+++Chaos Daemons Outpost+++

Okay, I've finished painting the chariot and it is downstairs having been based and waiting for the initial glue to dry. Once it does, I will apply another coat of glue ontop to seal it, then spray the model itself with purity seal and it will be done.

Here are some pictures of the various segments awaiting assembly.  The first has one rider glued in place alongside the other which required some finishing touches before gluing it in place.

FuIVjsz.jpg

gbABA4q.jpg

w4eQ7Ub.jpg

oVtXOtM.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Great progress Doc, a very colourful bunch there...

But it's time to get some more Daemon fanatics on board! What I want to see is some Bloodthirsters! Any chance of this happening? 

The Grey Knights seem stronger at this point of the event - will you let this pass? 

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Thanks!  Colourful they are.

CS and I may be it for daemons this year, what with Scion accidentally pledging for CSM instead.  Still, I think that's double from last year, and not bad considering all the shiny stuff CSM got as well (I'm only daemons this year because of the recent dump of excellent slaaneshi daemons).

That said, I should be done my first vow within a week, and my second vow will more than double my first in points - though it will be far (far, far) fewer models.

Looking good!

Does your army have a common colour running through it?  Maybe the blue/gray on the daemonettes banner?  If so, I would use that on the cloth on the GUO.

Edit: Oh, and I went back to the link in Semper's sig, and it seems we are quite below the number of daemon posters last year - there were 4.  That said, they only made 5 vows and had only a 42% completion rate - I'm trusting that CS and I can beat those dismal statistics.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Unsure of what to do about this back cloth.

gallery_85153_15070_721141.png

Unless you have an "army colour" - in which case that should go on this - either a dirty white or a dirty black would work well.

Here are pictures of my finishes chariot, both alone and with some of my new daemonettes next to it.  Despite the very different hair colours, I fell like they still have the cohesion I'm seeking - they look like parts of the same army rather than a collection of dispirate units.

XDV59kf.jpg

q0ZYjEl.jpg

Edit: just finished my daemonettes (except the banner) - will take a picture once they are done being based, which will most likely be on Thursday.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Okay, sorry about the wait, Semper.  Here are my (almost) completed daemonettes - the banner needs some touch-ups, but other than that they are done.

COEb4v2.jpg

I would say that makes my first vow about 60% done - another chariot and 5 seekers left to do.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks - I've been painting most chances I can get.  Next vow, all my painting will actually be worth some decent points. :smile.:

Glad you like the banner and I'm happy to inspire.  Here's a better picture of the length of the banner - its one of the banners from the seekers sprues.

fw7hdPi.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

They look great Doc! I really like the varying skin colours and the vivd pink of their clothes. now bring this vow home! :)

NOTE: Later today will be the cut-off of the second weekly update. If you want your vow/completion to be included, hurry up!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

How you doing, Closet Skeleton?  I'm eager to see how you did the big boy's bum cloth. :)

Edit: Work is super busy, so had to bring it home this past WE, which really cut into my painting time.  Probably would have finished my vow if it hadn't.  Even so, I have now painted the 2nd chariot and will be basing it tonight, with the second coat of glue on Wednesday... meaning photos will be up on Thursday evening (Friday for Semper :wink: ).  By then I should hopefully be finished painting my seekers, meaning that I should be done my first vow (including basing) before next week, and my next vow will shortly follow.

Which just reinforces why I dislike basing for ETL - it adds 2 days between when I finish painting one vow and when I can start painting the next... so if I want to paint, it has to be something other than my vow.  Good thing I have a mostly finished wall of martyrs section staring at me from my desk. :smile.:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

It's Thursday, and chariot number 2 is done - I think this one's a hellflayer.

kPUfUSw.jpg

LTN2SII.jpg

As well, I've been working on my seekers unit - here's my first completed

lyvEK6i.jpg

Here's a picture with it next to one with just the basic colours blocked in and a pot of Troll Slayer Orange. 

3I8fImb.jpg

I took this picture to show how obnoxious the base colour for her hair was (it's just straight Yriel Yellow) but how less obnoxious it becomes when washed with the almost as equally obnoxious Troll Slayer Orange.  I wouldn't have guessed, except that I had previously discovered this effect when I did the banner for one of my CSM bikes (see here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5286573)

Got the basic colours blocked on the other 4 seekers (just like above), and once I'm done their details, highlights and washes (and basing) that will be my first vow done.  Almost there. :)

Really dig your style man, those pastel-looking colours really work aesthetically and for working out different units! And the washing with troll slayer orange sure works! I mean, you'd need some kind of wash on the Yriel Yellow anyway, so go for orange - why not? But do you plan on going for a further highlight of yellow, or even white on the hair? 

Keep going!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Thanks, glad you like it!  I'm really happy with how they are turning out as well - I was afraid the different hair colours would ruin the cohesive look of the army, but so far they haven't.  Don't know if I would characterize any part of them as "pastel" though (except the lavender highlighting) - florescent comes more to mind. :)

I've done washes to get interesting colours before (for example, snakebite leather (now Balor Brown) over a pale pastel yellow makes for a pretty convincing dirty blond, while red (evil sunz scarlet) over snakebite results in a more realistic red hair colour.   I don't normally do bright-and-bright colours though.

I hadn't thought on doing further highlights - I haven't on any of my other units - but I'll give it a thought when I see the whole unit together.  I've now found that the intensity of the colour really changes depending on the quantity of it and/or the colours next to it.  I just did the mane of another seeker, which is next to purple scales, and the yellow-orange almost looks like the mane is on fire.  Cool effect, but kind of a surprise - I'll have to remember it for later.  I'll share a picture later today.