Black Legion for 9th inquiries from yours truly

Hey guys and gals,

Been a while...

I’m all reved up for 9th edition, got my box ordered and paid for. But I’m also staring at the beginnings of a most glorious Black Legion army. These new (ish) kits are beautiful and are the tilt for me deciding to commit to play the army.

Now I also have to say that I played a total of 11 games in 8th edition and all with my wolves. I’m so rusty Nurgle himself would smile. With my wolves I have a play style and really only a couple builds I run *that will kick ass in 9th. But shhhhhh, don’t tell anyone*. With the black legion army I have an open slate as far as model options since it’s new. I have already acquired Yabba-Dabba-Abbadon, Chaos Sorcerer, 2 boxes of the new troops kits and the new Oh so Fabulous Bill. All these models are amazing if I didn’t already mention that. Oh, no. I did. So I’m at a great core once I add another marine pack. I want this army to differ from the very aggressive and fast wolves list and I’m liking the feel and thematics of Abaddon surrounded by marines. So I got that covered.

I’d love any suggestions as to what kind of units/strategies I should move on too next. I like the disco lord / engine concept/idea/tactic as well as the TDA, oblits, havocs and the Heldrake (the model speaks to me. In my nightmares). What should the next addition be to help me get an all around flexible force onto the table?? I don’t have regular opponents I play right now, but I know the local meta has Orks, Primaris and Tau played frequently. Oh, and BA.

I’ll add additional ideas, questions and pictures once I get some models past their current grey color.

End of Line

At the risk of sounding incredibly unhelpful, a lot of answers are going to be heavily contingent on what the updated point costs look like, which we should be receiving in the next 2 weeks (whenever the NDA on CA is lifted). But daemon engines are looking nasty - this may be the edition that finally makes the Forgefiend good.

At the risk of sounding incredibly unhelpful, a lot of answers are going to be heavily contingent on what the updated point costs look like, which we should be receiving in the next 2 weeks (whenever the NDA on CA is lifted). But daemon engines are looking nasty - this may be the edition that finally makes the Forgefiend good.

It is helpful. I was feeling like maybe I jumped the gun on planning for a changing edition and a new army. Im thinking The short wait is actually a good thing as there are models left to build and then paint. So thank you for the response!!

When I started playing 40k in 5th ed I narrowed my choices to Space Wolves and Chaos Space Marines and the monster of a man on the cover of the codex. I ended up with the space pups, obviously. I’ve dabbled in other armies over the years, but I always felt like the models in the CSM range paled in comparison to those of the SW range. At that time. When 8th hit with the first wave of chaos stuff I was piqued but not fully interested in collecting. But it was the remodeling of Abaddon and many of the other new kits that solidified my decision. The small amount of Black Legion I built as a kill team, as the low model count and smaller shorter game’s appeals to me much more these days. As 9th is looking very flexible in regards to size points and foc and hopefully allows me to field the low amount of models I currently posses...

End of Line

The disco lord went up a ton.... too much to take imo. But old staples may come back. 

Black Legion are really good at hitting. The strats, Abe, etc. They hit often. Stuff like Vindicators, Defilers got Blast rules. And they ,make for great character protection too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Defilers became really good options with the 9th ed rules, and very fluffy for a BL force as well since that's where they started. :smile.:

Seems to be the consensus, but, boys, this model is so ugly....

I know, it saddens me greatly...I'm trying to think of a good conversion...

Yes, the base Defiler model is a wee bit homely. But I've used a Defiler in most of my Chaos armies since the 2018 Chapter Approved points drop and I've loved him. He's so killy and Chaotic. If he lives he can inflict intense pain and if he's died it means many of your other assault units will probably reach the enemy on Turn 2. And now he'll be able to shoot in combat and move and shoot without a BS drop.

I experimented with various conversions for my Deffy....

Troll-Deffy

gallery_88062_14499_238059.jpg

Nurgle Palanquin-Deffy

gallery_88062_14499_70270.jpg

Predator-Deffy

gallery_88062_14499_115108.jpg

Dragon-Skull Deffy

gallery_88062_14499_137445.jpg

I eventually went with a Helbrute-Deffy

gallery_88062_14499_90477.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_257155.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_107584.jpg

Who finally got painted this spring thanks to the Coronavirus quarantine

gallery_88062_14499_54611.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_99957.jpg

I encourage ya'all to build your own vision of Deffy! On the internet there are oodles of conversion ideas.