Psychic Awakening: What do you want to see?

MasterDeath

I come to you with leaks! http://https://imgur.com/a/2uXgt5L

Be warned, it seems all we are getting is Exalted GD stuff. It's actually great stuff (like so good I'll be probably just rolling for two random traits every time on my KoS), but it does literally nothing to help the rest of the army unfortunately. Also some Stratagems for other units, but nothing world shaking.

D2PLnjg.jpg

KvVW756.jpg

i0nCBs2.jpg

GhGGrfh.jpg

3N7JSuE.jpg

bOFBxwd.jpg

PG4XlS5.jpg

LC8wED8.jpg

dNaz0iZ.jpg

04pQ4nD.jpg

I suppose that's to be expected, but these look decent. Maybe my low rolling can help for once, 1 and 2 look nice for Slaanesh Exalted Keepers! A 4++ so much so I'd be tempted to pick it even...

Nice to have some more Stratagems as individual gods are short. They seem nice enough would have been great to get something fancy for a change but improvements will do.

There's a lot of useful things there for my Khorne boys. Especially the 3 CP punch back strat and the mortal wounds on charges. Those are both extremely good cards to play at the right moment. Bloodthirsters got a good shot of turbo too. So much that I'll probably always roll for my traits, as there are no bad answers.

Wouldn't say that Daemons are fixed, but these are great options across the board, and 9th has the potential to give us even more of a leg up. Very exciting.

The new rules look decent. I don’t think there’s anything here pushing mono daemons into the top tier, but it looks playable.

I know blood crushers haven’t been considered a good unit in 8th, but I think that strat brings some nice play. Mainly the ability to double charge. It may be more valuable in a soup where you can weaken a unit with shooting first. But if you can get in a wipe that initial unit you’ could now be right in the guts.

If 9th truly brings us ways to get into CC I think khornes looking good.

Yep, totally keen on these for Khorne. The best thing is that this strat is done "before the battle", which means you can do it immediately before deployment, after you already know your opponent and mission at an event. If you have a specific ability in mind for that battle, you can choose.

I could see myself rolling for my Bloodthirster's abilities nearly every time, unless I'm using it specifically along with a Bloodletter Bomb, in which case I'd probably pick the +2" charge.

Actually...I don't see anything that prevents you from playing the strat multiple times on the same GD. I suspect this will be FAQed pretty quickly, but that gives us a few weeks of fun...

Someone explain the Horrors stratagem to me because I don't see where I'd use it.

You must have 10 pinks, otherwise its only 1 mortal wound for Smite.

So you spend 1 CP, Smite roll counts as being 9, and its d3 wounds at best.

Someone explain the Horrors stratagem to me because I don't see where I'd use it.

Well yeah it just adds some reliability. It can be nice just to make it harder for the enemy to deny since the probability or folling a 9 with 2d6 is rather low (the whole problem of charging out of reserves) but it's also nice after you already used a few smites with your characters or other horror units.

Edited by Panzer

Ok, so I've had some time to ruminate on this, and I'm still quite excited by the Exalted GD rules. A Bloodthirster with +2" to charge suddenly becomes a viable addition to a Bloodletter Bomb.

Edit: there are some Matched Play rules I wasn't taking into account. That throws a spanner into the works a little, but it's still workable.

My new plan is to run a pair of Exalted Bloodthirsters at 2000pts. The first has the Blood-Drinker Talisman and chooses the +2" charge ability. The second rolls the Exalted abilities, and depending on the results, may also be given the Armour of Scorn as a relic (since that happens before the battle as well) to try and keep it alive as long as possible.

The deep striking Bloodthirster could be used to eat overwatch, since it has a reasonable chance to regain the wounds it loses. The walking Bloodthirster will have at least the Armour of Scorn to keep it alive, or possibly a defensive Exalted ability or two.

There is still the current RAW ability to play the Exalted strat twice on the same Bloodthirster, so I could choose the Battle-lust ability and one of the defensive ones to go with it. But I still expect that to be FAQed.

My original plan, that will still work in Narrative games (as rare as those are in my group now) but not in Matched:

Roll for the abilities randomly on the first; if I get the +2" ability on that, then I'll roll randomly for the second one. If I don't get the +2" ability, then I'll simply choose it on the second. Then, during deployment, choose that Bloodthirster to set up in the Warp. Chances are, the other Bloodthirster will have some ability (or combination of abilities) that helps to protect it, and it will be run with some allied CSM monsters (Disco Lord, Blood Slaughterer) that will help with target saturation.

The first Bloodthirster will be given the Blood-Drinker Talisman. If it's the one in the Warp, then it can be used to eat some overwatch; it'll likely regain a lost wound or two to help keep it in the top bracket. If it walks, then it'll hopefully be able to soak up a little damage before getting some wounds back in combat.

If the second Bloodthirster is the one in the Warp, then I probably won't bother spending a CP to give it a relic; maybe the Crimson Crown if I feel generous. However, if it has to walk then I'll probably give it the Armour of Scorn to help soak up damage from shooting.

Another thought is to run a single Bloodthirster, but if I don't roll the +2" ability then simply play the strat again and choose the ability specifically. However, while this is currently allowed (unless we're missing something from the leaks), I expect it to be FAQed out.

Edited by Cheex

You can use it on a Changecaster, as it is has the keywords.

Unfortunately not true. The Changecaster has the HORROR keyword while Horrors and the Stratagem use the HORRORS keyword.

Edited by Panzer

Well usually horrors never smite. Need a 5+ On 1 dice and since the threshold increase anytime you cast so you wouldnt waste your smite on them, better have other caster get their smite off.

So now you spend 1 CP and you get that smite off too. And its a 9 so you can do it at then end of psychic phase after at least 4 other psyker have used their smite.

1 CP for 1d3 MW. Not amazing. Can be useful sometime..

Unfortunately not true. The Changecaster has the HORROR keyword while Horrors and the Stratagem use the HORRORS keyword.

Huh. I guess Loci don't work either. And you could never buy additional relics. Or ever use the Heroic Intervention rule. Or use any rule that refers to keyword DAEMONS.

I mean, you are the best kind of correct, but come on.

The same GD can not have multiples of a power. If you roll duplicates you have to roll again. Pretty sure we'll lose the ability to use it more than once on the same daemon too, once the FAQ comes out. Doesn't seem like the rule was intended to stack.

The same GD can not have multiples of a power. If you roll duplicates you have to roll again. Pretty sure we'll lose the ability to use it more than once on the same daemon too, once the FAQ comes out. Doesn't seem like the rule was intended to stack.

You reroll when you roll a double, not when you roll an ability you already have, nor is the word "duplicate" actually used. So you can, by all means use cp untill you roll +1 to DR 2 times (you pick the 1st time and then need just 2 more roll of a 2 to get it.

Of course I'm still 99% sure it will get faq'ed.

Agreed, I expect that's not intended and if a limit is not in the book already an FAQ would surely be shortly to follow to prevent it. Otherwise you'd happily spend a couple of CPs for good odds of getting the ones you want! It's not like Daemons have much else to spend CPs on...

Deepstrike. So much deepstrike. As a khorne player I burn at minimum 6 CP just on that before a match even begins. Another 3+ to fight again or use the new punch back strat. It seems Khorne will still be pretty CP starved, but with any luck it'll be much better now that I don't have to stretch my limited troupes so much.

Who knows. With 9th coming the cost of deepstrike might go way down, the effectiveness might go up, or the need to deepstrike everything might go away. I'm stoked to see how it stacks with these new rules to open up the battlefield. 

I've already determined I'll be running my 12 man bloodcrusher squad more often to take advantage of mass mortal wounds. Being able to hit the battlefield with 12 cavalry that charge 3d6+1, impact for an average of 12 mortal wounds, then get to charge again is exciting as hell. It makes me wonder if the banner of blood is applied to both charges, or only the first. Imagine being able to deploy 9 away from an enemy in the mid field, charge into them or around them, deliver enough impact hits to kill, then charge another 12 inches to your real target. That's 21 inches of movement before pile in or consolidation.