Recourse to derailing threads

Is there any actions available to fraters when another frater derails a thread constantly spamming negative posts in a thread? This type of behavior is non constructive and does not help build a helpful community here. I can post a link or send a PM regarding the thread that currently comes to mind. Sure we all have a beef time to time but spamming the same negativity over and over kills any healthy discussion.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I know what BBF is referring to. I have to admit that on more than one occasion there have been topics where a hateful attitude is taken just because a person posted not what they actually posted about. Bullying, even if the person targeted shrugs it off really gets me worked up. I've had to Block one person in particular because every post was venomous. Recently blocked another for different reasons but same attitude. I loves B&C when I first joined in 03' but left because the board was filled with such people. I've been much happier upon my return. I admit some of the hate was stron enough a couple months ago from a small but very vocal group that I almost left again. I took a couple days off and things died down but it would be nice if Mods were a tad more active coaching members who have nothing but negative psot to make toward the GW, the current game, and those of us enjoying it.

I'm pretty sure I know what BBF is referring to. I have to admit that on more than one occasion there have been topics where a hateful attitude is taken just because a person posted not what they actually posted about. Bullying, even if the person targeted shrugs it off really gets me worked up. I've had to Block one person in particular because every post was venomous. Recently blocked another for different reasons but same attitude. I loves B&C when I first joined in 03' but left because the board was filled with such people. I've been much happier upon my return. I admit some of the hate was stron enough a couple months ago from a small but very vocal group that I almost left again. I took a couple days off and things died down but it would be nice if Mods were a tad more active coaching members who have nothing but negative psot to make toward the GW, the current game, and those of us enjoying it.

Help us improve by reporting thread/replies you feel are a tad too much. :tu:

Edited by Chaplain Lucifer

Help us improve by reporting thread/replies you feel are a tad too much. :thumbsup:

This. 

The forum is vast and even though we are many mods and admins we cannot be everywhere all the time. The report function is a good way to bring something to our attention, and we always go through them. Some posts when reported by several frater, can show us that something is going on and we can then act a bit faster or with bigger determination for instance. 

If you started cracking down on "shilling" without much thought put into it you'd probably wind up banning half the forum. Say goodbye to anyone that's sharing any sort of news with an ounce of positivity, or has challenged moronic assertions by people that don't have a clear understanding of how a business or the miniatures industry works.

There's other, far more toxic behaviour that really requires reporting - "muh hurr dern't lehrk thesrs" posts that don't actually offer an explanation as to why, constant meme'ry about "hurr durr interns", the rather blatant anti-faction/system/author x, y or z lines that some people take and so on.

Cracking down is a strong word. I trust the mods to do the correct decision if a comment adds nothing to the discussion.

And I agree with you.

For example when I posted my rumours about necrons and 9th edition, if im not wrong, you and black blow fry where 2 of those derailing the thread and calling bull:cuss on my rumours.

I agree that kind of behaviour requires reporting, but shills with a vested interest are around here aswell, and their behaviour is not less toxic just because of the fake optimism.

For example when I posted my rumours about necrons and 9th edition, if im not wrong, you and black blow fry where 2 of those derailing the thread and calling bull:cuss on my rumours.

I've raised my suspicions over the legitimacy of text-based rumours - and suggested banning them on two, if not three seperate occasions now. I've thrown my own nonsense out there in the past to further prove that point. It wasn't directed at you in particular, but the whole charade. I'm sorry if you felt like it was a personal attack.

As far as the shills go, I'll state what I've stated elsewhere - blind trust in the moderation/administration "to do the right thing" is a risky approach. Maintaining a level of reasonable doubt, and being prepared to challenge and discuss how situations could have been handled better (ideally through DMs and not by fragging yourself in spectacular fashion as another user has done recently) is key to maintaining a healthy relationship between the staff and the users at the end of the day.

Edited by Joe

Describing people that are for something as "shills" is unfair. There may be times when someone is a true shill, but there are also people that sincerely support whatever it is that they're supporting.

This is the internet. Our membership is global. We're not all going to agree on things. We're not all going to like each other.

The site and its rules aren't here to force everyone into the same opinion or mode of thinking. The site is here to discuss the hobby, which often means having different views on things. The rules are here to keep us focused on the site's purpose and to behave towards each other in a civil manner, even when we disagree on things.

If you don't like something that someone has said, and, by extension, if you don't like someone, you have a number of recourses within the forum rules. The first is to take the high road. Another option is to respond in a reasonable, rational, and constructive manner. If you simply can't find the personal discipline to not counterattack someone who's views you disagree with, use the IGNORE function so that you don't have to see their posts (you'll still see them if they're quoted in other peoples' replies, however). If you feel that someone has violated the forum rules, use the REPORT function.

We're not here to silence people just because we disagree with them - as long as a topic is relevant to this forum's purpose and as long as members are behaving appropriately towards one another and following the forum rules (e.g., remaining on topic), no action needs to be taken.

And no, you shouldn't blindly assume that the admins and mods will always see things or take care of them. We're not universally present and we're all human - we make mistakes, too. If you think we've missed something, either REPORT it or contact us via PM. Similarly, if you disagree with an action we've taken, REPORT it or contact us via PM. We have changed our actions in the past when they were clearly wrong, and we'll doubtless do so again in the future.