Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

Joe

There's total warhammer 3 and the new patch of battlesector so I won't be spending £35 on this.

That's not a complaint, it's simply a reason. I can't wait to play this game, but there's no need to buy it at full price if you're already invested in other games. 

So, you know, you do you!

My only advice is buy when you can.

In a sea of bad warhammer games this is one of the few good ones.

Another angle is that £35 is actually pretty reasonable for video games these days, especially if it's a full-featured (and decent one). I don't begrudge "voting with my wallet" if the studio have done a good job rather than waiting for a deep sale or the inevitable Humble Bundle inclusion.

Been playing it this afternoon and this is the best 40k video game since Space Marine (DoW2 came out before Space Marine right? guessing so). Battlesector was cool but felt really shallow to me, especially the new campaign mode that came out recently. Daemonhunters has felt really solid all around and I might even like it more than X-COM 2.

Will caution players.

When you are repairing your ship be very careful about starting and stopping projects, you do not get your servitors back.

Another angle is that £35 is actually pretty reasonable for video games these days, especially if it's a full-featured (and decent one). I don't begrudge "voting with my wallet" if the studio have done a good job rather than waiting for a deep sale or the inevitable Humble Bundle inclusion.

I paid £45 to get Crowe and OST. Don't regret a penny.

Edited by Wolf Guard Einar

Really enjoying it so far. I like that it has gone in a completely different direction from xcom. I love always hitting too. No 95 percent point blank range misses. Story seems good too so far...the sort of story you expect in 40k.

Only thing I don't like is the armour situation. It feels odd getting shot once by a guardsman and having to heal for 40 days. I feel like power armour should confer like one or two armour naturally and terminators should get a bit more than they do currently. Plague marines having 3 armour felt how I imagine power armour should feel so I think two pips for GK would be about right.

Also hitting a cultist with a thunder hammer and them surviving just feels wrong.

Edited by Subtleknife

So far I like it. Dunno why people are talking about 40 day downtimes. My dudes heal their critical wounds in 24 days (standard difficulty). I only got that because I opted to do the mission without spending WP for extra requisition.

Overall, I like the game. I'like comic style graphics, so that is not an issue, altough it could've gone for a bit more realistic approach. But the details are awesome. Music is the best, I am currently listening to it during work :D The game systems, I don't know how dodgy they are, I need more experience. Yeah, the GKs aren't the unstoppable juggernauts but hey, it wouldn't be much of a game, if you stomp throguh without opposition.

The only annoying thing is the voice acting on the cultists and that screeching voice...  aside from that, optimisation needs working and the UI is not "intuitive" so I give it a 8/10

Would climb walls in power armor again :D

I've played the game a little bit, and there's definitely factors that cause some dissonance.

The last good 40k game that was individual, turn based rpg was mechanicus. It was inspired by XCOM, but diverged quite a bit. Your guys didn't get injured, they could take some whacks, and the enemy mechanics were very simple to understand and check out, and required same faulty planning to get punished.

This game is very, very similar to XCOM. Until it isn't. Your guys can take damage fast, and get injured often. The enemies are far more aggressive, with more abilities and more actions. Cover and range are more factors to your damage output. There's a clock on the mission that you don't want to miss.

But injuries don't prevent your guys from deploying to missions. You can make an decent tank to absorb damage from the very first mission. You can't miss shots and be "cheated" out of damage. The clock doesn't skimp you of rewards, it just adds difficulty in some way.

The fact that grey knights take damage so easily is an unfortunate aspect of needing enemies to provide pressure, especially the cultists who don't have as easy time with "the warp helps" as everything else. But I think some of that is due to not being familiar with the damage mitigation systems and enemy info; both of which can be better communicated/explained.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Honestly I think most peoples issues can be solves with a little more time to learn and maybe a more direct UI. Playing standard grandmaster and can't get enough; only wish I have is that I wish the turns and animations were a little more snappy. Crowe Is just a max level Purifier with locked wargear with built-in deathless trait. A crutch if you will as taking him is depriving one of your other knights of mission experience but handy in a pinch.

Honestly I think most peoples issues can be solves with a little more time to learn and maybe a more direct UI. Playing standard grandmaster and can't get enough; only wish I have is that I wish the turns and animations were a little more snappy. Crowe Is just a max level Purifier with locked wargear with built-in deathless trait. A crutch if you will as taking him is depriving one of your other knights of mission experience but handy in a pinch.

Wow, now I am trying to imagine Draigo as the pre order bonus haha.

Is it coming out on Xbox? 

PC only at the moment.

Used Crowe a few times but I went back to my standard squad quickly.

I find the game very sluggish and laggy. My computer is a bit battered but not too old. I have it on lowest graphics settings? Anything I can do to improve preformance?

I want to like the game but these perfomance issues are really detracting from it.

Edited by grailkeeper

I find the game very sluggish and laggy. My computer is a bit battered but not too old. I have it on lowest graphics settings? Anything I can do to improve preformance?

I want to like the game but these perfomance issues are really detracting from it.

What you using? SSD? Mech Drive? GFX?

Having now completed it I have only one real complaint well its more of a unit issue.

No DeathShroud

Especially not even in the Morty fight.

What you using? SSD? Mech Drive? GFX?

Having now completed it I have only one real complaint well its more of a unit issue.

No DeathShroud

Especially not even in the Morty fight.

I'm using a laptop. Its not optimised for gaming but runs total war pretty well. It doesnt have any particular gaming upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...