Is mono-Tzeentch possible?

Ulfast

Im thinking to start something new and diffrent and was thinking about chaos daemons and making it mono-Tzeentch. But could thst eork? Im not a tournament player and is not thinking to be one eather. But I still want to win games. At the same time, would it be fun for me and my opponent to meet aand play with a full Tzeentch army? What do you think and do you have any advice?

Myself are thinking it could be intersting, a challange, fun to paint and that it could win even if it could be hard

Well yes it's definitely mechanically possible. The question is what do you want to achieve? You won't win big tournaments with it and you won't stomp people but against casual and semi-competetive you could have some great games I guess.

Whether it's fun for your opponent will depend on your opponent. It at least won't feel unfair to him and he'll be able to easily remove lots of models since daemons of any kind are a rather squishy horde army after all.

I would think that mono-Tzeench would be the best of the mono-god daemon lists - its the only list that has any real shooting - always a good thing in shooting dominated 8th edition - and its got the broadest scope of roles for daemons - other gods tend to do one thing pretty well and that's it, while Tzeench is more generalist.

This is all theory hammer, though - I haven't played much daemons, and the ones I have used have all been Slaanneshi.

Mono-Tzeentch will have the following Perks:

- Hard to dislodge Standard Choices, with 4++ and this weird "your roll doesnt count" in melee and even better, a loss will just increase youre numbers on the objective.

- Lots to do in the psychic phase. You will go hard into psychic characters arent you?

- Lots of Dakka compared to other daemons and even some other armies, with Horrors, Flamers, Sould grinders and Exalted Flamers. You can even increase the Dakka with Warlord Traits and spells.

- Summoning. Try it, its great.

- Speed. Flamers, Screamers and Chariots are fast. 

You will not have:

- Good melee. Really, except a Greater Daemon or Prince, melee wont be your go to

- Spelllist... debatable but imho the Tzeentch spells are mostly average at best.

You could mix in some Daemon/Tzeentch Heretic Astartes for fun. Tzeentch Obliterators are quiet good, Possessed could help your fight phase.

You could mix in some Daemon/Tzeentch Heretic Astartes for fun. Tzeentch Obliterators are quiet good, Possessed could help your fight phase.

If you do this, its best to put them in different detachments - otherwise you lose your Locus and <LEGION> benefits.

I’m working on a Scourged detachment to go with a load of Tzeentch daemons. It will be mostly some possessed and a small squad of chosen in a land raider Achilles. Theoretically it should at least be fun!

It´s usual to se both mono list of Nurgle and Khorne and I´m thinking that soon as the new Slannesh we will see them too. But it seems to me that Tzeentch has a lot of potential and could be played as mono too. And of course some times you can have some allies as Thousands sons. It would be intersting to see more mono-Tzeentch armies as I tihnk they are a undiscovered army. Not the strongest but I think it can surprise some opponents

My collection of Tzeentch miniatures right now is a bit low but I´m starting to build up and trying it later on. Any fun suggestions or advice?  

I'd stay away from chariots and screamers for example

I've played against Chariots and they have uses is clearing out under-defended objectives, they just aren't as efficient as Exalted Flamers or as fast as Screamers.

Screamers are good at being fast and hit okay in melee. Again they can take objectives and anything with a 4++ is good. Auto-cannons and avenger gatlings will eat them alive and they aren't cheap but your other option for speed is spending CP on deepstriking and you don't always want to do that.

I would think that mono-Tzeench would be the best of the mono-god daemon lists - its the only list that has any real shooting - always a good thing in shooting dominated 8th edition - and its got the broadest scope of roles for daemons - other gods tend to do one thing pretty well and that's it, while Tzeench is more generalist.

Mono-tzeentch is maybe second best while Mono-nurgle is the only high tier mono-god list. You don't need shooting to win games when you have tons of movement buffs, T4 -1 to hit 5++ 5+++.

I think that mono--nurgle is strongest of the four chaos gods armies. Second would be Khorne and third place is Tzeentch and last is Slannesh. But I think this is changing as we will see more from Slannesh and they will get a update and get more units to use. That leave Tzeentch in the way back (propably)and one of the reason we see him so low is that we actually don´t see him so much. I have hardly ever notice  adaemon army that is mono with Tzeentch. On youtube you always seen similiars armiés but with strong hint of thousands sons in them.

So how good is a mono-Tzeentch army? I don´t think hardly anyone could answer that.  That what I want to find out :)

Still wishing GW would give pure Tzeentch armies the brotherhood of psykers or AT LEAST allow horrors to be immune from the smite penalty or adding to it. Nothing worse than trying to use smite from horrors on a 5+, the next unit a 6+, and any herald or LOC attempting to smite starting at a +2 penalty. Might as well get rid of the rule on horrors. 

Not a huge fan of screamers, but chariots can still put in some work. A unit that can fire, with multipurpose gun and with fly and decent melee potential? Sure why not?

I totally agree that it´s intersting that an army made out of magic (more or less) still is not very good at magic. Basic troops is worse then mortal marines in magic, the spell list is not so great (but have a couple of good spells in it) and we have no heavy hitters that scaries people. That could be better. 

Archived