Marshy-sandy camo scheme

Need some color recommendations.

I have 3 greens atm warboss, warpstone, and another I can’t recall right now (at work).edit I think it’s Loren forest

So I plan on using one of those greens, and I’m thinking zhandri dust, and a light brown that I’ll some how use to speckle the cloth, and use the zhandri dust to create some tiger stripe style camo.

Any recommendations on the brown which green I should use, and thoughts about using the zhandri dust?

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

For a tiger stripe camo, the “typical” was a green, brown, olive, and black - I’ve never really thought the black was all that good and isn’t a color truly found in nature, so you can probably go with a green, brown, olive and dark grey instead.  If there’s a specific camo set up you are trying to emulate, that could help pick colors that are close.

For a swamp type color set, I’d use the Loren Forest, and the Zandri Dust should work fine as a light tan.

Are you married to using the Citadel paint line, or are there other paint systems you would consider?

In Citadel, I’d probably use Death Guard or Straken Green for the olive color (unless Loren Forest is an olive, I don’t have it at hand), and a dark grey-brown, like Dryad Bark or Stormvermin Fur - both can be mixed with Abaddon Black to shade them down darker as well.

For a tiger stripe camo, the “typical” was a green, brown, olive, and black - I’ve never really thought the black was all that good and isn’t a color truly found in nature, so you can probably go with a green, brown, olive and dark grey instead. If there’s a specific camo set up you are trying to emulate, that could help pick colors that are close.

For a swamp type color set, I’d use the Loren Forest, and the Zandri Dust should work fine as a light tan.

Are you married to using the Citadel paint line, or are there other paint systems you would consider?

In Citadel, I’d probably use Death Guard or Straken Green for the olive color (unless Loren Forest is an olive, I don’t have it at hand), and a dark grey-brown, like Dryad Bark or Stormvermin Fur - both can be mixed with Abaddon Black to shade them down darker as well.

not married to citadel but it’s what I already have mostly now, and with home improvement projects out the wazoo I’m trying not to spend too much extra money

not married to citadel but it’s what I already have mostly now, and with home improvement projects out the wazoo I’m trying not to spend too much extra money

Totally understood - I didn’t want to rule out other paint systems if you wanted to look into them.  I like Warfront by Scalecolor/Scale75 and Vallejo Model Color for camo type stuff, although I feel that the Vallejo needs a heavier coat of matte varnish after painting (or mix some matte medium in to thin the color down some).

This is a tiger stripe camo explanation that I found I like (http://andysgreyarmy.blogspot.com/2018/05/vietnam-tiger-stripes-and-jungle-plants.html) - I think the idea of going lighter to darker with these patterns is a more effective way to work - you can usually work with thinner paint that way, as covering darker with lighter usually requires more layers of the lighter color paint(s), which means more chances to mess it up.

If you use that pattern for your figs, I would replace the Vallejo black grey with the dark brown-grey for a “swamp” tree bark (maybe a 1:1 - poss. 2:1 - of Dryad Bark:Abaddon Black).  It’s a good three color pattern, with the olive for the seams, instead of incorporating it into the actual camo pattern, so if you don’t have any of those you need to paint, you could leave the Death Guard/Straken Green out completely.  I would use the Zandri Dust in place of the Stone Grey, and the Loren Forest instead of Russian Uniform WW2.

Totally understood - I didn’t want to rule out other paint systems if you wanted to look into them.  I like Warfront by Scalecolor/Scale75 and Vallejo Model Color for camo type stuff, although I feel that the Vallejo needs a heavier coat of matte varnish after painting (or mix som matte medium in to thin the color down some).

This is a tiger stripe camo explanation that I found I like (http://andysgreyarmy.blogspot.com/2018/05/vietnam-tiger-stripes-and-jungle-plants.html) - I think the idea of going lighter to darker with these patterns is a more effective way to work - you can usually work with thinner paint that way, as covering darker with lighter usually requires more layers of the lighter color paint(s), which means more chances to mess it up.

If you use that pattern for your figs, I would replace the Vallejo black grey with the dark brown-grey for a “swamp” tree bark (maybe a 1:1 - poss. 2:1 - of Dryad Bark:Abaddon Black).  It’s a good three color pattern, with the olive for the seams, instead of incorporating it into the actual camo pattern, so if you don’t have any of those you need to paint, you could leave the Death Guard/Straken Green out completely.  I would use the Zandri Dust in place of the Stone Grey, and the Loren Forest instead of Russian Uniform WW2.

Great link there cheers!  The Tiger Stripe book he references has an awfully large variety, with different patterns, material and dyes used giving both silver or gold tones, darker greens or almost purple blacks etc.  The main point is, there's so many varieties that you cannot go wrong with colours as long as you are happy, if you find you have the colours too light you can just say they are the vet models with faded well used kit.  The guide to how he's put down the pattern is probably the best bit of advice :)

Can't wait to see your results!

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve got 3 test models, 2 with zhandri dust as the primary color, with Loren forest stripes, and one with death world stripes.

The 3rd is a death world primary with zhandri dust stripes. I think I’m going to mix and match both primary colors, think infantry, veterans, conscripts, zhandri primary, then HWS, and special weapons squads in death world for the primary.

I’d like to do a 3rd color, but don’t know if it should be a dark brown or just black.

Totally understood - I didn’t want to rule out other paint systems if you wanted to look into them. I like Warfront by Scalecolor/Scale75 and Vallejo Model Color for camo type stuff, although I feel that the Vallejo needs a heavier coat of matte varnish after painting (or mix som matte medium in to thin the color down some).

If you use that pattern for your figs, I would replace the Vallejo black grey with the dark brown-grey for a “swamp” tree bark (maybe a 1:1 - poss. 2:1 - of Dryad Bark:Abaddon Black). It’s a good three color pattern, with the olive for the seams, instead of incorporating it into the actual camo pattern, so if you don’t have any of those you need to paint, you could leave the Death Guard/Straken Green out completely. I would use the Zandri Dust in place of the Stone Grey, and the Loren Forest instead of Russian Uniform WW2.

Great link there cheers! The Tiger Stripe book he references has an awfully large variety, with different patterns, material and dyes used giving both silver or gold tones, darker greens or almost purple blacks etc. The main point is, there's so many varieties that you cannot go wrong with colours as long as you are happy, if you find you have the colours too light you can just say they are the vet models with faded well used kit. The guide to how he's put down the pattern is probably the best bit of advice :)

Can't wait to see your results!

id love to post pics, but this site still has no easy way of directly uploading, and I’m in mood to make an account with a photo hosting site to share.

• 1 month later...