Strange Hosts, Dark Deeds: The Haunted Legions of Sarkon

Lord_Ikka

Whispers stir deep in Segmentum Obscurus. In the dark hives of Mordia...in the halls of the Naval Academies of Cypra Mundi...
The rumors grow.

Ships have disappeared, far from the Cicatrix Maledictum's known borders. There are stories of lost outposts and planets decimated by rusted, ghostly figures of steel and bronze.

The Imperium's worlds lie quiet.
The people pray to the God-Emperor.

Rumors wind through the courts of the Necron dynasties. Nobles brood on the threat of the Haunted Legions.  These Necrons are unburdened by memory, or even by soul.

The murmurs of Crypteks of all stripes in quiet conferences echo through the halls.
What do they discuss?
The Sarkoni Emperor, the former Master Program that has become so much more.
Minor tombworlds lost; their resources and populations fuel for the Severed's plans.

A rising chorus of dismay and horror swirl in the Empire of the Severed.
The Master Program, the Sarkoni Emperor, the Gestalt-Lord, has awakened and cast its eye upon the galaxy.  
The galaxy is unworthy.

Rusted legions of warriors. Mindless Nobles. Hovering Destroyers. Corrupted Crypteks and their Canopek thralls.

All march in obedient, ghostly silence.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

"For aeons did the bindings hold, for aeons did the Yngir known as the Nameless One stay bound. The Whispering Haunter, Lorgg'raoh of the Darkness, has come free and has begun to clothe itself in the rainment of reality. Fear the future, as the binding of the Nameless One and the Soul-lost Machine is near." - Dream vision of Farseer Tiae-Kriac, Craftworld Ulthwé

4cpZ3jL.jpg

IsNfcOC.jpg

yuCUfJ0.jpg

"We fought and fought, but they never stopped, never stopped. Every time a las-burst put one down it would get right back up. Fog, strange fog enveloped them, covered them and hid them at times. It was like fighting ghosts, ghosts made of steel and rust." Exit interview of Sergeant Viktor Drask, 87th Mordian Iron Guard, assigned to Fort Ulti on Verna Prime (only survivor)

uDTAWA7.jpg

Edited by Lord_Ikka

I'm excited to see another member of the board explore the more obscure parts of Necron lore from the codex! I'm intrigued to see how you model your characters and nobles, considering the Sarkon's hijacking of the intelligences.

Impressive works. As the "Nameless One" has the power to corrode metal and corrupt the very living metal composing a Necron body, may I ask what concept he embodies? Maybe chaos (lower-case spelling), which horrifies other C'tan and the Necrons associated with them? IIRC, Daemons of Nurgle are able to make living metal RUST.

I'm excited to see another member of the board explore the more obscure parts of Necron lore from the codex! I'm intrigued to see how you model your characters and nobles, considering the Sarkon's hijacking of the intelligences.

Right now I've got a Royal Warden and a converted Lokhust Lord (Heavy Destroyer body and Vargard Obyron upper body), but they are not that different from the warriors in concept. This is an army that I'll be moving further along with the Imperium magazine next year, so eventually getting Crypteks and Lords will come- hopefully by then I'll have a solid concept/theme for the Sarkoni's domination of Nobles.

Impressive works. As the "Nameless One" has the power to corrode metal and corrupt the very living metal composing a Necron body, may I ask what concept he embodies? Maybe chaos (lower-case spelling), which horrifies other C'tan and the Necrons associated with them? IIRC, Daemons of Nurgle are able to make living metal RUST.

As of yet, I haven't fully developed the Nameless One's theme- I wanted something that sounded appropriately creepy and evil, so took some Lovecraftian elements from the Outer God Nyarlathotep. Nyarlathotep in general is more akin to the Deceiver, but some of his secondary names/titles sound really good and so I used that for the naming. Right now, my idea is that Lorgg'raoh is an embodiment of cosmic entropy- the withering of space and matter not through living materials (a la Nurgle and his plagues) but time and the unbinding of atomic bonds. Still a rough thought though, and I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Nyarlathotep in general is more akin to the Deceiver, but some of his secondary names/titles sound really good and so I used that for the naming. Right now, my idea is that Lorgg'raoh is an embodiment of cosmic entropy- the withering of space and matter not through living materials (a la Nurgle and his plagues) but time and the unbinding of atomic bonds. Still a rough thought though, and I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Excellent imagination.

It's a Royal Warden. I have a unit of Skorpekh Destroyers and a Lokhust Lord that I still need to do write-ups for. Edited by Lord_Ikka

"Their rage removed, their desires replaced by cold, remorseless logic. They are the icons of the Gestalt-Lord's domain- power and will made manifest." former Magos-Logica Retla-Gamma-VI, heretek-saint of Bellus Forgeworld

MrfcCPQ.jpeg

lsigOrd.jpeg

RElRV2n.jpeg

Great stuff! Love the fluff and modeling! Whats next?

Done for now, but I've got a load of stuff coming from eBay in the next few weeks- 12 scarab bases, another unit of Skorpekh Destroyers (this time including a plasmacyte) more Warriors, a squad of both Immortals and Deathmarks, and two Canoptek Spyders. And I might be able to grab Kamoteph the Crooked Saturday from my local Warhammer store's anniversary (which means I'll lose one scarab base to put him on a 50mm like the Forgebane Cryptek, with loads of scarabs running around him). Also thinking of a conversion for a Void Dragon shard, using the AoS Kurdoss Valentian model, taking off the scepter, banner, and horn and having the main guy just gripping his throne while his minions carry a spear and some sort of cool Necron staff/tech thingy. Making this army has been really fun so far. 

Again, excellent works.

Thanks!

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Nice!

It constantly amazes me how people can make simple warriors interesting and what AoS models people use as good looking other types of C'Tan. 

Nice colours, too. Classic with a twist. I like! :thumbsup:

Nice!

It constantly amazes me how people can make simple warriors interesting and what AoS models people use as good looking other types of C'Tan. 

Nice colours, too. Classic with a twist. I like! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I've been really happy with the paint scheme- it's so simple but allows me a lot of leeway in regard to the rust patterning. Never thought Necrons would be so much fun to paint. I'm looking at more AoS stuff for my other C'Tan shards, I just find the regular ones fairly boring (mainly the Nightbringer and Deceiver) and want to inject something a little more fun/epic in the mix.

The Chronomancer looks appropriately intimidating. Is "X" the nameless C'tan whose fate is entwined with his own?

X'll is the Chronomancer's former name, for when he was sentient and "alive". Now he is nothing more than a pawn for the Master Program, who is going to be slowly getting closer to the newly freed C'Tan shards of Sarkon. 

My view is that the Sarkoni Emperor uses the mindless Necrons as its body- it controls them and is able to access/use all the abilities they had when they were full functional, but they are no longer a separate entity from the AI. The AI is all. Now, with the C'Tan, the Gestalt-Lord will be "negotiating" with them to form some sort of new being; a Star God's energy and power anchored to the AI's intelligence and physical presence. Since there will be multiple shards (getting ideas for conversions right now), it will be a slow process. The end result would be a Necron empire that has legions with the ability to manifest C'Tan shards directly from the bodies of the Necrons themselves, fully controlled by the combined mind of the AI-C'Tan hybrid organism. 

My view is that the Sarkoni Emperor uses the mindless Necrons as its body- it controls them and is able to access/use all the abilities they had when they were full functional, but they are no longer a separate entity from the AI. The AI is all. Now, with the C'Tan, the Gestalt-Lord will be "negotiating" with them to form some sort of new being; a Star God's energy and power anchored to the AI's intelligence and physical presence. Since there will be multiple shards (getting ideas for conversions right now), it will be a slow process. The end result would be a Necron empire that has legions with the ability to manifest C'Tan shards directly from the bodies of the Necrons themselves, fully controlled by the combined mind of the AI-C'Tan hybrid organism.

Good imagination! Excellent idea!

X'll is the Chronomancer's former name, for when he was sentient and "alive".

How is the name pronounced? "Ex-ill"? "Ex-ell"? "Zill"? "Zell"?

X'll is the Chronomancer's former name, for when he was sentient and "alive".

How is the name pronounced? "Ex-ill"? "Ex-ell"? "Zill"? "Zell"?

Thanks. I think that the x should have a ch sound, so it would phonically sound like Scheel. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Larger, more powerful, the same evil as their smaller brethren." Ordo Xenos evaluation of Necron Immortal-class warriors

aPuRLmK.jpg

Coming up, more Warriors, more Skorpekh, Deathmarks, a Technomancer, and some Canoptek constructs- plus I'm looking heavily at converting AoS Kurdoss Valentine into a C'Tan that proxies as the Void Dragon.

"Rattle-bones, Rattle-bones, they'll come from you all

Rattle-bones, Rattle-bones, the dead never fall"

Mordian child-rhyme

V'xx, former Technomancer of the Conclave of Far Thought

nvQUx0p.jpeg

8c60UA6.jpeg

DlvYDzg.jpeg

sYcy2Z6.jpeg