[Review] Raging Heroes - Mantis Warriors, Command

Raging Heroes - Mantis Warriors, Command

gallery_62972_10948_13742.jpg

The link for these can be found here.

These were part of the TGG2 Kickstarter so I can't comment on any normal delivery time or packaging (feel free to let me know in the replies and I'll update this bit with delivery info, etc). However, this is how they turned up (and with some 25 mm round bases):

Bag:

gallery_62972_10948_133978.jpg
gallery_62972_10948_441568.jpg

Whilst they are "loose" and can potentially move around, there's no damage with these ones.

On to the models, there's some flash as expected with resin. Detail is crisp and you can see evidence of the circular mould technique they use::

Front:

gallery_62972_10948_1484222.jpg

Back:

gallery_62972_10948_53660.jpg

All the models are very light and delicate, but not flimsy. The resin itself is firm and responds well to cleanup, just be aware of how delicate it is.

Zoom:

From this close up we can see how the everything is joined to everything else:

Champion:

gallery_62972_10948_30799.jpg

The mould lines are very minor and aren't in places that cause problems. In these examples, the mould line is "underneath" the model and the bubble is on the underside of the hair:

Mould line:

gallery_62972_10948_244980.jpg

Bubble:

gallery_62972_10948_151040.jpg

The next shot shows where the flash is on the model and how much trimming needs doing - treat it like resin in that you do the first cut far away, then just smaller cuts as you approach the detail:

gallery_62972_10948_217956.jpg

The pieces are all ball & socket joints meaning you can pose them how you wish - tbh, there's no real guide on how to do so apart from the stock pictures. Here's the full squad all built:

Front:
gallery_62972_10948_1744327.jpg

Back:
gallery_62972_10948_141124.jpg

I've opted for the banner and musician option instead of the regular trooper option (the extra bits are shown in the first picture). I thought about magnetising but I didn't think 1x1 magnets would hold tbh - and yes, I can see where I've messed up the champion, she's currently having greenstuff applied as I type this :oops:

The tab for the slottabase should fit all the way across, but a couple need a bit of work in this example. As you need to trim it out from the sprue, it's never going to be perfect imo.

Some closer shots of the Command units and then the troops:

gallery_62972_10948_66369.jpg
gallery_62972_10948_325160.jpg

Finally, we have a comparison picture of Raging Heroes' offering placed alongside some of GW's.

From left to right: BA TDA Captain -> 2nd Edition Tactical Marine -> Mantis Warriors Champion -> Sanguinary Guard:

gallery_62972_10948_1352146.jpg

Despite being the right scale (30mm apparently vs 28mm heroic), she looks so delicate compared to the others. Of course, she's (it's?) standing bolt upright and I haven't got a GW Daemonette to compare, but she's about the same as a Fantasy Elf in proportions imo.

Edited by Jolemai

Nice review! I have 5 of the resin RH 'nettes and 10 of the older metal ones. I think I prefer the older ones in some ways (being a bit less OTT with the detail) but these new ones look good too.

Thanks, the Mantis Warriors - Troops review was done in a similar vein too. Just had to remind myself of the old ones (Preying Mantis) and they are similar, aren't they? These are a little less bulky and have a bit more bling, but the poses are quite alike on the box.