Index Xenos: Da Kamp [IG 2020]

Lexington

"Oi, wot you doin' over there, Graglud? Wot... Graglud, we'z told you, da teef are for da boss, right? Fingz need to be counted propa, you gotta count the pilez already there, you can't go makin' your own pile to count. Tell you wot, let's take those teef, and I gotz a nice big vault of teef wot need counting, so how 'bouts we put those teef in there? You like that, Graglud? A 'ole vault of teef to count, lotz and lotz of 'em? Come on, vault's this way. We'll even 'ave a friend for you there, to make sure you don't go makin' any new pilez again, and count what da boss needs counting."

Admittedly, the way I see Oddboyz being dealt with in Ork society is a mix of pity and oddly protective. Sure, Oddboyz don't fight, and ain't 'ard like the Boyz, but they're just doing what they're meant to, like how a Mek's gotta tinker, and a Dok's gotta poke and prod. Unless a Sumboy's done something drastically wrong, like actually run off with the teef, I just imagine the Ork reaction to be to feel sorry for the poor sod, and gently push him back to where he's meant to be. 

Been busy with a couple other things this past week, but I'll hopefully be able to do a bit of editing on the original piece in the next couple of days. Plan to re-work this particular bit and a few others that need a polish after the initial rush to complete the article in time for the challenge. Should be a few more characters and Kompanies added as well!

"Oi, wot you doin' over there, Graglud? Wot... Graglud, we'z told you, da teef are for da boss, right? Fingz need to be counted propa, you gotta count the pilez already there, you can't go makin' your own pile to count. Tell you wot, let's take those teef, and I gotz a nice big vault of teef wot need counting, so how 'bouts we put those teef in there? You like that, Graglud? A 'ole vault of teef to count, lotz and lotz of 'em? Come on, vault's this way. We'll even 'ave a friend for you there, to make sure you don't go makin' any new pilez again, and count what da boss needs counting."

Perfect. :laugh.:

Admittedly, the way I see Oddboyz being dealt with in Ork society is a mix of pity and oddly protective. Sure, Oddboyz don't fight, and ain't 'ard like the Boyz, but they're just doing what they're meant to, like how a Mek's gotta tinker, and a Dok's gotta poke and prod. Unless a Sumboy's done something drastically wrong, like actually run off with the teef, I just imagine the Ork reaction to be to feel sorry for the poor sod, and gently push him back to where he's meant to be.

Very much in agreement, here. I actually see this attitude being reinforced quite a bit in Da Kamp, as those Sumboyz are fairly key to keeping the entire organization going.

Glad to have your beady green eyes on this, Lord C!

This is exquisite. I absolutely love it, probably one of the most unique Ork army concepts ever.

Thanks! The whole concept's actually something of a mirror of my Ork army's real-world evolution from a tiny Evil Sunz force back in early 3rd Edition to the kind of frighteningly unwieldy mish-mash of different bits and bobs that were bought, traded for or gifted by friends who were getting out of the hobby. I'd already established Zagdakka's distaste for Waaagh!s in some background written for my old 40K group's long-running collective fiction effort, so something needed to explain it...

Thinking about it a bit more, what if part of the reason that Zagdakka is so supportive of the Oddboyz under his banner, is that deep down, occasionally when he's at da dropz, he wonders if him not really wanting to be a Warboss makes him an Oddboy too? Of course, then he remembers that thinking is for scrawny gitz, kicks a grot, and goes back to running the most successful (possibly only) mercenary camp that the Orks have ever seen.