Mono Tzeentch....Making it work

oreaper84

So i have played a bunch of Sigmar...and one of my fav armies in Tzeentch. So consequently i have a ton of Tz deamons sitting around and thought id give them my best try in this great new edition of 40k. Starting off at 1k to get things rolling as trhat what the local group is gearing up at, but i'll def expand into other models i already have.

List i have so far is LoC / Change caster / 10 brims / 10 brims / 20 pinks / 2x exalted flamer / 2x5 flamers

I have some question for you well versed in the secrets of the 41st millennium 

Is this list at all viable?

What is this unkillable LoC im hearing about?

Is pbig zappy the way to go? or is smaller msu style better?

Thanks for any advise..

So I don't play mono-tzeentch but I do use Tzeentch units. Big blocks of horrors, flamers, Screamers, and LoC are all good options.

The unkillable LoC is equipped with the impossible robe (3++ invul), exalted with aura of mutability, and the incorporeal form warlord trait for -1 dmg.

Edited by Amon777

What you need is

LoC

Flamers

Screamers

Horrors.

The LoC warlord with impossible robes, -1 dam warlord trait, exalted: aura of mutability and a decent relic is soo hard to kill, just as Amon777 said!

Use that to protect your scoring units (horrors)

Then you need flamers for the crazy MW output and screamers for some CC-with speed.

Stay away from chariots and exalted flamers.

I would say that in 9:ed you shouldn´t forget about daemon princes and also soul grinders that can be effective too (perhaps the sould grinder less). And one model I love is the changeling. He is very nice to give out feel no pain.

I would say that in 9:ed you shouldn´t forget about daemon princes and also soul grinders that can be effective too (perhaps the sould grinder less). And one model I love is the changeling. He is very nice to give out feel no pain.

Yes, the Changeling can also be a pain in melee too.

Screamers like already mentioned, though I´d only run them if led by a Daemon Prince due to this nice rerolling ones in melee.

A plain herald on foot with that +1 to damage rolls spells is a nice addition to several units. On foot because he is easy to summon then (low points cost). Mounted on a disc of Tzeentch he is also able to give his buffs to a unit of Screamers.

Remember that you can easily summon units of Brimstones just to steal some objectives here and there.

Oh, one last thing. Furies of Tzeentch are really fast INFANTRY units that are able to take actions.

• 4 months later...

I had a 1000p + 1000p vs 1000p + 1000p game (we where 4 players with 1000p each) and I chose mono-Tzeentch. It was a lot of fun. And they did better then I thought. I had ofc a smaller army with a LoC, 25 pink horrors, 10 brimstones, 5 flamers, 5 screamers, 1 burning chariot and last a herald. They where out performing themself, I had a lot of fun and it felt like a army that had some kind of answer to most thing. I really got to use the new strats and they where very good. Both teleporting my chariot, mortal wounds with my flamers and making the horrors better. All was used with good effect. I shall explore this more now and try to bring my army up too 2000p. I want a second Loc ;)   

• 2 months later...

[...] 1 burning chariot [...].

I really got to use the new strats and they where very good. Both teleporting my chariot, [...] :wink:   

Well, I recently noticed that strat that allows for a teleporting chariot. Now I´m building one due to the fact that I love the model and the rules seem to quite good right now. It´s fast, decently ressilient and offers some high quality shooting. Good for some Crusader matches. ;)

Even if the chariot by itself is so good, it can surprise opponents (and myself) and it´s ok in price. Also, with the option to teleport for 1CP it gives a lot of possibilites, like scoring secondary etc. So it´s have give me a lot of points in my games so now days I always have one with me.

I even think about getting two, because if your opponent notices how much you like it, he will hunt it. One rule of thumb for me is: if you want to see a certain unit shine on the battlefield, you have to take two of them. One will die, the other one will work. :D

• 6 months later...

Hey guys. I'm thinking of starting a 1k army of mono-Tzeentch demons, as a painting project.

I was thinking of getting a couple of start collecting boxes, plus some blue and brimstone horrors.

Any advice on how these guys play on the tabletop for someone still just dipping into the army as a whole?

I played a 1000p pure mono tzeentch last week and won against a Iron Hand army. I used a lord of change, herald on disc, 2 units of 10 pink horrors, 9 screamers and 6 flamers with some summoning point left over.

I think they can ee very strong, specially in how fast we are and with summoning blue/brimstone horrors when pink horrors dies most opponents forget that it take a lot of fire to take them out. Also Tzeentch has a easy time to score objectives. Never forget, screamers are awsome. Very fun to play and to paint. Can recommend them.

I think Tzeentch daemons are good, and as Ulfast says have some great models that fit the theme (I've long wanted to paint up a LoC since seeing the plastic released). They have some variety in shooting and psychic potential plus better saves that can help fill the gaps other daemons have.

Don't forget a WIP topic when you get started, it'll also be a good place to ruminate on tactics and strategies etc ;) Though I don't have Tzeentchian daemons (yet...) my understanding is that aside from the obvious they have the general approach of Daemon armies: numbers supported by characters with the latter doing most of the heavy lifting.

I have tried it and it works very nice. I used two in some of my gamse and they shoot a lot ( 90 shoots, S4 if you have an herald close). But best thing is that they are very hard to shift from a objective as 4+ inv is so good. If you also keep some summoningpoints it´s even harder to shift them. A nice touch can be to use the changeling too, a 4+ inv with a 6+ feel no pain is not bad. In some cases you can even use the +1 to inv save for 2cp to make them even harder to kill. And while your opponent try to take those out, the rest of your army (as WarriorFish said) will pick them apart. 

An advice, don´t forget about the locus. It seems bad (and is propably the worse of them all) but still helps. I had one game where I rolled a 6 and 5 which mean 5 where not to be used. Very nice. A second time I rolled 1 and a 6, which means the one should be used. That also seems bad for us but actually, if I read the rules right, they player can´t use the 1 which means, he can´t rerolled them with character auras which can save a couple of hits (and propably wounds as much in a Tzeentch army is only T3 or T4). Worth to remember.

Also, both flamers and screamers are very good and with right support, then can be nasty.

When it comes to the lord of change, I really like to use the warlord trait that do more mortals wounds then to use the 3+ inv save robe LoC. The later is better but the other is more fun and can be useful to do more damage as that can some times be a bit of a problem for mono-tzeentch. They shall always be exalted!

Biggest complain about mono-Tzeentch from my side, is that an army that is made of pure magic, is actually pretty bad in casting spells. Why our heralds ony can cast one spell and our greater daemons only can cast two is just wrong. I hope that in next codex that will be boosted.

I was planning on a small 1k force to get into the army. From a couple of starter boxes plus some extras.

A winged demon prince as a central character. With the -1D trait, wings, and malefic talons, plus gifting itself boons of chaos, and the Locus, looks like quite a nice melee character to lead sceamers and flamers.

Couple of units of pink horrors, with blues and brimstones. They seem like good objective holders. The way splits happen, you can keep a unit at 10-man strength through a lot of hits. I AM curious if you can allocate wounds from one attack unto blue horrors and brimstone horrors, as they appear. Can you do that?

Then, the chariot. With the teleporting stratagem, it looks pretty awesome.

My tentative list so far is:

Winged Demon Prince with Malefic Talons

10 Pink Horrors + 10 Blue Horrors + 10 Brimstone Horrors

10 Pink Horrors + 10 Blue Horrors + 10 Brimstone Horrors

5 Flamers

5 Screamers

1 Chariot

Comes about 990? And can be easily put together, miniature sets wise. Since this is a new project, I'm trying to keep costs down to start.

Thanks! I'll keep it mind.

For now, since I already bought the paints I got, I think I'll at least finish a batch of minis before switching.

I am absolutely a beginner level painter, so I did run into a few issues with my first attempt at this, as you can see here.

Hidden Content
IMG-20211105-WA0046.jpg

The primer I used would not really cover the model well, and would pool too much in various places. Still, I did manage to at least get a coat of primer on it before applying color. 

Thing is, I then totally forgot of undercoating the mini with white, and went straight for a layer of yellow on it. Which left the model kinda... I dunno. Weird looking. With many places in which the unevenness of the primer underneath makes the yellow become darker.

Hidden Content
IMG-20211105-WA0057.jpg

Still, after a couple of coats and some patching on the worst parts, I do think they turned out.... well, not great, but serviceable.

Hidden Content
IMG-20211105-WA0064.jpgIMG-20211105-WA0067.jpg

I managed to do just the yellow on them, and only on two models. Spent too much time re-building my painting area,a s I had it all pretty much o storage for what feels like a whole year now. Now I have my tools (and my white base for an undercoat after the primer...) at hand, so next time I plan on getting many more Brimstone Horrors ready.

Edited by Berzul

I second Contrast paints for daemons, they'll really help you get going and can save quite a bit of time. Are you using a spray can for priming? Depends on your environment, but applying some warm water to the can before shaking and spraying can really help. You can't go wrong with some test spraying before aiming at any models - if anything feels or looks off abort and return later to be on the safe side :tu:

I think you got the Brimstones done nicely in the end, I reckon a wash or two and maybe a highlight (quick and dirty drybrush) is all you need to have them pop :)

No, I'm not using a spray can. I live in an appartment with not much of a highly ventilated place for sprays, and have two small kids here, so I kinda got concerned about using them.

I applied a paint primer. It always gave me good results in the past, but I do think I diluted it too much this time. Ill see about applying it better for the next couple of horrors.

As for contrast, yeah, I'll be sure to try it with my upcoming units. Thank you for the advice.

As for these guys? Yeah, I think a shade and then a highlight will still yield me a nice looking couple of minis. Tabletop ready, at least, even if they wont be winning any golden demons anytime soon.

So to each his/her own, but daemons are a horde army. You can easily have up to 100 models on the table and even more in your collection so you are gonna want to develop all the time saving hacks you can. I also live in an apartment so I understand, but spray cans are so fast, you can shake the can while in side(little bit of noise) have the models on top of a box, walk out to the parking lot away from any one/car and spray 10-20 models in about 10 min. He’ll even if you have to drive 15 min away for a clear spot you’ll still be saving time vs priming all the daemons by hand lol.

Contrast is amazing like has been mentioned but you’ll still learn things using “normal” paints so it’s not a waste. If you want to see what you can do, search for warhipster on YouTube. He recently has been working on his daemons pushing contrast to its limits to get some damn good models!