Daemonic basing ideas

WickedJester1013

Does any one have some cool ideas for daemon bases when I play/collect all for gods? I don’t want some boring grey dirt/rock since I think daemons are some of the wackiest armies and can do cool things with them. Yet I don’t want them to look like 4 completely separate armies.

Thanks!

I think this might be difficult, as having a unified base for an army goes far but it's hard to have much variety without compromising that so viable options would probably be limited. I think the best way to do this would be to have a "base" basing scheme that you add to? As an example, all could have a muddy base but you add snow/grass/whatever to make them different.

Obviously you're after something a bit more different, but hopefully that explains my idea :tongue.: If you can figure out this base then the rest should be easier, but I'm not sure what could fit as something more unusual (or wacky).

Oh interesting, so you are suggesting a normal style base just with all the colors mixed up?

Follow up question, Khorne and nurgle bases would be pretty easy to recognize, just blood and skulls and messed up plants and toxic swamp. What elements of a base would make you look at them and say slaanesh or tzeentch? I feel these two are a little more abstract.

Oh interesting, so you are suggesting a normal style base just with all the colors mixed up?

More or less yes, if they all have the same strange base do it give them a bit of a uniformed look

Follow up question, Khorne and nurgle bases would be pretty easy to recognize, just blood and skulls and messed up plants and toxic swamp. What elements of a base would make you look at them and say slaanesh or tzeentch? I feel these two are a little more abstract.

They have talked about this in some WD, I don't have my collection near me right now so I can't look it up which nr or wha they suggested. I do remember that they suggested crystal-like bases or crystals poping out of the bases for tzeentch forces.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that can be done is add glowing footstep effects, based on the stereotypical colors of the gods (red, pink, green, blue) or whatever you choose.

Essentially this can work on any type of basing material, though it would probably be easier to do with an airbrush. At least with my skills/sensibilities. I’m sure there is an easy enough way to do it with a bristle brush as well.

My method would be to figure out where the model is going to be stepping on the base, paint a white glow first, then build up the color on top of the white as you desire. Brightest glow closest to/beneath the feet and then fades.

I like this idea because one can use the same basing scheme/background for all models, and then differentiate the types of demons with the glowing colors.

Edited by Juggernut

I really like Juggernut's idea, but it could be tough to implement on smaller bases.  Maybe if you did the back half on smaller bases, and then correspondingly smaller portions of larger bases?  For example, if on your largest bases the "corrupted" zone was, say, the rearmost quarter, that would help carry across the idea the demons are bringing the corruption even for those models where some of it isn't strictly right behind the model.