Dusktiger's RA 2022 blog

Dusktiger

so my pledge for the event, is to complete a force of the Szarekhan Dynasty for the painting event, containing the following:

Overlord [6 PL]
Skorpekh Lord [7 PL]
5 Immortals with Gauss Blasters [4 PL]
10 Necron Warriors with Gauss Reapers [6 PL]
3 Skorpekh Destroyers [4 PL]
+ 1 Plasmacyte [1 PL]

3 Canoptek Scarab Swarms [2 PL]
3 Ophydian Destroyers [4 PL]
+ 1 Plasmacyte [1 PL]
3 Tomb Blades [4 PL]
Doom Scythe [9 PL]

++ Total: [52 PL] ++

and to finish off 10 Necron Warriors with Gauss Flayers [6 PL]

and 1 of 2 Cryptothralls [1of2 PL]

neither of which, i am counting, since they are partly completed units already.

the initial photo at the time of the pledge:

gallery_39941_17445_372114.jpg

And as of writing this, my progress is thus:

gallery_39941_17445_101143.jpg

Edited by Dusktiger

So while i await the painting event to kick off proper, i started fiddling with list ideas on what i want to play with to start learning the army, using what i got so far.  Which quickly lead me to realize i will want to buy another box of destroyers of some variety to fill out Incursion sized games.  I'm thinking probably the skorpekhs, since that seems to be the go-to unit people choose from what i've read so far.

but in the mean time, this is what i'm thinking of using.  the local meta uses a fair bit of terrain, as we hold to the old 5th edition concept that you completely cover a table quarter with terrain, and then that's what you spread across the entire board.  As for the armies i'd face, i havent had a chance to play anyone since covid started, so im out of touch on that front.

++ Battalion Detachment [47 PL, 6CP, 993pts] ++

Dynasty Choice: Szarekhan Dynasty

+ HQ +

Overlord [6 PL, 110pts]: Relic: Sempiternal Weave, Voidscythe, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Szarekhan): The Triarch's Will

Royal Warden [4 PL, 75pts]

Skorpekh Lord [7 PL, 130pts]

+ Troops +

Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: Gauss Blaster, 5x Immortal

Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: Gauss Blaster, 5x Immortal

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 130pts]: Gauss Reaper, 10x Necron Warrior

+ Elites +

Skorpekh Destroyers [4 PL, 90pts]: 3x Skorpekh Destroyer

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [4 PL, 90pts]: Feeder Mandibles, 6x Canoptek Scarab Swarm

Ophydian Destroyers [4 PL, 90pts]: 3x Ophydian Destroyer

Tomb Blades [4 PL, 108pts]: 3x Tomb Blade: Nebuloscope, Shieldvanes, Twin Gauss Blaster

Now, i'm not set on the Szarekhan Dynasty, it's just the overall paint scheme i picked cause i liked the box art.  Though planning out how i'm gonna paint them, i'm thinking i'm going to alter the scheme somewhat and paint shoulders metallic green, with the skorpekh 'feet' the same green.  Maybe all the heads as well, haven't decided that part yet.  This way, i can have an area on the model all those fancy decals they came with can be used and actually show up on the paint.  So with that in mind, i might change to using custom dynasty rules, as im not so sure a 5+ for MW is even gonna be necessary in the local meta.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that metallic green you used there and the placement is pretty nifty ! , is that Runelord brass spray undercoat that your using there ?.
I’ve not played necrons with any of the new units yet so cannot give a critique on your army selection …just yet :wink: 
But from the looks of what you have I’d use that force or something similar as well .
Good luck with the painting event !! I hope to get a lot done this event as well !!

Cheers Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

thanks! yep, it's the runelord brass spray paint.  its kind of expensive here (i paid $35 local for the stuff, compared to the usual $25 for other citadel colored sprays) but i think the results with the metallic sprays are worth it for how nice it turns out.

the color scheme came to me cause i was feeling nostalgic and decided to play command & Conquer tiberian sun while i waited for the painting event to start, and i recalled how much i enjoyed playing green as my team color for the GDI faction cause it went so well with all the gold. 

When i tested it out over the default color scheme for Szarekhan Dynasty, i was quite happy with the results.  The green is done by undercoating those spots with Iron Hands Steel, and then coating that with Warp Lightning Contrast.  One coat of each was enough to get the effect i wanted.

thanks! yep, it's the runelord brass spray paint.  its kind of expensive here (i paid $35 local for the stuff, compared to the usual $25 for other citadel colored sprays) but i think the results with the metallic sprays are worth it for how nice it turns out.

the color scheme came to me cause i was feeling nostalgic and decided to play command & Conquer tiberian sun while i waited for the painting event to start, and i recalled how much i enjoyed playing green as my team color for the GDI faction cause it went so well with all the gold. 

When i tested it out over the default color scheme for Szarekhan Dynasty, i was quite happy with the results.  The green is done by undercoating those spots with Iron Hands Steel, and then coating that with Warp Lightning Contrast.  One coat of each was enough to get the effect i wanted.

Yeah the Runelord brass and Retributor armour Spray paints here (OZ) are like $50 compared to $28 for the standard colours... :huh.: 

Yesterday i managed to find a Retributor Armour spray for $27 from an online shop here!! so it looks like my Necrons are getting a basecoat of Gold first !! :teehee: 

that may speed up completing my Vow too :thumbsup:  

My Army is Novokh... I may steal your Green idea but use my Blood Angels Red Contrast instead .... Iron Hands Steel is a really nice metal colour!

Good ol C&C ...gee i had a lot of fun playing that game...and Red Alert etc etc.... 

Mithril 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I haven't had time to paint much, but so far I've finished all the immortals, the skorpekh Lord, the Skorpekh Destroyers, and I'm working on the scarab and ophydian destroyers right now, and the overlord is half done.

Below is what was left on weds minus the flyer and the little drug bugs.

20220706_063928.jpg

16572884584254884068625152960854.thumb.jpg.2af06bea453bfd367fa7f4acbc3cc350.jpg

Edited by Dusktiger

This is a bit potato cam, but the clear coat is still too tacky to put in the light box for better shots.

20220710_114915.thumb.jpg.d67ecf6961d67629b5d64b90420020ce.jpg

So, below i have my pledge, colored green on the parts that are finished:

Overlord [6 PL]
Skorpekh Lord [7 PL]

10 Necron Warriors with Gauss Reapers [6 PL]
3 Skorpekh Destroyers [4 PL]
+ 1 Plasmacyte [1 PL]

3 Canoptek Scarab Swarms [2 PL]
3 Ophydian Destroyers [4 PL]
+ 1 Plasmacyte [1 PL]
3 Tomb Blades [4 PL]
Doom Scythe [9 PL]

++ Total: [52 PL] ++

Edited by Dusktiger

11 hours ago, JaM_naf#6121 said:

Nice to see the conversions on the plasmacyte. Really never thought of that even if I have 3... While I did try to mix-and-match the warriors. 

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

That different one's actually not a conversion, the plasmacyte you get with the Ophydian Destroyers is a different pose with it climbing on different rubble. 

Was a pleasant surprise to find out its not the same so I have a different one in case both destroyers attack the same target.

I'm going to try and get the Destroyers with the Hachette subscription ( I'm not subbing but getting the first 4 from the newsagents) hoping issue 4 has that newer Plasmacyte with the 3 Skorpekh destroyers. It's always fun to have a different one :thumbsup:

Not sure if i asked already but the energy effect is just Tesseract Glow right?...

Cheers, Mithril

1 hour ago, mithrilforge said:

I'm going to try and get the Destroyers with the Hachette subscription ( I'm not subbing but getting the first 4 from the newsagents) hoping issue 4 has that newer Plasmacyte with the 3 Skorpekh destroyers. It's always fun to have a different one :thumbsup:

Not sure if i asked already but the energy effect is just Tesseract Glow right?...

Cheers, Mithril

yep, as as it so happens, i just received my issue 2 sub from hachette; lemmi check the sprue...ok, the one you get with that kit is the one pictured on the right.  So the same one that's in the box on the site.  the one on the left is the one you get with the wraith-body destroyers.