Rusted Boltgun's WIP

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

Hello Fraters!

Having lurked and occasionally posted over the last few months I have decided to create a WIP log to document my re-entry to the hobby.

This was going to be a Raven Guard-based log as I have a Strikeforce to build but I have already paused that plan, bought Kill Team Octarius and started some terrain painting.

DSC_2562.jpg

This is very much WIP as I test out washes and contrast paints and basically learn to paint. I only painted a few minis when I was at school, I think it must have been around 1989/1990.

Edit: title updated to reflect that I have now bought two KT boxes and have been painting Genestealers to refresh my v.1 Space Hulk game.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun
Update / removed misleading title elements!

I continued my shading and weathering with the platform for the oil pump.

DSC_2570.jpg

This afternoon I trialled the terrain with a couple of friends. Please ignore the GW content but it is thanks to this that I am back in the hobby.

DSC_2577.jpg

I'm pleased because I had 'mettalled' one of the larger platforms and it really didn't stand out in the tabletop - more colour is required!

Some progress with the terrain but still very much WIP as the rest of the fuel pump assembly needs work. I have also cut out and trimmed the remaining pieces ready for priming

DSC_2591.jpg

DSC_2592.jpg

And that is where I revert to type and get distracted by something shiny. We'll, maybe not shiny but new.

My first real 40K love was Space Hulk and for some reason I recently bought a couple of Genestealer job lots. Now the A Bug's Life 2022 event has been announced I have a reason to do something with them. A bunch have gone into the alcohol bath this morning. Watch this space for chitinous shenanigans...

• 1 month later...

Soooo, I got distracted from my Octarius terrain by a batch of pesky genestealers. I am about half way through them and don't have a WIP photo to share (note to self - try harder).

Then I got distracted by green stuff and this whole Legio mini-me idea

DSC_29112.jpg

DSC_2910.jpg

I'm not really that bandy-legged, honest.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

Got some paint on my head, got a bit in my eye

DSC_2918.jpg

First time using gulliman flesh contrast. The forehead went better than the cheeks, nose and mouth. But I managed to get some on the hair so not great. Doesn't look too bad from a distance.

Wasn't sure about the magenta augmented eye, the metallic catches the light nicely though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 6:05 PM, Rusted Boltgun said:

Hello Fraters!

Having lurked and occasionally posted over the last few months I have decided to create a WIP log to document my re-entry to the hobby.

This was going to be a Raven Guard-based log as I have a Strikeforce to build but I have already paused that plan, bought Kill Team Octarius and started some terrain painting.

DSC_2562.jpg

This is very much WIP as I test out washes and contrast paints and basically learn to paint. I only painted a few minis when I was at school, I think it must have been around 1989/1990.

Sorry for dredging up an old post, but what yellow did you use here? I love it. 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:58 PM, aa.logan said:

Sorry for dredging up an old post, but what yellow did you use here? I love it. 

Glad you like it! That was Averland Sunset. I tried some Iyanden yellow over it, didn't like it (my first ever attempt using Contrast) so went back over with the Averland.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

• 2 weeks later...

Further progress with the 'stealers. I switched out two of the 'modern' sculpts as I couldn't get my head around the model and the old style paint scheme. 

DSC_3053.jpg

So the two at the back are playing catch up. Skeleton Horde over Wraithbone works better on the spiky bits, I think. I haven't got my technique for using Contrast paints sorted yet though. OK on smaller details (like the purity seal on my Legio B&C Marine) but not so effective over larger areas. 

• 4 weeks later...

Enough with the distractions!

And with that, I got distracted by another piece of Octarius terrain

DSC_3132.jpg
DSC_3131.jpg
DSC_3130.jpg

Still WIP as I work out where to slap different colours, developing quite an Orky haphazard method to my painting, it seems. So more basecoats, washes and highlights to come.

Maybe I'll finish this piece and go back to one of the earlier ones?!

The top piece of this terrain element is darker than I would like. The upright pieces were primed with Leadbelcher spray, this got a prime of black and then Leadbelcher applied by brush (apart from a couple of areas in Iron Hands). So that's a lesson learned!

I have the hatch to paint and lots of weathering to do but I felt it needed some colour. A little moot green.

DSC_31392.jpg

Seriously considering a cheap airbrush for priming / basecoating terrain as I'm not keen on aerosols at the rate I'll be getting through them. After this I will have Moroch and Into The Dark (why didn't they just call it Gallowdark?) to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has changed on the Orky terrain since the last post (some detailing and washes) but my son and I have been brainstorming ideas on how to make the Octarius multiple pieces of terrain different from one another.

Then Into the Dark landed and @Arkhanist 's Kroot thread got me thinking

8911C086-6FB4-40F1-B23C-0FFDED06835F.jpg

I think I'll be playing with Kroot colour schemes for a while yet as my son really wants me to get the Ork Kommandos assembled and painted.

Back on the Octarius terrain and feel like I'm on the home stretch now. 

C73C0AF0-5D65-43F4-9F94-FA98ED6C115D.jpg

Tried an orange glow on the lights, not sure how effective it is but no matter. The same glyph- hound orange is a more effective rust

940E499B-F5E9-4079-8F0B-A2B7A46B9B6F.jpg

F4ADA67A-4671-4577-82FD-5F26CEF7684E.jpg

A touch up required on the big toof at the front but happy with my attempt at highlighting. A light Xandri Dust drybrush on the bottom and I think that will be done. 

Then to finish the oil pump and maybe have a go at some Orks to populate my shanty town.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun
Broken photo link

Great job on that terrain!

What are you using for the weathering?

I always admire such dedication to details- I suffer from ADHD, and large models are my curse- I just lose interest half way through. Once started a Land Raider and then sold it on half way though painting, because I was not feeling it anymore. No idea what has driven me to buy an actual Kill Team box and all the terrain....

Edited by Valkia the Bloody

Thank you!

My son has already rejected the orange lights on the front - they need to be yellow - and is unhappy that I have dirtied up his favourite detail, the fuel can. So I've agreed to re-paint it to look as if it had just be placed there.

For me, the Ork terrain holds the interest with all the little details, it really has been fun. I might struggle with an Astartes vehicle, up till now my Land Raiders have all been in Epic scale!

I'm not really looking forward to the ITTD walls - it is going to be quite boring batch painting for the most part, I think. I've bought myself a little airbrush to the process a bit more interesting / challenging. But if it all goes wrong it may just end up thrown in a box...

The weathering over the leadbelcher is just nuln oil and agrax earthsade (not mixed, agrax only used in lower portions of this element).

The beams under the roof were painted in a 'dark steel' mix of black and Instar Metal+ which was then given two heavy washes of nuln oil. I used the mix on a few bits on the top (the diamond pattern section?) and painted some panels with Iron Hands Steel for variety.

Corrugated metal is Black Templar Contrast over leadbelcher.

Copper was washed with Reikland Fleshshade.

The Ork skulls were Rhinox Hide / Wraithbone / Agrax Earthshade.

Thanks for the pointers and inspiration!

I think you made the different metals come out quite nicely.

I think I might try something similar!

Yeah, it is also my impression that the ITTD terrain might be a bit samey to paint.... this is why I actually decided to, for the first time, also play around with a rust pigment. Just to try something new and keep my creative interest up. We will see how that goes. At least I have my big dry-brushing brush ready.....

More Kroot ideas

DSC_3178.jpg

I think I am going to go for the white / blue grey of my first sketch. I like the purple / black but it is too close to my Genestealers. 

My Kinband will be half-starved, betrayed and left on planet with slim resources by the Elucidian Starstriders. They are hungry...hungry for revenge.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun
Too much space

Great stuff here, I always love seeing painted terrain !!  it adds so much to the table and the enjoyment of the game. 

A lot of the new terrain has helped make painting quicker, just base coats and washes and boom it looks really good to play on, you have gone beyond that with nice touches of extra colours and Ork graffiti by the looks of it :laugh: 

Gene stealers are getting there! 

look forward to seeing more from your workbench!

Cheers, M.

Thanks very much for the nice words and encouragement @Mumeishi. The detail in this terrain gives it a character all of its own and I'm enjoying it. It has been helping me to get some practice in (thin those paints, Boltgun! Slow down and plan!)) on something that is quite forgiving. 

I made a mistake with the bases if the 'stealers which means a fair bit of remedial work. More highlights and details are required before they can be classed as finished. And finished they must be, if we are going to have a game of Space Hulk!