The Diseased Sons are back

Muskie

Nice update! On your comment on Wraithbone; I love the primer, but the pots are always chalky/grainy to me. I use Vallejo Ivory as my brush on off white of choice.

I think the extra bodies in your plague marine squad will probably help the special weapon guys stay alive longer, at least.

I too like Vallejo but I was originally worried my beiges wouldn't match, but now I think I'm not going to worry so much, I paint Nurgle. I have a new pot. I have had trouble with some paint I've bought recently and I also paint out of the pot often, or at least sometimes, but some paint seems to handle that better than others. GW was like you have to use our special primer... also the special contrast medium. I do use the latter, I think that is one of the secrets getting your paint thinned just right. My wraith bone if it was too thin wouldn't cover bare plastic, but gooping it on obscured details. The best system in my mind is to prime the base and model, but lots of people like to paint models in pieces. I have done that and yeah I guess assembly line resin bases is a thing, but these models are old, the paint jobs are old and plenty good enough, I'm just trying to modernize them and get them fitting into one army.

We play in an hour or so, not sure I'll get to use the new guys. We play 35 PL so plenty of models get to sit out every game. 

I thought everyone painted in pieces when I first started. Now I just prime the entire based model at once. If it's hard to get to a spot to paint, it's hard to see if I don't paint it, is how I look at it.

I do love contrast paints though. They are probably one of my favorite hobby tools in the last decade, personally. Some are, of course, much better than others.

Edited by Marshall Mittens

• 2 weeks later...

Bagonhead has become a cult hero, the odds were against him that one game, but when you only have one model on the table, you think very carefully where to position him and you use your command points to keep him alive. 

Boris is old and undersized and probably not optimally armed for the current edition, but I am such a slow painter and I don't really want to do a second defiler. I do have the official model in a box somewhere, I might use it for Chaos Undivided or we'll see if I go back to my roots and do Nurgle Renegades post new Chaos Codex. But for this campaign I'm committed to the Death Guard Codex and sticking with my Chosen Sons theme. 

Not everyone likes my jokes, there isn't a lot of ROI to spending that much time writing about a single game of Warhammer 40,000. I guess I want to stay in the past a bit, but we want to encourage narrative play and doing things for fun or for theme, rather than all optimal Plague Marine squads especially if the Internet thinks the optimal Death Guard army has no plague marines, inconceivable.

We decided on no games this weekend. The store has an event on. The movie about the store came out on Thursday. I went to the premier. Now I need to find a link...

I will try to do some painting, but so far this weekend I'm moving slow. I need to finish one spawn for the pledge then back to plague marines.

So games are back on, Stumpy Spawn of Chaos was declared done last night, not my best work, but definitely battle standard and I tried out yet more Contrast Paint and non-GW paint and old GW paint and I learned a valuable lesson on cleaning models again, so far it has not broken. It is an old multi-piece metal model I got second hand so it was not cleaned or assembled perfectly so I too missed mold lines until after I primed it, so I sanded them off then put grey on top of it. I think little bits of metal got in my grey, but it's a spawn so I just worked with it, but paint kept rubbing off too, so that is what I'm doing now, re painting the rim of the base again, but I'll try to get some pictures and blog post up this weekend. 

Today is another campaign game day. Some people played on Tuesday as they want to catch up as they can't always make it on the weekend, but the usual cast of characters will be there along with a new face which I apparently painted in 2009, but I've increased his base size and now he will lead the Scarlet Fevers into battle. Purple I is actually the second oldest Diseased Sons squad.

52073140929_4990d26541_z.jpgPlague Marine Champion by Andrew McKay, on Flickr

Thanks again for writing up a fun batrep. Your dry wit is hilarious. It's too bad you went from up to down so quickly. If it weren't for that darn Wraith Lord.

It's too bad you cannot gain experience for enemy units that flee off the board.

Yes, you might want to upgrade your Chaos Lord's power maul to a powerfist. My Death Guard Chaos Lord Evita has a pair of lightning claws and they don't do too much damage either. So I should also upgrade her melee weapon as well.

How do you plan on getting a more mobile Sorcerer? A Daemon Prince with wings? A Rhino that your Malignant Plaguecaster jumps out of on Turn 2?

Sadly, I've had problems killing Wrath Lords for 22 years. So I can give you no advice other than that when I do kill them it's usually because I simultaneously charged them with a Daemon Prince and a Daemon Engine or with 2 Daemon Engines.

I like to give my Squads of 7 Plague Marines a powerfist, a meltagun, and a Flail of Corruption. But I lose a lot so you might not want to listen to me. :)

The Daemon Prince is faster with or without wings than the Plaguecaster and the Terminator Sorcerer can literally teleport onto the battlefield. The real option we are waiting for unless you think the psychic Chaos Knight is full of win, is the Chaos Codex. I can add anything with a chaos keyword to my campaign force. I don't think the rules are as strict as matched play in this regard, so maybe I'll at a Sorcerer of Tzeentch on a Disc I posted a picture of one to Instagram this week.

But I didn't come here to discuss the tactics used in 2nd Edition by my orks, I came to tell you I played a game against the new Chaos Knights codex I even bought a copy of it, but I'm not planning on adding one this year. I already have plenty of non-Nurgle painted Chaos Space Marines and of course Daemons I could add to my army, but I question how long the campaign will go or how big the games will get. I gotta have ten times as much stuff, I never really price it out, but I have 100 painted Plague Marines easily. What I need is more big guns or at least to dust off the melta guns and bring Bob the Necessary Evil. I can't believe I played this campaign without him, he is the necessary evil.

• 1 month later...

Our campaign resumes today. No Diseased Sons or Nefarious Fire or even an official warband in the new book is kinda sad. I'll order it today, but probably stick to Death Guard this year, that is the plan. I'm not sure who I play against today, it may be the Ultramarines. Gotta get back painting though the upgrade has made embedding images from Flickr harder. My old embeds still work so now I just need to figure out how to duplicate it...

And I've picked up the paint brushed again. We'll see if I can pick them up again tomorrow. I also ordered the Chaos Codex as truly the Diseased Sons are Nurgle Renegades and then there is the Nefarious Fire, so eventually I will use some other rules than those of the Death Guard but likely not this year.

• 2 weeks later...