The Kratos tank and the future possibilities

For a long time I have wished that Astartes would receive a large, powerful, themed Lord of War vehicle that reflects what other factions have access to (eg: Wraith Knights, Stormsurge, Baneblades, Stompas, etc etc). Whilst in the past, the modus operandi of Marines may not have favoured one in the lore, things have now changed.

Someone I know was present at the Horus Heresy open day, and they advised me that the Kratos is significant in size, and rather impressive in person. I love the look of the tank, even though it isn't the type of unit that I would have chosen to represent and Astartes Lord of War, personally.

I really want a large, plastic, Astartes vehicle as a showpiece in my army, and even though I have migrated fully into collecting Primaris, I can make an exception for the Kratos. This would be on condition that the unit is supported fully in the 40k game in terms of rules, and isn't merely relegated to the Forgeworld Index, or even worse: Legends.

I would have preferred a gigantic Dreadnought, or a slightly smaller, plastic Astraeus, and I'm hoping that if this tank is a success, Games Workshop might consider a similar unit designed for the 40k setting.

I hate all LoW models in 40k. In my opinion they belong to "epic" or "apocalypse" but not on this size. Why not playing each Primarch in Kill Team ...

That's a fair opinion, but the floodgates were opened long ago.

If the rules are well written, a Lord of War should be no less enjoyable to play with or against than any other 40k unit.

I think the Kratos is a heavy support choice for Legionnes Astartes, not a Lord of War, and can even be taken in a squadron (up to 1 more), according to the playtest rules.

Not sure whether or not it would translate to a LoW in 40k.

LoW is a pretty arbitrary designation to be quite honest. We have really big ones like fellblade, baneblade, Astraeus etc, then smaller ones, like the non transport versions of the Spartan, while the spartan itself is not a LoW, while even larger transports like the Mastadon does qualify.

Having migrated fully to primaris as well, my self imposed ocd about keep everything era specific means I'm avoiding non primaris era vehicles as well, even though that is pretty much the weakest wing of the primaris marine redesign. Even completely new heresy designs like the kratos, which are on equal footing with all the new primaris designs (ie, having not existed prior for 30 years and thus have a powerful nostalgic component) still slaps most of the primaris vehicle design. And I don't think it's as simple as them having tracks vs not either.

Having owned a fellglaive prior I do from time to time feel an urge to get an Astraeus but the monetary cost involved... Would feel a lot better about the prospect if it was available in plastic.

Post ended up just being a bunch of random thoughts.

I think we can all agree that it would be silly on GW's part to pass up the 40k cross-over sales when they'd make up the cost of having the intern slap together the errata to put it in Imperial Armor on the second Kratos sold to a 40k-only player.

I've been thinking about this since you mentioned it elsewhere and I want them to do a plastic Mastadon as the big centrepiece model for Marines.

It'd be suitably impressive looking and a good step on the route to the Thunderhawk that we all know is coming eventually.

We shall call it the Plastadon and it will be GLORIOUS.

But yeah, the Kratos is pretty cool too, I wonder if the Legion Falchion, Glaive and Fellblade will eventually make it to plastic. The Baneblade kit proves it is achievable.

Rik

I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd love to see them do like a little Primaris upgrade sprue you can pick up to combine with some of these kits.

So if you want like a Primaris dude rocking a stubber, or heavy bolter, on top of a Sicaran as the pintle gunner, you just pick that up.

Would be good fun and I think a great move sales-wise for them.

I heard that the new Horus Heresy stuff being put out by GW will not have rules to be used in 40k.

It's Horus Heresy only.

Whilst this isn't what I personally wish to be the case, I accept that it could be best for the 30k game itself, as having uniquely designed units like this serves as another incentive to invest in the Horus Heresy.

Ans if so, I simply hope that GW will eventually deliver a vehicle of similar size for the Primaris. This could take the shape of an Overlord, a large Grav tank that stands between a Repulsor and an Astraeus, or a walker of some kind.

I also like the idea of a Marine LOW of some description. The Kratos would probably fit the bill nicely from my POV but I agree it is not clear at all whether it will even appear in 40K (although it would seem crazy not to). Relic Terminators and Contemptor Dreadnoughts migrated to 40K once they appeared in plastic so I am still holding out hope.

The other option we have now is Imperial Knights. The forthcoming Freeblade rules mean that a single Knight (or up to 3 Armigers) can be included in a Marine army without breaking faction bonuses. Given that our vehicles didn't get CORE in 9th edition, it means we only have a Techmarine to buff our vehicles anyway so the fact that a Knight can't be buffed is not a huge drawback for this approach.

I agree that thematically, a proper Marine LOW would be cooler though.

I'd just like my astreus to not suck :D

I must admit I love the look of the thing.

I actually came across one at a local club about a year ago. Two things stood out for me - the size, and the weight. I'm not a stranger to resin models and have worked on many in the past, but I don't actually enjoy them for various reasons that most people will be familiar with.

The tank is too long for most 40k tables in my opinion, and it wouldn't be particularly fun to transport. I wish there was something cheaper, smaller, lighter, and supported in each Codex update.

Well, being the centerpiece of Primaris armies was the point of the Repulsor Executioner before it was nerfed.

Maybe the new plastic Sicaran or the Achilles Land Raider would be a better idea in modern 9e boards and terrain.

Well, being the centerpiece of Primaris armies was the point of the Repulsor Executioner before it was nerfed.

Maybe the new plastic Sicaran or the Achilles Land Raider would be a better idea in modern 9e boards and terrain.

Maybe GW should fix all the SM tanks so the Executioner can be the centerpiece model it was intended to be. I really like that tank darn it.

I heard that the new Horus Heresy stuff being put out by GW will not have rules to be used in 40k.

It's Horus Heresy only. 

I don't believe this for a moment, pretty much EVERY vehicle from the Horus Heresy lines has rules in the Forge World Index(es). 

It would be mind bogglingly stupid to essentially make the Kratos the sole exception to this after investing in producing it in plastic.

AND if that is the current plan then I can't see it lasting more than a month from release, they'll get swamped by so many emails and social media comments that it will appear as a free datasheet via the community website.

------

My expectation is still for Codex Marines 9.2 before Christmas which will have the rules for the Kratos along with any other vehicles that are released in plastic.

Rik

The more recent tanks, the Sabre Strike Tank and the Arquitor Bombard variants, do not have 40k rules.

Still, it would certainly make sense for them to give it rules eventually, although they may not in the short term.