New Chaos Traitor Guard and cultist army - Chaos Squats!

Hi everyone. I've been a 40k fan since 1987 and have normally stuck with modelling Space Marines ( I have also dabbled with Catachans and the Deathwatch as well). The closest I've been to Chaos models were the Chaos Space Marines and cultists from the Dark Vengeance box set. I have always used them as dead heretics on bases .....

912517_sm-Dead%20Heretics%2040mm%20bases

and I also made a large diorama.....

994493_sm-Chaos%2C%20Diarama%2C%20Imperi

But normally, any chaos models I have made are dead! 

I read all of the Commissar Gaunt and Cain books over the lock downs and with the release of the Traitor Guardsmen models from the Blackstone Fortress expansion, my creative juices started flowing - it got me interested in starting a Chaos Traitor Guard and Cultist army. 

There have been rumours recently about Squats returning to the 40k universe and having bought a few of the plastic Space Dwarves when they were released in the early 1990's, I managed to locate them recently and realised how small they were compared to current models.

As I was planning on making as many Chaos Traitor Guardsmen as I could from as many of the well known Imperial Guard regiments, I thought I would try and make some Chaos Squats.

1115624_sm-Chaos%20Squat%201%20Front.JPG

I give you my first Chaos Squat. Apologies for the dust on the photo's, I was so excited to show these models that I hadn't quite finished them.

The body is made from a Kharadron Overlord with all of it's stomach and neck armour removed. I then used milliput to model the flak jacket and when it was nearly dry, I used a sharp, wet scalpel to cut the distinctive diamond design. Thin strips of plasticard were used to make his harness webbing. I used more milliput to make the knee guards and made a mould to use for future Squats. I thought Catachan arms would look great on Squats, so I chose the Bolter from the Catachan Command Squad (with a chain blade from a Horus Heresy kit I had in my bits box) and the left arm from a Catachan squaddie, alongside the knife. I made a mould from an original plastic Squat helmet. Once the milliput was set, I then added the pulled down visor for a cool effect. I added some spare bolter magazines from Horus Heresy kits I had alongside some grenades and pack from some scouts. I used a mould of the Chaos star from one of the cultist models and added it to the belt. Shoulder pads were made from moulds of Valkyrie gunners and then had plastic spikes added from Chaos Marauder flails. I also added spikes to the top of his boots as well.

1115625_sm-Chaos%20Squat%201%20Left%20Si

I added a plastic Catachan knife sheath to his left side ...

1115626_sm-Chaos%20Squat%201%20Right%20S

and a moulded las pistol to the right. You can also see I added a Horus Heresy sword/knife diagonally down his back.

1115627_sm-Chaos%20Squat%252FGuard%20siz

For comparison purposes, the Squat is shown next to a Chaos Traitor Guard I've also made using a FW renegade torso, Cadian legs and shoulder pads, Catachan arms and boots moulded from the Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guard.

1115622_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%201%2

1115623_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%201%2

I've loved making these models and have already made a start on many more. I promise to update as often as I can, but please ask if you have any questions.

Till next time

Both the chaos dwarf and traitor guard are well done. You’ve added a lot of detail that really make the models stand out. Will you be using FW torsos for all of your traitor guard?

when you make molds, how are you doing that? Using blue stuff?

Thanks for your questions Shovellovin :smile.: I have used/plan on using a mix of FW torso's alongside Dark Vengeance Chaos Cultist, Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guardsmen, Necromunda bits and Age of Sigmar/Warcry parts to give each model a unique look. I have also used parts from Anvil Industries. I would love to buy some Mad Robot Miniatures bits but he no longer ships to the UK which is a shame as there are a lot of head and torso's I think would make my models pop!

With regards to making moulds for my personal use, I have tried blustuff /oyumaru in the past and no matter how hot the water is, I can never get a good mould. I therefore use silicon putty which I get from ebay. I buy a large quantity (mix equal parts and wait around an hour to cure) which is quite expensive BUT it lasts ages and I think I save in the long run as I don't have to keep buying expensive bits all of the time.

Its a good start and sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing how they take paint.

-Noctem

Thanks for you comments Noctem Cultor :smile.:

Quick update on 2 other Squats I have finished:

1115628_sm-Chaos%20Squat%202%20Front.JPG

Again, apologies for the amount of dust. All models will be cleaned before painting starts. I used the same process as my first Squat, but added a diagonal belt across his chest (the originals all seemed to have different belts/harnesses) and added some hooks to his right shoulder pad from some Dark Eldar bits. I added a small Chaos icon to his belt as well and removed the Imperial Guard icon from the lasgun.

1115629_sm-Chaos%20Squat%202%20Left%20Si

This shows his left side..........

1115630_sm-Chaos%20Squat%202%20Rear.JPG

and his rear right side. You can see the diagonal pouches I added to his back and also the water bottle has had the Imperial Guard icon removed.

1115631_sm-Chaos%20Squat%203%20Front.JPG

This shows the third Squat. Again, I created a different diagonal belt on this one and added some pouches - if you look at any Squat model, they love their pouches!! I added spikes from the Chaos Marauder flail on both shoulder pads and I now think this Squat could play Bloodbowl!!

1115632_sm-Chaos%20Squat%203%20Left%20Si

This shows the left side. I have since cleaned the milliput around the base of the spikes on the shoulder pads.

1115633_sm-Chaos%20Squat%203%20Rear.JPG

And this shows his right side.

1115634_sm-Chaos%20Squats%201.JPG

And finally a group shot. I am in the process of making another 3 Squats and will take some moulds of their bodies to help make more in the future. 

1115641_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%203%2

Finally, a sneak peak on another old school Imperial Guard I'm currently making. I'll show some more updates soon :smile.:

Regards, Phil

Really nice. How do you find modelling fine details on miliput compared to green stuff?

Do you think you might give some Chaos Dwarf style big hats?

I have been using milliput for years and feel familiar with how it handles grailkeeper, I tried green stuff years ago but found it to be to sticky after mixing, it couldn't hold an edge and couldn't be sanded like milliput. You also get far more milliput in a packet than green stuff. I know the big hats you are referring to, but no, I have no intention of using those type of hats thanks for asking.

Update time:

I'm still finishing off my take on the old OOP plastic Imperial Guardsman and I'll post some pics soon.

1115635_sm-Chaos%20Valhallan%20Front.JPG

This is my take on a Traitor Valhallan. I used a Catachan torso and Cadian arms with an Anvil Industries legs as the starting point. The head and blanket was taken from  a mould of an original metal Valhallan I bought on ebay. I added milliput to lengthen the skirt to greatcoat length and added cuffs to the sleeves. I added some rivets to make the buttons for the greatcoat.

1115636_sm-Chaos%20Valhallan%20Rear.JPG

I added some IG equipment minus the Imperial Eagles on the water bottle and Lasgun. A blade was added to the shoulder pad from a Dark Eldar and some spikes from the Chaos Marauder flail.

1115637_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%202%2

This Traitor Guard has a FW torso, Catachan right arm, Cadian legs and a head and right foot taken from a mould of the Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guard. I used an Age of Sigmar mould of a bare left foot. I then attempted to make milliput to look like a ripped right sleeve and left leg. A hose was added to his gasmask from the Greenstuff World Tentacle maker. The usual blade and spikes were added to the left shoulder pad.

1115638_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%202%2

I used a Catachan left fore arm and then added it to a Cadian Left arm. Milliput was used to mimic a ripped sleeve.

1115643_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%204%2

This Chaos Traitor was based on a WW1 British trooper Trench Raider. I used a Valkyrie Side Gunner torso and legs as a base as it had a groin guard and knee pads already. I added an Anvil Industries head and Cadian arms. The mace was taken from a Chaos Marauder. A mould of a FW Chaos Renegade torso front plate was also added.

1115644_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%204%2

I added a mould from a Catachan backpack and blanket to make it look like a WW1 trooper.

1115640_sm-Chaos%20Attilan%2C%20Tallarn%

And finally, some WIP troopers - an Attilan, Tallarn and a Light Infantryman. I have since sanded the Attilan's right sleeve and lower jacket. I'm in the process of making scabbard's for both the Tallarn and Attilan. A shoulder pad has also since been added to the Tallarn's right shoulder. I'm awaiting some more blades from Dark Eldar bits suppliers and spikes to add them to the Tallarn's shoulder pad. I'm thinking of making the Light Infantryman resemble a Napoleonic War soldier. I'll see how this goes over the next few times.

Till next time :smile.:

Welcome to the ranks of the Renegades and Heretics. As others have noted, your models are lovely! 

Do you plan on giving all your troopers tartan/do you have any idea what your color scheme will be.

Hopefully we'll get a traitor guard ruleset someday. But the existing R&H FW ruleset has worked decently in casual settings for me til then.

Nostroman 9th R&H, "Hell's horde."

PS I see that you use Anvil Industries. If you haven't already, I strongly encourage you to try out some of their "Bulletproof Mask" heads. Those suckers really have a Traitor Guard/Renegades and Heretics feel to them.

Sharp work! As far as removing spray texture goes - I've had some luck sanding with 400-or-so grit, and I've heard soaking in warm water can help - but the humidity is 80% here for half the year, so I've mostly moved to brush-on.

Everything is great, but boy do I love that diorama of death.

Thanks Juggernut. I created another tile but have parked it for now as I fell out of love painting all the Cadians 

994514_sm-Chaos%20Vs%20Imperial%20Guard%

Welcome to the ranks of the Renegades and Heretics. As others have noted, your models are lovely! 

Do you plan on giving all your troopers tartan/do you have any idea what your color scheme will be.

Hopefully we'll get a traitor guard ruleset someday. But the existing R&H FW ruleset has worked decently in casual settings for me til then.

PS I see that you use Anvil Industries. If you haven't already, I strongly encourage you to try out some of their "Bulletproof Mask" heads. Those suckers really have a Traitor Guard/Renegades and Heretics feel to them.

Hi Tallarn Commander. I don't think I have the patience to paint tartan on all of the traitor's, just the one Fen Guard. I plan on using Blood Red contrast as the main cloth colour with black armour for the non specific regiments. I'm a modeller more than a player so I just convert rather than follow any R&H rules. 

Sharp work! As far as removing spray texture goes - I've had some luck sanding with 400-or-so grit, and I've heard soaking in warm water can help - but the humidity is 80% here for half the year, so I've mostly moved to brush-on.

Thanks tinpact. I tried the soaking in hot water this morning and I scrubbed with a toothbrush but the flakes are still there. I think I need to break out the Fairy Power Spray and try that instead.

Update time:

1115903_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%207%2

I made a Heavy Cavalryman from a Scion body, Anvil Industries head, Dark Vengeance cultist legs, Blackstone fortress Traitor guard feet & shins, Skelton sword and Cadian arms (with gloves made from milliput). You can see the poor, flaky undercoat in this photo that I plan on using some Fairy Power spray to remove and start again.

1115904_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%207%2

I added some spikes and blades to his shoulder pad and a chaos icon on his side.

1115905_sm-Chaos%20Catachan%20Traitor%20

This Catachan used mostly Catachan parts (the shotgun was from a Genestealer Cult arm). I added a chaos icon to his belt as usual.

1115906_sm-Chaos%20Catachan%20Traitor%20

1115907_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%209%2

I've almost finished this Traitor. He has the body from a Blackstone Fortress cultist, a Goliath head, a Catachan sword and arms from Warhammer parts. I really enjoyed sponging on rust and blood onto the spear tip. I just need to base it and this model will be finished.

1115908_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%209%2

Till next time.

Oh boy those conversions are looking sweet but then you've got one painted and I'm super excited. So much detail and personality on units that are basically a horde army in what 4 days? Your a machine and I hope you get some paint on those squats soon too keep it up.

Edit, PS I hope you get your hands on the kill team Death korps guard I'd love to see you working with those bits.

Edited by Mechanist

Sorry Tallarn Commander, I forgot to respond to your PS yesterday. I put in an order from Anvil Industries last night of the Bulletproof mask and the Severed hand mask cultist heads, so I'll add some more troopers in the near future :smile.:

Oh boy those conversions are looking sweet but then you've got one painted and I'm super excited. So much detail and personality on units that are basically a horde army in what 4 days? Your a machine and I hope you get some paint on those squats soon too keep it up.

Edit, PS I hope you get your hands on the kill team Death korps guard I'd love to see you working with those bits.

Thanks for your comments Mechanist. I prefer the converting to painting so prefer to churn out models and then go on a painting splurge. I've just finished another 4 Squats and have another 4 Arkanaut bodies coming from bits shops on the way. I did buy some greens and red paints today in my local Independent store in preparation for painting the squats in the old style of red armour and green fatigues. After my last undercoat priming mishap, I'm loathed to undercoat my latest batch. I want to get some of the new Death korps models but the price needs to come down quite a bit before I take the plunge. :sad.:

Some more Chaos Traitor Guard:

1115909_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%2010%

I wanted to make another Napoleonic type trooper which were based on Anvil Industries torso and head, Cadian Arms and Scion legs. I added a chaos icon to his shako and used some milliput to make backpack straps. The epaulettes were added from a Mordian Guard mould.

1115910_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%2010%

A necromunda blade was added as a bayonet and scabbard and also a Catachan backpack. I need to strip the undercoat and start again.

1115914_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%2013%

This trooper's bearskin came from Anvil Industries with a Dark Vengeance Chaos Cultist body and scion arms and hot-lasgun.

1115915_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%2013%

I bought Fairy Power spray today, so will start the undercoat stripping tomorrow morning.

1115916_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%2014%

and finally today, an Anvil Industries head, Dark Vengeance Chaos Cultist body and I think a Necromunda Orlock shotgun.

1115917_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%2014%

I added a large chaos sword from the bits box for some more close combat action. Plenty more to follow.

Regards, Phil.

Edited by Brother Morgan

1116314_sm-Chaos%20Squat%205%20Front.JPG

I finished another Chaos Squat Beserker. I made a mould of an AoS dwarf head and then sculpted an eye patch with milliput and a small amount of plasticard. I added a pair of Space Wolves knives to his belt alongside 2 Catachan throwing grenade arms with some axes and gloved hands from some Chaos Marauders.

1116315_sm-Chaos%20Squat%205%20Rear.JPG

I added a chainmail cloak from a mould from a Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guardsman and had great fun scooping out loads of milliput to hollow out his helmet before sticking it to his belt.

1116320_sm-Squat%20Size%20Comparison.JPG

For comparison purposes, here's a photo of one of my original plastic squats alongside 2 of my conversions - they are tiny!!

Regards, Phil.

These are such a nice update to the designs of the old minis, that sculpting is seriously clean. Great work!

Thanks Naryn for your comments :smile.:

Use the original squats as ratlings!  Really inspiring work.  

Lol! Thanks for your comments tychobi.

1116312_sm-Chaos%20Squat%204%20Front.JPG

Another squat has been added to my every increasing squad. I used a mould of the original plastic squat with a field cap for a change. A silenced bolt pistol and chainsword was added from a Space Marine Scout as well as the ammo from the plastic Horus Heresy kit. Spikes and blades were added as usual to the shoulder pads. Catachan arms with Chaos Marauder gloves were also used.

1116313_sm-Chaos%20Squat%204%20Rear.JPG

You can see the white plasticard I used for his harness. A helmet was added to his belt as well as an AoS axe.

1116308_sm-Tallarn%20Chaos%20Traitor%20F

I managed to finish my Tallarn Chaos Trooper as well. I used a mould of an original metal Tallarn figure for the head alongside an Anvil Industries greatcoat with the legs from a Dark Vengeance Chaos Cultist. A plasticard harness was added with Cadian arms and an AoS skeleton sword and Dark Eldar knife.

1116309_sm-Tallarn%20Chaos%20Traitor%20R

A lasgun and a scabbard from plasticard were added on the back as well to finish off this model.

Regards, Phil

These are all so awesome. I love the resting pose of that first renegade human trooper.

Thanks acrowsperch. I've had a lot of fun making these and have plenty more conversion idea's in the pipeline :smile.:

Another Chaos Squat:

1116316_sm-Dynamite%2C%20Sculpting%2C%20

I wanted to make a bomb/explosive/demolition expert with this one. I used some dynamite from a Genestealer Cult arm and made a mould to make another one - so he could carry bombs in both hands. It was really hard to get the hands to grasp the dynamite and I ended up using some Electro-priest hands. Not perfect, but enough to give the impression of holding the bombs. I also had to convert a left arm from a Catachan into a right arm ( I made a mould to make more in the future). I used the visor head I created previously on this one, as I thought he would look more like a Bomb Disposal technician.

1116317_sm-Chaos%20Squat%206%20Rear.JPG

I added a Genestealer Jackal backpack containing some dynamite. I also added a Las carbine for his primary weapon.

Another Chaos Squat:

1116318_sm-Chaos%20Squat%207%20Front.JPG

I wanted a Flamer so used a bit from the Blackstone Fortress Chaos Cultist I had spare. I also added a chaos armour on his right fore arm.

1116319_sm-Chaos%20Squat%207%20Rear.JPG

I added some spare fuel cannisters and a Space Marine Sword upon his back.

1116321_sm-Chaos%20Squat%20Squad.JPG

and finally a group shot of the first seven Chaos Squats. I have more in the pipeline and will update soon :smile.:

Regards, Phil.

Update time:

1118031_sm-Chaos%20Squat%208%20Front.JPG

I used a mould of the old Squat head with helmet and sculpted some sun glasses. I re-used a Catachan Lasgun holding right hand to give a "relaxed" pose. I added lots of pouches and grenades as well. A Catachan knife was used as a bayonet.

1118032_sm-Chaos%20Squat%208%20Rear.JPG

A moulded medic backpack was added as well as a rolled blanket taken from a mould from a Scion backpack. A Space Marine scabbard was added to the side of the backpack for the knife he's holding in his left hand. A moulded laspistol holster, a gloved left hand and shoulder pads were also added.

1118033_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%20Fro

I've also finally finished my version of the original plastic Imperial Guard. A mould was taken of the torso and helmeted head from a plastic Imperial Guard I bought when they first came out. I then added Catachan legs and a pair of Cadian arms with the shoulder pads removed and a single pouch on each bicep (just like the original version).

1118034_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%20Rea

I added a chainmail cloak from a mould from the Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guard I have as well as a moulded holstered las pistol.

I have loads more to show. Till next time, Phil.

This is a great looking force, I’ve never had much success with press moulds but yours have come out brilliant. Looking forward to where this all leads, love the older models being given a fresh lease of life as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind comments Biohazard.

Excellent sculpts/moulds. I definitely need to add some of those Traitor Guard models to my Renegades and Heretics force.

Thanks for your comments Tallarn Commander. Please feel free to use any conversions I make as ideas for your force.

Update Time:

1118037_sm-Chaos%20Squat%2010%20Front.JP

For a change, I wanted to go back to the original plastic Squat model that had sleeves with pouches and elbow pads. I used Cadian arms with the shoulder pads removed. Milliput was added to bulk out the arm with a moulded elbow pad. I looked back at the old Squat drawings and fancied doing a reversed baseball cap wearing trooper. I used the bald headed plastic squat head and removed the top of his bonce, and then added the baseball cap. In hindsight, I'm not happy with the angle and think it should sit lower but hey ho! I also added a diagonal pouch across the front. As you know, Squats can never have too many pouches!

1118038_sm-Chaos%20Squat%2010%20Rear.JPG

You can see the elbow pad and pouch on the sleeve in this shot. I also removed the handle on the moulded laspistol holster (as he is firing his laspistol!).

1118045_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%20Fro

I have done another Napoleonic themed trooper here. I used an Anvil Industries head (with a milliput and plasticard eye patch) and torso, with Cadian legs (with a milliput stripe down the leg) and I removed the gaiters to give a more jack boot look. Cadian arms had the shoulder pads removed with milliput added to make some cuffs. I added a chaos icon to the belt and tried to make some tears on the trousers. A mould from a Mordian guard epaulette was used on his left shoulder but I used a piece of plasticard on his right to give the impression of battle damage.

1118046_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%20Rig

This shows his holstered laspistol and the stripe on his legs.

1118047_sm-Chaos%20Traitor%20Guard%20Lef

I added some plasticard straps for his backpack and used a moulded medic backpack with the medic sign removed. A tear in the left elbow was also created. I made sure I used the scabbard with the knife/bayonet removed as he has already placed it on the end of his lasgun. The Imperial Eagle was also scraped off the canteen as well.    

Till next time, Phil.