Unit Focus : Primaris Aggressors

Khornestar

The scope of this thread is discussion on the best/various uses and opinions on aggressors. One hopes something of more value than “lol they suck don’t use them” can be contributed, but all thoughts are welcome.

Especially given the new armor of contempt rule, gravis units have a little buzz about them in terms of being worth giving a look.

I’ve been waffling in the fence about whether or not to buy some, and I just ordered 2 boxes.

They have core, so plenty of synergy and options for improving them. +1 to hit in melee is nice, though -1 damage is an unfortunate counter to them in melee. Advancing with our chapter trait to get as much distance as possible and still being able to unleash promethium hell is very appealing.

What do you think? Do you use them? How? Do you want to/plan to? How?

Edited by Khornestar

Everything with Crux Obsidian and T5 + 3W (4 with Stratagem) IS great. I think the combination with their stratagm for 2+ save and our 4++ Relic makes them great.

Dont want to go too far but I think they have great potential even for tournament lists.

still using Rites of War and a chaplain for 5+++

Our Flamerstratagem buff them too and if you take Grimaldus  you can always move at least 9 inches. 

Edited by Medjugorje

I'm toying with them too, mostly due to rule of cool. I like that you can stack several defensive buffs on them and bring them back with an apothecary. Both Icon of Heinman and Crux Obsidian seem like a good pairing, with possible stacking with their +1 to save strat. There's also advance + shoot, which extends their range considerably.

Against small arms you've got T5, against heavy you've got transhuman and potential 5++ (Vow), both potentially face a 2+.

They have the same kind of feeling an old school vindicator used to have: come too close and get destroyed. I see them as a march up the center and own it kind of unit. Not maneuverable but that matters less if you're looking for 'oaths of Moment' points.

Definitely worth buffing with a character. Chaplain is probably the best, tons of good litanies to choose from. Putting Helbrecht in a pile of them may be interesting too for CM rerolls and +1 str.

I wish I had assembled my first box with flamers now. I'd love to try a unit of six with flamers out, Feast Champ & Crux, Apothecary support. Wouldn't need any more buffs than that imo, save the Chaplain/Helbrecht stuff for another unit (hello Sword Brethren!). With our re-rolls you can reasonable expect them to move 8". They probably don't need transhuman, save that for a T4 unit. 

Unit size of 5 for strat and blast purposes, or 6 for full wounds and attacks? Combat squad, or keep together to maximize buffs? Which buffs do they like best offensively?

Unit size of 5 for strat and blast purposes, or 6 for full wounds and attacks? Combat squad, or keep together to maximize buffs? Which buffs do they like best offensively?

I was thinking about this earlier. If we could take like seven or eight then maybe going over five would be worth it re: strats/blast, but for just one more model it probably isn't worth it. So five I'd say. If you combat squad you lose the protection of the Feast Champion Crux Obsidian (and attendant Apothecary ofc!). 

I like 5. Keeps transhuman at 1cp and doesn't proc blast.

I think I'd rather Transhuman the Sword Brethren though!

I like 5. Keeps transhuman at 1cp and doesn't proc blast.

I think I'd rather Transhuman the Sword Brethren though!

Depends on the situation: I like to keep my options open to allow for tactical flexibility

pity that GW don't supply the ETB version anymore.

I was thinking the same when I bought mine. A cheaper box for a discount when all I wanted was flamestorms would have been sweet! Oh well.

I wish I had bought several boxes of them :/ didn't get any of the ETB ones, didn't know they would be getting rid of them. Same with the ETB redemptor. Wish they had kept them, I mean, they have the molds and such :/

Thoughts on champion of the feast on the sergeant? Fists actually hitting on 3’s could be nice. Obviously not considering it would be better on other units.

Only surpassed by the outrider sergeant in wounds for a primaris unit with core that has sergeants.

Edited by Khornestar

• 2 weeks later...

I played yesterday a squad of 5 with crux obisdian and champion stratagem - all with flamers.

I would say that the flamers are nice but the range hurts them still although 6" more is not that big deal.

What were their targets? How’d they do overall?