Suggestion for sub forum

I’ve noticed a growing trend for posts that are pretty much openly anti Primaris. It’s all over the forums and hard not to notice and often quite annoying. Could there be a dedicated sub forum to discuss things fraters don’t like about the game and keep it there ? I think this would be quite healthy for the board and could be a win-win scenario.

MISSION STATEMENT

The Bolter & Chainsword exists to help people better enjoy and understand the Warhammer 40,000 hobby and games set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe through constructive discussion.

How would a forum dedicated to nothing more than complaining support the mission of the B&C?

How does the current forum structure not support compartmentalizing constructive discussion? For example, how does the Amicus Aedes forum not support discussion of general rules issues? How does the Blood Angels forum not support discussion of rules or background issues specific to the Blood Angels? Et cetera.

Why isn't discussion about Primaris Space Marines taking place in the Space Marines forum?

In regards to a dedicated sub forum if it was phrased as constructive criticism I could see having lots of potential. The thing is like I said there’s a lot of open anti Primaris sentiment and sadly it seems to be growing. I obviously have no power over where this type of discussion is posted. Some of it takes place in the SM forum but not all.

While I don't see the creation of a sub-forum as an adequate or productive solution to the issue at hand, I will say that since day 1 there has been a constant stream of posts - usually made by a specific selection of individuals - that need to subtly or overtly inject their distaste for anything and everything primaris wherever possible. There's also been a selection of individuals that can't skip a chance to mention of how firstborn are dying out and how deluded people are for not buying into the doom and gloom - recent NR threads come to mind. None of it is really all that productive or conducive to the mission statement - if anything, its blatant baitposting - and yet nothing has been done about it for several years. Only when the discussion completely spirals out into mudslinging. Perhaps handing out more warnings or being stricter about them would be more productive than a sub-forum.

Not everyone has to like everything, sure, but going off about how terrible lore XYZ or how godawful the primaris line supposedly is each time they crop up is just asinine.

There has been baiting on both sides of this issue since I joined this forum, and I don't see that changing any time soon. However, I also don't feel that tighter moderation control is the way to go either, as a lot of the recent mod moves I've seen have been very sloppy and heavy handed. Differing opinions are differing opinions. Let it ride. I've had a hand in these discussions myself, and as long as we keep from getting personal with our discussion it should be fine. It is when that personal line gets blurred that people start getting their feelings hurt. 

Something to keep in mind.

Report, report, report!

If you feel something crosses the line, report the post. If someone posts in the same thread, the same rant for the 2nd or third or 10th time, report the post.

The more data there is the better the mod team can handle the situation.

Report, report, report!

If you feel something crosses the line, report the post. If someone posts in the same thread, the same rant for the 2nd or third or 10th time, report the post.

The more data there is the better the mod team can handle the situation.

Exactly. You see something you don’t think belongs on the B&C: Report.

You see something that’s non constructive: Report.

See something argumentative: Report.

....report. Reports help everyone in the long run. Don’t be “that guy” who runs off topic to try & fix it yourself. Report it and let us sort it out. :)

A sub-forum for negativity/things we don’t like isn’t what the B&C is about at the end of the day. We should all celebrate the hobby in a positive & constructive way after all. Negativity breeds nothing except more negativity after all.

Just be excellent to each other. ;)

BCC

In regards to a dedicated sub forum if it was phrased as constructive criticism I could see having lots of potential. The thing is like I said there’s a lot of open anti Primaris sentiment and sadly it seems to be growing. I obviously have no power over where this type of discussion is posted. Some of it takes place in the SM forum but not all.

You haven't answered any of my questions. Constructive criticism is already part and parcel of how members should be participating at the site, regardless of the forum/subject. Creating the forum that you propose doesn't appear to enhance that in any way. The forum you've proposed doesn't appear to solve any problems. Discussions will arise where they arise (hopefully in the appropriate forum, otherwise the mods/admins will move them into the correct forum) and some of those will include negative [hopefully constructive] criticism of issues.

The forum you've proposed neither adds anything of value nor fills any gaps in our current structure. All it does is create a single place where there will be nothing but complaining, and pretty much all of the complaints that would appear therein would also appear in other (sub-)forums, naturally arising as part of normal discussion.

It's not as though seeing differing opinions hurts anyone. Personally, I think that the B&C isn't an echo chamber is a good thing. Yes, it gets annoying when people just keep repeating the same things over and over, but that isn't unique to not liking Primaris. I don't think this would improve anything.

What Brother Tyler posted earlier is what guides the B&C, and as long as people post constructively there is no problem, if they don't the posts will be removed at least anyway. I don't see how having a "whine-subforum" will help with our mission statement in any way.

Use the report function to highlight troublesome posts to the mod-team. They're running around like pokemon trainers trying to catch them all but remember that they are regular frater too and time is limited. Help them help you!

If you see that it's mostly the same person posting over and over, you always have the option to put him/her on ignore...

...unless it's a mod... ;)