Countering Knights

MasterDeath

Knights are hard. I would perhaps push forward with plaguebearers and then have 2-3 daemon princes cast smite and charge (hopefull unharmed) and if you are lucky, they could take the knight down. At leasts damage him much so that the knight is less of a threat. 

Pray to Nurgle and play the mission? I'm not big on Nurgle Daemon tactica but I don't really see how you can properly fight a Knight unless you do the big gamble and deep strike a GUO and then charge with it (which also requires for the screen to be taken care of already).

Stack up wound rolls and mortal wounds maybe. Locus of Virulence (+1 wound rolls, +1 damage on a 6+), Plague Banner (Plague Swords become 2 damage), Virulent Blessing (+1 wound rolls, double damage on a 7+)

Plague Bearers get +2 to wound, on a 4+ (natural roll) they will wound and deal 3 damage. On a 5+ (natural roll) they deal 5 damage (banner is a hard change to 2, x2 from Virulent Blessing, +1 from Locus).

Getting them into battle could be hard though. Miasma of Pestilence + Cloud of flies for -2 to be hit could help, then there's Locus of Fecundity to re-roll DR of 1. Maybe keep a Bilepiper nearby for Disease of Mirth to hopefully regain models in Morale. Spoilpox Scrivener for better movement will see them get there faster and provided better odds to hit. Throw some Gnarlmaws in too for better survivability.

Edit: I was mistaken, I thought Locus of Virulence gave a +1 to wound as well, it does not.

Edited by Doom Herald

Soulgrinders are okay but not enough to compete with Knights on their own playground. If you bring your own Knights to fight Knights it's obviously a fair fight (or rather an advantage for whoever goes first in 40k) until your opponent starts using Stratagems, relics and warlord traits on his Knight. ^^

Thats a lot of moving parts. Any experiences with Soulgrinder or Knight Armiger (?) as a support option?

Its only what you want anyway if you want to be competitive with Nurgle.

60 or 90 Plague bearers and all three herald types is your baseline first 800-1000 points of a Nurgle list. Sorry if that's a lot of models and you just want some vehicles to solve your problems but that's not how daemons work as a faction.

The tree is optional against knights but is nice to have. Personally I'd summon it if you want the fall back and charge ability, its not work it for the cover save, defensively you're better off with another 10 plague bearers.

Only real point in Soul Grinders is if you're bringing some greater daemons and need extra target saturation but don't want to use allies and have an actual choice in daemon engines. But if you end up being 'that guy' by taking too many plague bearers in a less competative meta than reigning in your list optimisation with a few random units is probably a good idea.

Most of what I mentioned all comes with the Psyker Herald (Locus of Virulence with Miasma of Pestilence & Virulent Blessing) and a max size plaguebearer unit (Cloud of Flies) with strats (Plague Banner & Locus of Fecundity). The strats aren't really even needed, they just help a lot. The Bilepiper, similarly isn't a big deal, but regaining models is nice. The Scrivener is a bit of a bigger deal. Offense wise, it basicly turns Plaguebearers into melee marines with 1 atack, Death to The Imperfect, and faster movement, +1 to hit, extra stack on 7+ (natural 6), +2 M.

Really, it's just 3 heralds (2 if you don't want the Bilepiper) and Plaguebearers with (maybe) 2 strats. 795/855 points and you get a battalion with 2 or 3 HQs and 90 Infantry. If you want to tone it down, drop a unit of Plaguebearers or the size down a little. Larger games, the full dettachment is almost compulsory. Smaller games... go ahead and drop some Plaguebearers and leave out the piper then add some stuff for your flavor. Drop a unit of Plaguebearers and switch to a Patrol with Poxbringer, Scrivener, and 2 full size Plaguebearer units (585 pt) or drop 1 unit to 10 and the others to 25 for the same points but keep the Battaliion.

It's a lot of effects, but most of them are more or less stationary rather than moving parts.

. Drop a unit of Plaguebearers and switch to a Patrol with Poxbringer, Scrivener, and 2 full size Plaguebearer units (585 pt) or drop 1 unit to 10 and the others to 25 for the same points but keep the Battaliion.

It's a lot of effects, but most of them are more or less stationary rather than moving parts.

No point in taking a patrol when nurglings are troops.

Two units of 30 plague bearers, a squad of nurglings, a poxbringer and a scrivener is a good baseline, in small games one unit of 30 plague bearers and two units of nurglings.

A khorne DP with skullreaver can creep forward and drop a knight solo

Not tried the new slannesh DP but imagine its much the same, just without wings

EDIT: 9 plague drones with the banner stratagem, the Scrivener, a DP the Masque and virulent blessing averages 57 unsaved wounds on a knight

Just the banner strat, DP and VB (much more practical) averages at 25 wounds

Edited by Marshlands

Pitty the plauge banner only effects the swords not all the drone attacks

I think I may have only killed knights with either a khorne dp or massed bloodletters mostly because I use troops from the other gods to control the table and khorne to do the damage

A khorne DP with skullreaver can creep forward and drop a knight solo

Not tried the new slannesh DP but imagine its much the same, just without wings

EDIT: 9 plague drones with the banner stratagem, the Scrivener, a DP the Masque and virulent blessing averages 57 unsaved wounds on a knight

Just the banner strat, DP and VB (much more practical) averages at 25 wounds

A skullreaver prince is still quite superior to the new Slaanesh prince for popping knights unfortunately.  

Overall, I think a pure nurgle daemon list should be playing the objective game vs knights who arent that great vs plaguebearers blobs.  If you arent opposed to allies... add in a tsons supreme command and let the mind bullets fly.  

I had a game in saturday where I meet 4 knights in a 1800point game. I used the Khrone prince and he himslef took out one knight. A second knight was killed mostly by pshycic powers and a third was mor or less stuck with a big unit of plaguebearers. Still he killed mos tof my units but I won big on objectives, 19 - 9. It was a fun game and with a bit of luck at least one more knight would have gone down. 

If he wouldn't have killed most of his units with 4 Knights then something would've been super wrong. Killing things and taking a hit is practically all they can do and as we know Knights aren't weak. ^^