The slow awakening of my Szarekhan legion [painting blog]

Spyros

The necropolis awakens! Hail Szarekh!

I wasn't planning on starting a Necron army, it was only after the insistence of my daughter that I decided to keep the Necrons of the Indomitus box.

And I 'm glad I did, they are so much fun to paint! Easier than my Blood Angels too!

So I shall record here my slow progress in painting my first ever Necrons of the Szarekhan dynasty.

I chose the Szarekhan colors because of rule of cool, I like how the look (and they are the Silent King's own). And I intend to play them as such.

So here are the first to awaken!

gallery_93095_16763_78218.jpg

gallery_93095_16763_73269.jpg

gallery_93095_16763_519781.jpg

DSC 0370

DSC 0369

gallery_93095_16763_193498.jpg

Looks great! Is it color shift paint?

No, it's the lighting I guess.

The Necron bodies are painted with leadbelcher and runelord brass, then passed over with a bit of agrax earthshade.

The Canopteks have additionally canopteck alloy on their carapaces.

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive work.

Thank you!

It's just basic painting, white undercoat, a thick (LOL) layer of paint, and Agrax Earthshade.

I actually find Necrons a lot easier to paint than Space Marines.

• 4 months later...

Every now and again I shine a light inside my Spyder to remind myself I painted the inside as well, definitely the most hidden detail you could get to!

The brass is looking great. Is it just the lighting or is the Seraptek lighter than the other models you've done? Not that it looks weird or anything just can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

I used the same method, white undercoat and runelord brass. One explanation could be that because of its size it's closer to the light, another could be that because of the bigger surface it may needed a bit extra color. 

Note that like my Canopteks, the Seraptek's body carapace is  Canoptek Alloy, not the brass, and that's lighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys!

The paint scheme is very simple, leadbelcher and runelord brass (a wonderful color). The glow is just tesseract glow, very useful. And just finishing all that is agrax earthshade.