Iron on the inside Iron on the outside also

Arkaniss

Thanks a lot guys - turns out switching over was a great idea. Started the Predator yesterday morning and finished it last night! All done in one day so pretty pleased with that :biggrin.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_1255084.jpgmed_gallery_27469_16649_939374.jpg

Here are both Predators side by side to prove I did in fact paint a new one :tongue.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_464147.jpg

I even went back to the mkIV's and I'm happier with the hazard stripes now. They're not perfect but I have to keep telling myself to stop meddling as this is a speed painting army :sweat: They are certainly table top standard so I shall move on (emotionally and physically) and continue painting the rest of them :wink:

Putting models together is always more than the sum, excellent and speedy work :thumbsup: The weathering bits on the edges work well, I think it'll be well worth returning to embellish once you have completed more - it's one of the advantages of doing an army in stages where you focus on getting them to a decent table top standard for gaming :smile.: Adding transfers would also be a good step especially on larger models like the Predators, all the more so as they are best done in bulk.

After finishing the Predator I didn't go back to the mkIV's... instead I started on some Cataphractii! I thought since the mkIV's are nearly there I can get 5 more models going then finish the last bits all together :biggrin.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_101687.jpg

Looking forward to getting these painted I think they already look cool! FW Shoulder Pads certainly help :thumbsup:

I don't have any IW transfers yet but I'm definitely planning on doing them one day. They'll help make the models pop for sure. I usually don't bother with transfers (too many bad memories from long ago :sweat: ) but I've been reliably told there are ways of making them easier. Some solution or other I forget the name of. I will look into it once I'm ready and have the transfers :happy.:

I like Cataphractii a lot. They're very fitting for IW and I have enjoyed painting them! Just a bit more to go now with the bases :biggrin.: I believe I may have a box of them somewhere, I'll have to root around and see if I can find them!

med_gallery_27469_16649_898038.jpg

Success! All ready for the game tomorrow :thumbsup: The snow will fade and need painting (rubbish!) but I can do that another time.

med_gallery_27469_16649_1218584.jpg

The whole gang together!

med_gallery_27469_16649_847583.jpg

Cataphractii looking good! Only thing I am pondering on is all the red. Not sure if it's too much. Will sit on it for now and see how I feel later.

med_gallery_27469_16649_566966.jpg

The mkIV's make their return to the thread! It's been a while since they appeared. This gives me three squads of Marines so I can field lists without Cultists now :smile.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_1490175.jpg

Lastly the Predator from a different angle. Hoping this one fairs better than it's brother for the first game (blew up turn 1...)

Next I'll look to see if I do have a box of Cataphractii to assemble. I can work on them and by the time it comes to painting them I should have come to a decision about the red.

Thanks everyone! Yes after a while staring at them it's grown on me, and with the positive feedback too I'm keeping the red on the Cataphractii :thumbsup:

Here is the 1500pt army shot and coincidentally also all the painted models of my IW:

med_gallery_27469_16649_673685.jpg

I've kindly been offered a mkIII helmet so I can replace the bare head on the Warpsmith too which is excellent.

Fielding more marines as well is great as it means you’re no longer paying the “cultist tax” just to play either!

Indeed this is my aim! I'm already tinkering with a 2000pt list and the poor cultists aren't making the cut :tongue.:

As for the game I forgot to take any pictures but here's a brief run down. It was a very casual game against a Khorne player who hadn't played much and who's army was old so it wasn't a competitive game at all. Anyway, the afore mentioned Cultists died straight away as I used them as pickets... which afterwards I realised just gave my opponent extra movement as they charged at them :sweat: Ah well, it brought them closer into rapid fire range :tongue.:

Alas the Contemptor continued it's bad luck and died Turn 1 to Land Raider* without being able to do anything. It was avenged by the new Predator which thanks to a few Command Points sunk into Strategems did 21 Wounds to the Land Raider in one go! Nice.

The Cataphractii teleported in and did good work. I love combi-bolters the amount of shots they fire is amazing. Also Lightning Claws and Power Fists are great as always. They shot up some Beserkers and wiped a Terminator squad in combat.

Unfortunately the run of good luck with my new models ended with the mkIV's as they got charged by a Khorne Lord and Khârn himself! A meltagun got Khârn afterwards at least, they are really good in 9th I discovered.

I got in a smaller 1000pt game which I lost against a majority Terminator army. Managed to whittle down a few models... but then Abaddon got into close combat range and it all went downhill fast :yes: First time I've seen him with his new rules and he's an absolute beast! The new Predator and Cataphractii didn't do well at all in this game. I managed to squeeze in three squads of Marines for this list too... perhaps I should have had some cultists for more fancier things that time :wink:

Definitely need more games in 9th to get properly going but it was great fun and we're starting to learn the new rules. One day we'll play all the mission stuff :happy.:

Anyway! Onwards and upwards - I've got a prototype 2000pt list in mind but first I have more models watiing to be done before I can get anything new. Got another Predator and some Cataphractii somewhere. I enjoyed painting them so I'm gonna try and find the Cataphractii and start working on them next.

*I told you it was a casual non-competitive game :teehee:

Getting some games in is a great way to see where you have come - and where you may need to go :tongue.: Abaddon is no slouch at the best of times never mind at 1000pts, a solid counter assault element will help you out here. That or bolters, he can get torrented down like anything else and walls of bolter fire usually did the trick for me :laugh.:

Warptalons are good but fragile, I'd consider trying Raptors. They are capable and less of a blip on your opponent's radar, but also have some ranged capability :tu:

Thanks peeps! I am really pleased with them. I wish I could go back in time and get myself to speed paint all my armies now :P

I want to add 5 more Cataphractii and I have another Predator (I might just be the first people ever to be able to use the Chaos Kill Shot stratagem :teehee:)  to do, then I'll be adding some melee units for sure. My IW are very shooty right now but I still need some combat capability.

Currently I'm pondering 5 Warp Talons but getting the bits for them might be a hassle. I went for Raptors as first but couldn't find the points for a full 10 Marine squad. I have dropped the Cultists but of course that didn't salvage me that many points :laugh.: I think Raptors would be good for additional numbers and the bits would be a lot easier to source for them. I have a 10 Marine CC squad on foot planned to go with a Master of Executions too.

So I guess things aren't quite set yet but generally I'm gonna lean towards melee units for now. Once I've hit 2000pts I can maybe reward myself with that second Contemptor I've long wanted!

I have tinkered with my list some more. Dropped the CC foot squad for Raptors instead. Kept the Warp Talons so that's 15 CC Jump Marines to add some much needed melee prowess to the army :tu:

Before I can buy any I have to finish what I've already got though! Just finished assembling the Cataphractii so they are ready for undercoating :D I used some FW Power Axes (though they look like Chain Axes) on these, I'll need a different upgrade blister from FW for other weapon options for my next five.

med_gallery_27469_16649_902577.jpg

Having the torsos un-glued worked well last time for painting and I'm doing the same here so these aren't the final poses - just what allowed them to balance on the legs :happy.:

Hidden Content

Thanks a lot guys - turns out switching over was a great idea. Started the Predator yesterday morning and finished it last night! All done in one day so pretty pleased with that :biggrin.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_1255084.jpgmed_gallery_27469_16649_939374.jpg

Here are both Predators side by side to prove I did in fact paint a new one :tongue.:

med_gallery_27469_16649_464147.jpg

I even went back to the mkIV's and I'm happier with the hazard stripes now. They're not perfect but I have to keep telling myself to stop meddling as this is a speed painting army :sweat: They are certainly table top standard so I shall move on (emotionally and physically) and continue painting the rest of them :wink:

*cat reading newspaper*

"I need to buy some FW Predators for my IW.'

These look great. Did you magnetize?

Thanks WF! Yes, planning on getting the Cataphactii spray painted ASAP so I can start work on them. I can worry about what type of mark Marine to make into Raptors later :tu:

That's very kind MegaVolt, cheers! I have just been going through your IW thread - seems I need to peruse the WIP sub-forum so I don't miss out on some amazing IW armies on the B&C :tu: I did magnetise the TLLC on my first predator but I've not done any more. Perhaps I'll give it a go on my last Predator but large resin kits and me don't get along very well :sweat: I think I lack the patience to faff around with them too much.

Yeah its a bit annoying magnetizing but once you do it a few times its much easier. Also those power axes are good, they got the power weapon feeds + diodes so can sub for both as long as you don't give them the glow when painting. Glad you enjoyed my thread, I should really get back to hobbying soon, just had a lot on for a while so its been a low priority even on my downtime. 

Perhaps I'll have another go at it since it will be my last Predator. No promises though, as I tend to get frustrated with resin and just want the model assembles ASAP so I can paint it :sweat:

Yes hobby motivation comes and goes around real life. It'll still be waiting for you when you're ready, even if it's just for a half hour here and there :tu:

I made more progress with the Cataphracti... but only undercoating and a layer of Leadbelcher so not worth a picture. My Nuln Oil is perilously low though and I need to get a new one so progress might be stalled for a while.

As BCC always said: 15 minutes a day paints an army, all progress is good progress no matter how small :) I've been making solid hobby progress thanks to the odd lunch break endeavour :P

That might actually be a good idea for my home office breaks!

The 15 minutes part works nicely, keeps you moving forwards all the time. Lunch times make for a great opportunity for it - get away from the screen and work and get some hobby in, that's a double win :biggrin.: I've found it complements time nicely too, a bit of time in the evening for less light intensive work or getting some texture paint on to set overnight; such 15 minutes are often more than the sum of their parts :thumbsup: Or should that be sum of the time? :tongue.:

I guess it also matters how long your lunch break is and how long it takes to eat whatever lunch you have that day :teehee: I have made some progress (of which some lunch breaks were used!) on my Cataphractii:

med_gallery_27469_16649_978199.jpg

They are a bit monochrome at the moment but a lot has been done actually. This is nearly all of the boring grunt work complete and now things will speed up with some colours being done :biggrin.:

Today was a good day!

med_gallery_27469_16649_921812.jpg

I will get the base texture on later and let that dry overnight. They should be finished tomorrow at this rate :thumbsup:

There was a moment during painting that the ptrugithingies were still black and I was starting to have second thoughts about painting them red... then I painted them and any doubts were removed! :happy.: They're staying red now