gallery_62972_14467_16755.jpg

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Welcome to the Event

Welcome to the second incarnation of "The Great Baalite Bake Off" the Blood Angels sub-forum’s premier modelling event!

To make reading the rules a less intimidating affair, I’m organising them in distinct posts so frater can easily access them and refer to them throughout the event.

You can find the links to individual topics below: Edited by Jolemai

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Rules for the GBBO

sml_gallery_62972_14467_21119.jpg
Chaplain, sockwithaticket
Below are the rules which govern The Great Baalite Bakeoff 2019:

Duration
Just under two months from February 11th to April 1st, 2019. Participants can join at any time during the lifetime of the event.

Entry requirements
The entry requirements are thus:
  • As this is a Blood Angels event, participants must make a vow relevant to our Faction from Warhammer 40000. You may pledge as many times as you wish and a vow may be as large or as small as you wish, but each vow needs to be completed before the next one is made
  • You must declare participation a minimum of 24 hours prior to declaring a completion. However, I don't mind if you've had a little head start...
  • Participation is registered by making your vow . It is declared complete when you post a series of completion pictures and a parts list
Entry Template
A vow is made using the following template:

I [insert name here] rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash [insert units here] on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the [insert Chapter/Legion/Strikeforce/etc], whilst failure is not an option...

Completion Template
Here is an example of a completion:

Front:

gallery_62972_9848_127755.jpg

Left side:
gallery_62972_9848_178026.jpg

Rear:
gallery_62972_9848_133390.jpg

Right side:
gallery_62972_9848_372389.jpg

Angle:
gallery_62972_9848_205210.jpg

Parts used:
  • Legion Scimitar Pattern Jetbike
  • Heavy flamer from the second edition Predator Annihilator kit
  • Space Marine Bike legs and left arm
  • Blood Angels Death Company shoulder pad
  • Second edition Character arm should pad
  • Staff and torso from the Grey Knights box
  • Tactical box right arm
  • Head from the Grey Knights Terminator box

• The finished model is not to be painted; the finished conversion should be bare plastic/resin/metal, however, the small odd-painted piece stolen from a previously painted model is OK
Vows
Vows are any unit that can legally be chosen to represent a Blood Angels force in the 40k universe at the time of writing:
  • Any unit with the CHARACTER keyword from Codex: Blood Angels (this includes legal wargear options from Index Imperium 1 as normal)
  • The following units from Index: Imperium 1
    • Captain on Bike
    • Chaplain on Bike
    • Imperial Space Marine
    • Land Raider Excelsior
    • Librarian on Bike
    • Sanguinary Priest on Bike
    • Techmarine on Bike
  • The following units from Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes:
    • Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought
    • Malakim Phoros
Restrictions
  • Bits from plastic kits (such as the Sanguinary Guard box) are unrestricted
  • Upgrade sprues regardless of material and company are unrestricted
  • Adding green stuff (etc) details is not only unrestricted but encouraged, as are full sculpts/scratchbuilt parts
  • Bikes, backpacks, gubbins and Dreadnought (in the case of the Librarian/Chaplain Dreadnought) bits are unrestricted
  • From existing models in metal/Finecast/3rd party resin/plastic Independent/Special Characters (clampacks), you may only use 25 % of that model. 25 % consists of the following combinations:
    • Head- 0% can be from any existing model
    • 1 x arm = 12.5 %, 2 x arms = 25 % either from the same or separate models
    • 1 x leg = 12.5 %, 2 x legs = 25 % either from the same or separate models
    • Torso = 25 %

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Awards

sml_gallery_62972_14467_86446.jpg
Captain, Lirksus
Upon making a vow you are entitled to carry the participation badge for the event. This you may keep even if you fail your vow. Upon satisfactory completion of your kitbash, you are entitled to carry the completion badge as well and your entry will henceforth be under consideration for the finals.

Behold and feast your eyes on the:

GBBO participation

gallery_62972_14467_5253.jpg

And the:

GBBO completion

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg

The completion award is won, and may be carried, when completing a vow but lost if any vow's are incomplete by the end of the event. Once the doors are closed, the external judges will chose the legal entries that they consider the best, and these will be form a poll in the General PCA sub-forum for Frater to vote who is the overall winner. (There will also be special badges for the overall winner and runners up.)

Who will shine the most in this display of loyalty to our Primarch and Legion?

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg FAQs

sml_gallery_62972_14467_17390.jpg
Sanguinary Priest, Spagunk
The following FAQs will hopefully answer any question you may have. That said, feel free to PM me or reply below if you have something not covered here.

Q: Can I enter OOP Characters like Moriar?
A: The rules state that any entry has to be Codex-legal. If you wanted to model Moriar (or Cassor the Damned), he would need to be modelled as a Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought or a Librarian Dreadnought. Veteran Sergeant Cleutin is more flexible, he could be a Company Standard Bearer or even a Captain (if you model the Shroud of Sanguinius it would arguably need to be creative to avoid breaking the Codex-legal rule - otherwise this would be an out of competition entry). Sadly, there is currently no option for a Sanguinary Priest in TDA so this would be an out of competition entry. Rafaen could be a suitable candidate from the Visions of Sanguinius stratagem with a powerfist, Karlaen would need to be a kitbashed TDA Captain with a relic hammer.

Q: Can I enter models which don't have the CHARACTER keyword?
A: For an in-competition entry, the models need this keyword. That said, what you do with your models afterwards to your choice – so if you enter a “Captain” earmarked for something else later (for example, a Devastator Sergeant) then just make sure it's a legal choice wargear-wise (see below). Otherwise, it will be an out of competition entry

Q: As it's a kitbash event, can I enter a squad of marines armed with, say, frag cannons?
A: The last thing we want to do is stifle creativity, so if you wanted to do this in lieu of a normal entry then it would be an out of competition entry – although entering a CHARACTER is preferred. If you really want to go down this route, just make sure each model shows of it's allegiance to Faction Blood Angels

Q: Can I enter a BA Killteam?
A: Whilst a BA killteam seems like an ideal entry for this event, anything without the CHARACTER keyword is to be considered an out of competition entry. Basically, as this is our ETL prequel event, we need codex-legal stuff ready for the ETL (and Killteams are excluded from the ETL)

Q: Why is my model considered an out of competition entry?
A: Basically, anything which doesn't comply with the rules of the event will be considered an out of competition entry. For example, your model might not be Codex-legal, or it may have fallen foul of the parts restrictions. If you still can't work out why, then please send me a PM.

Q: Can I make something for my Successor Chapter?
A: Provided your Successor Chapter is Faction Blood Angels, then yes – just make sure the model shows off something to show their allegiance. For homebrew Chapters, this will require you to put something on the model to show it meshes with that. A full list of known Successors can be found here.

Q: What do you mean by something which shows of the model's allegiance to Faction Blood Angels?
A: Pretty much anything iconic for us. This could be as simply as some brass etch, a moulded shoulder pad, “nipple” armour, and so on. It could be some basic green stuff like a blood drop, or it could even be an already painted piece displaying your freehand/transfer heraldry (in the case of a Successor for example). Be creative!

Q: Can I enter something for the IXth Legion like in your other events?
A: Yes you can, but they would need to be Codex-legal for the 40k Blood Angels. As an example, a Moritat could pass as a gunslinging Captain but would also require an iron halo (or counts-as)

Q: What must I include on my model?
A: All entries are required to be Codex-legal, have something to show their allegiance Faction Blood Angels and must accurately represent the model's Datasheet entry. Here's the full list of requirements:
  • Captains require an iron halo (or counts-as)
  • Chaplains require a crozius arcanum and rosarius (or counts-as)
  • Librarian Dreadnoughts require a furioso force halberd and psychic hood (or counts-as)
  • Librarians require a force weapon and psychic hood (or counts-as)
  • Named Characters must accurately represent their Datasheet as possible (so no giving Dante a power lance)
  • Sanguinary Priests/Novitiate require a chalice and narthecium (or counts-as)
  • Techmarines require a servo arm/servo harness/jump pack (or counts-as)
  • Ancients require a banner
  • Champions require a power sword and combat shield
Q: How do I post pics in a thread?
A: Well, there are many ways to do that: If you have already uploaded it in an image-hosting site, you can copy the image address and then paste it straight to your post using the “image” tool at the menu of your post editor.

However, we always recommend you use the B&C gallery. If you’re not familiar with this feature, you can find a quick walkthrough below. Feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

Uploading pictures from your PC/mobile to the B&C Gallery
Step 1: Go to Gallery. The link to the Gallery can be found in the drop down menu adjacent to your name on the B&C home page. If you're using a mobile device, switch to the full version of the website using the tab at the bottom left of your screen.
Step 2: Once in the Gallery click on the red “upload” button that can be found on the top side
Step 3: You get the option the either create a new album or select an existing album or select category. Assuming you’re a first time user of this feature click on “Create a New Album”
Step 4: Name your Album (e.g. GBBO 19) and if you want you may add a description (e.g. miniatures painted for the 2019 GBBO event). You may then assign it to a specific category to reflect the theme of the content or just leave it at the default “The Bolter & Chainsword”. You can further customise this by allowing/disallowing comments and/or ratings.
Step 5: Once you’ve created the album you may start uploading the pictures from your PC. To do that you click on “Choose File” button and then select the pics you want to upload from your PC. Make double sure that the pics a B&C appropriate.
Step 6: Once the pics are uploaded, click on the “Review & Publish” button located at the bottom right of the screen. Here, for each picture, you can add tags, rotate the image add a tittle and a description. Once you’re happy with it, click the “Finish and Publish” button at the bottom of the screen. The pictures are uploaded to your gallery!

Posting picture from your gallery to a thread
Step 1: Go to your gallery and select the album that contains the pics you want to post (e.g. RTS 18)
Step 2: Select the picture you want and double-click on it so it will become enlarged. By right-clicking on it you will be offered the option to select size. The options are “Thumbnail”, “Small”, “Medium”, “Large”. Select the size you want (e.g. “Medium”).
Step 3: You then can copy the image straight (or copy the image address) and paste it in your post (or use the the image function in your post editor to paste the image address). Now you should have your picture visible in your post.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Acknowledgments

Many thanks to Grotsmasha for inventing the Conversion Challenges events and for his blessing that I may run a BA version of it
Thanks to the Moderation Team for their blessing regarding the event and for their assistance, with special thanks going to those of The Forge for their work as the external judges
Thanks to Charlo for his work on the banner and signature awards. Also, thanks to Bukimimaru for coining the name many years ago!
...and finally thanks to the B&C and the B&C Frater for being here and thereby having an interest in such things. Hope you all enjoy the event!

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Tags

/equip modhat

The correct use of tags can be found here. Basically, this is a method of making things easier to search to people can gain fast, easy access to your work and that of others. The official GBBO tags are:
  • The Great Baalite Bake Off
  • GBBO
  • GBBO 19
... in addition to all the usual things like Blood Angels modeling event, Blood Angels WIP, and so on. If we can remember to add these to our work then that would be great.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Vows

sml_gallery_62972_14467_32432.jpg
Gabriel Seth, Sun Reaver
List of vows
Note that these will be colour coded. Red will indicate a legal completion, green will indicate an out of competition entry. “Normal” colour will indicate an incomplete vow.

.Torch.

* Captain - complete!

Ashenwyte

* Captain - complete!

Captain Caine

* Captain - complete!

Djangomatic82

* Captain - complete!

* Company Champion - complete!

* TDA Librarian - complete!

* Lieutenant - complete!

Dont-Be-Haten

* TDA Anceint - complete!

* Company Ancient - complete!

* Company Champion - complete!

* Sanguinary Priest - complete!

* Captain Tycho - complete!

Dread05

* OOC entry - complete!

Indefragable

* OOC entry

Jolemai
* Captain - complete!

* Lieutenant - complete!

Majkhel

* Captain - complete!

redshadow

* Captain - complete!

* Primaris Ancient - complete!

shanewatts

* OOC entry - complete!

Spyros
* Lieutenant - complete!

* Lieutenant - complete!

The Black Guard

* Gabriel Seth

Zebulon

* Captain - complete!

* Dante - complete!

* Lemartes - complete!

* Captain - complete!

Edited by Jolemai

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Gallery

sml_gallery_62972_14467_36494.jpg
Captain, Brother Dallo
Below is the gallery that shows off the completions for the event. The in-competition entries are listed under completions and it is from here the finalists will be plucked. The out-of-competition entries are listed under OOC Entries and these show off the fun, individuality, and artistic nature of our contestants.

Completions

Hidden Content

OOC Entries

Hidden Content

Edited by Jolemai

I Jolemai, Reclusiarch of the Blood Angels sub-forum and first of his name, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash one "Smash" Captain on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

Would the following combo be legal?

Torso from BA Tactical squad

1 arm from resin Damocles Command Rhino operator

1 arm from 2nd ed arm sprue

2 legs (one piece) from 3rd ed tactical squad

Head from captain sprue, backpack from DC, combi-weapon from BA Tactical and 2nd ed chainsword, decorations and harnesses from all over.

Head from captain sprue, backpack from DC, combi-weapon from BA Tactical and 2nd ed chainsword, decorations and harnesses from all over.

Absolutely fine, all those parts are unrestricted in their use. What are you thinking of serving up? :)

Absolutely fine, all those parts are unrestricted in their use. What are you thinking of serving up? :smile.:

The body is my issue. If instead of the 2nd ed arm I used a 3rd ed tac arm, then it wouldn't be legal, right?

It's a lieutenant on foot.

Hmmm, slow start here.

I, Zebulon rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash a Commander Dante, another Captain Smash (because he’s always a good looking model to bring to the fight) and a Chaplain Lemartes on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

Edit:

PS: please confirm that priming is okay? As many of my bits already have some primer on...

Edited by Zebulon

Hmmm, slow start here.

I, Zebulon rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash a Commander Dante, another Captain Smash (because he’s always a good looking model to bring to the fight) and a Chaplain Lemartes on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

Edit:

PS: please confirm that priming is okay? As many of my bits already have some primer on...

As per the rules, the odd painted piece is OK (such as one scavenged off another model) but a fully undercoated or painted model is not and thus would be an out of competition entry.

Ideally, submissions will be bare plastic so the judges can better see the parts used :)

Looks like I'm going to bear down and finish the TDA ancient. He's probably an OOC build since his legs and front torso are a TDA from Dark vengeance. His back and arms will be from the fancy BA TDA kit though.

I'm not familiar with the model. Have you a picture? Are you basically taking an existing model and adding bits to it?

I, Spyros, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash one Lieutenant "Warden of the Blood" (on foot) on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the Blood angels, whilst failure is not an option...

First Lieutenant entry, welcome aboard :)

Updated to here

Edited by Jolemai

Looks like I'm going to bear down and finish the TDA ancient. He's probably an OOC build since his legs and front torso are a TDA from Dark vengeance. His back and arms will be from the fancy BA TDA kit though.

I'm not familiar with the model. Have you a picture? Are you basically taking an existing model and adding bits to it?
I've taken the chain fist terminator from the dark vengeance set and chopped his back off and removed all Dark Angel iconography. I'm going to replaced it with a normal space marine TDA back, and the arms will be a banner from the BA kit as well as whichever weapon option I decide on.

gallery_92746_14190_128849.jpg
Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

I MAJKHEL, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash one out-of-competition Captain on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option.

OOC, because I really wanted to use Tolmeron's body and pose to make a Primaris size Captain with TH.

I, Djangomatic82, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash a Smash Captain on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

Edit: Quick question, can we add a bit of color to basing and environment bits to better convey what they are meant to be? ex: a bit of grey to smoke, orange to fire, instead of it just being undifferentiated bits and stuff?

Edited by Djangomatic82

As per the rules, the odd painted piece is OK (such as one scavenged off another model) but a fully undercoated or painted model is not and thus would be an out of competition entry.

Ideally, submissions will be bare plastic so the judges can better see the parts used :)

Harrumph. I think it’s best I post a parts photo prior to starting each of my vowed models then so you can judge whether they will comply or be OOC. You see, generally I prime on-sprue and so most of my spare bits are primed black or white.

Anyway, I’ll let you be the judge but for me primer isn’t part of the paint-job.

Vow completed:
Front:
gallery_105306_14251_3266.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_121926.jpg

Rear-right:

gallery_105306_14251_76608.jpg

Left:

gallery_105306_14251_79529.jpg

Angle shots:

med_gallery_105306_14251_21852.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_104046.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_51525.jpg

Parts used:

Head: Sanguinary Guard
Body: Lieutenant Tolmeron
Arms: Lieutenant Tolmeron (right hand - Vanguard Veterans kit)
Legs: Lieutenant Tolmeron
Jump Pack: Antor Delassio (DW)
Thunder Hammer: Vanguard Veterans kit, Grey Knight Interceptor squad)
Storm Shield: Sanguinary Guard kit, Baal Predator kit
Arm-pit protection plates: BA Terminators kit
Grenades, purity seal, base - various kits
Edited by Majkhel

Vow Completed

Front
gallery_101213_15257_557935.jpg

Left side

gallery_101213_15257_278026.jpg
Rear
gallery_101213_15257_785648.jpg
Right side
gallery_101213_15257_749162.jpg

Angle

gallery_101213_15257_214261.jpggallery_101213_15257_474114.jpggallery_101213_15257_123311.jpggallery_101213_15257_1385051.jpg
Parts Used
Head, Storm Shield- Blood Angels Terminator Assault Squad
Hair, Thunder Hammer power cable, Purity seal rolls, cherub scroll- Green stuff
Torso- Blood Angels Tactical Squad
Legs, Jump Pack- Sanguinary Guard
Thunder Hammer, Left & Right Arm- Blood Angels Assault Squad
Thunder Hammer extended haft- Brass rod & greenstuff
Iron Halo, Wings- Fine cast Sanguinor blister pack
Cyber Cherub- Librarian blister pack
Ork & Genestealer skull- Scout squad
Plaguebearer skull- Citadel Skull box
Base- Pummice & rocks
Edit: added a new picture to the rear view as i felt the previous one did not show anything significant due to the cotton jet pack plume and white background blocking the view. Also added more shots to the Angle section to do the same, if it is too much, please tell me and i will remove them.

Edited by Djangomatic82

Dont-Be-Haten, Sanguinary Noviate of the Blood Angels sub-forum and first of his name, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash Thereon, Keeper of the Mantle (Terminator Ancient with Lightning claw) on or before April 1st, 2019. Success will bring honour to the Carmine Blades, whilst failure is not an option...

I'm going to make him a competition entry, seeing as how all of the Blood Angel Terminators are Legs and back torso combined. The only difference is this model was a former Dark Vengeance model I'm customizing. I've removed all iconography and added some BA Goodness to it. However; if Jole rules he's OOC that's fine.