Xenith's Xenos - Eldar, Necrons and Orks

Xenith

shinyeldar.jpg

Welcome to my thread of all things Xenos. This first post will be a placeholder to direct you in what may or may not become a sprawling thread of Xeno projects...

Previously I've started WIP threads in specific faction subsections, however this leads to a lot of admin, so roughly splitting my paint logs into into Imperium/Chaos/Xenos might be the best way forwards! 

My Tyranids already have their own topic in the nid section, and are a much larger army than the others, so go check them out. here:

Hive Fleet Jabberwocky

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So I got the SpeedFreeks box, and have been having fun with it. Speed Painting for Speed Freeks, using the techniques given by Duncan on Warhammer TV.

This is the first Ork/Ork Unit I have painted in almost 2 decades...It still needs the base,which will be a mix of Agrellan earth and the thicker version of it for additional texture. I'm keeping it simple for speed.

gallery_58096_15293_695161.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_848646.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_194916.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_73219.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_1570160.jpg

Edited by Xenith

• 1 year later...

And the Scrapjet is done

gallery_58096_15293_836787.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_937651.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_848146.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_883584.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_122313.jpg

My proposed 500pt army had two of these bad boys in it. While I loved the kit, there are some things I'd change. The grot gunner is one. He's so cool and characterful, but you cant see him when you assemble the model - I'd but away the canopy/dome that he's in to expose him to the elements and my paintbrush.

Next in the Speed Freek pile are the Kustom Boosta Blasta + 6 bikers from the boxed set, and another Delorkian/Dragsta. These will take a back seat for a while though as I work through other things in my backlog.

Great detail on those ork vehicles!

Thanks Smoke!

Very nice work Xenith,

The yellow is rich and well done on the Dragsta, I do like the squig leather seat in the ScrapJet :-)

Cheers, Mithril

Thanks Mithril - that yellow is just Averland sunset with 2-3 glazes of Lamenters yellow on top, as per the Warhammer TV video. The scrapjet however is wraithbone spray with 2 thin, semi-controlled coats of Iyanden yellow contrast. It's a slightly different yellow, and a bit mottled, but I think the patchy look is great for orks, and disappears under the weathering anyway.

thankks for the reply, i use Averland as well but do a controlled cassandora wash before lamenters (although that glaze is rare now so I only use it on favourite models :sweat: )

the finished scrapjet looks great as well :thumbsup:  thanks for the motivation to get on with my Orks !!

cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++

your right about the Grot gunner, it was a shame to paint him then stick him away for no one to see... :ermm:  he needed a glass canopy like on a ww2 bomber

Edited by mithrilforge

• 2 months later...

Let's start with a power-rangers style shot...I'm struggling to finalise my colour scheme. I wanted my Eldar to be physically sickening, as they were mentally, so i went with a lime green base with red/lavender halved detailing. This was pretty work intensive. I'm now kind of motivated to get back to the Eldar, and am thinking of streamlining the scheme, with a few options below. Which do you think is the best/most striking?

L-R: Red, black, dark purple, light purple, orange.

The dark/light purple is pretty close to Il Kaithe, but a bit brighter, the orange is a green instead of grey Yme Loc. The black was a recent idea for a really contrasting colour to the green, and the red wsa an accident that I thought actually looked pretty good.

Thoughts?

gallery_58096_16708_11102.jpg

gallery_58096_16708_94234.jpg

gallery_58096_16708_191359.jpg

gallery_58096_16708_14103.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Green and orange are a fantastic old-school scheme; but my favourite is the red and green. It's a colour combo you don't see very often, thanks to the Christmassy look, but here the green is vibrant and lime green, so it just looks arresting.

Green and orange are a fantastic old-school scheme; but my favourite is the red and green. It's a colour combo you don't see very often, thanks to the Christmassy look, but here the green is vibrant and lime green, so it just looks arresting.

Yes, these are the ones I'm most drawn to myself - I can't remember why I started painting a helmet red, but I was very pleased with the result. I'm going to have a play aroun and try some with full red/orange helms, no white faces. That's been suggested a couple of times. 

Edited by Xenith

I like the orange for your aim of making them garishly sickening(though maybe making it a tad brighter would help? or maybe not... not much of a color theory-ist, so I have no clue), though I do like the light purple as well, gives me inverted Eva Unit-01 vibes:

3454f32e7e62185f16ea9b03d97dabbd.jpg

which might be another reason the orange called to me, since that color is in Unit-01's scheme as well... actually, all the colors you tried are in there...

Edited by RipOffProductions

Haha, I hadn't even realised the Eva connection.

Reading a little more into colour theory, I think that the red looks good and the lavender purple looks odd is that the complimentary colour for a green is truly magenta. Seeing as GW produced no true magenta paints, I might have to look further afield to test a model in these colours, or perhaps add a little screamer pink to the genestealer/lavender purple colour. 

400px-SubtractiveColor.svg.png

In a more traditional contrast, Red/Green works pretty well, which is why the above red model maybe looks good also.

440px-Contrast_of_complementary_colors.s

I've since painted the eyes on the other models and repainted the dark purple one with a fully red faceplate to see how that looks - photos up soon. 

Hadn't made the Eva connection myself but was thinking the scheme looked familiar. I was thinking more Lex Luthor in his power suit.

Personal tastes - I like the red then second choice is black. Black seems a bit more understated (less on the model may be helping this)

Haha, so feedback so far has been Spiderman, Superman, and now Bananaman villains  :laugh.::teehee:  :facepalm:

That seems to make the red and purple options less cool, making black or orange more preferable.

I might have another go at these, with full-face-paint versions to see how they fly.

I initially really loved the orange, however the black is growing on me. I think it would make the army look...slick...and maybe the contrast would make the green seem more neon, if that makes sense? Orange could be a spot colour for gems, perhaps. 

Hadn't made the Eva connection myself but was thinking the scheme looked familiar. I was thinking more Lex Luthor in his power suit.

I admit, I've associated Eldar and Eva ever since I saw someone point out how Eldar Titans are basically Eva units(plus just having vibrant colors on semi-literal godmachines), and while I've come to realize that that wasn't as acurite as they claimed, it still stuck with me ever since, and I've been thinking about how cool it would be if you could pose Eldar Titans in the cool and dynamic poses seen thoughout the show and movies... it would have to wait until Adeptus Titanicus adds Xenos titans due to weight/stability(and cost) issues, but still it will be cool once that happens.

Edited by RipOffProductions

I've been thinking about how cool it would be if you could pose Eldar Titans in the cool and dynamic poses seen thoughout the show and movies... it would have to wait until Adeptus Titanicus adds Xenos titans due to weight/stability(and cost) issues, but still it will be cool once that happens.

Why not use a wraithlord? They're already probably in scale, and poseable:

2c8c8e208940d116d7e7388d9f416900.jpg

382eafa19421b8a1d291024d95d5e27d.jpg

476ef7601ea804e91cc8288352238740.jpg9e340a80ecc9b18d1e04703515f1bc80.jpg

I've taken a step back on the colour tests for now to let them sink in. The black still is really growing on me, and would be the easiest to repaint some of my existing models. I also feel that might might get an "awesome" reaction as opposed to the usual "ugh"...but then maybe I want the "ugh"...

I still have the Xeno bug and want to make up some Eldar models. Next I need to test out how I'd magnetise a wraithlord and war-walkers. These were stubbling blocks for me a decade ago that saw progress grind to a halt on the army. 

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...