New Supplements, New Primaris Units

L30n1d4s

Ive said what I want to see for DA...robes...on everything. 

Now for those other lesser chapters...the most obvious for IF would be a unit with breacher/siege shields. Or...bolters akimbo

Again though, this is the same problem I have with suggesting that a Shrike-pattern jump squad would be a unique Raven Guard squad.

Breachers would fit into any Space Marine company (okay, ironically maybe NOT so much Raven Guard). Why would GW - a company which I hope we can all agree LOVES MONEY - cripple potential sales by limiting purchases to just those people who collect a single chapter (and, sorry Valrak, not even one of the most popular)?

I definitely think such a Breacher-type unit is on the way, just like I think Shrike-pattern jumpy dudes will happen. But there needs to be much more of a hook before GW will make them chapter-specific.

Thunderwolf Cavalry? Yeah, I'm pretty sure when we see a Primaris version of those, they'll be Wolves-only. But that's because they'd be completely out of place anywhere else.

IF-only Breachers? Maybe five or ten years from now AFTER they've wrung most of the sales they figure they're liable to get from a generic Breacher squad.

Now for those other lesser chapters...the most obvious for IF would be a unit with breacher/siege shields. Or...bolters akimbo

Bladeguard; theyve got you covered ;-)

Oh I know...just a little DA bling is all it takes. 

Again though, this is the same problem I have with suggesting that a Shrike-pattern jump squad would be a unique Raven Guard squad.

Breachers would fit into any Space Marine company (okay, ironically maybe NOT so much Raven Guard). Why would GW - a company which I hope we can all agree LOVES MONEY - cripple potential sales by limiting purchases to just those people who collect a single chapter (and, sorry Valrak, not even one of the most popular)?

I definitely think such a Breacher-type unit is on the way, just like I think Shrike-pattern jumpy dudes will happen. But there needs to be much more of a hook before GW will make them chapter-specific.

Thunderwolf Cavalry? Yeah, I'm pretty sure when we see a Primaris version of those, they'll be Wolves-only. But that's because they'd be completely out of place anywhere else.

IF-only Breachers? Maybe five or ten years from now AFTER they've wrung most of the sales they figure they're liable to get from a generic Breacher squad.

I get that. I guess its dual wielding bolt rifles for IF then

Some of it's bleed from 30k and wanting as fleshed out first founding/original legions.

Somewhat hard to pick for some chapters as some are more defined than others. Can't really think of something for Fists in example but Iron Hands despite their low profile it's easy. Gorgon Terminator esque for example, bespoke terminator primaris squad with extensive cybernetic modifications in design and ruleswise extra FNP and various upgrades to pick to represent whatever 5G modules they've equipped

Some of it's bleed from 30k and wanting as fleshed out first founding/original legions.

Somewhat hard to pick for some chapters as some are more defined than others. Can't really think of something for Fists in example but Iron Hands despite their low profile it's easy. Gorgon Terminator esque for example, bespoke terminator primaris squad with extensive cybernetic modifications in design and ruleswise extra FNP and various upgrades to pick to represent whatever 5G modules they've equipped

...and we're back to the same problem.

While I agree that a "bespoke Terminator Primaris squad" would fit the Iron Hands, we don't even have a *generic* Terminator Primaris squad yet. And I can't see the Iron Hands being the only chapter that would get a Terminator squad.

So yes, I could see a bespoke Terminator Primaris for the Iron Hands... but only in a world where there's a generic Terminator Primaris squad (or more than one) available to everyone else (I refer you back to the first rule of 40K: "GW LOVES MONEY!")

Bespoke Breacher squad for the Imperial Fists, absolutely eventually... but only in a world where there's a generic Breacher squad available to everyone else (I refer you to the second rule of 40K: "GW LOVES MONEY!")

But that's because they'd be completely out of place anywhere else.

To be fair, blade guard are out of place anywhere but BT :wink:

One of the first bits of art for them had them as BA too :D looked lovely with the dark grey tabards and golden details :P

I do generally agree that it’s likely most chapters unique units will be variations on existing kits, which may or may not get some additional model support either through a new kit or through new upgrade sprues

One of the first bits of art for them had them as BA too :biggrin.: looked lovely with the dark grey tabards and golden details :tongue.:

I do generally agree that it’s likely most chapters unique units will be variations on existing kits, which may or may not get some additional model support either through a new kit or through new upgrade sprues

They may try stuff out, and then do more depending on whether it works out or not. There's some safe bets, like if they make a Terminator or Bladeguard DA Deathwing kit, that'll sell.

Where I see that unfortunate, is things like Hounds of Morkai, which are a great premise, but they just didn't pull through. It's cool to see something with the Cult of Morkai, they did and should have done stuff with that. But if it's just a paintjob difference that doesn't add much, it just ends up as a bit of a shame.

One of the first bits of art for them had them as BA too :biggrin.: looked lovely with the dark grey tabards and golden details :tongue.:

They may try stuff out, and then do more depending on whether it works out or not. There's some safe bets, like if they make a Terminator or Bladeguard DA Deathwing kit, that'll sell.

Where I see that unfortunate, is things like Hounds of Morkai, which are a great premise, but they just didn't pull through. It's cool to see something with the Cult of Morkai, they did and should have done stuff with that. But if it's just a paintjob difference that doesn't add much, it just ends up as a bit of a shame.

don't disagree, i just think people need to temper their expectations and not assume they're all getting the BT treatment

don't disagree, i just think people need to temper their expectations and not assume they're all getting the BT treatment

And even if they do get something, like the Hounds of Morkai, it might suck is another thing they may need to temper expectations on.

I think the big 3 can all expect BT treatments, question is just when.

But if we analyze the BT treatment, it didnt really add anything that was completely new: it was all the special characters, squads and an unnamed marshal and castellan.

Big three has similiar portfolios, so not too out there to expect the same for them, so dante & gang, death company marines and sanguinary guard for BA for instance is not a hard sell. But multiple new chararters, 2 entirely new squad types might be a harder sell for raven guard or salamanders.

I'd not be too surprised if we see some new additional non big 3 characters as well, but again is a wuestion of 'when'

Going by Exarch loadout and loadouts for previewed Marine characters we seem to be going back to multiweapon options and that would give much more options of soft/semi new units be it some BA with 2 handed swords or SW axeguard, or even weapon options like that for some of their characters

Keep in mind BT Refresh wasn’t actually that MASSIVE what it did:

Replace 4 Finecast Kits (3 Chars + SBros) and replaced an Intercessor Variant. Not to say it wasn’t a big release. But looking at what actually happened.

5 Characters Kits (3 Replacements for Finecast. 5 rescupt. 4 new sculpts)

2 Unit Kits (1 finecast replacement/resculpt, 1 new)

1 Upgrade Kit (which everyone got)

Which is admittedly 8 new kits. But BT also ‘lost’ 5 kits (1 plastic, 4 finecast). And more relavently BT didn’t have functionally UU really beside Crusader An Cenos until this book.

the BT upgrade sprue sure blows the BA/DA/SW ones out of the water, but those already looked a bit lackluster compared to the RG/Sals/WS/etc ones

Grey Knights hopefully just get the CSM height implant treatment

To be twir the OG upgrade sorew also blew it out of the water

the BT upgrade sprue sure blows the BA/DA/SW ones out of the water, but those already looked a bit lackluster compared to the RG/Sals/WS/etc ones

Grey Knights hopefully just get the CSM height implant treatment

To be twir the OG upgrade sorew also blew it out of the water

not entirely comparable though as the upgrade sprue was literally how you made crusaders previously. The new BT sprue is pure bonus awsomeness

Maybe a positive sign that the Gravis Captain and Ancient will be going up for pre-order soon - YouTuber Glass Half Dead has assembled copies of each model in his latest video. I'm including a link, but there's zero in the way of new information. He doesn't even do a closeup of either model.

As Glass Half Dead IS a reviewer focused on Kill Team, this COULD mean that the new models will show up first in a Kill Team box... or it might just mean he was one of the few willing to sign his life away with that ridiculous new NDA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmLO33uXGaM

Maybe a positive sign that the Gravis Captain and Ancient will be going up for pre-order soon - YouTuber Glass Half Dead has assembled copies of each model in his latest video. I'm including a link, but there's zero in the way of new information. He doesn't even do a closeup of either model.

As Glass Half Dead IS a reviewer focused on Kill Team, this COULD mean that the new models will show up first in a Kill Team box... or it might just mean he was one of the few willing to sign his life away with that ridiculous new NDA.

He says Sword Brethrwn wouldve made a cool kill team, but theyre not

And hes just lined them up with new Characters so my guess would be maybe the NDA not KT

• 4 weeks later...

If we go back to codex compliant chapters, it makes less sense for them to get bespoke units, though the canon is a bit loose, unlike non codex compliant chapters like SW/BA/DA

Mainly though Id say it would be a sales/sales priority issue. For GW its not just that say a Fists or Raven Guard unit mighnt sell shedloads but they could do generic unit X instead and make buckets more money. Characters have the better margin

They also like selling a unit AND an upgrade sprue to us

BA are codex compliant though. They’re about as compliant as their flaws can allow.

The most compliant chapter, UMs have a unique unit, and with guilliman back and redoing the codex, that’s all irrelevant now.

I don't think compliance or not with the Codex Astartes is relevant to whether a unique unit makes sense. What matters is the cohesiveness of those chapters over the last 10,000 years. The Blood Angels have maintained their Sanguinary Guard, and most importantly have maintained the Sanguinary Priests and Death Company due to the nature of the Black Rage.

The Dark Angels have essentially maintained a legion command structure with those unique elements directly implemented and strong adherence to the same way of warfare across all the chapters.

So I think when we think whether a chapter 'makes sense' to have unique units with its successors is more a function of how much they've stuck together over 10,000 years, not necessarily their adherence to the organization of the Codex Astartes.