeps has left its traces in the manifold. The machine spirit of Satindra remains a fickle beast, changing from one extreme emotion to the other in a heartbeat. It remains a difficult Titan to command. The Magi who repaired Satindra even went as far as talking about a death wish like emotion which gripped some of them during the repairs. Even today sometimes servitors wired into Satindra die without any logical explanation or root cause, as if they just lost the will to live.

20190331_172023.thumb.jpg.aa7c0b15e087a5

Barachha „Cuspidus Oprum“

Princeps: Usthara was taken into the Legios care after the Magos Biologis analysed her genetical template during one of the harvests. Her outwards rather bland and silent behaviour hides a very efficient Princeps whose drive for perfection is only second to her devotion to the Omnissiah. She is able to steer Barachha not by trying to fight down the aggressive machine spirit but instead channels this aggression into the correct direction. As soon as she enters the Manifold her personality changes into something wild and feral. No longer is she emotionless, instead she becomes a Huntress with the aim to finish of her prey as efficient as possible.

History: Barachha is a hyper aggressive Titan who has the need to finish off his prey no matter how long the hunt may take. Before Usthara there was only one Princeps but due to the strong machine spirit he didn’t last long. The continuous fight against the urge to get up close and quite literally finish the prey by ripping out its still beating heart was too much for him. He became so mentally unstable, that he had to be removed from his post. Since Usthara has taken over the machine seers have noticed that Barachha is no longer as driven as he was before. They cannot explain the sudden change in the machine spirit but the improvement in combat capability is the only reasoning they need.

20190331_172026.thumb.jpg.54f127db6c8fb5

Sinka Yana „Ascensor Leos“

Princeps: Gorkhan was taken away from a unspecified tribe during one of the harvests. The only reason he was not used as cheap labour or servitor material was his will to fight back. Even though he was but a child he fought bravely against anyone trying to take him away from his family. In the end it was to no avail but his behaviour impressed the Magos responsible for the harvest and it was decided to send the Child to the Legio. Gorkhan was partially mind scrapped to prevent any negative repercussions (the loss of his family) on his instruction. Since then Gorkhan proved to be a useful asset for the Legio. His aggression paired with his will to fight on no matter the odds made him good recruit for the newly introduced Reaver Titan program. He was the first Princeps to be bonded with Sinka Yana and both Princeps and Titan had a big impact on each other.

History: Sinka Yana was one of the very first Reaver Titans which were introduced into the Legio. From the beginning it had a very war like machine spirit and was fighting against Gorkhan. Every connection was a clash between machine and man over control and this has not changed over the years. Both are always fighting for control and you never know who is really in charge. Under normal circumstances this would never be accepted but Gorkhan and Sinka Yana are such an effective team, even though they are fighting that the Legio decided to keep this Status Quo. Who will dominate who in the end is still unclear.

20190331_172044.thumb.jpg.cc139f1e56ccff

Khanjar „Inpulsa Pugnis“

Princeps: When people get to meet Narijna most of them belittle her due to her slender frame and innocent look. But as soon as you got to know her you’ll realize that this woman is bat:cuss crazy. Narijna was the firstborn daughter of an influential guild house on Incladion, but never really cared about her obligations and all the fancy procedures. Since she saw a Titan as a little girl, she was convinced that one day she would ride one of those mighty machines herself. When Narijna wants to achieve something it is impossible to stop her. She literally fought her way through the whole training to become a Princeps. Making friends was of no concern to her and this attitude has remained until today. Her pack mates know the can only rely on her as long as it benefits her and therefore she is never entrusted with too much responsibility. Her reckless behaviour is the sole reason why she will remain a Warhound Princeps even after more than five Decades of service. The only reason she is permitted to stay a Princeps is her outstanding abilities as a huntress of bigger prey. In these five Decades she has brought down three Reaver and one Warlord sized enemy fighting vehicles. But since the start of the Rebellion her behaviour has become more erratic. Only time will tell if she will keep her edge or if her mental state will finally break down.

History: As her Princeps Khanjar is an outcast as well. Khanjar prefers to fight its prey in close combat and does not want to share any of the glory. Instead of relying on the pack for support Khanjar wants to charge directly into melee. Narijna is all too eager to acknowledge this behaviour and together they have been proven to be efficient killers. Their recklessness has brought both of them close to death more than once and it is only a matter of time before their luck will run out.

20190331_172046.thumb.jpg.2dcb34d8d66786

Thalvaar „Gladi Inepia“

Princeps: Shiklar is the Princeps of Thalvaar. He is rather inexperienced and new to the role of Princeps. His look and behaviour designate his feral roots and he never managed to get accustomed to the rigid structures of the Mechanicum. Despite all of this his Superiors have faith in this young Princeps and see a lot of potential for future promotions. Only time will tell if he will keep up to the pressure and if Shiklar is able to be change according to the needs for a higher position.

History: The Princeps which have interacted with Thalvaars all describe the manifestation of his machine spirit as a sword consisting of molten metal. This description fits the behaviour of Thalvaar pretty well. Always poised for the strike, quick to anger and ready to strike down any foe of the Legion.

20190331_172049.thumb.jpg.e774dfb4e13362

Nishghaat „Noctis Insidii“

Princeps: Nurcenia is a born huntress. She is the perfect addition to Nishghaats machine spirit, the embodiment of patience and malice. Some call her a coward for shying away from fair fights but she knows that to survive a Warhound Princeps needs cunning and patience. Courage and brawling is what gets you killed, it is the hunters patience that keeps you alive. Her self-confidence is enormous and this makes her the born pack leader. Other will bow to her strong will or be broken and pushed to the side-lines. This behaviour has led to clashes with superiors but due to her effectiveness she is left alone. Why would you want to chain such a savage hunting Beast anyway?

History: Nishghaats machine spirit can only be described as wicked beast. Driven by hate and malice Nishghaat enjoys nothing more than attacking from ambush and killing its prey with its weapons and feet. Shying away from direct combat, Nishghaat is a hunter and not a brawler.

20190331_172058.thumb.jpg.2b2d830bfe32d8

Shikaaree “Citus Venati“

Princeps: Malkor prefers to work alone and outside of the chain of command. This makes him perfect for the role of outrider and scout. Wilful and head strong he does not integrate well into the pack and friction with superiors is very common. Warhound Princeps are famous for their out of the norm behaviour and this is more or less tolerated since these traits prove to be mostly advantageous for their use.

History: Famous for bringing down the Reaver “Ferrata Insutio” of Legio Gryphonicus on Belari III Shikaaree is a patient and accurate huntress. The machine spirit of Shikaaree prefers to kill its enemies from a distance with a well-placed shot. Getting up close, weapons blazing and stomping the enemy is better left for other machines. The precise application of force onto the right target at the right time for the perfect kill, is the trademark of this machine spirit.

20190331_172100.thumb.jpg.d846da973f2ee0

Naret gulel „Lapida Iactum“

Princeps: Arkhan is not a typical Warhound Princeps. Rather cautious and withdrawn he prefers to kill unseen and from a distance. In the pack he is the one to stay back and provide covering fire for his pack mates while they get up close and shred the prey in close combat. Personally he is well liked by his fellow Principes, even though they do not treat him overly respectful. Arkhan is one of the very few Princeps which have been serving for such a long time in a Warhound that they have to be interred into an amniotic tank. Some would say this is proof of his outstanding skill but most see it as a sign of lacking courage and aggression. All of this is of no concern to Arkhan, he knows all too well that when many of this young Warhound Princeps will be forgotten he will still be commanding Naret gulel and fight for the Legio.

History: Naret gulels machine spirit is a rather proud thing for a Warhound. Its lineage can be traced back into the age of strife and this Titan has been hunting prey for a long time. Still Naret gulel is a rather withdrawn machine spirit. Instead of trying to take over it is more like a second consciousness looking over your shoulder. Steadying your hand and slightly adjusting your aim for the perfect shot. It is well liked by its crew and machine priests alike.

Wow, that's some serious fluff. Good read!

Thanks for the compliment. I hope the english is not horrible to read. ;)

20190406 111742

So I've finished my Gryphonicus Maniple. Sadly my Decal Sheet got lost during shipping (thank you DHL) and it is hard to find one for a decent price. Might have to wait until the reprint at GW...

At the Moment I'm building some terrain and anoter Reaver (Fureans) to paint. After that I might tackle the Knights (boooring).