Dreadnought Character (stratagem) interactions

Rodrick

So the character strat is kinda broken, my friend is currently engaged in a tournament where he is running a 6 dread list (1 leviathan 3 ven and 2 regular) along with guard, he is convinced the extra cheap CP are worth the losing out on doctrines and based on his current performance (2-0 tabling both opponents) I'm inclined to agree, he is using the guard as shooting bubble wrap so his character dreads are invulnerable to shooting then he has a leviathan in the center of the board with the 5+++ and the iron father, in both games he has repaired all the wounds that the leviathan has lost and we are both convinced it's going to get nerfed

So the character strat is kinda broken, my friend is currently engaged in a tournament where he is running a 6 dread list (1 leviathan 3 ven and 2 regular) along with guard, he is convinced the extra cheap CP are worth the losing out on doctrines and based on his current performance (2-0 tabling both opponents) I'm inclined to agree, he is using the guard as shooting bubble wrap so his character dreads are invulnerable to shooting then he has a leviathan in the center of the board with the 5+++ and the iron father, in both games he has repaired all the wounds that the leviathan has lost and we are both convinced it's going to get nerfed

Something like dubble battalion "loyal 32" style and a spearhead?

Character strat needs to get toned down to one use only or something.

Something like dubble battalion "loyal 32" style and a spearhead?

Character strat needs to get toned down to one use only or something.

Actually yes, 2 tallran ig loyal 32s (admittedly he uses 2 tank commanders for the added firepower in one) then a marine batallion with 3 scouts the iron father, a regular captain, and the 6 dreads (so it's a mortis, 3 vens, the leviathan and a single regular dread, I completely forgot the relic tax) after upgrading all the dreads to characters and getting the other bonuses, he ends up with a whopping 11 CP to spend on strats during the game itself

The levi was typical storm cannons and iirc all the dreads were dual las and dual autocannon, both commanders were punisher gattling cannons, he said the only hard matchup was someone playing eldar flyer spam, he crushed a guard and a soup knight player easy

Flyer spam is always a hard matchup. I'm building an iron hands flyer list atm. Try and give Them a taste of their own medicin. Hé die win from it then?

Knowing it can crush a guard and IK list is very good to hear.

Where is everyone getting this "extra attack for double dread CCW"? As far as I know, that's no longer a rule. Ironclads get 4 base +1 for Angels of Death.

I dont think I've seen a single post in the thread about that but you may be confused because the character strat gives the dread +1A

• 4 weeks later...

I've not seen the supplement yet but once you give a dreadnought this strategem it says you can chose a warlord trait if it is your warlord. But can it take special issue wargear or relics or is that something that is dealt with before the game begins so they can't take any?

Would the leviathan benefit from being Configured as a bruiser with two cc weapons ?

The problem with having big units like that geared for melee is that they are usually better equipped for ranged combat. The Leviathan has an amazing ranged weapon in the Storm Cannon Array. 20 S7 AP -3(Heavy Doctrine) D2 shots is crazy strong and can shred vehicles, primaris and pretty much anything else you want. It has BS 2+ unless it gets knocked below 4 wounds remaining. The thing is a damned nightmare with Iron Hands and will most likely get a massive points increase come IA2019. Gearing it for melee makes it nearly on par with any other dreadnought. If you really wanted a more melee dreadnought I would go with a venerable dreadnought or maybe the new primaris dreadnought. There might be other dreadnoughts in IA that could work as well though. But the Leviathan is best used as mid-ranged support imho.

The best setup here imho is to have a roaming castle. Leviathan (Double Storm Cannon), Thunderfire Cannon x2, HQ Tech Marine w/ Iron Stone (Used on Leviathan every turn). Actually.... wait.. Using two units of Hell Blasters.... Goodness....

Spearhead Detachment

[HQ] Feirros

[HQ] Librarian w/ Iron Stone

[HS] Leviathan

- Storm Cannon Array x2, Heavy Flamer x2

[HS] HellBlaster Squad (10-man)

- Heavy Plasma Incinerator x10

[HS] HellBlaster Squad (10-man)

- Heavy Plasma Incinerator x10

[HS] Thunderfire Cannon

[HS] Thunderfire Cannon

[HS] Thunderfire Cannon

Fill in the rest of the army with support units that are fast and can capture points... maybe a battalion with scouts in land speeder storms, you can put the HQ Libby with Iron Stone in the battalion... I think I've completed my list... holy hell. 

Edited by Aothaine