End of an era: Steel Legion going into retirement

OR they will sell new Apocalypse regiment, a faster stronger regiment from the world of Apocalypse VII which we totally didn't pull out of thin air, along with new regiments for whatever you like. Check out the new Katakan regiment for jungle lovers, again faster and stronger. There are many more to come, all totally new and original regiments!

-read as HEAVY amount jest, taking massively obvious broadsides at space marines and primaris, Guardsmen aren't likely for it but replacement regiments are a possible idea so they can "original character, don't steal" with IP since they can't Copyright Armageddon, Valhalla and various similar things. Mordians and Catachans unlikely to be fair due to unique names-

In my desire to take a broadside at GW for making new legions, came up with one that wasn't too bad, will never happen but would be neat: Amazonian regiment. All female regiment due to the planet having far women than men (explain with wacky warp magics from whenever, just throw a warp storm at it...worked for Tau!), could even possibly make some lore how Sisters of Battle like to recruit there which further enhanced the doctrine of men not being allowed to fight (as they wouldn't be allowed to bare arms due to the law the ecclesiarchy has).

Never would get made by GW but would maybe make for a cool custom regiment, could use ether Mordian or Catachan rules.

It's only surprising to me in that I thought they'd already gone!

I think it could be argued that with the plastic Krieg kit, the Guard range has still had a net gain even with Steel Legion being retired. Krieg share a lot of the same aesthetics and make a perfectly good stand in for them. All we need now is a Command Squad and Heavy Weapon team for them so people can build full forces of them.

It's only surprising to me in that I thought they'd already gone!

I think it could be argued that with the plastic Krieg kit, the Guard range has still had a net gain even with Steel Legion being retired. Krieg share a lot of the same aesthetics and make a perfectly good stand in for them. All we need now is a Command Squad and Heavy Weapon team for them so people can build full forces of them.

Net Gain and Guard are words which do not belong in the same sentence haha. We must be the army with the largest net loss in the past 20 years.

Not sure one Krieg kit (appreciated though it is) quite makes up for the Valhallans, Vostroyans, Tallarns, Mordians, Elysians and now the Steel Legion. Tbh I'm not sure if the plastic Krieg kit makes up for all of the resin ones we've lost over the years, like the Grenadiers, the Squad Firing, the various Heavy Weapons Teams etc. Krieg once had the most varied infantry range of all the Imperial Guard. 

Would love to see a Command Squad & Heavy Weapons Team kit, although given the accuracy of rumours and the notable absence of either, it's probably unlikely for now. 

Edited by MechaMan

they can't Copyright Armageddon, Valhalla and various similar things. 

I fear you're confusing copyright and trademark in the case of names (although it's oft said you can't, you can trademark common words, e.g. Windows, Apple, and Android are all trademarked), as well as the imagery being protected by design rights. :smile.:

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

they can't Copyright Armageddon, Valhalla and various similar things. 

I fear you're confusing copyright and trademark in the case of names (although it's oft said you can't, you can trademark common words, e.g. Windows, Apple, and Android are all trademarked), as well as the imagery being protected by design rights. :smile.:

Yeah, also, the idea that copyright/trademark is a deciding factor in GWs naming policy seems rather misguided. It’s not like calling space elves “aeldari” really prevents anybody from making 3rd party “space elf” minis or conversion bits.

Don’t get me wrong, GW certainly considers copyright/trademark issues, but I think they focus much more on copyrightable designs

When it comes to the IG kits that get phased out, I think a much more likely culprit is that they want to move completely away from metal and finecast. This has been readily apparent for years and this seems like it’s just more of the same.

Sonic Sledgehammer on you tube and twitter has done a steel legion conversion of the dkok models....very simple, basically just shaving the ridge line off of the top of the dkok helmets, then painted them in classic steel legion colours.  I will certainly be replicating this for a full SL army once the dkok kit(s?) are released...its well worth a look

He does some great tutorials.

DKoK as SL is something I've been considering... if I indeed get the kit. It's not perfect for SL, but close enough lacking better options. Of course with my luck if I do go that route, 'lo and behold, plastic SL will finally arrive.

That surprises me, I thought they had changed. 
I'm the exact opposite give me metal or plastic model, none of that fine cast please. 
I had almost 300 metal steel legion until a bout 5 or 7 years ago. Wonder if I should have kept them. 

Plastic is definitely the best, but I'll take resin over metal any day. Much easier painting-wise (and of course conversions where applicaple)... and especially keeping it painted :P

Realistically: If they were going to reboot the range in plastic, they would have kept the old models around until that reboot was ready to launch. There's no reason to have an interim period wherein neither version exists. 

I favor the view that they consider the new Krieg to be a functional replacement.