Haakon/Host Raptorial

Snazzy

Has anyone run Haakon Worldclaimer yet?  He doesn't exactly jump off the page.  But, i wonder if there is something to him, like combining Ld penalties with Raptors (Icon of Despair).  He isn't great at fighting, his aura is limited to frankly underwhelming Raptors.  He also has a fixed WLT, preventing him from taking the Host Raptorial WLT.

At the same time, i can't help but think there is something to this character.  Looking for ideas and suggestions.

In reviewing Haarken's datasheet, all of his rules are not teamstamped.  He could be the 2nd HQ in your Battalion and work with a Night Lords Host Raptorial.  -4 Ld to start.

In reviewing Haarken's datasheet, all of his rules are not teamstamped.  He could be the 2nd HQ in your Battalion and work with a Night Lords Host Raptorial.  -4 Ld to start.

Your Night Lords wouldn't get their Legion trait. He's Black Legion. All models must have the same legion in a detachment to get the Legion bonus. That's his entire problem. If he was <Legion>, he'd actually be pretty good for Night Lords or World Eaters.

Your Night Lords wouldn't get their Legion trait. He's Black Legion. All models must have the same legion in a detachment to get the Legion bonus. That's his entire problem. If he was <Legion>, he'd actually be pretty good for Night Lords or World Eaters.

I didn't explain it well enough.  Haarken would be the 2nd HQ in the BL Battalion, maybe even the army Warlord.  His abilities would benefit the Night Lords who are part of a different detatchment.  He would, conversely, not benefit from a Night Lords Host Raptorial.

Worth pointing out is how little being BL actually helps Haarken.  

The more i think about it, Haarken's entire calling is somewhat suspect.  Morale only effects multi model units.  Right now the competitive scene doesn't favor those, and the meta is very vehicle centric.  Haarken is not impressive as a fighter, either.  There's no salvaging him as a character killer, Smash Captain or Slash Captain.  Not until they FAQ Helspear to work as a melee weapon, too.  

Either Haarkon wasn't meant to be Black Legion, or he is part of a Studio vision of "cheap" BL.

He's cheap for what he is, bare bones raptors are cheaper than Warp Talons. So a NL Host Raptorial is better, but a BL one is cheaper

The worst part of Haarken is that in order for him to have his WLT, which goes well with the rest of his abilities, he has to be the Warlord.  He is not a Chaos Lord.  If he is the Warlord you cannot use Council of Traitors.  The only salvageable scenario i see with Haarken as Warlord is a Field Commander in a Host Raptorial.

Field commander only lets you take the detachment trait, Haarkon has a fixed trait.

Haarkon's Lord of Raptors ability does not depend on him being Warlord. Combo him with a Chaos lord and pop the Host strat, you have two rerolling bubbles- of you took raptors

Edited by BrainFireBob

Field commander only lets you take the detachment trait, Haarkon has a fixed trait.

Haarkon's Lord of Raptors ability does not depend on him being Warlord. Combo him with a Chaos lord and pop the Host strat, you have two rerolling bubbles- of you took raptors

Right, i'm saying if you want Haarken's WLT, Lord of Terror you have to designate him as the army Warlord.  Field Commander would be used on a Chaos Lord that is part of the Host Raptorial.

Abaddon's reroll aura is BL specific.  His auto pass morale aura is Heretic Astartes.

Haarken seems more like Abaddon's Toadie, destined to be the non Warlord beside non-BL Raptors.  But, i will admit, he seems like a good recipient of a Boon of Chaos.

• 4 weeks later...

So, i did take Haarken out for a spin in two games against Ultramarines and Tau.  I ended up going half way and making Haarken the Warlord in order to retain his WLT, but not using a Host Raptorial.  He led 1 Battalion, while a second was led by a Chaos Lord using Field Commander in a Bringers of Despair Battalion.

I had one 10 strong Raptor unit with Icon of Despair.

It... went ok.  I didn't have a problem getting the charges, and i used the Raptors to try and tie up as many enemies as possible to apply their Ld penalty.  My conclusion is that there are few good candidates for morale warfare.  The Ultras highlighted a problem in that most Primaris players are not taking squads larger than 5, meaning that you have to kill most of the squad just to be in a position to make the survivors flee.  This is complicated by ATSKNF.  The Tau were easier to make flee, but the player was using mostly Firewarriors and Crisis suits.  I don't think that is typical, either.  My incomplete knowledge of all of the faction of 40k leaves me believing that anyone who would be a candidate for morale collapse has a means of mitigating it.  The ideal candidate would be models that are hard-ish to kill, without morale tricks.

The up side is that building for Haarken to do his thing is not points intensive.  Haarken and the 10 Raptors came in under 300 points.

• 2 weeks later...