How might Squats return to the setting?

Skaorn

I still think the most likely scenario for them to return is as a gang in Necromunda given that squats are already back there. 

Would make sense to do a soft launch with Necromunda or Kill Team. Less risk than designing and manufacturing a 40k faction without knowing if people will buy it or not.

I absolutely do believe this is how it will happen. I think the Squats are going to be big in Ashwastes- I think they are perfect as guilders who operate land trains that cross the wastes; I really think the "Terrain" for the Ashwastes box will be a largish land train. In Necromunda: Ashwastes, it will serve as terrain, but because of cross-platform integration, it will have a 40K data card to increase the utility of the kit. I could see a box of foot soldiers and a box of bikers. If they put leader options in the boxes, they can cover HQ's or command squads with the same kits.

I could also see a mixed kit- 5 infantry models, two bikes and a trike. It would be really cool to be able to buy a single box and end up with an MSU infantry unit and an MSU bike squad.

They could also use the Kill Team design space to create an additional unit. 

When you are getting out of the way of a Tyranid fleet you probably disperse over a wide portion of the galaxy. The warp can be fickle where it lets you exit :rolleyes:

Yeah. Also, fiction is pretty malleable, so it’s not like they couldn’t come up with tons of reasonable explanations, should they wish to introduce two different factions to each other. Arguably, the entire setting is a giant excuse to let everybody meet (and fight) everybody else.
yes they can retconn everything and make up whatever new story they want…that doesn’t make it a good idea, just like the introduction of the primaris wasn’t a good idea…luckily they’ve smoothed things out since then.

Let’s hope they don’t have such a rocky start with the reintroduction of the squats

When you are getting out of the way of a Tyranid fleet you probably disperse over a wide portion of the galaxy. The warp can be fickle where it lets you exit :rolleyes:

Yeah. Also, fiction is pretty malleable, so it’s not like they couldn’t come up with tons of reasonable explanations, should they wish to introduce two different factions to each other. Arguably, the entire setting is a giant excuse to let everybody meet (and fight) everybody else.
yes they can retconn everything and make up whatever new story they want…that doesn’t make it a good idea, just like the introduction of the primaris wasn’t a good idea…luckily they’ve smoothed things out since then.

Let’s hope they don’t have such a rocky start with the reintroduction of the squats

Nothing can be as bad as the 'oh they have been here all along on storage, Guilliman was napping so we couldnt do anything about them yet honest' mess. 

Nothing can be as bad as the 'oh they have been here all along on storage, Guilliman was napping so we couldnt do anything about them yet honest' mess.

imho ‘squat empire is suddenly in the other side of the galaxy for no reason except for convenience and now we have an excuse to ally squats with tau’ would be just as bad if not worse.

imho ‘squat empire is suddenly in the other side of the galaxy for no reason except for convenience and now we have an excuse to ally squats with tau’ would be just as bad if not worse.

Yeah I dont trust GW to do a good plot hook any more. I gave up with the splitting of the galaxy to Chaos make seem more of a threat yet they are still punching bags for Guillimans brilliance. May as well just drop a Squat dex and ignore the eaten by Nids thing and pretend they were always there.  

Edited by Slave to Darkness

That would actually be pretty funny. Publish some old artwork with Squats poorly drawn into the background.

Fall of Cadia, Devastation of Baal, defense of Ultramar, Emperor's attack on the Vengeful Spirit.

"See, they were right there the whole time!"

Id be happy with that lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That would actually be pretty funny. Publish some old artwork with Squats poorly drawn into the background.

Fall of Cadia, Devastation of Baal, defense of Ultramar, Emperor's attack on the Vengeful Spirit.

The funny thing is, there were there all along. I have a Horus Heresy game with cardboard Chaos Squat units.

The funny thing is, there were there all along. I have a Horus Heresy game with cardboard Chaos Squat units.

Is that the old first edition of the Horus Heresy wargame? If so never got round to playing that :'(  had many a game of 'Warmaster' though, the free game in WD set on Horus's barge, loads of fun. 

Actually, whats the current lore regarding Ghaz on the planet of Golgotha? The epic batrep for that back in the day was Squats/Yarrick vs Orks, wondered if Squats even get a mention there anymore?. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

The thing I didn't like about the old Squats range was their visual aesthetic. The models shown in the reveal, most of them just silhouettes, have an aesthetic that is far different from their predecessors.

Without further information from GW, it's difficult to guess what they're going to be like, but I get a feeling they'll be elite on par with the Adepta Sororitas, but science-based rather than faith-based. It will be interesting to see how they compare with the Tempestus Scions and the Adeptus Mechanicus, especially in how GW differentiates them from those two factions.

They have returned - FULL FACTION. I say again, FULL FACTION.

Crazy times, squats unsquatted! :v

Yup. I dont think anyone expected full faction straight off. Guess they learned from also those plastic sisters sets they sold :smile.:

Yeah I was wrong I thought it would be necromunda first to test interest. Happy for anyone that wanted them.

They have returned - FULL FACTION. I say again, FULL FACTION.

Crazy times, squats unsquatted! :v

Yup. I dont think anyone expected full faction straight off. Guess they learned from also those plastic sisters sets they sold :smile.:

Yeah I was wrong I thought it would be necromunda first to test interest. Happy for anyone that wanted them.

We may get a Kill Team first. GW did say their advance elements would be the first to arrive.