Exemplary Battles - Breaking of the Perfect Fortress

I mean, if I were merrily painting a Blood Angels squad and my boss demanded a new Raven guard units halfway through that's how it would go. 

It's not that bad though, good to see some new Blood Ravens  Angels Guard Raven Angels! Does that mean that Word Bearers are the only ones left without legion-specific Termis? (Wait now I understand, maybe it was supposed to be WB termis unit but they changed their mind later on...)

The color scheme makes a lot of sense when you compare them to Justaerin. They’re the inverse; red dominant and black touches. One even has a half-moon marking on the knee.

RG_Legion_Tact_Markings.jpg

"Half moon" is basically the RGs tactical pictogram.

Good catch!

Edit: And I love how the Raven Guard are like, “Terminator armors for our elite? Nah, too visible, give them to the line squads.”

Edited by jaxom

Good catch!

Edit: And I love how the Raven Guard are like, “Terminator armors for our elite? Nah, too visible, give them to the line squads.”

They're clearly about as elite as it gets though, they're the Terran Veterans. They just aren't respected or valued by the legion anymore.

Rik

Teleporting cataphractii with a multimelta, ravens claws, W2, furious charge, and immune to instant death from fists? Guess my tentative Raven Guard army is gonna be traitors.

But they aren't a traitor only unit.

Incidentally, I LIKE the red. After 6,000 some points of black models I'm sick of painting black.

They're going to be great in Zone Mortalis.

Good catch!

They're clearly about as elite as it gets though, they're the Terran Veterans. They just aren't respected or valued by the legion anymore.

Rik

Personally, that’s what I found so funny. Corax elevating guys who won a single planet rebellion over all the Terran veterans.

Well that's not entirely true. There are still Terran veterans left in the legion and not all Terran veterans were Deliverers - just that all Deliverers were Terran veterans. Soukhounou is one of the Commanders and is a terran. Between Gate 42, being sent away afterwards and then Isstvan V you'd imagine there's very few left. Technically there's probably very few left who fought in the uprising with Corax too.

Edit: I know the decal is the tactical line icon but maybe whoever put it together thought of it as a moon symbol or homage to the Luna Wolves - a nice touch if that was the intention.

Edited by Biscuittzz

Good catch!

Rik

Personally, that’s what I found so funny. Corax elevating guys who won a single planet rebellion over all the Terran veterans.
It's a mentality thing. The Terran veterans came from a culture of slavers and most of them were particularly brutal and didn't care about collateral damage or civilian casualties. Corax didn't want men under his command that wouldn't think twice about shelling a hab block full of civilians to kill a handful of enemies in it.

Corax didn't have a problem with the Terran guys who were able to change their mindset to be more in line with how he wanted his Legion to operate (Soukhanou being a great example). It's just the guys who refused to change their ways he had a problem with. There were still Terran veterans in the Legion all the way through the Heresy. But in very small numbers.

Edited by Claws and Effect

The deliverers rules are clearly written with 2nd in mind;

The opposite, in fact, as the article says - they were written for HH2.0, and then had their rules retrofitted for HH1.0

I mean, if I were merrily painting a Blood Angels squad and my boss demanded a new Raven guard units halfway through that's how it would go. 

All you have to do is paint over the first X in XIX and they're good for your BA army! That's probaby exactly what happened. 

I actually really like the divergent schemes; as a player of a Legion in white armour, I do so appreciate being able to add extra touches of black (Sagyar Mazan) or red (Destroyers) to the minis. That said, you could come up with any fluff for your army as to why they're different. Definitely breaks up the monotomy of the look on the table. The painting coming from the studio is a tad pedestriant as of late, but the idea at least gives you carte blanche to go wild.

Maybe when they go to 2.0 the traitor versions will get a little more.

It kind of reminds me of the Iron Warrior EB terminators. They both have have a much more useful rule when working for their primarch rather than against and the end up hating the thing that removed them from their preferred role on the battlefield. Both are very narrative.

Dark red? Is this some kind of a Word Bearer joke I'm too loyal to understand?!

The Raven Guard served with the sons of Horus for a long time. Who among them wore red and black, I wonder?

That should tell you all you need to know.

Andy explained on IG they’re inverted Justaerin colors on the showcase models because those would be Deliverers that fought with the Luna Wolves. It’s not meant to be the only way they look.

A few numbskulls didn’t believe he knew what he was talking about though :D

I like the inverted colors, that makes total sense to me. You could probably run them in your own scheme as well, especially with some basic background as to why. It definitely helps differentiate them from just basic legion terminators though.

Maybe a bit too much shooting from the hip as far as hot takes go with some of this new stuff.