=] 12 Months of Hobby 2020 [=

Grotsmasha

I absolutely love the metallic blue scheme you’ve done there. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

I am so flattered. It is very simple.

Base coat is Cobalt Alchemy, a metallic blue from Scale 75 (through an airbrush).

Wash all over with Drakenhof Nightshade with just the tiniest hint of yellow ink mixed in. I mean really tiny. In fact, just show the palette the yellow ink pot from the other side of the room.

Black lining (I used mix of black paint and ink). Occasional edge highlight in the Cobalt Alchemy or silver.

Sponge weathering (black, leadbelcher, base colour near feet)

Now I am such an amateur with the airbrush so all I can do is base coats; the Cobalt Alchemy did make it stutter a bit but I just about managed with my usual thinner, and it ended up looking smooth.

Full Disclosure: I came up with this scheme copying the tutorial by @Kizzdougs on this forum. Before he got an airbrush, in his ‘March of the Legions’ he used a Tamiya metallic blue rattle can followed by Tamiya clear blue and Tamiya clear green I believe, but I didn’t want to buy a rattle can just when I’d bought an airbrush and borrowed a compressor, so I improvised, but definitely check that out.

Not sure about links but try:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/236305-the-sekhmethh-emperors-children-emperors-child-20121/page-73

Also check out his later Alpha Legion army (done with airbrush) later in that same thread.

Edited by LameBeard

I absolutely love the metallic blue scheme you’ve done there. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

I am so flattered. It is very simple.

Base coat is Cobalt Alchemy, a metallic blue from Scale 75 (through an airbrush).

Wash all over with Drakenhof Nightshade with just the tiniest hint of yellow ink mixed in. I mean really tiny. In fact, just show the palette the yellow ink pot from the other side of the room.

Black lining (I used mix of black paint and ink). Occasional edge highlight in the Cobalt Alchemy or silver.

Sponge weathering (black, leadbelcher, base colour near feet)

Now I am such an amateur with the airbrush so all I can do is base coats; the Cobalt Alchemy did make it stutter a bit but I just about managed with my usual thinner, and it ended up looking smooth.

Full Disclosure: I came up with this scheme copying the tutorial by @Kizzdougs on this forum. Before he got an airbrush, in his ‘March of the Legions’ he used a Tamiya metallic blue rattle can followed by Tamiya clear blue and Tamiya clear green I believe, but I didn’t want to buy a rattle can just when I’d bought an airbrush and borrowed a compressor, so I improvised, but definitely check that out.

Not sure about links but try:http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/236305-the-sekhmethh-emperors-children-emperors-child-20121/page-73

Also check out his later Alpha Legion army (done with airbrush) later in that same thread.

Thanks very much! I appreciate you taking the time to explain your process. I’ll definitely be giving it a go when I get the chance. I actually used the brilliant tutorial by @Kizzdougs a few years ago to paint pre-Heresy Thousand Sons using a Tamiya rattle can. I don’t have an airbrush currently so I’ll see how the Scale75 brushes on. What primer did you use or would suggest?

Thanks very much! I appreciate you taking the time to explain your process. I’ll definitely be giving it a go when I get the chance. I actually used the brilliant tutorial by @Kizzdougs a few years ago to paint pre-Heresy Thousand Sons using a Tamiya rattle can. I don’t have an airbrush currently so I’ll see how the Scale75 brushes on. What primer did you use or would suggest?

I used Vallejo primer through the airbrush. To be honest, the only thing that’s gone well for me with the airbrush is those primers - I love them, they go on so smooth, choice of colours, can mix your own if you like, have this great sticky quality. I experimented with black below / light grey above, but I don’t think the metallic blue was at all translucent the way I did it, so gave up on this. I probably used their dark grey primer on those three. Again, if you want to use those primers with a brush I think you can no problem. If you want a rattle can I have never tried it but the citadel ones for priming before Contrast are meant to be smooth and there is a grey one (probably at alarming price) I think.

I used Vallejo primer through the airbrush. To be honest, the only thing that’s gone well for me with the airbrush is those primers - I love them, they go on so smooth, choice of colours, can mix your own if you like, have this great sticky quality. I experimented with black below / light grey above, but I don’t think the metallic blue was at all translucent the way I did it, so gave up on this. I probably used their dark grey primer on those three. Again, if you want to use those primers with a brush I think you can no problem. If you want a rattle can I have never tried it but the citadel ones for priming before Contrast are meant to be smooth and there is a grey one (probably at alarming price) I think.

I’ve ordered the cobalt alchemy and I do already have the grey seer primer so I’ll see how it turn out. Thanks again for your help, it’s appreciated.

I’ve ordered the cobalt alchemy and I do already have the grey seer primer so I’ll see how it turn out. Thanks again for your help, it’s appreciated.

Make sure you post pictures! If it's for Alpha Legion, be sure to join us in the 30k Hobby Chat http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363129-30k-hobby-chat/?p=5652247 (linked post should show my very modest Alpha Legion force).

But for now, I am putting this threat back to celebrating the glory of Spazmolytic!

The 2020 Favourite

Everyone please join me in congratulating Spazmolytic for earning the 2020 Platinum Favaourite badge with his outstanding AT Warhound Titan

sml_gallery_48988_16024_1087.png

49974852646_71c8039c85_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_48988_16024_8181.png

The Reclaimation of the Inviolate Rage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+++ ENCRYPTED MESSAGE INCOMING +++
+++ ENTER AUTHORISATION IDENTS +++
+++ ************ +++
+++ PROCESSING +++
+++ PROCESSING +++
+++ AUTHORISATION ACCEPTED MASTER OF THE ARSENAL +++
+++ DECRYPTION IN PROGRESS +++
+++ MESSAGE BEGINS +++

+++ BROTHER, I BID YOU WELL, AND BEAR GRIM TIDINGS. WE HAVE LOCATED THE FLAGSHIP OF THE HERALDS OF DEVASTATION. AS YOU KNOW, WE BELIEVED THE CHAPTER LOST, AS WE HAVE HAD NO CONTACT SINCE THE APPEARANCE OF THE CICATRIX MALEDICTUM. THE INVIOLATE RAGE IS TRANSMITTING A DISTRESS CALL FROM BEYOND THE EASTERN FRINGE, A SYSTEM NAMED VOLTRONUS. I HAVE COMMAND OF A SMALL CRUSADE FORCE OF NEAR COMPANY STRENGTH, I HAVE SQUADS FROM MANY OF OUR UNFORGIVEN BROTHERHOOD, I AM REQUESTING AID IN WHATEVER FORM YOU CAN SPARE IT. WE WILL RETURN THE CHAPTER TO US.
FAREWELL BROTHER, FOR THE LION +++

+++ MESSAGE ENDS +++

gallery_48988_16024_116656.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Imperial Forces spread into the region, a thorough sweeping advance. Passing through muddy swamps, sandy deserts, and thick forests. Emerging from one such forest, Commander Focslain's spirits and those of his forces were lifted as the silhouette of one of the planets Spaceports filled their view, dwarfed only by Hive Vatarus Prime in the distance.

As Focslains' forces drew near to the Spaceport, a sound, drifting on the wind, became audible, soft at first, but growing with each step towards the Spaceport, sounds of anguish and pain, of insanity and hunger. Suddenly, a massive swarm of diseased ridden, misshapen horrors came pouring out the Spaceport towards the Imperial Forces, massively outnumbered, Commander Focslain had no choice but to retreat and await reinforcements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost seemingly with single purpose, the majority of the Chaos Forces focused their forces in a concentrated push down the centre of the region, directly towards their Primary Objective. Believing a solid offence to be the best kind of defence, Commanders Llygos_Tyrant and Givemead made haste towards the Imperial lines, eager to bring the fight to the enemy.

Making his way through some thick forestry, Commander Givemead stumbled upon what appeared to be an abandoned Astartes forward base. Cautiously picking their way through the rubble towards the base, the Cultists were caught completely unaware when the automated defenses of the Astartes base suddenly roared to life. Emerging from concealed positions, space marines in deep purple armour unloaded bolt-round after bolt-round at the Cultists. Outnumbered, and out-gunned, Givemead let loose a roar of anger to the sky, and called his forces to withdraw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The divided Forces of the Xenos have split up to capture the region, with Commanders Toaae and Rogue advancing down the centre, towards the Primary goal, with Commander Dwango advancing on the Chaotic Region.

Continuing to advance along the same lines, Brother Argent and Gore Crow head towards the Chaos Faction, exploring the region as they went. In the centre, the combined forces under Grotsmasha's command smashed aside the lumbering Poxwalkers, and claimed the Starport for the Imperial Forces.

On the far side of the map, along the Xenos Front, the sounds of battle could be heard. As Trokair's forces advanced through the forestry, the trees cleared, revealing a concealed bunker entrance into a Missile Silo. Unfortunately, the entire clearing was swarming with Gretchin. Massively outnumbered, Trokair's forces held their ground at the treeline, they were going to need backup.

Similarily, Majkhel's forces altered their advance upon hearing the raucous din of engines and gunfire. Advancing through the brush, it was revealed to be a group of Ork Boyz, arguing, and racing about what had once been Astartes Forward Base. It was now covered in orkish armour, guns, and fortifications. With his small scouting force outnumbred 4 to 1, Majkhel called his troops to a halt and radioed for assistance.

Spreading out to uncover their surrounding area, the Chaos Forces mad a good effort at uncovering the contents of the map. Dr_Ruminahui covered he Xenos flank, whilst Llygos_Tyrant surveyed along the mountains towards the Imperial Forces.

As Llygos_Tyrant's forces moved out, committed to the Combined Assault with Givemead on the Astartes Forward Base, his scouts returned with word of a Missile Silo out in the desert, guarded by a Platoon of PDF Troopers. They would need to return once the Astartes Base was dealt with.

With their combined forces outnumbering the Astartes, Givemead and Llygos_Tyrant smashed through the base defenses, and with a sustained fire-fight, beat out the Astartes to claim the Forward Base. With barely a moment to rest Givemead gave the order, the Fortifications must be rebuilt.

Continuing his purposeful advance down the centre line, Ace Debonair's forces were completely unprepared for what awaited them as they emerged from the forestry they had been advancing through. Before them stood a Starport, defended with gun emplacements, barricades, manned by PDF Troops and Astartes. His forces stood no chance, they would need reinforcements.

Meanwhile, closer to the Xenos lines, mandaloriano's forces altered their course towards the sounds of gunfire and high pitched argueing, coming from beyond the treeline. A mob of Gretchin had taken up refuge in an PDF Installation, easy picking for the Death Guard, or so they believed. However more and more Gretchin poured from the Installation, makeshift traps and explosives haltingthe Death Guard advance. A little surprised at the defiance of the greenskins, mandaloriano called his troops back, they would need more numbers.

Continuing to spread out and explore their area, Commander's Zujara and Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch advanced on the Imperial Faction, whilst Magus Rogue continued his advance towards the Primary Objective.

Meanwhile, on the far side of the map as Farseer Dwango's forces continued on towards the Chaotic forces, a small structure became visible amidst the desert sands. As they drew closer, an audible moan grew on the wind, gradually growing to a roar. Charging from the Missile Bunkers access tunnel poured a steam of disease ridden Poxwalkers, remnants of the facilities workers. Outnumbered almost 2 to 1, Farseer Dwango called on his forces to withdraw, they would need support. Commander Rogue's forces have returned with news, Vatarus Hive Primus and The Inviolate Rage are protected by a vast shield, surrounding the entire Hive. They have identified multiple shield boosters, and several weak spots that under Assault, a small strike force could sneak through and destroy the boosters, allowing the force to pass.

Advancing on the Astartes Forward Base, Grotsmasha's forces managed a hard fought victory against the Orks, claiming the Forward Base and it's Rapid Assault ability. Meanwhile Gederas continued on the centreline, straight towards the Inviolate Rage and Hive Vatartus. However as his forces drew towards the city, a force field was raised around the entire hive.

Gederas' scouts identified multiple shield boosters within the shields perimeter, and several weak spots that under Concentrated Assault, a small strike force could sneak through and Sabotage the boosters, allowing the force to pass.

In a great show of force this month, the Chaos Commanders launched a series of strikes on the high value targets of the Faction T Territiory. Commander Llygos_Tyrant joined force with Ace Debonair to first secure the Starport, chasing out the Astartes and PDF Troops, he then doubled back to collect his Reserves before moving on the Missile Silo to send the PDF garrison running. With the Starport secured, Ace Debonair swung his forces towards the PDF Installation, and together with manaloriano and a Rapid Assault by Givemead, assaulted the occupying Gretchin, sending them scurrying back into the wilderness.

Meanwhile, over on the Xenos border, Dr_Ruminahui's forces climbed the Great Dividing Ranges, intent on scouting the Xenos Factio's Territory. At the peak of the Range, a lone Eldar appeared from the brush. His message was brief. The Xenos would honour the truce, they would remain within their own territory. Dr_Ruminahui watched as the Eldar disappeared as quickly as he had appeared, heading towards a Missile Silo located in the plains below.

As the Chaos Forces prepared their next moves, all eyes were drawn to the horizon, a shield had raised, encompassing the entirety of Hive Vatarus and the Inviolate Rage.

Continuing to explore the Faction Territory, Commanders Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch and Zujara both stumbled upon a PDF Installation guarded by a large PDF force of 30 Troopers. Unfortunately, not even their combined numbers were able to overcome the entrenched PDF, and reinforcements would be required. Advancing straight down the middle, longjohnsilvers' lone Guardsman uncovered a Fortified Starport, guarded by a combined force of Astartes and PDF Troops.

Meanwhile along the southern border, Commander Rogue carried out a series on Concentrated Assaults and Sabotage missions, managing to locate the Primary Shield Booster and bring down a section of the shield protecting Hive Vatarus and the Inviolate Rage.

Along the Chaos border, Commander Dwango assaulted and claimed the Missile Silo, chasing off the Poxwalkers, sending a Scout into the Great Dividing Ranges with a message for the Chaos Emmisary. Chaos sought a Truce so they may focus on the Imperial Forces, the greatest threat to both Factions, their terms were for both Factions to remain within their own territory. The Xenos accepted this truce.

In a series of coordinated attacks, the Xenos Commanders went on the offensive. Commanders Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch and Zujara combined forces to take the PDF Installation, chasing off the PDF Troopers. In the centre of the region, Commanders toaae and The_Chaplain, assisted by a Missile Barrage, claimed the Starfort, forcing out the Astartes and PDF Troops. As the Attack on the Starport began, The_Chaplains scouts reported in, they'd located a fortified Astartes Forward Base to the west, swarming with Cultists.

In a head-long charge, Commander Dwango marched his forces from the Missile Silo down to the Forward Section of the Inviolate Rage to join forces with Commander Rogue to secure the Armoury within the Prow of the Inviolate Rage.

Entering the Forward Section of the Inviolate Rage, Commander Rogue's forces spread out and advanced slowly, the lack of both power or opposition disconcerting to the troops. Although the exterior of the hull was badly damaged in the crash, the security of the Armoury was intact, with no breaches to be found. The Xenos would need to breach the Armoury's Primary Bulkhead. They faced a choice.

They could Assault the Bulkhead, permanently destroying it, or, they could attempt to Hack the Bulkhead, leaving it operational as a future Defense.

For the second month in a row, the majority of the Imperial Commanders consolidated their positions, and held back their Forces, biding their time. Commander Trokair however advanced on the Gretchin in the Missile Silo, easily defeating them and sending them scurring off in the distance. Commander Sufficient Anonymity advanced on the centre, backing Commander Gederas, intent on brute forcing his way through the shield protecting The Inviolate Rage and Hive Vatarus.

The Chaos Commanders decided upon two clear courses of action this month. Commanders Mandaloriano, Guardian31, Llygos_Tyrant began the task of Fortifying their Forward Bases in preparation for he coming conflict. Meanwhile, Commanders Ace Debonair, Givemead and Dr Ruminahui made a concentrated advance on Hive Vatarus and The Inviolate Rage.

Ace Debonair's advance stalled as it neared the Hive and downed starship. They were protected by a vast shield, encompassing the entirety of the Hive and Inviolate Rage.

Scouting the perimeter of the shield identified multiple shield boosters within the shields perimeter, and several weak spots that under Concentrated Assault, a small strike force could sneak through and Sabotage the boosters, allowing the force to pass.

Deploying at the Starport, Commander TPS entered the campaign with purpose, immediately ordering his troops to march on the Prow and to destroy the Bulkhead baring access to the Inviolate Rage's Armoury.

Commander Dwango's reinforcements deployed to the PDF Installation, destined to join their Primary force at the Armoury. Travelling along the mountainous Ranges, Dwango sent scouts to the peaks to Survey the Imperial Region, hoping to gain valuable intel on the enemy forces. The first scout revealed his findings, another Astartes Forward Base, occupied and fortified. Even as the first report came in the second interjected, their position was being advanced upon by Imperial Troops, they would need to fall back. From the Prow, Commander Dwango looked outward towards the sections of the Shield still functioning over the Hive and Inviolate Rage. Even as he watched, another section failed, the Imperial Forces choosing brutality and numbers to bring down the shield. They marched on the Hive, and the Inviolate Rage's midships, seemingly unaware that the Prow was already occupied.

The_Chaplain's forces departed the Spaceport, splitting in two, the first also heading to bolster the defences of the Armoury, the second aimed squarely at the Cultists occupying the Astartes Forward Base. With a slight advantage in numbers, The_Chaplains forces ousted the Cultists and claimed the Astartes Base for the Xenos.

With the Bulkhead destroyed, the Xenos Commanders entered the ships Armoury and Forge. The vast chamber was cluttered with all manner of machinery and equipment, come intact, much destroyed in the Inviolate Rage's crash landing. More importantly, there were five large antechambers, each shielded with an energy barrier. Through the shimmering haze of the shields, vast amounts of portable and mobile weaponry could be seen. Unfortunately, due to the enclosed space of the Armoury, any Assault on the shields posed too greater risk to the equipment, the Shields security codes would need to be Hacked, fortunately these systems were less complex than the Bulkheads Security System.

Consolidating his troops, Commander Gore Crow marched upwards, and towards the Chaos lines, perhaps preparing to scout the enemy Region?

Similarily, Wakkomaster headed in the other direction, towards the Xenos' Region, bolstering the border defences.

In the centre of the map, Gederas and SufficientAnonymity's forced joined together and forced their way through the shield with a Combined Attack, continuing on to the Hive, and the Apothecarion of the Inviolate Rage, the Imperium's Primary Objective.

Also marching on the Xenos line, Majkhel claimed a section of the Dividing Ranges, forcing back a lone scout from the Xenos Forces. The Ranges overlooked both the Xenos Regions, and the Hive city and Inviolate Rage. Surveying the Region revealed a heavy Xenos presence in the Prow of the ship, the Armoury their likey target.

To protect the flanks of the main attack, Brother Cambius moved his forces forward stopping before a section of still functioning shield.

Leaving a minimal force behind the maintain the Missile Silo, Trokair bridged the Dividing Ranges and headed out into the Xenos Region, perhaps hoping to claim one of their Fortifications?

Upon approaching the Apothecarion of the Inviolate Rage, Gederas and SuffucientAnonymity discovered the Bulkhead was sealed. A search of the surrounding decks revealed that the Apothecarion was secure despite the extensive damage to the ship. The Imperial Commanders faced a choice.

They could Assault the Bulkhead, permanently destroying it, or, they could attempt to Hack the Bulkhead, leaving it operational as a future Defense.

With a grunt of satisfaction Gederas' Techmarine finally stood up, whirring and clicking could be heard within the Bulkhead. After several moments it began to slowly grind open, stiff after many months, or perhaps years, of neglect. Upon entering the Apothecarion, the Imperial Commanders were confronted by a lone space marine in Terminator Armour, storm-bolter raised and ready to fire.

"Halt" commanded Chief Apothecary Martaine of the Heralds of Devastation, "You bear the livery of my Brothers, but Chaos permeates this planet, I must be sure. Submit to gene-confirmation or your lives are forfeit."

The Apothecarion's auto-defenses suddenly whirred to life, laser trackers settling on the Commanders chests, Martaine gestured to large medical cogitator located beside the entryway, "Only a true son of The Lion can deactivate the defenses."

Removing his gauntlet, Commander Gederas placed his hand on the cogitator, he showed no reaction as the blood sampling needles pieced his flesh. "We received the distress call Brother, many have come to render aid", Gederas removed his hand and replaced his gauntlet as the machine began its work. "The enemy is here too, both Xenos and Traitor".

Martaine did not respond, storm-bolter still aimed squarely at Gederas. After several moments of tense silence, a single chime rang out from the cogitator, "I am satisfied" affirmed the Chief Apothecary as he lowered his weapon, "Come, I require you're assistance".

Leading the Commanders through a series of hidden passageways and grav-lifts, Martaine led them to a large hidden chamber deep within the ship, within there were five smaller antechambers, each shielded with an energy barrier. Between the five antechambers lay 100 Primaris Astartes.

"They were ordered into sus-an sleep when Lord Guilliman delivered them, we didn't trust them", explained the Chief Apothecarion, "However, needs must, we need them. Caster, our Master of the Forge, has enacted a Security Protocol allowing only our Chapter Master to release them, unfortunately I alone from the Chapters command survived the crash."

Due to the enclosed space of the chamber, any Assault on the shields posed too greater risk to the Astartes beyond, the Shields security codes would need to be Hacked, fortunately these systems were less complex than the Bridge's Bulkhead Security System.

In a month of calm, the Chaos Commanders consolidated their positions, preparing for the inevitable hostilities yet to come.

The comm-lines suddenly burst to life, the front-llne Commanders were all reporting the unmistakable pop and static charge of a Shield being forced to overload and fail. The enemy was in the Hive.

Commander Dwango stood back from the panel, the static in the air dissipating as the shield blocking access to the 1st Antechamber powered down. It had been a tedious task, but with a method established, he enlisted the aid of The_Chaplain, and taking two each of the remaining four Antechambers, they set about the task of deactivating the Security Overrides. Although monotonous, the established method paid off, with the remaining four shields blocking access to the Antechambers being brought down.

As the last shield deactivated, the Commanders attention was drawn to a new sound at the rear of the main chamber, a single large hiss preceded the activation of a hidden panel sliding apart to reveal yet another Bulkhead, marked in black and yellow, bathed in the glow of red light, a single word emblazoned across the Bulkhead: EXTERMINATUS. Accessing the new Bulkhead would need to wait however, as the Imperium was in the Xenos' Factions Region, and had Assaulted the PDF Installation. Dwango and The_Chaplain's forced collected as many of the Portable Weapons as possible, deploying 75 to the Armoury's main chamber.

Appearing from over the Dividing Ranges, heralded by a Missile Barrage, Imperial Commander Trokair threw his forces at the PDF Installation, and were it not for the Installations Emergency Reinforcements his attack would have been successful. Fortunately the combined forces of Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch and Zujara were enough to hold the Installation.

Forming a line along the Imperium's border, Dwango discovered further Imperial advances on the Xenos Region in the form of Wakkomaster's army, and Trokair's reinforcements. TPS also committed a pair of Scout Titans to exploration of the Imperial Region, locating their Fortified Spaceport.

Continuing to cement their control of the Prow and the Armoury, Commanders Dwango, TPS, and Rogue also brought forward their reinforcements from the Spaceport. If they were to be engaged in the Armoury, they would be ready.

Scans of the new Bulkhead revealed it be constructed of materials even stronger than the one that hard barred access to the Armoury. Assaulting and destroying the Bulkhead would not be possible the ordinance required posed too greater risk to the forces and equipment in the main chamber, it would need to be Hacked.

To shore up the Imperial centre, Commanders Focslain, Grotsmasha, and the Combined Alliance deployed their reinforcements, further securing the PDF Installation, Starport, and Astartes Forward Base, with Wakkomaster moving to the Xenos flank towards the Missile Silo.

On the Xenos Front, Commander Majkhel advanced into the enemy region, scouting the territory. Commander Trokair, however, took the fight to the Xenos, unleashing a Barrage from the Missile Silo, he Assaulted PDF Installation attempting to push back Xenos Commanders Zujara and Daimyo Phaeron-Lenoch. However, in a narrow defeat the Xenos held the Installation by the smallest of margins.

In a move to secure the Factions flank from the Forces of Chaos, Commanders Gorecrow and Brother Argent moved into the Dividing Ranges, putting the Chaos Commander Dr_Ruminahui between them. Gazing out into the enemy region, they located both the enemies Missile Silo and Astartes Forward Base.

Meanwhile in the Inviolate Rage's Apothecarion, Commander Gederas set about hacking the first of the secured Antechambers. After many a frustrating hours of tireless repetition, Gederas' patience paid off, the first Antechamber was opened and the first 20 Heralds of Devastation prepared to take their orders.

With their planning and consolidations from last month complete, the Chaos Commanders set about both securing their Region, and making a push on the Hive and Inviolate Rage.

Commanders Arkhanist and Aeternus, secured the PDF Installion, and set about rebuilding the defenses that were destroyed in it's original capture. Guardian31 also deployed his reserves, choosing to support mandaloriano at the Starport.

Deciding to Scout the Imperial Region, Commander Dr-Ruminahui moved to the bordering Dividing Ranges, moving along their length, scouting the terrain below as he went. Discovering a similar layout to his own Region, the Imperials also had a PDF Installation and Starport within their borders. Of more immediate concern, though, was the three Imperial armies camped along the Imperial side of the Ranges.

Marching down the flank of the region, Llygos_Tyrant joined Givemead in a Combined Assault on the shield blocking access to Hive Vatarus and The Inviolate Rage. The combined forces of the two commanders proved too mush for the shield, bring it down under the weight of sustained fire. With the shield collapsed, the commanders were greeted with the sight of the massive engines of a starship. They had found the rear section of the Inviolate Rage, containing the Bridge and Engine Decks, their Minor Objective.

Spreading their forces out, Commanders Givemead and Llygos_Tyrant searched for access to the ship. After a brief period their troops reported back, two items of immediate importance, 1- There were a sizable number of Imperial Forces in the Mid-ships, and 2- there were multiple hull breaches, and that they had located both the Bridge and Engine Decks, unfortunately, both the Bridge and Engine Decks were secured by closed Bulkheads, the Commanders faced a decision.

They could Assault the Bulkheads, permanently destroying them, or they could attempt to Hack the Bulkheads, leaving them operational as a future Defense.

Deciding to Hack the Bulkheads, Commander Givemead began with the Bridge, the intelligence that could be gathered there would be invaluable. After countless attempts, and hours of monotonously punching numbers into the num-pad, Givemead was finally granted with the whir and hiss from within the Bulkhead as the code was accepted and it began it's slow grind open.

Stepping through the opened Bulkhead into the Bridge, Givemead was greeted by the whir of servo's as the auto-defenses locked onto his power armour, however they did not fire. His attention was drawn to the deck by a small click to see a red-painted marking within the doorway, and a small hatch opening to reveal a rising scanner. Settling at waist height, Givemead recognised the scanner as a hand-print gene-scanner. He weighed his options, he could take the Bridge by force, destroying the auto-defenses and potentially damage or destroy vital equipment and intelligence contained in the Bridge, or he could hope that there was a wayward son of the Lion on Voltronus to deactivate the defenses. Deciding to think on it, he turned and left the Bridge, his attention shifted to the Bulkhead protecting the Engine Decks.

Having found a method with the Bridges' Bulkhead, Commander Givemead settled in for the grind. finding success slightly quicker with this Bulkhead, Givmead waited patiently as the Bulkhead began the slow grind open, damaged in the starships planet-fall. Entering the Engine Decks, Givemead noticed at a glance the scattered remains of servitors strewn throughout the damage, but his attention was drawn to the five shielded area's and the massive Bulkhead toward the rear of the massive chamber. He knew the massive Bulkhead, constructed of the hardest materials available, led to the Inviolate Rage's plasma drives. Perhaps it would be possible to overload them and deny the ship and planet to the Imperium? Scanning the shielded Antechambers, he discovered they each contained 20 functioning Servitors. Once reprogrammed they could be used to bolster the offensive, or defensive, capabilities of The Factions forces.

Commanders Llygos_Tyrant and Dr Ruminahui teamed up to deny the Imperium gaining a foothold within the Factions territory. Dr Ruminahui first battering Brother Argent's smaller force, sending them back to their own region, before turning his attention to Gore Crow's larger threat. Assisted by Llygos_Tyrant with a Barrage from the Missile Silo, Dr Ruminahui also forced Gore Crow back into Imperial territory, before withdrawing to the Missile Silo to reinforce both his troops, and the Missile Silo's defences.

Commander Givemead called his reinforcements to the Rear-ships, as he continued to explore what the Inviolate Rage has to offer.

The sounds of warfare ring out from the Imperium's Territory, the Xenos appear to be holding to their truce with the Chaos Faction.

Called to battle by Dr_Ruminahui's attacks, Commanders Gore Crow and Brother Argent responded with an assault of their own. Choosing the tactical option, rather than the route of revenge, they joined forces to assault the Chaos Astartes Base. Finding it maned with just a skeleton crew, they easily claimed the base for themselves and set about re-consecrating it to the Imperial cause.

Meanwhile on the far side of the region, Commanders Trokair and Majkhel teamed up for an assault for themselves. This time with twice the manpower, the assault on the PDF Installation by the Imperium was too much for the Xenos commanders to handle, and they withdrew into their Faction Territory.

The rest of the Imperial Commanders fortified their locations and called in their reinforcements.

After what felt like an eternity, The_Chaplain stood back from the panel, finally the door had been hacked, and it began it's slow grind open. Stepping through the still opening bulkhead, The_Chaplain's attention was drawn to the floor as a small scanner rose from the red-marked deck. Settling a little higher than waist height, the scanner was revealed to be a bio-imprint hand scanner. As The_Chaplain started towards the scanner, he stopped in his tracks, suddenly aware of the whir of servo motors, as an extensive series of auto-defenses came to life, aiming in his direction. It was immediately obvious that going beyond the red markings on the deck, or if the bio-scan did not provide a suitable match, the guns would fire. Peering into the chamber, he could make out the shapes of six very large torpedoes.

Closer to the centre of the Hive, SufficientAnonymity's reinforcements drove TPS' scouting force back as they headed to the Imperial controlled section of the downed Starship.

Sounding the War Horns, Dr_Ruminahui called for a massed attack on the Imperial Forces embedded within the Apothecarion of the Inviolate Rage. Pulling forces from the Chaos Region and Fortifications, the Chaos Commanders attacked the Mid-Ships with overwhelming force, the closed Imperial Emergency Bulkheads were blown to pieces, doing little to impede the Chaos horde. Pushing the Imperium beyond the hull of the Inviolate Rage, the Commanders stalked into the Apothecarion, only to be met with a hail of auto-defense gunfire. The Commanders faced a choice, they could force the chamber and destroy the auto-defense turrets, risking damage to the gene-stocks they so desperately sought, or they could wait and attempt to deactivate the turrets a different way.

Meanwhile, within the Engine Decks, Commander Givemead has withheld his troops from the attack, instead securing the Rear Ships, whilst he Hacked the massive Bulkhead, blocking access to the Inviolate Rage's Plasma Drives. Although time consuming, and tedious, once again persistence paid off and Givemead stepped forward as the Bulkhead began the process of opening.

The Apothecarion

If the Chaos Commanders choose to Assault the Auto-Defenses, they run the risk of destroying the geneseed they seek. There are 10 auto-defense turrets within the Apothecarion, which must ALL be destroyed before the geneseed can be collected. To destroy the auto- defenses I will roll 1xD6 per turret, destroying a turret on a result of "6", for every result that IS NOT a "6", five geneseed will be destroyed, reducing the amount that can be claimed.

Once all of the auto-defenses have been destroyed, each model may claim one geneseed vial. Each vial may then be evactuated via the Starport is worth +1 Victory Point if evacuated.

The Plasma Drives

Stood before the Plasma Drive and it's protective shielding, the massive Control Panel for the Drive gave off a slight glow, various screens and buttons illuminated in shades of red, green, and yellow. The control panel was massive, the size of a Rhino Transport. Adeptus Astartes were gifted a great amount of knowledge in their creation, but the specifics of Plasma Drive operation was not included in that gift. A Cursory Scan of the Control Panel will reveal basic operations of the Drive, a Thorough Scan will reveal more advanced operations.

A loud cracking boom rang out from the Xenos factions territory, they had brought down one of the remaining sections of the Hive's Shield, Commander TPS claiming the tile for the Xenos faction.

Suddenly the Comm's burst to life, sentries all about the ship began earnestly reporting a massive advance from the Rear of the ship, Chaos was coming for the Apothecarion and the Heralds' gene-stock. With the speed and ferocity of the attack, and with superior numbers, the Chaos Commanders swept into the Mid-ships pushing the Imperial forces out of the Apothecarion, the closed Bulkhead causing little delay to the masses of Chaos. The Imperium would not be held back for long though, sending out the call for reinforcement. Reclaiming the Starport from Rogue, the Combined Alliance of Commanders answered the call, dividing and sending significant reinforcement to the frontline. With the added numbers, the Imperium launched a swift counter-attack, reclaiming the Apothecarion, the gene-stocks would need to be checked.

On the opposide of the Imperial Territory, Commander Gore Crow made out to claim the Chaos Factions Missile Silo, arriving only to find it abandoned. The Chaos Commanders had pulled their troops forward to aid in the assault on the Apothecarion, had they done this at other locations too?

Gore Crow, Majkhel, and Trokair's attentions were drawn to the Command Centers of the Silos. With the Imperium now controlling all three Missile Silo's, they had begun the automated process of re-establishing a triangulation link, and advanced scanning capabilities.

Calling in vast swathes of reinforcements, the Xenos commanders consolidated their Forces at the Armoury this month, with TPS, The_Chaplain and Dwango all solidifying their control in the centre.

Commander Rogue on the other hand collected up a stash of Portable Weaponry and set out on a mission of disruption and diversion, intent on disrupting the Imperial war efforts with a series of rapid hit and run attacks. Forcing Crovan aside on his march to the Imperial Astartes Base, Rogue defeated Grotsmasha and forced his forces back further into the Imperial Region, barely stopping the advance, Rogue moved on the Starport, smashing Crovan aside for a second time. The Starport was a much harder target to conquer, but even with the PDF's Rapid Reinforcements, and the Starport's Air Defences, the Imperium were ultimately overcome and forced back (by just 2 POINTS!!!). Leaving a skeleton crew behind, the bulk of Rogue's forces returned to the Prow of the Inviolate Rage.

Standing before the open Bulkhead, Commander Dwango looked to Commander Rogue, "my troops have found these two in the wreckage, they have expired", Rogue responded "mine lives, but is not responsive, some sort of coma, I believe our best chance lies with him".

"Agreed" responded Dwango, indicating to his troops to take the corpses away.

Stepping into the chamber, Commanders Rogue and Dwango propped up the marine, placing his gauntlet upon the pedestal scanner. After several moments of inactivity, they deduced the scanner may need skin contact and set about removing the marines gauntlet, and replaced his hand on the scanner. Immediately the scanner reacted, a pneumatic hiss preceded a needle rising from the scanner to take a blood sample from the marine. As the needle retracted, a screen to the left of the scanner lit up, showing a slowly growing bar, indicating the progress of the scan. After several anxious minutes, the progress bar reached the end of it's box, the scanner began clicking, before eventually turning a solid green. The auto-defense turrets withdrew into their concealed compartments as the lighting in the chamber was brought up to full luminosity.

Cautiously stepping beyond the red markings, Commanders Rogue and Dwango split up to investigate the 6 torpedoes, and their surrounding chamber. Between the six torpedoes, there were three unique designs, two of each design. Each torpedo was connected to a cogitator bank, with no discernable way to activate the weapons externally. There were also 9 torpedo tubes in the chamber, 6 forward facing tubes, firing from the Prow, and three vertical tubes, allowing the torpedoes to be fired either down into the earth, or up into the atmosphere.

The Inviolate Rage trembled and shook as the sounds of fierce battle from the midships echoed through it's hull, the Chaos Faction was assaulting the Imperium, attempting to claim the Apothecarion for itself. The Forces of Chaos held the initial numerical superiority, driving the Imperials from the ship. However, in immediate response, the Imperium rallied it's forces from the surrounding territory, bringing them forward in a massive push to reclaim the Midships. The Combined Alliance swept through the Starport, driving Rogue's small force back towards the Prow, and the bulk of the Xenos Forces. Once more the din of battle descended on the Inviolate Rage as the Imperium reclaimed the Apothecarion.

Meanwhile, deep within the Xenos Territory, Majkhel went on a retaliatory campaign, setting out from the PDF Installation, Majkhels forces toured the region, pushing Daimyo-Phaeron and Zujara further towards the ruined hive before continuing on to the Starport, forcing toaae's troops back to join up with Zujara and Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch. Majkhel was not done yet, continuing on to the Astartes Forward Base, The_Chaplain was also forced aside, before Majkhel continued on to the Missile Silo where his forces finally settled, once more forcing out Rogue's occupying troops, claiming the Missile Silo for the Imperium

Deep within the Prow of the Inviolate Rage, insulated from the combat beyond, commanders TPS, Rogue, and The_Chaplain set about cogitators surrounding the torpedoes, each choosing a different style to thoroughly scan.

Scanning Blue 1, TPS discovered it to be a Cyclonic Torpedo. These types of torpedoes' burrow deep into a planets core, causing massive disruptions to the tectonic plates as they pass. This will cause massive earthquakes, that will only intensify in magnitude until the planet shakes itself apart, splitting from crust to core.

Rogue's target Red 1, revealed itself to be an Infernum Torpedo. This torpedo releases a rare chemical cocktail that seeps into all it touches, causing spontaneous fires to ignite. Eventually, the atmosphere of the planet will ignite, turning the planet into a raging firestorm with heat so intense that it will consume flesh and metals alike. Once the atmosphere is consumed and the fire burned out, all that is left of the planet is a lifeless husk, floating in the void.

Under The_Chaplain's attentions, Green 1 revealed itself as the most feared of all methods of Exterminatus, a Life-Eater torpedo. The life-eater virus is one of, if not the most extreme, and feared, weapons within the Imperiums' arsenal. It is reserved for the most desperate of situations, the chemical reactions of the virus reduce everything it touches, living or constructed, into their base constituents. The virus is persistent, rendering any planet inhospitable for eternity.

Hidden Content

Each torpedo has three levels of yield, depending on their method of deployment.

The 1st Method: Manual, land based deployment

The Torpedo will need to be transported to a Tile for deployment, due to the size of the torpedoes, and the care required while moving them, it a move action is 3CP per tile.

Blue 1: Cyclonic Torpedo - Centered on the target tile, expanding outwards in a ring each month by 1 tile, the Region will become more and more unstable, causing a +1CP penalty to all movement on an affected tile.

Red 1: Infernum Torpedo - Centered on the target tile, expanding outwards in a ring each month by 1 tile, the Region will become shrouded in flame and smoke, severely reducing visibility, the Fog of War will be reapplied to the Region. Only deployed Forces will be visible.

Green 1: Life-Eater Virus - The Virus deploys at Intensity 1, as it consumes it's surroundings and expands throughout the tile, it will gain +1 Intensity per Faction Turn. Once a tile reaches Intensity 3, it is destroyed and becomes Impassable Terrain.

Torpedoes deployed in this manner may be destroyed by enemy forces if they capture the tile, and disarm (Hack) the Torpedo in their following turn. They will not be told there is a Torpedo to disarm until they reclaim the tile.

The 2nd Method: Manual, aerial deployment

The Torpedo will need to be transported to a Tile for deployment, due to the the care required to transport the Torpedo, it will cost 20CP to prepare and secure the Torpedo within a Bomber aircraft for deployment, and secure it's fighter escort and defense.

Blue 1: Cyclonic Torpedo - The target tile is destroyed and becomes Impassable Terrain. Additionally, the outwards expanding ring will increase +1 Intensity per Faction Turn, adding an a +1CP movement penalty per Intensity level.

Red 1: Infernum Torpedo - Centred on the target tile, and it's 6 surrounding tiles, The Infernum deploys at Intensity 2, and spreads at 2 tiles and will gain +1 Intensity per Faction Turn. Once a tile reaches Intensity 3, it is destroyed and becomes Impassable Terrain.

Green 1: Life-Eater Virus - The Virus deploys on the target tile and it's 6 surrounding tiles at Intensity 2, as it consumes it's surroundings and expands throughout the tiles, it will gain +1 Intensity per Faction Turn. Once a tile reaches Intensity 3, it is destroyed and becomes Impassable Terrain. Additionally, the virus will expand outwards in a ring each month by 1 tile.

The enemy Factions will be alerted to the deployment of Torpedoes in this manner. They may choose to act or not, they may choose to aid one Faction or the other, or neither. Each Faction participating will receive 5 dice for each Starport they command. Each die represents a Fighter Aircraft. Each Faction will roll one die per Starport in a 1v1v1 style with the highest die "winning", and continuing to the next round. The Faction with the extra die will keep the highest result. If this Faction wins again, they will take 3 die into the next round, keeping the highest result, and so on. The Xenos will need to win this Skirmish to deploy the Torpedo. If another Faction wins the Skirmish, the Torpedo is destroyed in the dogfight.

The 3rd Method: Orbital deployment.

The Torpedoes may only be launched from The Bridge in the Rear Ships for an Orbital Deployment, additionally the vertical launch tubes will need to be repaired for 15CP for each torpedo Orbital Deployment. The Targeting for the torpedoes from an Orbital Deployment is locked by the Inviolate Rage, and cannot be overwritten or Hacked. The three Faction Starting Tiles, and Vatarus Hive Primus will be the target tiles.

Torpedoes fired in this manner launch in the month they are fired, and detonate on the next.

Blue 1: Cyclonic Torpedo - The target tile and the 6 surrounding tiles are destroyed and become Impassable Terrain. Any units deployed on these tiles will be lost. Additionally, the outwards expanding ring will increase 2 tiles and +1 Intensity per Faction Turn, adding an a +1CP movement penalty per Intensity level. Once a tile reaches Intensity 3, it is destroyed and becomes Impassable Terrain.

Red 1: Infernum Torpedo - The target tiles are destroyed, any units deployed on these tiles will be lost. The 6 surrounding tiles start at Intensity 2, and spread at 3 tiles and gain +1 Intensity per Faction Turn. Once a tile reaches Intensity 3, it is destroyed and becomes Impassable Terrain.

Green 1: Life-Eater Virus - The target tile and the 6 surrounding tiles are destroyed and become Impassable Terrain. Any units deployed on these tiles will be lost. Additionally, the outwards expanding ring will increase 2 tiles and +2 Intensity per Faction Turn. Once a tile reaches Intensity 3, it is destroyed and becomes Impassable Terrain.

Torpedoes launched in this manner may only be disabled from The Bridge.

With Majkhel's tour of the Xenos' Fortifications, Commanders TPS and The_Chaplain were forced to deploy at Hive Tercius, deep within the Factions territory. Marching all the way to the front line, The_Chaplain reinforced the Xenos position within the Prow of the Inviolate Rage.

TPS on the other hand decided to head out in search of The Bridge of the Inviolate Rage secured within the Rear-ships. Although the shields surrounding the Hive were at one time a barrier to progress, the amassed forces of TPS barreled through it with ease, permanently overloading this section. Sending out his scouts, TPS surveyed the Rear-ships resting in the shade of the Hive. Returning quickly, the scouts had dire news, although both the Bridge and Plasma Drives were located in the Rear-ships, almost the entirety of the Chaos Faction had secured the site.

As the Faction Commanders discussed their next moves, and how best to utilise the facilities at their disposal, slight at first, but slowly, ever growing, a vibration began subtly within the Inviolate Rage. It was then the Commanders' Forces began reporting in, the vibration was not limited to the Inviolate Rage, it seemed as the entire region was rumbling.....

....suddenly, all eyes were drawn to the horizon, as several massive explosions rumbled through the Faction’s Territories, massive chunks of the Dividing Ranges scattered throughout the region, plumes of smoke and dust billowing into the sky.

“…kzzzt…ion fail…kzzzt…, …kzzzt… repeat, mission …kzzzt…ure, they have awok…kzzzt…”.

The transmission was broadcast on every open comm-line, drowning out all other communications, the voice unmistakably Astartes.

“Marta…kzzzt… respond”.

“...kzzzt...mit Apothecary, resp…kzzzt… They built the …kzzzt… on top of the b…kzzzt…y tomb”.

Reports were coming in from all over the region, there appeared to be some kind of movement barely visible within the haze of the dust and smoke.

“I am Chapter Mas...kzzzt... Variel of the Heralds of Dev...kzzzt...tation, If you can …kzzzt… this transmission, ev…kzzzt…uate the planet. Get to the Sta…kzzzt…rts. This enemy wi...kzzzt...kzzzt..ow you no mercy, they cannot be rea...kzzzt... with, all that re...kzzzt...ns here is death”.

Despite the interference to the transmission, the message was clear to the Commanders, Vatarus was a Necron Tomb world, and the Dynasty had awoken, and they were mad.

“Martaine, initiate the se…kzzzt…kzzzt…struct, blow the pla…kzzzt…rives, it’s our only chance to …kzzzt… them out”.

As the dust and debris began to settle throughout the territories, where once there was only the Great Dividing Ranges, they were now broken by three bright and gleaming Necron Temple complexes, topped with royal purple. From amongst the dust, the golden and royal purple forces of the Pho'tekh Dynasty were already on the march. Unfortunately for the Commanders, the Necron's spead throughout the regions, equally focusing on the smaller fortifications and Vatarus Hive Secondus and the Inviolate Rage.

gallery_48988_16024_136560.png

The Pho’tekh Dynasty

In millennia past, the Pho’tekh ruled a vast region of space, their reputation was one of brutality and cruelty, their warriors renown for their hardiness and resilience. The dynasty’s uncaring nature would often see their warriors deployed en-masse, overwhelming their enemies with numbers, rather than tactical superiority. When the C’tan offered the Necron’tyr the choice of immortality, and even hardier bodies, how could they refuse?

Once the deceit was revealed, and the Necron’tyr waged war with the false gods, Pho’tekh committed troops to the war as fast as they could make them. The endless supply of warriors to the warfront was draining the Dynasty’s resources at an unsustainable rate, as they drew closer and closer to the point of no return, they chose to withdraw from the conflict entirely, much to the anger of the greater Dynasties.

They have lain dormant for millennia, deep beneath within the planets of the Voltronus system. As they slumbered, a recovery protocol was placed in effect, their numbers would be rebuilt while the Dynasty slept, and they would only awaken again once they had the numbers to rule amongst the stars once more.

A lone Space Marine strode into the Armoury, unfazed by the multitude a weaponry suddenly aimed his way. Raising both hands, " I am Chapter Master Variel of The Heralds of Devastation, and I seek parley with the Commanders here".

His gaze shifted to the Commanders as they appeared from the Exterminatus Decks.

"You are on my ship, and I'd rather see you gone, but we have much more pressing matters, wouldn't you agree", without waiting for a response, he continued, "I seek to parley, so that we may deal with the Necron threat. They are too many for any one Faction to deal with, we must eliminate them if either of us is to claim this world".

The Xenos Commanders listened, and glanced amongst themselves, Variel continued after a brief pause.

"I have been notified several of our Warheads have been compromised and are being prepared for deployment, I request the two Cyclonic Torpedoes be prepared and delivered by aerial deployment to the two Necron structures bordering the Xenos / Chaos lines, and the Chaos / Imperial lines. Then propose that the Imperium and Xenos launch a Combined Assault on the Necron structure between our lines. At the conclusion of this Assault, we are prepared to withdraw all Imperial Forces from your Territory".

Master Variel lowered his hands, and stood waiting for the Commanders response.

After a time it became clear the silence of the Xenos Commanders was as clear an answer as any other, Chapter Master Variel turned and left the Armoury.

Heading directly to the defacto Command centre of the Apothecarion, the heavy footfalls of the Chapter Master and his remaining Heralds of Devastation, drew the attention of the Imperial Commanders.

"Thank you brothers for answering our distress call, unfortunately the circumstances here are quite dire, as I'm sure you have discovered for yourselves. I have approached the Xenos scum within the Prow of my vessel, and parleyed for a truce, for within the Prow lay a cache of Exterminatus warheads. Properly prepared and delivered they have the potential to annihilate to Necron structures. The Xenos have refused us, and we are left with few options".

"Our first option is to take the Armoury and deploy the Warheads ourselves, this gives us a chance at two of Necron megastructures. Our second option is to launch a ground assault against the Megastructures, requiring the majority of our forces. We will need to abandon some of our smaller Fortifications. We should have the numbers to also deal with some of the Necron forces within our territory. Our third option is to abandon the planet to the Necrons, and take the fight to the Chaos and Xenos forces".

As the Factions decided on their courses of action, the Necron compounds continued to spew forth ranks upon ranks of Warriors. The warriors of Pho'Tekh were indiscrimatory in their actions, equally attacking the fortifications of all three factions, managing to conquer the Imperium's PDF Installation, and both the PDF Installation and Astartes Base within Chaos' Territory. Several smaller forces march on both the Prow and Rear-Ships of the Inviolate Rage, but were held at bay by both the Xenos and Chaos' forces.

Unanimously the Imperial Commanders agreed, taking the Prow and deploying the Cyclonic Warheads themselves was the correct course of action, they would then consolidate their forces and Assault the remaining Necron structure and raze it to the ground. The remaining warheads, however would be deactivated and removed from the ship, spread out and hidden within the Imperium's territory.

Watching the Imperial Commander depart, Warboss The_Chaplain broke the silence, " I sez we blow 'em all to hell. Set da boomz where dey iz and get outta here". Discussing amongst themselves, none of the Xenos Commanders offered an alternative plan, the planet was lost to the Necrons, and there was no further point to conquering the planet, at least they could deny the Imperium some resources.

The orders were given, and the Warheads were armed and primed, a token force left behind to ensure the task was complete. Those not remaining behind made their way to the Spaceport, intent on abandoning Vatarus to it's fate. Arriving to fing it occupied, Majkhel's reinforced army was no match for the might of the Xenos Commanders and was swiftly pushed back from the Starport.

Similarly, the Chaos Commanders had come to the same conclusion as the Xenos, they too would leave Vatarus to it's fate, but not before a final slap, or two, to the Imperium's face. Having gained access to the Bridge, and thoroughly scoured it's systems, they had disabled the auto-defenses and prepared a raid on the Apothecarion, intent on claiming as much of the Heralds of Devastation's gene-seed as the could. Meanwhile, Commander Givemead, guarded by his forces, set about overloading the Plasma Drives.

With their actions decided the Imperium began it's assault on the Prow, and into the Armoury, bring overwhelming force and expecting a massive engagement. However, upon entering the Armoury they discovered a small defensive force, guarding the accessway to the Exterminatus chamber. An obvious delaying tactic, but non the less effective. After a brief but intense firefight, the Imperial Commanders discovered the truth behind the tactic, the Xenos Commanders had activated all of the Warheads, leaving a very small window for the Imperium to act. Forced to improvise, the Imperium would deploy the six primed warheads by air, and began loading them into modified Storm Ravens.

Spurred into action by the departure of the Imperials from the Apothecarion, the Chaos Commanders leapt to action, launching their raid on the Apothecarion. Expecting an assault on the Apothecarion, the Imperium had left a substantial defensive force behind, however the Chaos troops outnumbered them almost two to one. In the ensuing firefight many of the gene-seeds protective cases were caught in the crossfire, rendering more than half of the Heralds of Devastation's reduced supply of gene-seed useless. Once the Imperium had withdrawn, the Chaos Commanders had managed to claim 255 vials, a significant haul. All haste must be made to reach the Starport, or Warp Gate and escape before the Drives reach critical mass.

As the Xenos Commanders forces drew near to the Spaceport, their rear-guards began reporting in, the Imperium had brought in aircraft, they were going to try and evacuate the Warheads.

"Dem gitz Iz try'n to ruin da fun, we'z not gunna let dat happin iz we boyz?" roared Warboss The_Chaplain, " To da planes ladz, we still gotz sum scrap'n to do".

Intent on seeing the world burn, the Xenos and Chaos Commanders committed to combating the Imperium's aircraft and their desperate attempt to make use of the Warheads.

The Necron horde was relentless, endlessly marching forth from the Megaliths, many Warriors moving to support the attacks on the Inviolate Rage, while others advanced on the Factions starting locations. The Necrons also managed to amass enough Warriors on the Astartes Forward Base in the Chaos Territory, destroying it completely leaving only impassable rubble in it's place.

Having carefully loaded the armed Warheads into the Stormravens, Chapter Master Variel gave each pilot a target, the two Cyclonic Warheads were each headed to two of the Necron Complexes. The two Infernum warheads were headed to both the Xenos and Chaos Starports, with a daring plan for the two Warheads containing the Life Eater Virus, the pilots would be attempting to fly them through the Chaos Portal deep within the Chaos Territory and send them to what ever was on the other side. Escorted by Stormhawks and Stormtalons, the Stormravens set out for their targets. Even as the death of the world drew near, Imperial reinforcements continued to arrive on the planet. Gaining the necessary numbers to Assault the third Necron Megastructure, the Imperial Commanders marshalled all of their forces and marched on the Necron Stronghold, determined to raze it to the ground.

With the scantest of rearguards left at their fortifications, the rest of the Imperial Faction prepared for the assault, the warhead's escort squadrons began reporting in, the Xenos and Chaos factions were engaging them with their own fighters. With the Imperium's forced committed to the Stronghold, there would be no support for the fighters. Chapter Master Variel gave the command, and the Imperium advanced on the Necron megastructure from two sides. It was a hard fought battle, with the Necron's Reanimation Protocols prolonging the engagement, but eventually the Imperium's numerical advantage won the day. With his force scouring through the rubble of the Megastructure, Chapter Master Variel activated his comm-link and commanded an update on the warheads and aerial engagement.

Watching the aircraft depart the Inviolate Rage, the Chapter Master's intentions were clear, two of the warheads were headed to the megastructures in the Chaos and Xenos territories, three were headed to the Chaos Faction's territory. Although they held a truce with the Chaos Faction, the Xenos Commanders felt no obligation to warn them of what was heading their way. Of immediate concern was the bomber and escort fighters heading directly to the Starport. With limited support the Xenos Forces couldn't defend against both fighter squadrons, their hands were tied, their fighters would need to engage the warhead directed at their current location. In a great trail of smoke, the Ork fighters took the battle to the Imperium, scoring a quick couple of wins, the Xenos took an early lead in the dogfight, the Imperium's concentration split between attacking the enemy fighters, and defending the warhead. With the dogfight raging overhead, the Xenos began evacuating in earnest.

With a wicked grin Commander Givemead stood back from the massive control panel. Forming an Aquila over his breastplate, he sneered "The Emperor Protects", and turned and left, errors already beginning to flash on the myriad on screens, and as he reached the Bulkhead, a ship-wide siren began to blare out. The end of the Inviolate Rage was at hand. Exiting the ship, Commander Givemead's attention was drawn to a trio of bombers and escort squadrons, heading directly into the Faction's territory and the Starport. Warned by Givemead the Chaos Commanders scrambled their fighters and chose an enemy squadron to focus on, then focused on securing their newly acquired genestock off-world. It however, became apparent one of the squadrons that the Chaos fighters hadn't engaged was targeting the Starport itself, whilst the others were targeting the Chaos Warpgate. The dogfight between the Chaos and Imperial fighters was a much closer affair, with each Factions going kill for kill.

The words were barely out of Chapter Master Variel's mouth when his enhanced senses detected a triplicate of intense explosions. Scanning the horizons, he saw that the Cyclonic Warheads directed at the remaining megastructures had completed their tasks. Gazing to the Xenos region, he was disappointed to see the multitudes of Xenos aircraft lifting into the sky, still evacuating the planet. Turning to the Chaos territory, a slight smile crossed his lips as he recognised the bloom of an Infernum detonation, the Chaos Starport would shortly be out of commission. Even as he watched, a forth detonation blazed the afternoon sky, the Chaos Commanders had successfully managed to shoot down one of the Life Eater warheads, typically this would have destroyed the warhead, unfortunaetly, the Xenos having already primed the warhead had made it too volatile.

There was no saving Vatarus, planets do not survive single Exterminatus events, let alone four.

With the destruction of the three Necron megastructures, they received no reinforcements, but the Warriors already deployed continued their war on the intruders of their world. The Pho'Tekh abandoned their assaults on the Inviolate Rage, and followed their enemies into their territories, and began concentrated assaults on the amassed Faction's forces at their Starports. With the Factions vacating the planet, the Necrons managed to Destroy the Chaos Faction Starport.

Standing within the observation dome of the Vengeance Unsated, a warship of the Guardians of the Covenant, Chapter Master Variel gazed back at Vatarus. The ships fleeing the planet were relentless, every Spaceport was spewing forth ships as fast as they could launch. It wasn't fast enough, 99% of Vatarus' population would perish. The majority of the Xenos forces had departed the system, the orks however were always looking for the next fight, were causing severe casualties amongst the evacuations despite the Imperium's best attempts. Thankfully, the Chaos Faction un-characteristically too had set course for the systems edge with haste.

"Such a shame. This was not what I expected to find here, I don't know what I expected, but not this", Chapter Master Variel spoke as he heard the subtle hum of the Master of the Arsenal's armour approach behind him.

"Aye, Brother, a shame indeed", responded Fariel, the Guardians of the Covenant Master of the Arsenal, "What will you do now?"

The Astartes were interrupted by a chime from Fariel's comm-link, nodding he responded, "Raise the the shields, divert power as much power as we can to the port side emitters".

"We should have warned them" Variel offered.

"It would not have saved them" countered Fariel.

Suddenly an explosion of the magnitude neither of the marines had personally witnessed spread across the surface of Vatarus, engulfing the entire primary continent. It was an extinction level event and would've finished Vatarus by itself.

Even at this distance a massive shockwave rocked the vessel. The smaller craft stood no chance, many outright exploding in spectacular fireballs, others survived the blast, only to fall from the sky, and uncontrollably plummet back to the planet, their systems wiped out by a massive electro-magnetic pulse.

Shaking with barely contolled rage, Chapter Master Variel turned to face Fariel, " The Chapter.....my Chapter must evolve. I face the Rubicon, then vengeance, we will hunt them, to the end of hell if necessary".

So, who won? Honestly I haven't talled the VP's yet, but I can tell you one thing.

The Imperium lost.

Edited by Grotsmasha

Wonderful  conclusion! Really enjoyed reading through and remembering the early days of the painting challenge.

Thanks so much for organizing this, and for all the work you put into making it happen Grostmasha! Never been a part of something like this before, and it was an awesome experience!

So, who won? Honestly I haven't talled the VP's yet, but I can tell you one thing.

The Imperium lost.

I need a picture of hulk saying "I see this as an absolute win" redrawn to be an ork for situations like this, I really do.

Thanks for taking the time to do this write-up Grotsmasha, and even more kudos for running such a long and intricate campaign! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

That got real tense at the end there, and very cinematic (in an Empire Strikes Back / Infinity War sort of way).

The Xenos plan kinda failed, as the Imperium got to the armoury before everything blew up, but also pretty much succeeded, as the planet blew up anyway. And we all escaped. That's a super-villain full house, I feel, so we can at least claim a moral (or immoral, possibly) victory, even if we didn't technically win :)

Thanks for wrapping it all up, Grot - it was a lot of fun.

Edited by Rogue

That got real tense at the end there, and very cinematic (in an Empire Strikes Back / Infinity War sort of way).

The Xenos plan kinda failed, as the Imperium got to the armoury before everything blew up, but also pretty much succeeded, as the planet blew up anyway. And we all escaped. That's a super-villain full house, I feel, so we can at least claim a moral (or immoral, possibly) victory, even if we didn't technically win :smile.:

Thanks for wrapping it all up, Grot - it was a lot of fun.

Before my inner eye, there's now the picture of a rickety ork plane piloted by a massive warboss (who's got a huge smile plastered over his face) and several genestealers/harlequins/gaunts hanging onto the plane, with the planet exploding in the background.

Thanks Grot for the writeup - I enjoyed this campain a lot!

This was absolutely epic. Love the write up and the outcome is appropriate, couldn’t ask for more.

Thanks very much Grotsmasha for everything, the planning and execution were brilliant.

Thanks also to everyone who took part, I got a lot of motivation from all the likes and messages about the models I painted. I hope everyone got as much out of this as I did. I have honestly never painted as much in a year as I did in 2020. It was such a bizarre year but the hobby challenge made it way better than it might have been otherwise.

I may have to add this to my sig:

“With a wicked grin Commander Givemead stood back from the massive control panel. Forming an Aquila over his breastplate, he sneered "The Emperor Protects", and turned and left, errors already beginning to flash on the myriad on screens, and as he reached the Bulkhead, a ship-wide siren began to blare out. The end of the Inviolate Rage was at hand.”

WOW!! Thanks everyone but special thanks goes to Grotsmasha for putting on this awesome event! Sorry I fell of the earth but work is insane and no end in sight. I'd love to join the 2021 event, maybe as the year nears the end who knows. Thanks again for everyone that voted and congratulated me, was some seriously awesome models to choose from!