SoT book 7: Echoes of Eternity - Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Ubiquitous1984

Knew Lotara would feature after a Twitter post a year or two ago. Amit and Kargos are a surprise though. Feels surreal we're finally getting the Angelbowl after that titbit left in Betrayer and the Lorgar/Anggrath salt Aurelian generated 11 years ago during happier days

I truly hope the release is sped up partly because I wouldn't mind a Black Legion 3 release for Christmas, and GW seem to hate dropping big titles by the same author close together nowadays

Is Black Legion 3 done? ADB’s recent post wasn’t indicative of anything else coming soon unfortunately.

I doubt it but I don't see why it would need a year-long turnaround like Echoes seemingly has :cry:

Knew Lotara would feature after a Twitter post a year or two ago. Amit and Kargos are a surprise though. Feels surreal we're finally getting the Angelbowl after that titbit left in Betrayer and the Lorgar/Anggrath salt Aurelian generated 11 years ago during happier days

I truly hope the release is sped up partly because I wouldn't mind a Black Legion 3 release for Christmas, and GW seem to hate dropping big titles by the same author close together nowadays

Is Black Legion 3 done? ADB’s recent post wasn’t indicative of anything else coming soon unfortunately.

I doubt it but I don't see why it would need a year-long turnaround like Echoes seemingly has :cry:
A year from final draft submission to publication is pretty average for BL from what ADB’s said. BL seemingly wanted Echoes out early and then had to delay it to September (if that is the correct date). Edited by cheywood

Specifically Heresy-era?

Uh... there's Fear to TreadVirtues of the Sons, and Sins of the Father that I can recall he actually has meaningful parts in.

Honestly though, I'm not sure I can recommend re-reading any of those. Fear to Tread is well-known and contentious. VotS/SotF are both very short stories that really don't go into much more than "Blood Angels look pretty but are mean and angry inside."

I think the shorts are fine regarding Amit and Azkaellon. They also allow for some more Lucius humbling, which is always nice to see. Amit's story in particular is about restraint, iirc. He's always been a hothead, and it's only gotten worse post-Heresy.

There should be a Flesh Tearers Space Marine Battles omnibus, which collects the Andy Smillie stories together. Looks like BL purged the book from the website, though. It includes the two Amit novellas, Flesh of Cretacia and Sons of Wrath, but not the limited edition short from the latter (which is actually interesting and featured Guilliman, iirc)

Pretty much all the big development of Amit as a character happened post-Heresy in the fiction. He's been very much treated like an unloved stepchild since Fear to Tread. What we do know from the novellas is that he's hard against the splitting of the Legions, is ticked off at Raldoron and Azkaellon for supporting it (or as he sees it being broken down after Sanguinius' death and thus not opposing it) and that he's got quite a complex about the end of the Siege in general.

Having him absent from this part of the narrative would be a big big oof. Kinda like Garro not even laying eyes on Mortarion before he gets banished, or Lucius being MIA somewhere.

Anticipation at critical levels !

Two points of interest in the article :

Rogal Dorn is encircled, fighting his own war at Bhab Bastion.

Wondering how he links up with the Emperor and Sanguinius for the boarding of the Vengeful Spirit (unless they teleport from two separate locations).

I like this. I like the idea of Dorn and the Emperor/Sanguinius making plans to board the Vengeful Spirit over vox or psychic conversation, rather than all heading out together. It makes little sense that Dorn and all his Imperial Fists would get scattered away from Sanguinius and the Blood Angels, if they were teleporting together. Feels too clean a separation.

Having this changed to them being in physically different locations, using different teleport stations, and Dorn trying to link up, growing more desperate with every moment aboard the Vengeful Spirit that he can't find either the Angel nor Dad, adds a different spin on it. It's frustration about the odds and the ship being a hellpit, rather than "damn warp split us apart!".

It becomes less about Chaos throwing a wrench into the works in a way that Dorn cannot affect or prevent, and more about him failing to achieve something he believes to be within his control, with boots on the ground. Much more powerful way to break down the Praetorian, to make him feel inadequate in conquering obstacles than giving a warp magic excuse as for why he fails by default. He'd have to ask himself if he could've risked a crossing to the palace proper, if he got held up at Bhab for too long, if he could've changed anything to make things work. This would fall away the moment the story goes "see you on the other side" with him, Sanguinius and the Emperor standing next to one another on the same teleport spot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If Sanguinius breaks Angron's back after unlocking his inner rage powerup, then goes on to give Horus a hard fight in Abnett's book... i can feel the shackles that hold my cold medusan rage in check straining already.

Seriously though, i've a feeling if this fight happens it is going to sadly dominate discussion of the book online. ADB seems to have ended up in a place (through no fault of his own) where his depiction here could break the threat of the daemon primarchs.

So many "close...but not quite" defeats, or outright mental breakdowns by now.  Each somewhat justifiable on their own, but adding up to me really not needing to see another rerun.

I rather lost track of this thread during the shut-down. Has it been confirmed Sanguinius is fighting Angron and not Ka’bandha? I remember in the (very) old fluff, they had a stare-down but didn't actually come face-to-face.

It's speculation; on account of Fear to Tread, which had Sanguinius defeating Ka'bandha on Signus, lots of people think there'd be no dramatic impact to having them go at it again at the Siege.

With Angron a daemon primarch and rampaging nigh-unstoppably in the current Siege story, lotta people think he and Sanguinius will confront one another at some point.

13 hours ago, Fedor said:

If Sanguinius breaks Angron's back after unlocking his inner rage powerup, then goes on to give Horus a hard fight in Abnett's book... i can feel the shackles that hold my cold medusan rage in check straining already.

Seriously though, i've a feeling if this fight happens it is going to sadly dominate discussion of the book online. ADB seems to have ended up in a place (through no fault of his own) where his depiction here could break the threat of the daemon primarchs.

So many "close...but not quite" defeats, or outright mental breakdowns by now.  Each somewhat justifiable on their own, but adding up to me really not needing to see another rerun.

ADB has brought this upon himself imo. In Betrayer, Lorgar more or less lets slip that his plans for Angron involve an eventual showdown with Sanguinius, and he scoffs at Horus' and Erebus' own scheme for him at Signus; and the events in Aurelian where Lorgar defeats a very prominent Bloodthirster in Anggrath had a very clear knock-on effect for the Sanguinius vs. Kabandha duel. I was never really invested in the whole thing, but I remember reading a lot of indignation and salt online in 2011 about it - some of which may very well be on this forum's archives

TBH I have zero issue with Sanguinius beating up Angron. ADB's depiction of Damnedgron is head and shoulders above other authors', even Abnett's and French's. He actually feels like one of the Blood God's mightiest lieutenants who might as well have crawled out of the deepest pit of Angband, and whose mere presence on your world thousands of kilometres away forfeits your life to the Inquisition. To have Sanguinius, a single being, challenge and overcome this monstrosity, in single combat, alone, when it would go on to take over a hundred of the 41st Millennium's Imperium's absolute most cutting edge and experimental troops to merely banish in pyrrhic fashion at a borderline irrecoverable cost is a nice way to reinforce how fabled and legendary and magnificent and lost the days of the Horus Heresy were compared to 'now' - despite GW's recent attempts to conflate 30k and 40k as much as possible. It sort of reminds me of the Black Legion series where both books are written very much in the shadow of the Heresy/Siege/Scouring, where the Chaos Space Marines are like orphaned children squabbling over their parents' legacies and belongings, and no matter what plots they hatch and victories they achieve, it is all dwarfed in comparison to The Better Days

But I do agree these primarch duels where Big Armour Dude #11 almost beats Big Armour Dude #13 and ''You may have won today, Big Armour Dude, but I'll see you next time!'' is very boring but it is what it is, and for those that don't like it we have our Black Legion series and Sabbat Worlds sandbox and whatnot :wub:

Edited by Bobss

16 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I rather lost track of this thread during the shut-down. Has it been confirmed Sanguinius is fighting Angron and not Ka’bandha? I remember in the (very) old fluff, they had a stare-down but didn't actually come face-to-face.

Its not confirmed outright but a) the jacket synopsis strongly hints at it and b) the Warcom site recently had an article on the book also strongly hinting at a showdown, which lead to Valrak making a video about it.

If I remember correctly it was also teased in a previous book in the Siege where Sanguinious clearly state he will fight Angron "later" (as he saw it in one of his visions).

Edited by Dried

Gods I don't have much time to catch up on the Siege and I'm barley through Solar War. Excited to see Lotarra, Kargos and Zephon again, especially Lotarra. I bet she's doing great

45 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

Just remembered I still hadn't read that Rose Watered in Blood short about her. And it's been a while since I read the Khârn-related short from Goulding. Might need a refresher.

It's really good! I won't spoil it, but everyone has a great time and things are going super well for everyone involved. :P

According to WarCom, it will not be Angron who Sanguinius squares off against before the Ultimate Gate.

As we know from Black Library’s awesome Siege of Terra series, Sanguinius survived his duel and went on to battle Ka’bandha once more – you can find out how the rematch unfolds* when Echoes of Eternity arrives later this year. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/15/signus-slam-2022-kabandha-takes-on-sanguinius-in-an-epic-horus-heresy-rematch/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=the-horus-heresy&utm_content=khabanda'sbattles&fbclid=IwAR2-eYa_iJhm5y3Kz9D9fSeTCoXLnhLshxJ1U2UKILlYoRwm9enM148ls4w