End of an era: Steel Legion going into retirement

Morning all. Just spotted this on the morning newsletter from GW.

Armageddon for the Steel Legion

The valiant men and women of the Armageddon Steel Legion are finally getting the peaceful retirement they deserve. We're guaranteeing orders for this classic kit until 8th November 2021, when we'll be bidding it a fond farewell.

This kit may take up to 35 days from the final order date to dispatch.

Hopefully means a new plastic kit will surface eventually but still bitter sweet to see a classic kit go

I fear it's more likely they were considered too similar to the new Krieg to justify staying on the store as an old metal/finecast set than another guard kit is coming.

It would be nice to think there is a massive plastic guard release on the horizon. But I tend to agree it is probably krieg are a suitable replacement so they have lost their shelf space.

A bit short of a notice. But i doubt they are too near to the nee dkok but rather they warnt to pick Up the pace to get rid of pewter models

I mean...they've been sold for how many years?

Eh, it's a bit sad but on the other hand...Krieg started as converted Steel Legion, now Steel Legion can be converted Krieg. It's not the end of the world.

GW could close down and it would not be the end of the world. But end of the world is a pretty low bar to use i think.

The fact remains the IG range is getting older and older, and smaller and smaller.

Could be worse of course ( looks at eldar) but having them drop a new regimental line is hardly asking for much.

Edited by nagashnee

Sad to see them go (although I got started on WHFB on 4th Edition first, I got into 40K with the Third War for Armageddon campaign, so it was Salamanders, Black Templars, and Steel Legion). :sad.:

I was surprised to see how good the Death Korps models looked when painted up as Steel Legion (obviously there are several details that aren't right when you look closely, but if you just look quickly, they're close).

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Sad to see them go (although I got started on WHFB on 4th Edition first, I got into 40K with the Third War for Armageddon campaign, so it was Salamanders, Black Templars, and Steel Legion). :sad.:

I was surprised to see how good the Death Korps models looked when

(obviously there are several details that aren't right when you look closely, but if you just look quickly, they're close).

Clearly things come full circle. DKoK got their start many years ago as just the Steel Legion models with an interesting fluff piece and a paint job. Now it will be DKoK model painted as Steel Legion with the lore to back them up.

I was surprised to see how good the Death Korps models looked when

(obviously there are several details that aren't right when you look closely, but if you just look quickly, they're close).

Third War was wonderful - I still remember vividly the big multi battle battle report across two issues of white dwarf. Also the studio Salamanders army was gorgeous, and it was before their still problematic blackface-esque retcon of 5th edition too

Thanks for sharing this video! In terms of details, there is also the chance to kitbash with some wga's kits to get the right details, but that is a gorgeous interpretation of the krieg kit as steel legion.

In my opinion, I think it sucks that they are going out of production. This could mean that they are going to diversify the models more or even expand the range of the Steel Legion.

I doubt it. They're still pushing cadians and just released that Cadian upgrade set not that long ago. At this point I fear regiments will just be in name only and be represented by Cadians. We'll be lucky to get fancy hats. 

The thing with the Steel Legion that I am unsure of is, weren't they in fine-cast resin? I was sure they were no longer in metal. 

I doubt it. They're still pushing cadians and just released that Cadian upgrade set not that long ago. At this point I fear regiments will just be in name only and be represented by Cadians. We'll be lucky to get fancy hats. 

The thing with the Steel Legion that I am unsure of is, weren't they in fine-cast resin? I was sure they were no longer in metal. 

They were/are still metal, unfortunately. If they weren't, I would have had more of them and also more of them actually painted :P

They were/are still metal, unfortunately. If they weren't, I would have had more of them and also more of them actually painted :tongue.:

That surprises me, I thought they had changed. 

I'm the exact opposite give me metal or plastic model, none of that fine cast please. 

I had almost 300 metal steel legion until a bout 5 or 7 years ago. Wonder if I should have kept them. 

Sad to see them go with no replacement. The recent attention Gazgull has been getting and the Old Bale Eye animation made me wonder if the scene was being set for a return to Armageddon, with a new Yarrick maybe some Steel Legionares. I was also hoping the delay to the Guard codex was a sign that good things might be coming to those of us who must wait. But none of the rumours seem to suggest we'll be getting much of anything. 

End of an era indeed. The Third War for Armageddon was my favorite GW event ever, and I eventually ended up with a small army of these guys to play an unforgettable campaign during college. Filled with good memories, these ones. Still, they’re fairly undersized by today’s standards, and very much show their age. Farewell to a stalwart. Edited by Lexington

I never had a Steel Legion army but I did buy a few models to test the concept of a Martian tech guard army. That eventually got replaced by a proper Skitarii force when the Adeptus Mechanicus were released. Despite this I had good memories of the handful of Steel Legion I painted in Martian red., they were nice sculpts. They will be missed.

[/quote

It's a bit sad but on the other hand...Krieg started as converted Steel Legion, now Steel Legion can be converted Krieg. It's not the end of the world.

A common missconception, the converted steel legion kriegers came from codex:armagedon(2000), kriegers originate as part of the drawings and lore of regiments in the orginal 3rd edition guard codex (1999).

End of an era indeed. The Third War for Armageddon was my favorite GW event ever, and I eventually ended up with a small army of these guys to play an unforgettable campaign during college. Filled with good memories, these ones. Still, they’re fairly undersized by today’s standards, and very much show their age. Farewell to a stalwart.

I truly hope they try to reboot it just so we get the models