Inquisition in Nov WD

Charlo

I'll take any real attention inquisition's way. Even made to order models will hopefully encourage more rules writing than just a copy/paste from the index. I would also love to see any new models (*cough* Ordo Xenos character *cough*). I'm withholding hope though, until I see something substantive.

I thought Ordo-Xenos are just Deathwatch?

The Ordo Xenos is one of the major branches of the Inquisition (alongside Ordo Malleus, Ordo Hereticus and a variety of minor Ordos) and specifically for investigating and dealing with alien threats. The Deathwatch is the Chamber Militant of the OX, I.e. the military organisation which traditionally works with a particular Ordo, having overlapping interests.

Inquisitor Eisenhorn initially works as an Ordo Xenos inquisitor.

Edited by Plasmablasts

Alas, I’d be surprised (albeit very pleasantly!) if we see new Inquisition models coming out imminently (the rumoured models seem likely to be Made to Order to tie in with a WD article to keep Inquisition current since the Index went out of print). New releases of models tend to either come with a Codex or as part of a boxed game. A Kill Team Inquisition expansion seems the most likely vehicle for new Inquisitors, though we might see occasional one-off Black Library tie-ins, like Eisenhorn. It is possible that we could see an Inquisitor released as part of Psychic Awakening , as we did for Greyfax in Gathering Storn.

However it's *not* made to order as it appears on retailer price lists so will be a full on re-release I suppose?

Well as there are a number of  LGS' who stock the GW - Direct only models.... I'd say yep they will be 'Made to Order' or rather a limited run...

It also means that either the leak has come from a smaller set of stores than is truely sensible OR GW are doing away with direct only.

That would be lore-illogical.  Inquisition are not Astartes, and this do not have Black Carapaces.  They cannot pilot Terminator armor, unless there has been a fluff/lore update I didn't catch?  

Also, being normal humans that aren't Astartes sized, they likely wouldn't even be able to fit in a set of Tactical Dreadnaught Armor.  

Of course all this goes out the window if we are talking about Grey Knights, but that's already highly specialized Terminator Armor, and those aren't "inquisitors" per say.  

Do I have the wrong of the lore?

You can already take Ordo Malleus Inquisitors with Terminator Armor. It's not a new thing.

I imagine it works the same way that allows Sisters of Silence, Sisters of Battle and in previous editions all Inquisitors to wear Power Armor without a Black Carapace.

That would be lore-illogical.  Inquisition are not Astartes, and this do not have Black Carapaces.  They cannot pilot Terminator armor, unless there has been a fluff/lore update I didn't catch?  

Also, being normal humans that aren't Astartes sized, they likely wouldn't even be able to fit in a set of Tactical Dreadnaught Armor.  

Of course all this goes out the window if we are talking about Grey Knights, but that's already highly specialized Terminator Armor, and those aren't "inquisitors" per say.  

Do I have the wrong of the lore?

In a word... yes you do.! :p... as Sairence pointed out INQs have been able to take TDA since at least 3rd Ed DH codex...

TDA is usable by humans as its internally powered so the strength of the user is not a factor.  The black carapace just allows more interaction with the wearer, there used to be some fluff about  INQs having to train for years to use TDA but are still slower than when out of it.

You can pilot power armor and terminator armor without a black carapace but it doesn't move with you nearly as smoothly. The black carapace makes power armor into a kind of second skin. An unaugmented human in power armor will feel the weight of their armor a lot more, even though it will move with them somewhat, and will have their reflexes hindered by it a bit.

I always imagined that there were some work arounds available here. Some kind of unique neural or psychic adjustment that links the armor to its wearer, perhaps. It might be able to get a human to astartes level of movement but isn't mass producible enough for marines. 

So if a regular sized human, even a gifted psyker, was to wear a suit of Terminator armor, he would be even more uncoordinated and clunky than in a regular suit of powered armor?  That sounds like a bad combination.  But the fluff is what the fluff is.  I bow to your knowledge.  

So if a regular sized human, even a gifted psyker, was to wear a suit of Terminator armor, he would be even more uncoordinated and clunky than in a regular suit of powered armor? That sounds like a bad combination. But the fluff is what the fluff is. I bow to your knowledge.

Not necessarily: as the poster above stated, there may be some bespoke systems in the suit that allow it to function well without the Black Carapace. However, such systems probably make the suit even more of a unique relic than those of the Astartes, and so only available to very high prestige individuals, such as high-ranking Inquisitors. I don’t think I’ve seen it said anywhere, but I could imagine suits of TDA as heirlooms of the Ordo Malleus, passed down from Inquisitor to Acolyte, quite possibly with a team of Mechanicus Adepts dedicated to the maintenance and repair of the suit.

Ok, correct me if I am wrong again:

I thought TDA was so valuable because it was impossible to make more.  The patterns had been lost.  Even real maintenance of said armor was nearly impossible as aside from oils, and prayers, there was no knowledge of the inner workings?  That's why all the NuMarines have wildly different styled patterns, because even Cawl couldn't recreate Terminator armor.  The Aggressor armor is just a crude imitation of the actual TDA....

Ok, correct me if I am wrong again:

I thought TDA was so valuable because it was impossible to make more. The patterns had been lost. Even real maintenance of said armor was nearly impossible as aside from oils, and prayers, there was no knowledge of the inner workings? That's why all the NuMarines have wildly different styled patterns, because even Cawl couldn't recreate Terminator armor. The Aggressor armor is just a crude imitation of the actual TDA....

In modern lore, terminator armour is entirely able to be produced. It's just not easy (relatively), and can't be pumped out in vast numbers, so it's either allocated to fill requests from astartes chapters, or else requests for human-sized suits from influential figures like inquisitors.

An example of this is seen in the second Carcharodons novel, when attention is drawn (during an equipment exchange) to 10 newly forged suits of terminator armour, still wrapped in sheeting to protect the unpainted surfaces.

Edited by Darkwrath121

Essentially, each suit is hand crafted by experts that preserve their knowledge through generations and tradition. That means that each untimely death, each fallen forge world, each bump in the supply chain, means that less and less tactical dreadnought armor can be made. I imagine that making each suit is the product of years of work by expert craftsmen who only make a small handful of suits in their entire career.

I read it somewhere (I want to say the old Inquisitor game) that the Ordo Malleus gets access to it because their inquisitors have the greater need of it because an experienced ordo malleus inquisitor may actually find themselves in the position to fight greater daemons. The universal ferocity and inability of seconded conventional forces to handle daemons mean that experienced ordo malleus agents are more likely to have to confront the problem personally, and that means they need every possible advantage. There is also some old lore that hints at their connection to the Grey Knights allowing them to syphon off or secure through some means a suit of terminator armor.