Vincula Insurgency

Another small novella which I started yesterday and so far it a joy. I’m smiling all the way through a chapter at a time. Going back to the early days knowing the future could have been so bad but so far Abnett doing a great job. You can see the regiment building it’s skills, there is some information I dont remember coming out before (not to say it hadn’t) can’t wait to get a good quiet evening to finish this off. Now the rains arrived in the UK that might be possible! Any ghost fan has got to love this.

I’m sure the second half will be all action but the slow opening section is superb, as we get to meet some friends again.

Also add the special edition is impressive. The map of Tanith by Francesca Baerald is just perfect as all her art is. Small book for the money but certainly there are some nice little (expensive) extra bits.

As long as the main story’s still happening I don’t need or particularly want side stories, but Abnett’s saying these will recontextualize the story a little, which sounds great. Edited by cheywood

As long as the main story’s still happening I don’t need or particularly want side stories, but Abnett’s saying these will recontextualize the story a little, which sounds great.

Oh we definitely do not NEED these flasback side stories for the GG series but I for one WANT them.

As you say, as long as main story/plot continues.

Also keen for more Ghost stories potentially out of the main arc, a lot of the best characters have been dead for years irl so its interesting to see them again even for a little while, im sure there are plenty of previously unnamed Ghosts to die still :D 

Finished this. Wow. I wasn’t expecting anything like this in the dossier books. Abnett has started something here that I have no idea where it’s going at all. I doubt any ghost fan will want to miss this, it’s eisenhorn level conspiracy stuff.

On the surface this is, as I said earlier a 40k goes to Afghan. We have all the players, an occupying force unsure of local traditions and loyalties, military intelligence trying to make sense of it all, a vicious and cruel band of terrorists hiding behind and among an innocent population, translators etc etc. All good stuff and we see the regiments strengths that later are so well used forming.

However a little side story showing our favourite (some now dead) characters isn’t enough for old Dan. He is reaching back to old Tanith it’s cultures and possible links across the sector. Hidden groups? secret societies? Feth knows!? Fething great stuff anyway.

On the limited edition, this has to be the best one of these boxed editions yet. Up to now we got a box with a book and some largely random stuff. Here all the extras relate to the book. We have coins from Tanith that are mentioned, a coin from Khulan. A map of Tanith, showing tribal lands, which I’m imagining will help as this storyline progresses. Various other cool stuff, that are all story related. Brilliant job.

As usual I’m in awe of Abnetts head.

@knockagh I think this just went from a WANT to a NEED for me! Colour me intrigued. Care to give us some spoilers (my memory is bad so won’t remember when I do read it)?

I cannot wait for the standard release. The Ltd/Special editions are too pricey and too stressful to collect for me.

From Knockagh

Very basically the military intelligence folks are obsessed with the culture of the planets which have seen insurgencies after imperials took control again. Their work looks at common symbols used, primarily their tribal tattoos. The intel folk go back to the shared Terran ancestry of many of the worlds where these symbols are seen……including Tanith. Tanith seems only to have been colonised for around 6000 years but others worlds predate the heresy suggesting Tanith was a colony of another world in the sabbat system. A lot of the narrative from this comes from Rawne who beds the pretty intel officer, giving her a chance to examine his tattoos and so they chat…… Rawne and other ghosts seem to care or know little about any of the cultural history attached to them. Rawne suggests she talk to Dorden who has some knowledge of the symbols.

The insurgents they are fighting in the book are the first they have experienced with any martial skill or training and surprise surprise they share some tattoos with the Tanith. Added to that is the suspicion that the insurgents are getting arms from the occupation force itself suggesting a traitor?

At the end of the book the Tanith are pulled out to head to the front. The regiment taking over ignore all the Tanith have learnt and dismiss the intel folks as mere pesky interference. So the whole developing story seems about to be lost until the very end when the tattoo they have been most concerned about is glanced on young Brin Milos back! Shock horror!! This is the tattoo associated with the Nalsheen, these were the guys who defended Tanith, ultra scouts back in the day. We also know Mkvenner has been trained as a Nalsheen before everything and he’s the only one left…… but then if the culture wasn’t specific to Tanith then is he?

If you think forward to Mkvenners ‘death’ on Gereon we are told he might not even be dead. Certainly there is mystery round him.

Finished a couple of days ago, great read. Before  getting to it I re-read everything chronologically up to that point as per below. 

The Fissure - 251.M41   *

Manzipor (First and Only) – 735.M41 

Ignatatius Cardinal (First and Only) – 736.M41 

Darendara Part 1 (First and Only) – 747.M41 

Darendara Part 2 (First and Only) – 747.M41 

Gylastus Decimus (First and Only) – 749.M41 

Khedd 1173 (First and Only) – 751.M41 

Ghost Return – 755.M41

The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings - 757.M41  *

The Inheritor King – 757.M41 *

Epilogue (Blood Pact) – 765.M41 

Regicide - 765.M41 *

Ghostmaker (Ghostmaker) - 765.M41                                                     1st Blackshard

A Blooding (Ghostmaker) - 765.M41                                                       2nd Voltemand

Of Their Lives in the Ruins of Their Cities – 765.M41                             2nd Voltemand

The Vincula Insurgency – 765.M41                                                         2nd Voltemand

Now in both 'Of Their Lives in the Ruins of Their Cities' and 'The Vincula Insurgency' the next planet the Ghosts are to be deployed on is strongly suggested to be Caligula. There are two stories set on Caligula in Ghostmaker, one of them dealing with 'insurgents' so I have a strong suspicion that this is where part 2 of the Ghost Dossier will take place. In fact the Ghost Dossier's are a great opportunity to expand on the stories and planets visited in the short stories contained in Ghostmaker. 

I can't find anything definitive but it certainly seems to me that all the events in Chostmaker took place before the main narrative in First and Only, these short stories were also written first I believe. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by animal310

You’ve put in a good piece of work there! I’m not sure the dossier files will necessarily fill in holes like that, but they could. The story within the story will be the one Dan wants to tell, and certainly the one I’m interested in. I doubt very much Dan had any plans for this side story and it will definitely be fascinating to see where it goes. I’d like to see the story on Gereon told from a different perspective in light of emerging details.

I've always thought of Ghostmaker sandwiching First and Only; Necropolis occurs after Monthax, and it makes sense that First and Only occurs before 'Witch Hunt', and even before 'A Simple Plan' as it feels like too much development for Caffran compared to the boy he still feels like in F&O.

I haven't got my Crusade history books to hand, but will check by Friday :)

I've always thought of Ghostmaker sandwiching First and Only; Necropolis occurs after Monthax, and it makes sense that First and Only occurs before 'Witch Hunt', and even before 'A Simple Plan' as it feels like too much development for Caffran compared to the boy he still feels like in F&O.

I haven't got my Crusade history books to hand, but will check by Friday :)

I’ve had a quick look, Monthax was 6 months before Necropolis but I see what you mean about Caffran. The 6 months could have been more anti-insurgency type work or any other unmentioned event. I think at least 4 stories minimum take place before First and Only, Ghostmaker, The Blooding, The Hollows of Hell and That Hideous Strength (the last two being based on Caligula) A few more as well seem likely. Good point about Caffran, the last three from A Simple Plan onwards no doubt take place after First and Only. Varl is a Sgt in Witch Hunt, when was he promoted, during First and Only? I take it Dan has never come out with a chronological list? Edited by animal310

Thought some might be interested:

Behold the map of Tanith! ;)

⚜️Fʀᴀɴᴄᴇsᴄᴀ Bᴀᴇʀᴀʟᴅ⚔️ (@FBaerald) Tweeted:

Map of #Tanith I did for The #VinculaInsurgency: #GhostDossier I - Limited Edition

• 9 months later...