IA: The Omega Hounds

KBA

Updated the organization section:

While the chapter recruits from population whose male genome is completely free of the psychic mutation, the Omega Hounds, oddly, have still managed to maintain a fully functioning Librarius. Imperial Scholars note that as reward from the Ecclesiarchy for their continuing sizeable commitment to the 2nd Gatton Crusade, the Chapter received an indefinite tithe right to a marginal portion of the psychic criminals the Order of The Risen Wives, Adepta Sororitas, would capture. The Risen Wives offered the witches as ceremonial sacrifices to strengthen the faith of the Hounds during Chapter Prayer.

However, the Chapter’s Forge Masters found another purpose for them. These traitors to the Emperor were clearly neither sufficiently conditioned, nor adolescent enough to survive ascension to Astartes. Somehow, the Forge Masters were seemingly able to create a syphoning link from the warp-filled minds of the criminal to the Astartes’ Psychic Hood. In theory, this would give the marine a limited, yet potent, amount of psychic energy— so long as the host, for all intended purposes now a power pack, remain linked. How the Omega Hounds’ Techmarines were able to achieve such technology remains unknown, though historians often link the Throne Mechanicum, maintained by the arcane knowledge of the Sacristans, as a common parallel. Nevertheless, the potential psychic link between host and parasitic faux-librarian is not without grim risks for both.

++++++

While the chapter recruits from population whose male genome is completely free of the psychic mutation, the Omega Hounds, oddly, have still managed to maintain a fully functioning Librarius. Imperial Scholars note that as reward from the Ecclesiarchy for their continuing sizeable commitment to the 2nd Gatton Crusade, the Chapter received an indefinite tithe right to a marginal portion of the psychic criminals the Order of The Risen Wives, Adepta Sororitas, would capture. The Risen Wives offered the witches as ceremonial sacrifices to strengthen the faith of the Hounds during Chapter Prayer.

However, the Chapter’s Forge Masters found another purpose for them. These traitors to the Emperor were clearly neither sufficiently conditioned, nor adolescent enough to survive ascension to Astartes. Somehow, the Forge Masters were seemingly able to create a syphoning link from the warp-filled minds of the criminal to the Astartes’ Psychic Hood. In theory, this would give the marine a limited, yet potent, amount of psychic energy— so long as the host, for all intended purposes now a power pack, remain linked. How the Omega Hounds’ Techmarines were able to achieve such technology remains unknown, though historians often link the Throne Mechanicum, maintained by the arcane knowledge of the Sacristans, as a common parallel. Nevertheless, the potential psychic link between host and parasitic faux-librarian is not without grim risks for both.

This seems FAR too risky. Were I an agent of Chaos, I'd deliberately setup a cult of "psychic criminals" to be captured, so the Sisters may deliver a Daemonhost through which the Chaos gods may corrupt the Chapter's Librarius.

This seems FAR too risky. Were I an agent of Chaos, I'd deliberately setup a cult of "psychic criminals" to be captured, so the Sisters may deliver a Daemonhost through which the Chaos gods may corrupt the Chapter's Librarius.
Depends how you look at it. For everyone not omniscient, and this includes the Sisters that provide the captured witches, the psykers are believed to be burned to ash, end of story. The risks are there, and I like that they have super dangerous implications as the article states. And no doubt, if they were investigated by another party of the Inquisition other than the one currently extorting them for their homeworld’s psychic population under the penalty of Excommunication, they would be branded as heretics.

++++++

Edit:

A little rework. Not labeling them criminals, just as psykers, which The Risen Wives do not tolerate.

While the chapter recruits from population whose male genome is completely free of the psychic mutation, the Omega Hounds, oddly, have still managed to maintain a fully functioning Librarius. Imperial Scholars note that, as reward from the Ecclesiarchy for their continuing sizeable commitment to the 2nd Gatton Crusade, the Chapter received an indefinite tithe right to a marginal portion of the psykers the Order of The Risen Wives, Adepta Sororitas, would capture from conquered populaces. The Risen Wives offered the witches as ceremonial sacrifices, intended to strengthen the faith of the Hounds during Chapter Prayer.

However, the Chapter’s Forge Masters found another purpose for them. These captured psykers were clearly neither sufficiently conditioned, nor adolescent enough to survive ascension to Astartes. Though somehow, the techmarines were seemingly able to create a stable syphoning link from the warp-filled minds of the criminal to the Astartes’ Psychic Hood. In theory, this would give the marine a limited, yet potent, amount of psychic energy— so long as the host, for all intended purposes now a mindless power pack, remain linked. How the Omega Hounds’ Techmarines were able to achieve such technology remains unknown, though historians often link the Throne Mechanicum, maintained by the arcane knowledge of the Sacristans, as a common parallel. Nevertheless, the potential psychic link between host and parasitic faux-librarian is not without grim risks for both.

Edited by KBA

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated the article. I split the Origins section up with the narrative-heavy aspects grouped into what I’m calling Early History. I know official IA articles use Later History, but as a relatively brand new Chapter of the Ultima Founding, that felt misleading. Following the Octaguide’s advice, I also added quotes under each section’s header for a little more flavour. Battlecry has also been added.

Still working on the armoury addendum :)

A promise is a promise!

It's been great to properly revisit the Hounds after so long. I'll stick with the reply format you used on my IA, I think that works quite well for such a long article.

...a seemingly insignificant feudal-class world cradled in the vast darkness of the Exilis Ostium.

It'd be best if you mention the Exilis being a Sub-Sector right here at the Start, just to prevent any confusion.

Once word from the 27th Battlegroup had reached, him he immediately ordered...

There's a minor slip-up with the comma here.

As their strike cruisers barrelled through the broken debris of the destroyed War Flotilla in orbit above Adlan IX, the Primaris Astartes Awoken were catalogued by the Priests of Mars having several instances of uncontrollable bouts of violence requiring sedation while first being armoured by Adepts.

I really like this. Even with stuff like the Black Rage and the Wulfen Curse going strong, the Primaris Marines' appearance in the setting was a bit too perfect. This short bit implies that there are some kinks that slipped Cawl's notice - something that, imo, fits perfectly into the lore.

Another line I dig is the Quote for the 'Beliefs'-Section. I wonder how the Hounds are perceived by characters versed in Imperial history when they draw parallels between Horus and Guilliman? Maybe that's worth exploring in a piece of micro-fiction?

If the Chapter were to fight as one, who would be in charge? I know the Hounds don't have a Chapter Master, but even the Iron Hands elect a War-Leader in times of great need. That might be worth addressing. An easy fix would be having the High Chaplain take a similar position - you have that sick new miniature of him, after all. :wink:

I believe Bjorn had a point when he suggested a new title for the hybrid Captain-Chaplains - it does sound kinda clunky. Last year, you said you make use of the title 'Hell Hound', but I can't find it anywhere in the article. Did you scrap that idea? My own suggestion would be either 'Deacon', the officers being chaplains of a not entirely spiritual bent or 'Cerberan' in case you wanna keep with the old theme.

All of these are more minor niggles rather than full-blown criticism, but then again, you've been working on these lads for almost four years - it shows. The reformatted 'History'-section is a good touch and I'm excited to see what you've planned for the armoury.

Hope this is of some help!