Dire Wolf Heavy Scout Titan

Joe

The Battle Bunnies Review is excellent, as is the

they did along with it.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these, as I think that most of the "ills" of the kit can be corrected with some mild cutting/repositioning.

I really can’t get over how poorly the official photos showed it compared to ones we’ve seen since - either that or it’s just really, really grown on me.

The neutron laser one had a far better paint job, which I think helped. And since then we've seen people able to play with the posing, and from what I've seen from the reviews, this is the most posable titan in the game bar the Warmaster. (And maybe the Warbringer, I dunno, never built one.)

I don’t get the impression it’s more posable than a warlord, actually. That has ball and socket Joints in the thighs and this doesn’t, just an axle. Bendy knees make it more posable than a warhound though, even if the ankle pistons are awkward.

I don’t know how I’ll do mine yet. I like running poses for warhounds but for this it would be cooler to be stalking - only that might be tricky to pull off.

Edited by Mandragola

I've just grabbed mine. I went with the Neutron laser as new weapons are always cool. I cant see the need for a Volcano cannon when I have Reavers packing them. The review on Goonhammer got my interest so I figured I'd give one a go. I'm still not 100% sure on the model though.

Tempted to run it in a Legio Fortidus Exterigmis maniple for a cheeky Str9 shot :biggrin.:

Edited by Lord_Borak

Didnt the Battle bunnies review notably complain a bit about posability?

Yes, they said the ankle pistons were a bit of a pain, which limits what you can do somewhat.

Mine’s in the post. I’ll have a proper look at what can be done with it. I hoped it would arrive yesterday but it looks like I won’t get it till Monday now.

Mine has arrived, along with some Armigers. I actually built a banner of them first because I was curious to see how small they are (answer: really quite small). Hopefully I'll get the Dire Wolf built tonight and share some pics and thoughts.

Initial impressions are that it's a nice model. No print lines or any of those issues that we've sometimes seen. The hull and main gun fit together well.

I've also just placed an order for a Dire Wolf and some Armigers. The DW has been out of stock for two or three times already here, so I'd rather have one before it stays for long.

I'm curious just how small the Armigers are going to be next to the DW, all of them being in the same price bracket... Points wise, the DW scores about 3:1.

Value for money, the Dire Wolf wins hands down, both in terms of weight of resin, and also points value in game. It’s not exactly cheap (it’s FW after all!) but it’s a much lower price point than I was expecting!

The Armigers are *very* cute, however.

Edited by General Zodd

It turned out that one of my Helverins came with two right-handed autocannons and no leftie. I've emailed FW for a replacement. Actually, I was then able to do a bit of very tiny surgery on it, more or less fixing the issue. You definitely can't tell it's an issue now - not that anyone would have noticed in the first place.

52108481355_7152d4a987_c.jpg

Meanwhile my actual Dire Wolf's pose is sorted. I'm quite happy with how it's come out. It looks like it's going along I think, perhaps a bit faster than I'd really intended.

52108036715_01659042ba_c.jpg

I don't like the model's arms. They're magnetised and it's possible I'll do something different. The big armour plate that doesn't actually protect anything much is irritating and they stick out much further than they should. In a way it's appropriate that it looks sort of awkward. It makes it look like a bit of a bodged and inelegant build. I'm thinking of painting it with some Lucius iconography on, giving a sort of hint that it's a bit of a cross between a Titan and an admech ordinatus thing - a platform for an experimental weapon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, General Zodd said:

Value for money, the Dire Wolf wins hands down, both in terms of weight of resin, and also points value in game. It’s not exactly cheap (it’s FW after all!) but it’s a much lower price point than I was expecting!

The Armigers are *very* cute, however.

I got ahead of myself when my Dire Wolf arrived, forgetting that I had itended to weigh it. Anyway, mine is ~52,6 g including the 80 mm base, some sand/soda, some paint, some magnets/screwheads... I'd estimate the netto resin parts at around 43-45 g, equalling to very precisely 1 €/g. The points/price ratio is 5,80±0,23, depending on loadout.

In comparison, the Armigers come at 11,86 g/€ (cleaned parts only, a Helverin is 1,23 and each Warglaive 1,24 g. This time I remembered), equalling on 2,16±0,23 points/€. A rather clear result. I agree, however, on their cuteness. :biggrin:

On 5/29/2022 at 11:31 PM, Mandragola said:

It turned out that one of my Helverins came with two right-handed autocannons and no leftie. I've emailed FW for a replacement. Actually, I was then able to do a bit of very tiny surgery on it, more or less fixing the issue. You definitely can't tell it's an issue now - not that anyone would have noticed in the first place.

That's funny: I got mine with two left autocannons and none for its right. I decided to use it without surgery, because that's a really small detail on a really fragile part. Sure, the ejection slit is now facing towards the body instead of outward, but you'd have to look really close to recognise. Anyway, I also wrote a polite email to FW, getting an answer about some loose mail order troll fussing with already packed orders or something. In the end, I received another box of Armigers as "replacement". For all that it's worth, chapeau to the FW customer service - very "hobby-y", polite and forthcoming!

With that, I end up with a €/g ratio that's only about 6 times in favour of the Dire Wolf, and a €/points ratio that's almost comparable to that of the Dire Wolf.

Concerning the Dire Wolf: I was very content with cast quality and I agree with the Internet that the kit looks better than in the original previews. It can be somewhat dynamic, although the toe pistons were unnecessarily complex. They come in two parts each, suggesting maximum poseability, but I actually found there's rather little room for extension due to the shortness of the rods. It might have helped if they made the rods a mm or so longer, allowing for actual flexibility. Nonetheless, a nice and quite affordable piece! :yes:20" border="0"></a>