New ork player here!

FollowerofDG

I recently was given an ork army from my dad…how cool? However, I haven’t played since 5th edition and I need some help with what units are good. I have a death guard army, but the green dudes are a different route completely. Just some advice about what units are good would be awesome. I’m going to list what I’ve acquired as well. The idea behind the army is the Hulk; big, green, smash. So clearly I’d like to go the Goff route. And no one has seen a purple ork, right?

• I did purchase the new Gaz model - hence, my Hulk

• war boss

• weird boy

• war boss in a bike

• 55+ boys with choppas and shootas

• 30+ boys with shootas

• maybe 15-20 Nobs; 10-15 have a power klaw while the rest have big choppas

• 15ish gretchin

• I guess 6 big shootas and 6 rokkit launchers

• 22 burna boys

• old pain boy

• maybe 5-10 kommandos…hard to tell because those models are pretty old…like lead old.

• 10 storm boyz, Nob with a klaw

• 6 or 8 bikes, Nob with a klaw

• boosta blasta

• pain boy, old like the kommandos

• 6 or 8 war bikes

• 2 deff dreads, both with 3 klaws and a schorchas

• 6 killa kans, believe the have shootas

• mega dread

• 10 lootas

• 4 trucks

• stompa

There are also some things that are listed as “legends,” whatever that means. A little help or guidance would be fantastic.

Im really leaning towards a bunch of boys, some trucks, burna boys, storm boyz, Gaz and a weird boy. Maybe expand from there?

Thanks everyone!

Are you wanting to play casually or competitively? If casually, I think you've got a great collection to draw fun armies from. If competitively, I'll let some else chime in as I don't roll that way.

• 1 month later...

That is a nice hoard you got there.

I'm more of a toyz before boyz type, so I like lots of Dreads, Kanz, Bikers, and Buggies. But running a ton of infantry still seems to be pretty effective, though the new moral rules hurt ork infantry alot. At the same time most people gear their armies up more for hard targets now, rather then hoard clearing. So its a bit harder for alot of armies to clear a ton of boyz. Just gotta avoid anyone with lots of flamers.

• 5 months later...

So I’ve been working on my list, and I am pretty comfortable with the set up. However, I’m realizing that the Ork codex has many updates and things. Where exactly can I find the codex updates? Or are the updates in other rulebooks or White Dwarfs? Sorry to ask, but I’ve been out of the hobby for about 15 years, and I’m trying to get back into playing, not just painting.
Thanks for any help!

I’ll create a thread with my army before long. 

No need to be sorry! It's phenomenal that GW is taking a more involved approach at dealing with issues in their game, but it comes at the cost of decentralizing our rules. It'd be great if we had a stellar, reliable digital solution, like, say, an app, but we don't*, so we have to make due with what we have.

You can find the Ork FAQ here, which includes errata and changes to the codex itself.
You can find the current dataslate here, which has some rules changes.
The current point values are here (Orks start on page 35).
Finally, if you're playing matched play missions, you'll be able to purchase the latest Chapter Approved, which has the current mission set, and includes updated faction secondaries.

Other resources include the Core rules FAQ and the Forgeworld FAQ.

*=the current app is neither stellar nor reliable, and certainly isn't a solution for anything.

Edited by toaae

16 hours ago, toaae said:

No need to be sorry! It's phenomenal that GW is taking a more involved approach at dealing with issues in their game, but it comes at the cost of decentralizing our rules. It'd be great if we had a stellar, reliable digital solution, like, say, an app, but we don't*, so we have to make due with what we have.

You can find the Ork FAQ here, which includes errata and changes to the codex itself.
You can find the current dataslate here, which has some rules changes.
The current point values are here (Orks start on page 35).
Finally, if you're playing matched play missions, you'll be able to purchase the latest Chapter Approved, which has the current mission set, and includes updated faction secondaries.

Other resources include the Core rules FAQ and the Forgeworld FAQ.

*=the current app is neither stellar nor reliable, and certainly isn't a solution for anything.

Toaae, thank you very much! Since trying to relearn all the rules, I’ve noticed there are updates, FAQ’s, and whatnot seems to be everywhere.