Welcome to another one of my Index Astartes. Having worked closely with TechCaptain on his Heralds of Ash I have had a niggling desire to try and create my own death cult chapter that is distintinctly different. In my opinion the only way to do that is to start with nailing down the homeworld, and for that I have tried to portray ancient Greece as a Death cult

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Index Astartes: Urn Keepers

Origins

?

gallery_92869_17438_127319.png
Urn Keepers Armorial'

Homeworld

R

ogus situated in the realm of Ultramar, was once a beautiful feudal world that has now become one large cemetery. It is not quite clear how this Imperial world came to be an Astartes homeworld. Between having incomplete and inconclusive founding records, and the bureaucratic labyrinth within the Administratum on Terra it is theorized that it is likely no more than a clerical error. An error with startling consequences, as Rogus has had a profound influence on the Urn Keepers to this day.

Earliest records of Rogus point to a feudal planet with luscious forests and lakes, rugged mountains, and thousands of islands. The Ancient Rogusians were peaceful and enjoyed systematically studying subjects such as philosophy and history. They loved art, architecture and literature, and they created thousands of temples, statues, paintings and texts honouring the Emperor and the Imperium. The planetary governor would often be found visiting the leaders of the many city-states. Sitting within their symmetrical white stone-walled palaces with their tall, intricately carved columns, discussing and debating the day's topic.

One incomplete record stated the Rogusians' most noteworthy custom was their dedication to caring for their dead. Every slain soldier and body carefully receive their three rites of passage. Beginning with the prothesis, the body is placed in public view to be mourned. Followed by the cremation upon an open funeral pyre, the ashes are transferred into an urn for their interment.

That all changed when the Administratum charged them with handling the dead of the 35th Orcallian Astra Militarum Regiment from the Salt Desert Campaign at the beginning of the 40th millennium. An unfathomable amount of bodies were brought to the surface in necro freighters to be disposed of. Every resource available had to be directed to the effort.

Nearly two thousand years later and the toll of the Administratum's decision, now known as 'The Thanatoring', has fundamentally changed Rogus, with Necro freighters from across the Imperium now delivering the slain to this once beautiful planet. Inside the once pristine white acropolises, the streets are lined with urns upon every surface. Once a symbol of the God-Emperor, the temples have given way to only honouring him in death. The theatres only show morbid performances. The public baths gave way to embalming, and the great artisans now left to only produce the endless demand for clay urns.

The ancient forests and woodland have been torn down to fuel the endless pyres. The mountains stripped to become giant altars. The islands have become massive chimney stacks of smoke that can be seen from miles around, filling the sky with soot for it to rain down, turning everything on the planet black. Scavenging Avians float high above to only break cloud cover to get at what they can. The polar ice caps rapidly melt while used for the prothesis, with millions of mourners lighting candles and offering prayers to the deceased. The sub-zero temperatures battle to preserve the massive backlog of bodies to be cremated and the lakes have become liquid soot, with the seabeds becoming mass graves with stone urns piled on top of one another.

There is great prestige in being cremated on Rogus. It draws cadavers from light-years around. Senior officers of the Imperial Guard, the Imperial Navy, members of Hive World noble houses, powerful merchant lords, Navigators, planetary nobility, and devout members of the Ecclesiarchy are to be cremated here. Some urns will be displayed, drawing pilgrims from all around in dire desperation to lay their eyes upon the resting spots of the great heroes and saints of the Imperium. The Rogusian underclass, who are mainly responsible for touching bodies, pay particular attention to these funerals as a surviving bone fragment can be enough to get out of this hellscape with them fetching high prices on the black market.

What urns that can be exhumed from the planet are eventually shipped off the surface, but when handling the faceless mass of the Imperial Guard, whose bodies could never be identified, will remain sitting silently on Rogus for the rest of eternity.

Chapter Cult and Belief System

T

he Urn Keepers believe that death underpins all of the Imperium's existence and that only through continued sacrifice in the face of such a hostile universe will the Imperium ever prevail. They liken their own sacrifice to the bodily sacrifice of the Emperor Himself. This belief eerily mirrors that of the Imperial Creed, and while they deviate from it, they embrace it more than many Astartes Chapters. Their discrepancies are overlooked by members of the Ecclesiarchy.

Despite being situated within the realm of Ultramar and being embraced by the Ecclesiarchy, they attempt to remain relatively isolationist in nature. Just as those cremated give up the last of their earthy possessions, body, and soul, the Keepers seek to shed all Materium desires. Only in the state of nothingness can one ever truly gain the insight and strength to serve the will of the Imperium.

This quiet, sombre, and melancholic Chapter worship every death, every shot, and cut in battle as an act for the survival of the Imperium. They hold no preference in whom they must sacrifice or kill in the name of the Imperium, Heretic or Xenos alike; all will be returned to nothing for the greatness of the Imperium.

In the wake of any battle involving the Urn Keepers, witnesses will see armies of black tunic-wearing serfs covered in black and white ash-based body paint arrive. They assist the Astartes in preparing the bodies of their allies and their enemies for their rites of passage. Huge pyres will be lit, sermons said, and ashes recovered. Those who shed blood alongside them will be gifted the urns of their deceased so that their ashes may be returned home with them.

If an Astartes from a Brother Chapter is among the fallen, the Urn Keepers would consider it a great honour if they were permitted to honour them in their customs. With the Progenoid glands recovered, they will be returned to Rogus for cremation alongside any of the Keepers' fallen.

There, their bodies will be displayed for their prothesis, for all of Rogus's population to observe. As is the custom, they will be cremated with their sermon presided over by a high ranking member of the Reclusiam. Only after this will the urn of ashes belonging to their allied Chapter be permitted to find its way home, and the mutants, heretics, and Xenos' ashes from their victory will be displayed upon the slopes of Pax.

Fortress Monastery

?

Recruitment

?

Gene-seed

?

Organisation

?
Edited by Minigiant

The Urn Keepers Chapter has existed, since May 2022. This post is intended to serve as a repository for the Urn Keepers as I continue to develop them. For their Index Astartes article, please see above.

Urn Keepers Wiki

• The Urn Keepers wiki can be found here

Urn Keepers Google Doc

• The Urn Keepers Google Doc accepting all suggestions and edits (COMING SOON)

Urn Keepers Painting and Modelling Threads

• Minigiant's Urn Keepers Army Thread (COMING SOON)

Urn Keepers Graphics

•  

Urn Keepers Modelling Bits

• Mk 7 Power Armoured Urn Keepers Pads (COMING SOON)
  • Primaris Urn Keepers Pads (COMING SOON)

Urn Keepers Today

• My Urn Keepers are currently undergoing extensive development.
    They are to be:
  • Featured on Homebrew of the Week
  • Included in a Warzone Article
  • Included in a Flashpoint Article
  • Made into an old fashioned Index Astartes book
  • Make an appearance in a fan made Imperial Armour Book

Found to have taken the former feudal world turned cemetery world of Rogus within the realm of Ultramar as a homeworld explained the influence of how the Urn Keepers came to be.

I think you should reread this sentence. It looks a bit awkward to me

Thoughts about the homeworld culture/society/economy:
* There is likely a tourist and pilgrim industry for people wanting to visit the mausoleum of famous people and/or saints. You likely have to pay to get to the areas where their mausoleums are, then have to pay to get close to the mausoleum, and then pay extra much to go in in the mausoleum.
^ Many pilgrims don’t think about how to get back home after having visited the holy sites and stranded pilgrims possibly make up a notable underclass on Rogus.
^ Maybe the planets IG regiment is mostly made up by those pilgrims, similar to the Maccabian Janissaries
* Bones that are still there after cremation is considered holy/blessed and are used to create lesser relics.
^ There is possibly a trade in martyrs (a.k.a. IG’s that died on duty) bones.
* Are the urns made there or imported? If the former, do they import the clay or use their own? Are they factory made or handmade? If the later are the urn crafters guild likley a powerplayer.
* There are likely a large amount of urn painters. Cremation ash based paint could be seen as a honour, or just something all urn pain have in them.
* Do they cremate using wood, promethium or gas? In any case, import of any of those should be important.
* According Death, Burial Rituals and the Afterlife in Ancient Greece (greecehighdefinition.com) did the old Greeks washed the whole body, anointed it with olive oil, and then clothed the body and wrapped it in a winding sheet, leaving only one’s head exposed. Do the Rogusians do anything similar? If so, where do they get the olive oil and sheet from? Do they make them themself or import them?
* are there a guild/similar of mourners? who main/only jobb is to mourn the dead by crying, wailing, beating themself in suposed sorrow, and/or praying for the dead.

Suggest taking a look at the Magic the Gathering/Dungeon & Dragon setting Theros 's underworld/undead/death rituals for inspiration

Unless you have an idea for their colours do I suggest:
- Dark grey with blue flames - nodding to Disney's Hercules's Hades
- White with a gold helmet - refering to a noble dead body in a white death shroud with a death mask in gold
- Terracotta orange with black details - nodding toward one of the styles of Greek vases
- Black with terracotta orange details - nodding toward another one of the styles of  Greek vases 

Found to have taken the former feudal world turned cemetery world of Rogus within the realm of Ultramar as a homeworld explained the influence of how the Urn Keepers came to be.

I think you should reread this sentence. It looks a bit awkward to me

Yep 100% agree. I even have it highlighted in red on the master document. It is the first draft and without an Origin section it would need to be rewritten anyway so at the moment it is low on my list of priorities

* There is likely a tourist and pilgrim industry for people wanting to visit the mausoleum of famous people and/or saints. You likely have to pay to get to the areas where their mausoleums are, then have to pay to get close to the mausoleum, and then pay extra much to go in in the mausoleum.

Yeah, I did mention it briefly but anymore would read too much like the Heralds of Ash

^ Many pilgrims don’t think about how to get back home after having visited the holy sites and stranded pilgrims possibly make up a notable underclass on Rogus.

A probable reality. They would probably find work cremating. The high temperatures and carrying the deceased would make it an 'untouchables' (or in Greek terms, a Slaves job) type job

^ Maybe the planets IG regiment is mostly made up by those pilgrims, similar to the Maccabian Janissaries

I don't see them having an auxilia or a tithe to the Astra Militarum

* Bones that are still there after cremation is considered holy/blessed and are used to create lesser relics.
^ There is possibly a trade in martyrs (a.k.a. IG’s that died on duty) bones.

Yeah probably. Again it feels very similar to the Heralds of Ash (Which I know is difficult because I helped write that too)

* Are the urns made there or imported? If the former, do they import the clay or use their own? Are they factory made or handmade? If the later are the urn crafters guild likley a powerplayer.
* There are likely a large amount of urn painters. Cremation ash based paint could be seen as a honour, or just something all urn pain have in them.

That is a good thing to add, artisans converted to that job

* Do they cremate using wood, promethium or gas? In any case, import of any of those should be important.

They would use wood, I did say that

* According Death, Burial Rituals and the Afterlife in Ancient Greece (greecehighdefinition.com) did the old Greeks washed the whole body, anointed it with olive oil, and then clothed the body and wrapped it in a winding sheet, leaving only one’s head exposed. Do the Rogusians do anything similar? If so, where do they get the olive oil and sheet from? Do they make them themself or import them?

*Be careful with research, I have discovered this is a rabbit hole to fall down on this subject.

Yes they would wash the body. It is technically considered part of the embalming process, which the planets public baths were converted to.

* are there a guild/similar of mourners? who main/only jobb is to mourn the dead by crying, wailing, beating themself in suposed sorrow, and/or praying for the dead.

Most certainly

Edited by Minigiant

That all changed when the Administratum charged them with handling the dead of the 35th Orcallian Astra Militarum Regiment from the Salt Desert Campaign at the beginning of the 40th millennium. An unfathomable amount of bodies were brought to the surface in necro freighters to be disposed of. Every resource available had to be directed to the effort.

Nearly two thousand years later and the toll of the Administratum's decision, now known as 'The Thanatoring', has fundamentally changed Rogus, with Necro freighters from across the Imperium now delivering the slain to this once beautiful planet. 

@Minigiant - Is it really the 42nd Millennium ?

Nearly two thousand years later and the toll of the Administratum's decision, now known as 'The Thanatoring', has fundamentally changed Rogus, with Necro freighters from across the Imperium now delivering the slain to this once beautiful planet.

@Minigiant - Is it really the 42nd Millennium ?
No it isn't but it is nearly 2000 years between those dates. Beginning of the 40th to the end of the 41st Edited by Minigiant

Yeah, I did mention it briefly but anymore would read too much like the Heralds of Ash

If you lean more into the Greek/Hellenistic inspiration I think people will not feel like they are to similar to the Heralds.

If you lean more into the Greek/Hellenistic inspiration I think people will not feel like they are to similar to the Heralds.
An old article on the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, stated Artemisia II of Caria would mix the ashes of her late husband, Mausolus (for whom the Mausoleum was named), with wine, and then drink the mixture on the anniversary of his death. Say the Urn Keepers mix fallen battle-brothers' ashes with wine before consuming this mixture, to honor the dead Marines' sacrifice and to symbolically take the fallen heroes' strength into themselves?

An old article on the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, stated Artemisia II of Caria would mix the ashes of her late husband, Mausolus (for whom the Mausoleum was named), with wine, and then drink the mixture on the anniversary of his death. Say the Urn Keepers mix fallen battle-brothers' ashes with wine before consuming this mixture, to honor the dead Marines' sacrifice and to symbolically take the fallen heroes' strength into themselves?

Haha I have something bookmarked like that that is basically the same thing, but yes I will be doing that

Awesome work on these guys they will make a good Daeth base chapter.

You mean Deathwatch Watch Company?

No he doesn't, he means a chapter themed around death

Edited by Minigiant

If you don't mind more American influence on this Chapter, how about incorporating the Hodag? From the Wikipedia article:

The hodag was said to be born from the ashes of cremated oxen, as the incarnation of the accumulation of abuse the animals had suffered at the hands of their masters.

Adapt the legend somewhat to say Rogusian myths claim the hodag is born from the ashes of cremated slaves, as the incarnation of the anger and hatred they felt towards their masters- a myth that arose from a long-forgotten incident in the planet's history, when a World Eaters warband tried to summon a Daemon there, only to lose control, and subsequently, their lives as the summoned spirit (not necessarily a Daemon) killed the Traitor Marines before dispersing?

Hell, extend the barrels on Cataphractii pattern Terminator armor's grenade harness, and they'll look like the mythical hodag's horns. Equip these Terminators with lightning claws...

Another neat homeworld concept!

Any thoughts on how the Homeworld affected the Chapter? Not in what ways the influence manifests, as I assume you have ideas on how to theme the Chapter after the world, but how the influence took hold over time?

That's the main question I have after reading what you have so far, as I don't see an obvious line from the Chapter taking the world to the Chapter's current state. Why does the function of the world change the Chapter? Is there something about the people's culture that is transferred with recruits into the Chapter? And how does the world produce good recruits? Or do they take recruits from somewhere else and something else is the reason for why the Chapter has been affected by their homeworld? Did the Chapter simply choose to let itself be influenced by the world, and if so why?

Edited by Codex Grey

Another neat homeworld concept!

Any thoughts on how the Homeworld affected the Chapter? Not in what ways the influence manifests, as I assume you have ideas on how to theme the Chapter after the world, but how the influence took hold over time?

That's the main question I have after reading what you have so far, as I don't see an obvious line from the Chapter taking the world to the Chapter's current state. Why does the function of the world change the Chapter? Is there something about the people's culture that is transferred with recruits into the Chapter? And how does the world produce good recruits? Or do they take recruits from somewhere else and something else is the reason for why the Chapter has been affected by their homeworld? Did the Chapter simply choose to let itself be influenced by the world, and if so why?

Yes I am trying to cover that in the recruitment section; a section that I keep moving around. In essence the Urn Keepers recruit from the slave class on Rogus. The hard physical labor of cremation has conditioned their physique to be ideal candidates, but it is their socioeconomic class that connects the Chapter to the planet, as it leaves them as close to death as nothing can bring them. Something that the Urn Keepers are constantly striving for.

In essence the Urn Keepers recruit from the slave class on Rogus.

Does the Chapter recompense the slaveowners for the recruited slaves? If not, there's a chance the slaveowners will revolt (see the cause of the American Civil War), challenging the Marines' rule over the Chapter planet.

The hard physical labor of cremation has conditioned their physique to be ideal candidates,

Wouldn't it be best to recruit from the lumberjacks who chop the trees from which they get firewood for cremation, or the quarrymen who mine the stone from which the urns are carved? Those should be physically demanding jobs, not simply moving dead bodies and firewood.

but it is their socioeconomic class that connects the Chapter to the planet,

Marines have to fight for all mankind- not just the poor lower class, not just the rich upper class. I doubt it's a good idea to focus too much on the recruits' socioeconomic class.

as it leaves them as close to death as nothing can bring them. Something that the Urn Keepers are constantly striving for.

Great idea!

Been thinking about this chapter again, a question for you is what do you see as their doctrine forming from this kind of legacy? Are they like their forebears with emphasis on formations and working together? Being okay in everything but not special in anything? Or do they diverge becoming more flame based like my Heralds of Ash and Salamanders or Maybe they are ritual combatants who turn every flourish of the blade a ritual of death for their opponents with honor sacrament? Heralds of Ash go for terror and thunder in a field of fire and torture, your Urn Keepers are solemn worshipers of death and artisan angels of Death in the name of the Emperor, instead of proclaiming for all to know they are there like Heralds, they keep watch and study executing flawless plans that are for least amount of suffering?

I have tried to portray ancient Greece as a Death cult

A list with concepts for making a chapter feel Ancient Greece-ish (am expanding it right now so more parts will be posted):

1. The Chapter’s leader/s has as advisor a female oracle. Is she a psyker, blessed by the emperor, both, or something else?

2. Each battle-brother is assigned one too three personal serfs, known as skeuophoros, who assist in a variety of roles such as donning armour, maintaining weaponry, information gathering, and/or other menial but personal tasks.

3. A Chapter that use Combat Shields and/or Boarding Shields as standard equipment.

4. Maintain sovereignty over several nearby systems, and the chapter officers are expected to oversee the administration of each world before advancing to a higher rank. Possibly these officers are often found in command of local troops.

5. Recruit from seafarers and coastal-dwellers.

6. Take human survivors of worlds they have pacified to serve as chapter-slaves and servitors, doing the most menial and undesirable servant-tasks.

7. Believe it’s wrong to not treat dead enemies with at least the minimum of respect that they treat their own dead.

8. An elite group of the Chapter is equipped with mirror shields.

9. As part of their training each aspirant is assigned the role of skeuophoros to a battle-brother of the battle companies, and function as their personal helper, in any way the battle-brother sees fitt, be it in as well as outside of combat. 

10. The Chapter’s companies are each a self-contained unit responsible for its own recruiting and maintenance of its motorpool. Each of the companies control a different part of their homeworld and there is internal strife between the companies about rights and dues. 

11. Led by a democrat council and on decisions of large magnitude they summon the whole available chapter for a united vote. 

12. Worship a pantheon made up by the Emperor (as the high-god-king), the primarchs, and lesser demi-gods (Imperial Saints, heroes, and similar). [referring to the Greek pantheon and Greek hero cults]

13. Beautify youths of the chapter’s homeworld and/or warzones they fight in are taken by the battle-brother to serve as their personal servants.

14. Honourable but also prideful and allow their wounded pride rule them.

15. Possible aspirants are first chosen from the child participants of games similar to the classic Olympic games.

16. Their recruitment world’s misogynistic culture has affected the chapter culture. Giving them problems when they have to interact with women of power. 

17. All marines are expected to at least know the basics of poetry, rethorics, and philosophy. And games in those skills are common among battle-brothers.

18. Libation - an offering involving the ritual pouring out of a liquid, most commonly consisted of watered down wine, but also sometimes of pure wine, honey, olive oil, water or milk - to the Emperor, ancestors, and/or similar is a common practice among battle-brothers when they think they should give thank or honour, or ask for help or guidance.

19. Animal sacrifices accompanied by singing and prayer, to the Emperor, ancestors, and/or similar, are done at fixed dates and before and/or after larger battle. 

20. The chapter’s death rituals involves the body being washed and anointed with oil and a wreath put around the dead battle-brother’s neck. Then, the body is clothed and wrapped in a winding sheet, leaving only one’s head exposed, and coins are put on the marine’s eyes and/or in his mouth. Possibly the body is followed by mourners as it’s carried to its grave.

Some worlds from that era that can be used in some way:

Hipparki = Macedonian cavalry unit. Could be used for biker units.

Ilia = unit of hipparki

Ilark = cavalry officer

Hippeis = the bodyguards of the Spartan kings

Syntagma = Macedonian unit of 25 men

Syntagmatark = leader of a Syntagma

Helots = Spartan serfs 

Mothakes = a special group of helots that has been given a spartan eduction and have more freedoms than the standard helot. Could be a word for aspirants 

Ephors = the elected leaders of ancient Sparta

Edited by Gamiel

Again, Gamiel demonstrates excellent imagination.

1. The Chapter’s leader/s has as advisor a female oracle. Is she a psyker, blessed by the emperor, both, or something else?

Say the Chapter planet's inhabitants deify the Astropathic choir's leader, as the Emperor's oracle, to explain the working relationship between the female oracle and the Chapter Master?

4. Maintain sovereignty over several nearby systems, and the chapter officers are expected to oversee the administration of each world before advancing to a higher rank. Possibly these officers are often found in command of local troops.

I have an idea of mining and manufactory colonies built on and in asteroids, as analogues for Greek city-states. Have the Chapter hold dominion over these asteroid colonies, and recruit from them?

A reference to Perseus' shield, and to the Aegis? This also gave me the idea of naming the elites "Eurymedon" (singular) or "Eurymedoni" (plural?)- "far-ruling," after one of Perseus' epithets- and equipping them with archeotech shields with the ability to reflect enemy attacks (an obvious reference to Perseus' shield's mirror-like effects), or to trap enemies in stasis (a reference to Medusa), if the enemy rolls a To Hit roll of 1 against the equipped unit.

16. Their recruitment world’s misogynistic culture has affected the chapter culture. Giving them problems when they have to interact with women of power.

Instead of making the Marines misogynistic, let's say the Chapter was Founded at a time when relations between the Ecclesiarchy and other Imperial institutions (including Marine Chapters) was tense. The Ecclesiarchy insisted an Order Militant of Adepta Sororitas be Founded on the Chapter planet, to punish the Marines if or when the latter betray their oaths to the God-Emperor. The Sisters recruit from the Chapter planet's inhabitants, and act like mythical Amazons as a direct result; the Marines themselves aren't misogynistic, but their tense relations with the Amazonian Sisters has colored their relations with other matriarchal organizations (including other Orders of Adepta Sororitas, militant and non-militant alike).

Syntagma = Macedonian unit of 25 men

Syntagmatark = leader of a Syntagma

Sounds about right for platoons and the lieutenants leading them. Justify this as the Captains grooming each Syntagmatark to have the training and experience necessary to take command- allowing the Syntagmatark to have an Apothecary, Judiciar, Techmarine, and/or Librarian under their command, in addition to Honor Guards- when the Captain inevitably falls in battle?

A reference to Perseus' shield, and to the Aegis? This also gave me the idea of naming the elites "Eurymedon" (singular) or "Eurymedoni" (plural?)- "far-ruling," after one of Perseus' epithets- and equipping them with archeotech shields with the ability to reflect enemy attacks (an obvious reference to Perseus' shield's mirror-like effects), or to trap enemies in stasis (a reference to Medusa), if the enemy rolls a To Hit roll of 1 against the equipped unit.

It's a reference to the Argyraspides with the silver shields turned into mirror shields. But I feel like I maybe should rework that entry, it's one of my older ones

Instead of making the Marines misogynistic, let's say the Chapter was Founded at a time when relations between the Ecclesiarchy and other Imperial institutions (including Marine Chapters) was tense. The Ecclesiarchy insisted an Order Militant of Adepta Sororitas be Founded on the Chapter planet, to punish the Marines if or when the latter betray their oaths to the God-Emperor. The Sisters recruit from the Chapter planet's inhabitants, and act like mythical Amazons as a direct result; the Marines themselves aren't misogynistic, but their tense relations with the Amazonian Sisters has colored their relations with other matriarchal organizations (including other Orders of Adepta Sororitas, militant and non-militant alike). 

That's an idea but I feel like it takes away a bit from the original reference to that the ancient Greeks were not just misogynistic by our standards but by the standards of many of the other cultures from that era

That's an idea but I feel like it takes away a bit from the original reference to that the ancient Greeks were not just misogynistic by our standards but by the standards of many of the other cultures from that era

I'm concerned this will make stupid people think Minigiant is as misogynistic as his creation, and attack him as a direct result. Cancel culture is a thing in "current year."

A list with concepts for making a chapter feel Ancient Greece-ish (am expanding it right now so more parts will be posted):

2. Each battle-brother is assigned one too three personal serfs, known as skeuophoros, who assist in a variety of roles such as donning armour, maintaining weaponry, information gathering, and/or other menial but personal tasks.

3. A Chapter that use Combat Shields and/or Boarding Shields as standard equipment.

6. Take human survivors of worlds they have pacified to serve as chapter-slaves and servitors, doing the most menial and undesirable servant-tasks.

7. Believe it’s wrong to not treat dead enemies with at least the minimum of respect that they treat their own dead.

9. As part of their training each aspirant is assigned the role of skeuophoros to a battle-brother of the battle companies, and function as their personal helper, in any way the battle-brother sees fitt, be it in as well as outside of combat. 

10. The Chapter’s companies are each a self-contained unit responsible for its own recruiting and maintenance of its motorpool. Each of the companies control a different part of their homeworld and there is internal strife between the companies about rights and dues. 

11. Led by a democrat council and on decisions of large magnitude they summon the whole available chapter for a united vote. 

12. Worship a pantheon made up by the Emperor (as the high-god-king), the primarchs, and lesser demi-gods (Imperial Saints, heroes, and similar). [referring to the Greek pantheon and Greek hero cults]

13. Beautify youths of the chapter’s homeworld and/or warzones they fight in are taken by the battle-brother to serve as their personal servants.

15. Possible aspirants are first chosen from the child participants of games similar to the classic Olympic games.

17. All marines are expected to at least know the basics of poetry, rethorics, and philosophy. And games in those skills are common among battle-brothers.

18. Libation - an offering involving the ritual pouring out of a liquid, most commonly consisted of watered down wine, but also sometimes of pure wine, honey, olive oil, water or milk - to the Emperor, ancestors, and/or similar is a common practice among battle-brothers when they think they should give thank or honour, or ask for help or guidance.

19. Animal sacrifices accompanied by singing and prayer, to the Emperor, ancestors, and/or similar, are done at fixed dates and before and/or after larger battle. 

20. The chapter’s death rituals involves the body being washed and anointed with oil and a wreath put around the dead battle-brother’s neck. Then, the body is clothed and wrapped in a winding sheet, leaving only one’s head exposed, and coins are put on the marine’s eyes and/or in his mouth. Possibly the body is followed by mourners as it’s carried to its grave.

21. The Chapter’s holdings and ships have mosaic floors, at least in the areas where the battle-brothers usually move around.

22. Standard dress for battle-brothers out of armour is a loincloth, a full-body cape and nothing more. [Referring to the 300 look]

23. Standard dress for battle-brothers out of armour is a chiton, a chlamys, and sandals. Maybe the chiton’s and/or chlamys’ borders are coloured in the colours of the wearer’s company.

24. The chapter practises animal sacrifices, accompanied by singing and prayer, to the Emperor, ancestors, and/or similar. Afterward, hepatoscopy, divination by examining parts of the sacrificed animal, is often performed by the present Librarian, Chaplain, and/or similar.

25. The chapter put stock in ornithomancy, the practice of reading omens from the actions of birds.

26. At times of disaster (famine, loss of supplies, plague, large losses) or at times of calendrical crisis a battle-brother that for one reason or another has been censured or cripled is declared pharmakós and ritually exiled from the chapter’s territory. With the belief that this will bring about purification and dispel the misfortune.

27. The chapter group-together their Librarians, Chaplains, Techmarines and Apothecaries under the term “Philosophers”.

28. The Chapter fully belive in the concept of xenia, the right of hospitality if asked, and the respect from hosts to guests and the respect from guests to hosts that entails.

29. The chapter does not ignore the pleasures of eating but values simplicity when it comes to the meal. Likely consider culinary and gastronomic research as a sign of flabbiness.

30. The chapter’s recruitment world associated dance with religious ceremony and also hold it in high regard for its educational qualities (according to them). This has been brought over to the chapter’s culture.

21. The Chapter’s holdings and ships have mosaic floors, at least in the areas where the battle-brothers usually move around.

22. Standard dress for battle-brothers out of armour is a loincloth, a full-body cape and nothing more. [Referring to the 300 look]

23. Standard dress for battle-brothers out of armour is a chiton, a chlamys, and sandals. Maybe the chiton’s and/or chlamys’ borders are coloured in the colours of the wearer’s company.

24. The chapter practises animal sacrifices, accompanied by singing and prayer, to the Emperor, ancestors, and/or similar. Afterward, hepatoscopy, divination by examining parts of the sacrificed animal, is often performed by the present Librarian, Chaplain, and/or similar.

25. The chapter put stock in ornithomancy, the practice of reading omens from the actions of birds.

26. At times of disaster (famine, loss of supplies, plague, large losses) or at times of calendrical crisis a battle-brother that for one reason or another has been censured or cripled is declared pharmakós and ritually exiled from the chapter’s territory. With the belief that this will bring about purification and dispel the misfortune.

27. The chapter group-together their Librarians, Chaplains, Techmarines and Apothecaries under the term “Philosophers”.

28. The Chapter fully belive in the concept of xenia, the right of hospitality if asked, and the respect from hosts to guests and the respect from guests to hosts that entails.

29. The chapter does not ignore the pleasures of eating but values simplicity when it comes to the meal. Likely consider culinary and gastronomic research as a sign of flabbiness.

30. The chapter’s recruitment world associated dance with religious ceremony and also hold it in high regard for its educational qualities (according to them). This has been brought over to the chapter’s culture.

31. The chapter show company belonging not by colour or number but by the use of Greek letters.

32. The lyra, aulos, and pan flute are the instrument of choice for the chapter.

33. Have twelve companies inested of the codex standard ten. [referring to the twelve Labours of Hercules, and the Twelve Olympians]

34. The ashes of dead marines are kept in decorative metal kraters.

35. Athletic games are a custom part of the chapter’s celebration, be it for victory or to honour fallen heroes. 

36. The chapter’s fortress-monastery, ships and similar holding all have a odeon for musical activities such as singing, musical shows, and poetry competitions among the marines and/or their followers. 

37. The chapter show company belonging not by colour or number but by the use of Greek shield symbols (like the head of Medusa, trident head, a standing owl, jumping dolphin, etc.)

38. The chapter’s aspirants are given as pharmakoi by the city-states and tribal-kingdoms they recruit from.

39. The chapter often participate in imperial colonisation attempts as planet takers, colony protectors, and/or organisators. 

40. Olive oil is the main lubricant the chapter uses when taking care of their wargear or machinery. It’s also used in their cooking.