Undivided Renegade Knight - Petey returns to Chaos

PeteySödes

Thanks everyone! Yea it’s funny, I tend to have an initial image in my head but then start to overthink. One of the downsides of being a slower modeler, though it least I either get good advice or can talk myself down, since I’ll spend ages deciding, taking pics and ruminating on direction.

I had planned on doing the porcelain effect though I was planning on freehanding rather than crackle paint just for control reasons. When you say expanding the cable effect, I assume you mean more cables? I was likely going to add maybe one more and an almost service stud looking thing on the forehead just for a bit of visual interest and weathering territory (esp if I’m skipping the crown).

Deciding now if I want to make the transition mimic cable going into flesh or a metal fitting.

Edited by PeteySödes

Ok here's a think a nice middleground:

gallery_2327_16015_278392.jpg

gallery_2327_16015_189771.jpg

gallery_2327_16015_220213.jpg

Still have to clean up the structures behind the masks edge on the right side but I think we're in a good spot. Once thats taken care of though next step is to prime (again) to check the sculpting for seams etc.

I've also started on the armor plating as you can see from the careless structure layer :lol:

Also a nice big sis/ lil' sis shot:

gallery_2327_16015_933937.jpg

I really like this a lot so far. Jesus, your cabling is so clean.

I would say if you wanted to do a "crown" type decoration, consider using wrapped barbed wire. Have it more toward the top, spiral around the cabling perhaps (also holding it in place). Make it look as though it were nailed in and when you get to painting, perhaps make it look like it's bleeding from where it's nailed in.

Although I think it's really nice as-is. Maybe just do some cracks like an old porcelain doll face.

Thanks guys!

@Lex I appreciate it! That’s definitely what I’m going for so that makes me feel great!

@Dusk Thanks man! Some of the cables are ones I make out of spare GS when I’m done with stuff so I have a tone of spares lying around that are allowed to cure without any real handling. I’ve also been mixing up 60/40 with miliput so it sticks less and cures harder.

I’m liking t without the crown though, I think the forehead has enough visual interest and enough space to flex in the paint phase as you say!

Edited by PeteySödes

Yea for sure Frostbit13, I’m in no rush, just really enjoying it!

Thing is though if I were to do an army rather than just a one off, I was thinking of taking it more the Renegades and Heretics route. Castigator with 4-6 Armigers of different flavors as vassals with a ludicrous number of cultists. I just think it’d be fun and look really awesome on the table visually.

For the "prongs" on either side of the face, have you considered plasticard and/or brownstuff instead of gs?

I use a mixture of GS and miliput actually so its a pretty similar consistency to brown stuff! In the pics i haven't sanded it down yet to re-trim it. I still have to do it so it's possible i'll use plasticard though, its a medium i like working in. :)

Is there more of a backstory to her, than what you mentioned in the first post? Like is she alligned to a Chaos legion? Or a mercenary? Or is she just a little crazy and/or on her personal quest for revenge :smile.:?

Edited by ranulf the revenant

Is there more of a backstory to her, than what you mentioned in the first post? Like is she alligned to a Chaos legion? Or a mercenary? Or is she just a little crazy and/or on her personal quest for revenge :smile.:?

Yea! I’m still working it up “officially” but the elevator pitch is it’s a Knight World that was reclaimed during the crusade, one of the older but lesser households turned traitor in the heresy. Through maneuvering and brutal betrayals were able to cover their crimes and use the chaos to eliminate the other houses either by force or laying the blame on them in the aftermath when the Warmaster was slain.

When the great rift opened House Sabanth took the opportunity to finally throw off the last vestiges of their Imperial fronts and minders.

Baroness Regia Sabanth is bonded to the archaic Knight Castigator “The Curse of Decceon”. The cruelest of the Houses warmachines, it’s bolt cannon does not pause or discriminate during battle and at some point in the systems dark history was was fitted with the *TBD. A weapon with so dark a history it is impossible to separate the fact from the myth, of any separation exists.

Still fleshing it out but yea, dark mech, knights, and renegades and heretics!

• 2 weeks later...

Been chipping away on a bunch of fronts so i didnt feel like updates wold be particularly interesting buuuuut, i think I've hit a few good milestones.

First up, armor! Keeping my changes focussed on the trim. I feel like this works to keep the knight recognizable but also really pushes the artificer and menace of the thing. Really happy with how weird the sword was turning out so i tried to bring some of those shapes into it.

gallery_2327_16015_138428.jpg

gallery_2327_16015_531367.jpg

gallery_2327_16015_550922.jpg

This was my solution to making the identical panels, literally gluing them together to mirror it. It's not stupid if it works right?

gallery_2327_16015_53179.jpg

Did some painting too, trying a lot of new techniques and styles. This was my first go at using some metallic wax and oil paints, it was super fun and looks pretty damn convincing at least in person. I already learned a ton and think the other leg test will look even better.

gallery_2327_16015_587644.jpg

First tests on primary armor colors! Oils are really fun but learning new stuff after all these years can be a challenge! Going for a dirty mottled black, and once i get that down will play around with doing some chaos wards etc.

gallery_2327_16015_440555.jpg

Its been super fun so far and am pretty close to feeling comfortable at least getting the mechanicals and base started properly!