ETL VII is coming...

Thinking about it, bases don't count towards etl right? So if I paint my models separately from their bases (which I do) I can paint the bases before the etl starts right?

ermm... :unsure.:

Bases are not required because we do not want to exclude people who don't do bases. But if you do do bases it is expected that you do them as part of your vow. Otherwise it looks like you're getting a head start, which is kind of unfair to others that actually spend ETL time to do their bases. :wink:

Ask Forté. He has helped me countless times :smile.:

What did I do now?

Well I cant remember much but I woke up in a bath tub full of tin tomatoes hugging an old Japanese man dressed as Cyndi Lauper. 

Ask Forté. He has helped me countless times :smile.:

What did I do now?

Well I cant remember much but I woke up in a bath tub full of tin tomatoes hugging an old Japanese man dressed as Cyndi Lauper. 

That is a horrifying image... :biggrin.:

With quite a heavy shift towards Fallen over the last weeks I have also made changes to my overall plans in general - and my first vow in particular. My overarching goal will be to get a Battalion detachment of Death Guard and a Vanguard detachment of Fallen done over the course of this ETL. This will give me two game-legal forces to play with, and plenty of options to expand into. 

My first vow will be:

• Lord of Contagion with Manreaper (the Lord Felthius model)
  • three bases of Nurglings
  • CSM Sorceror with plasma pistol and forcesword
  • five Fallen (champion with plasma pistol and powerfist, one model with meltagun, three models with two lightning claws)
  • one Primaris Intercessor as an OOC contribution in support of this

403 points by my count, covers some essential elements of my main goal, and can already be fielded as a Patrol detachment.

The Fallen need sand on their bases, only Lord Felthius and the Nurglings are primed so far - but other than that everything is built already. I am confident to get this done in three months (which is all that counts for now), and subsequent vows will be decided once this one is near completion. Bring it on!

Edit 1: Fallen got sand on their bases.

Edit 2: Nurglings are primed now.

Edited by Darnok

I am sorry chaos brothers! But 1 page and a lot of silence vs 8 very noisy pages make me think that tyranids need me more than you!

So, this year will be bugs again for me, I leave you in Augustus and the others more than capable hands!

Next year maybe things will get LOUD!

So, with the soon to be released Contrast paints, I'm thinking I might use this as an opportunity to try them out. I'm curious to see how Black Legion

will look with the contrast paints.

That is, if I can even get any when they come out... my FLGS is only getting a VERY small quantity at first...

I've been considering the contrast paints too but all my stuff is primed already (think they need a special primer to use??). Plus I've just bought a new airbrush so want to test that out too.

Thinking my first vow will be

Master of execution, converted from the Blackstone lord. 8 Khorne Beserkers, converted from the bloodbound kit and the new CSM. 7 x Plague Marine with a rhino to put them in. Should come to around 494 points.

I have both a death guard army and a red corsairs army. Do people think it is best to focus each vow on one faction or is mixing them up to keep things interesting best?

I have both a death guard army and a red corsairs army. Do people think it is best to focus each vow on one faction or is mixing them up to keep things interesting best?

I think that depends entirely on how you approach painting. Do you get bored repeating a colour scheme over and over? Then vow elements of both together so you can switch it up. Does the lack of mental effort in only having to worry about a single scheme appeal? In that case do a Death Guard vow and a Red Corsairs vow. Do the logistics of how your models are stored while you aren't painting/playing influence your mindset?

Personally, I'm going to be going in for Black Legion for the opening vow. That's over 30 Marines, 3 Oblits, 2 Rhinos, 5 Havocs and a couple of characters. I'll probably split the Marine squads up and do the characters and Oblits in between for a bit of a break. I say probably, I might just hit the groove and knock out all 30-odd in consecutive batches. It's been known to happen.

Subsequent vows will depend on how much time we have left, my employment status, and what else I actually manage to get built. Oh, I've also got a vintage Scylla Anfingrimm I intend to get some paint on if I get the chance.

Dragonlover

I've been considering the contrast paints too but all my stuff is primed already (think they need a special primer to use??). Plus I've just bought a new airbrush so want to test that out too.

Thinking my first vow will be

Master of execution, converted from the Blackstone lord. 8 Khorne Beserkers, converted from the bloodbound kit and the new CSM. 7 x Plague Marine with a rhino to put them in. Should come to around 494 points.

I havent primed yet, so there is that going for me. I plan to use my airbrush to prime, and I just got some of the Stynylrez primers to try. I'll probably go with either a white or grey primer as black by itself is too hard for my eyes to make out a lot of initial detail.

Other than priming the Fallen models (for which I got the Chaos Black spray today) my first vow is ready to go.

I also did a first draft for the "March of the Fallen" thread, to be set up once the CSM Outpost is on:

March of the Fallen

m6gX6R5.jpg

ETL VII is upon us! The „March of the Fallen“ (MotF) is meant to support any participant building and painting characters units or whole armies themed around the Fallen. It is meant to work in the context of ETL VII and support the wider CSM forum effort for this year.

If you are interested in being a part of MotF, please post your vows in this thread as well as in the CSM Outpost. I will keep track of all players doing so, including their points pledged and completed. To receive one of the titles listed below, you only have to include one or more Fallen models in your vow (and then complete it of course).

Titles are:

• Fallen Brother for including Fallen themed unit(s) in one vow.
  • Fallen Raptor for including Fallen themed unit(s) in two vows.
  • Fallen Havoc for including Fallen themed unit(s) in three vows.
  • Fallen Terminator for including Fallen themed unit(s) in four vows.
  • Fallen Lord for including Fallen themed unit(s) in five vows.
  • Disciple of Cypher for the three players with the highest number of actual Fallen over all their vows.

[There will be a banner and a badge for each title, properly sized for signatures - Forté is working on it, but can not finish it before next week.]

In detail this means:

• You can claim any of the first five titles by including models themed around Fallen in your vow(s). This means: the background of one or more character(s) or unit(s) in the respective vow(s) makes them a Fallen Angel, and that background is represented in the build and/or painting of the model(s). Any choice from Codex: CSM can be used here, as long as the „Fallen theme“ is visible in build and or paint. One example is given under the spoiler tag:

Let's assume somebody includes a Night Lord Aspiring Champion in one of his vows. This would not count for the MotF as long as the model is „only“ converted and painted as a Night Lord character. It could count though if the model were converted and painted to allude a background connection to the Fallen – for example by using parts from the Dark Angels range in building it, painting some Fallen iconography on parts of it, or both.
  • The last title – Disciple of Cypher – is given to the three players with the highest number of game-legal „actual Fallen“ units over all their vows. In contrast to the other titles, this one takes into account all vows of somebody, but only counts units from the following CSM datasheets: Cypher, Fallen, Sorcerer, Rhino. The models have to be modelled and painted to represent Fallen, you can not claim points for just any Sorcerer or Rhino for example.

Some cases will be not 100% clear – such is the nature of Chaos! If in doubt: please just ask in advance. More likely than not your idea will be perfectly fine.

My thanks go to Captain Semper for organising ETL in general and giving me feedback on this idea early on, as well as Forté for doing the image wizardry that gave us the banner and title badges!

Thoughts, opinions, questions?

Edited by Darnok

I think that depends entirely on how you approach painting. Do you get bored repeating a colour scheme over and over? Then vow elements of both together so you can switch it up. Does the lack of mental effort in only having to worry about a single scheme appeal? In that case do a Death Guard vow and a Red Corsairs vow. Do the logistics of how your models are stored while you aren't painting/playing influence your mindset?

Personally, I'm going to be going in for Black Legion for the opening vow. That's over 30 Marines, 3 Oblits, 2 Rhinos, 5 Havocs and a couple of characters. I'll probably split the Marine squads up and do the characters and Oblits in between for a bit of a break. I say probably, I might just hit the groove and knock out all 30-odd in consecutive batches. It's been known to happen.

Subsequent vows will depend on how much time we have left, my employment status, and what else I actually manage to get built. Oh, I've also got a vintage Scylla Anfingrimm I intend to get some paint on if I get the chance.

Dragonlover

I have a large 30k Dark Angel's army that I've painted quite a bit on. I found painting it can become a bit of a chore, especially as they're mainly black and have large sqd sizes. Practically though, it may be best to keep the vows similar (same set of paints needed etc.) and keep alternating factions like you've said.

I had to Google the Scylla Anfingrimm as I didn't know what it was. Looks interesting! I'm assuming its khornate?

I havent primed yet, so there is that going for me. I plan to use my airbrush to prime, and I just got some of the Stynylrez primers to try. I'll probably go with either a white or grey primer as black by itself is too hard for my eyes to make out a lot of initial detail.

I'm intrigued by the contrast paints. I'd like to see how you get on with them.

Darnok, so if I were to include a 30k DA unit (or 5) would I need to chaos them up at all or could I say they have only recently appeared? I'd need to have a look at what's left to paint that would be 40k game legal. I've done many of the troops already.

I think it's great by the way!!

Cheers.

Well, making your vow and start working on your vow are two different things.

You can make your first vow (and thus commit to the ETL) at any point during the first month of the event. So by July 1st you must have committed. Then you have until the end of the event to deliver. :)

Get well soon mate, back injuries require attention...

Gives me a month then, thanks mate!

Yeah - back injury is no fun :( kind of means you can’t do ANYTHING!! Apart from moan about to anybody who will listen :D

EDIT - I should say that when I vow it would have to be only a small one as I am a slow painter at the best of times!

Edited by Midnightmare

Darnok, so if I were to include a 30k DA unit (or 5) would I need to chaos them up at all or could I say they have only recently appeared? I'd need to have a look at what's left to paint that would be 40k game legal. I've done many of the troops already.

For Fallen it is well established in the background that some of them appear back in real space as if only day or weeks have passed since the destruction of Caliban. So I would consider a unit straight out of 30K perfectly acceptable. Anything between that and "true CSM" is fine in my opinion.

You can of course use some Chaos bitz if you want (check my first Fallen for example), but in case of HH DA you really don't have to. Do you have a Codex: CSM for unit options and point costs? If not I can help out with that.

Coolio. I have the new codex so should be good for unit options and points. I'll have a look at what I have left to paint at the weekend. I know I have at least 4 rhinos, but troops I'm not too sure on. I have plenty of other vehicles and dreadnoughts (plus a fire raptor and storm eagle) but they wont count

Hello all!

I'm getting back into 40k thanks to the new, beautiful chaos releases and the surge of hobby motivation that has given me. I will be swearing to Chaos for the ETL (my first!) and I wondered if any heretic Brothers had any feedback on my first planned vows.

First Vow: The Daemonforge Awakens

Maulerfiend

Venom crawler

2 Obliterators

5 chaos space marines; heavy bolter, champion with powersword and plasma pistol

Second Vow: Chains of the True Faith

Master of Possession

Dark Apostle and 2 Dark Disciples

Daemon Prince

Greater Possessed

10 Possessed

Rhino with havok launcher and combi-bolters

These are adding on to a mostly already painted base of a chaos lord, a terminator sorcerer, 2 X 5 chaos marines (1 with chaincannon, 1 with plasmagun) and 2 X 10 cultists (one lot with auto guns and stunners, one with brutal assault weapons and a flamer). I have five cultists still to do and will do them before starting my vow if any are outstanding

Other vowable stuff is more chaos marines, some havocs and some terminators

Edited by Kleomenes