Best Choice for One Assassin

I’ve been using one assassin and come to the conclusion the Vindicare is the best overall choice. The Vindicare can be amazing or not do much... I had a game today where I basically rolled three 1s in a row. Next turn my opponent who also had a Vindicare roll two 1s in a row. This is highly unlikely to happen often but it’s frustrating to say the least when it does.

I’m thinking the Eversor is the second best choice in general but depends more on what your up against. The good thing as we know is you take any one you want now. I don’t think two are worth it. I rate the Culexus as third best in general but could be really good versus armies like kSons.

With side-boarding now an option for Imperium warlords, it's not really a question of "best" as they all add something.

Callidus: reign of confusion is amazing, especially against front loaded armies like Orks, Knights; D6+3 deep strike is amazing; no invulnerable saves and flat 2 damage is also great at killing characters; for 1CP being able to move, advance and charge and be -1 to hit by enemies is baller. She can also fall back and charge.

Culexus: very hand smite soak; great at living on an objective for cheap, easy points, the 2CP stratagem to make any units within 3" fight last is brilliant, especially when things like Armour of Russ and the Vexator Mask exist.

Eversor: lots of fun when you roll well; able to clear a horde as a suicide unit is actually very satisfying and efficient.

Vindicare: blind grenades are great for stacking -1 to hit modifiers onto units; character sniping adds a psychological element that is not to be underestimated; turbo penetrator shooting mortal wounds is amazing, it's basically a 72" ranged targeted smite for 1CP.

Edited by masterstrider

Would agree with masters above, not sure why you are worried about a best because its situational, and assassins can be chosen after you know what you are against for 1 cp... which is completely worth while.  Also think people overlook callidus a lot, they are fantastic vs CP hungry armies, and pick off characters more often than you would expect even if they aren't quite as good as the vindi at it.  Eversor is a generally good choice unless vs MSU styled army, culexus is good vs psyker characters or just useful to bog down units, and the Vindi is fantastic vs guard, orks, or Plaguebearer lists hiding their sorcerers, or any other army that is dependent on chars that will be standing in the open.

Callidus + 2 CP = you dont want to use any strats for 2 turns do you?  :teehee:

Even if she does nothing else all game that 3 CP (1 to get her in the 1st place) means that you are upsetting peoples game plan..

I've always thought that the Vindicare and Callidus are the most applicable in most situations as most factions use CP and have characters. The Callidus's Rein of Confusion is amazing, especially in larger games where both sides have more CP. They might both be generally rubbish against a Guard tank army but then so are the others.

The Eversor and Culexus are useful but they are quite niche. You have to be against hordes or psykers for them to be worth it.