Quick tournament

I'm taking part in a Tempest of War tournament in early June and am taking Ultramarines before switching for my Custodes later this year. Just getting the mechanics of 9th back up to speed whilst enjoying my Ultramarines really.

The army isn't as competitive as it could be as the Attack Bikes are unpainted and won't be in time, but here's what I'm thinking of taking:

++ Battalion (Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) ++

Stratagem: Honoured Sergeant [-1CP]

Eversor Assassin [100pts]

+ HQ +

Captain in Terminator Armour [110pts]:

• Combi-bolter

• Thunder Hammer

• The Imperium's Sword

• The Censured Helm

Chaplain in Terminator Armour [95pts]:

• Catechism of Fire

• Litany of Hate

• Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad [110pts]

• 3x Space Marine

• Sergeant w/ Combi-plasma

. Space Marine w/ Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad [110pts]

• 3x Space Marine

• Space Marine w/ Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad [110pts]

• 3x Space Marine

• Space Marine w/ Grav-cannon

+ Elites +

Apothecary [110pts]:

• Chief Apothecary

• Selfless Healer (Hero of the Chapter -1CP)

Chapter Champion [75pts]:

• Blade of Triumph

• Champion's blade

Contemptor Dreadnought [150pts]:

• Kheres pattern assault cannon

Ironclad Dreadnought [145pts]:

• Dreadnought chainfist

• Hurricane bolter

• Ironclad Assault Launchers

• Meltagun

Leviathan Dreadnought [-1CP, 235pts]:

• 2x Heavy Flamers

• Grav-flux bombard

• 3x Hunter-killer missile

• Leviathan siege claw

Relic Terminator Squad [390pts]:

×10 models with:

• ×3 Combi-bolter, Power fist

• ×2 Chainfist, Combi-bolter

• ×2 Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw

• Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Master-Crafted Plasma blaster

×2 Grenade Harness, Lightning Claw, Reaper autocannon

+ Heavy Support +

Centurion Devastator Squad [255pts]

3× models:

• Hurricane bolter (All)

• Two Heavy Bolters (All)

++ Total: [8CP, 2000pts] ++

The idea is to put plenty of pressure on objectives etc with Terminators and Dreadnoughts who are all hard to kill, whilst the Tacticals and Centurions hold ground and support with firepower.

The Apothecary should make the Centurions very hard to shift whilst the opponent is dealing with the Terminators dropping in or moving forward (depending on match up etc) and he can revive Terminators too.

The Chaplain is there to give the Terminators the ability to get decent odds on a charge whilst also boosting shooting with Catechism of Fire. I've used the Captain with a Thunder Hammer and Censured Helm before and it worked brilliantly.

The Dreadnoughts are a threat hard to tackle if you split your firepower and 2 of them are very fast. I know the Contemptor needs a Multi-melta but the model isn't ready. He might get dropped for a Lascannon Venerable Dreadnought instead. Only problem with that is the speed drop which hurts a little.

The Assassin is an objective stealer and trouble maker who can switch to a Culexus when needed.

Questions brothers...

• The Mastercrafted Plasma Blaster... could it swap to the Hurricane Bolters for the Centurion Sergeant? I generally enjoy his overcharged shots supported by an Apothecary, but 12 close ranged D2 Bolter shots is pretty delightful.

• Contemptor vs Venerable Dreadnought... my head says Venerable but my heart says Contemptor.

• Got plenty of firepower and punching power for all but the heaviest opponents, but think I can torrent 3 or so Knights. What lists might I struggle with in estimation?

Edited by Captain Idaho

honestly the first thing they are going to ask

"wHeRE aRe ThE PriMaRiS"

but with the updates to 1st gen marines only thing you have lost is the 6" with their bolter and the -1 to the ap

but with most armies ignoring the -1 as of late (marines, chaos marines, sisters) or Custodes with their 2+/4++ saves it won't make much of a difference

which means they will under estimate you until they remember what plasma can do...

if you had the models I would put a devastator squad in there and take half the terminators out to fund them...lascannons would wake some people up quickly.

Yeah I am definitely a little weak on smashing large numbers of vehicles from far. Light vehicles with less wounds not so bad, but there's 3 Multi-melta missing from the list from models that just won't be done in time (others are getting a work over!).

Maybe that means I should take the Venerable Dreadnought over the Contemptor. He's at least got those Lascannons.

"wHeRE aRe ThE PriMaRiS"

but with the updates to 1st gen marines only thing you have lost is the 6" with their bolter and the -1 to the ap

but with most armies ignoring the -1 as of late (marines, chaos marines, sisters) or Custodes with their 2+/4++ saves it won't make much of a difference

which means they will under estimate you until they remember what plasma can do...

if you had the models I would put a devastator squad in there and take half the terminators out to fund them...lascannons would wake some people up quickly.

If I'm honest, I think one of the reasons Marines are performing badly is because Primaris aren't as competitive. Sure Bladeguard are good, they are slow, lack teleport and shooting and due to Armour of Contempt are now easier to kill compared to Terminators, who also benefit from Fury of the First if separated from characters.

Transhuman Physiology is a big plus but it can only go on one unit at a time.

Having just bolters in basic troops against all the denizens of 9th edition just doesn't quite cut it I feel.

"wHeRE aRe ThE PriMaRiS"

If I'm honest, I think one of the reasons Marines are performing badly is because Primaris aren't as competitive. Sure Bladeguard are good, they are slow, lack teleport and shooting and due to Armour of Contempt are now easier to kill compared to Terminators, who also benefit from Fury of the First if separated from characters.

This is a reason why i have not started primaris. first born marines can seem to have an answer for anything and almost anywhere, primairs feel like all eggs in one basket.

The models sell themselves so folk built up armies without being competitive compared to certain factions.

Still, we'll see how I do. The list lacks teeth somewhat, but I wanted to try the hard boiled approach of tough units. The Centurions in particular interest me as the Apothecary should keep them around for longer.

Looks nice, those relic termies will be great and look awesome. Just consider the tempest secondaries, you often have to switch up from killing to say, hold an objective you didnt have at the start of the turn - I think you might lack the speed needed to get over and contest/hold stuff like that.

"wHeRE aRe ThE PriMaRiS"

Transhuman Physiology is a big plus but it can only go on one unit at a time.

Having just bolters in basic troops against all the denizens of 9th edition just doesn't quite cut it I feel.

You can actually see the difference between 8th and 9th where they tried fixing it but honestly makes those 1st gen marines even better...

I think the outrider squads are better then regular bike squads but the regular bike squads can add a attack bike with that melta gun and a power fist on the sarge...but the outriders get +2 attacks from the bikes on the charge...a 3 man squad is doing what...

2 base plus sarge =7

charge bonus = 10

chainswords = 13

bikes attack = 19...

but like I said that new and fancy -1 chainsword don't mean jack against power armor anymore...which is why it was added in the first place

but 19 attacks is nice to have turn one in a smaller game against someone not ready and to far forward on deployment

They're better if you don't put a few extra points into buy special weapons and a combi weapon, but then you definitely would eh ;)

To be fair it's a bit of a wash, but 4 Bikers with 3 melta guns is the same points as 3 Outriders and they still get 13 attacks in melee with Chainswords.

Depends on what you want - I quite like the weapons over extra attacks but I understand some like to lawnmower over light infantry. Then I have to say the 4 man Bikes with 3 Flamers will put out similar output to that to, for slightly cheaper.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Relic Termies are no joke. Mine have combi  melta and chainfists. I like to retain AP vs AoC armies. 

I think dreadnougnts have some renewed life and this might be one of the rare Primaris advantages with the Macroplasma. The list looks fun and sticks to some great staples. I look forward to hearing how you do. :thumbsup:

Edited by Prot

That's a great looking list! I feel like you could benefit from a single squad of Infiltrators as deep strike protection, forward operators and late action shenanigans with Guerrilla Warfare. The lack of Seal of Oath looks like a missed opportunity to help you with some of the hardest units out there.

Otherwise, I like the list. If you have it, I think the venerable dreadnought with lascannons would be better than the Contemptor. Or a Redemptor to help you push forward, though you would need to scrape some points to make it fit.

Good luck!

That's a great looking list! I feel like you could benefit from a single squad of Infiltrators as deep strike protection, forward operators and late action shenanigans with Guerrilla Warfare. The lack of Seal of Oath looks like a missed opportunity to help you with some of the hardest units out there.

Otherwise, I like the list. If you have it, I think the venerable dreadnought with lascannons would be better than the Contemptor. Or a Redemptor to help you push forward, though you would need to scrape some points to make it fit.

Good luck!

Infiltrators don't meet the theme unfortunately but they're otherwise quite useful in any standard tournament Ultramarines list.

I think you're right about the Venerable. I'll go with that until my Redemptor is painted. (sigh just another one added to the list!)

I probably will add Seal of Oath since it is a great Relic. The main reason I haven't is the only real benefit to the army is Terminators and they do have Lightning Claws after all. Still, rerolling all those Bolters will be immense against a specific target.

Relic Termies are no joke. Mine have combi melta and chainfists. I like to retain AP vs AoC armies.

I think dreadnougnts have some renewed life and this might be one of the rare Primaris advantages with the Macroplasma. The list looks fun and sticks to some great staples. I look forward to hearing how you do. :tu:

Oh if I could get Combi weapons in that unit I'd swoon! I hopefully will get some good results from the squad to report back.

Again, need that Redemptor painted. He'd fit nicely in the theme and that big old weapon would be good.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Taking the list marginally adjusted below:

Eversor Assassin [100pts]

+ HQ +

Captain in Terminator Armour [110pts]:

• Combi-plasma

• Relic Blade

• Storm of Fire

• The Sanctic Halo (3++ and Deny the Witch)

Chaplain in Terminator Armour [95pts]:

• Catechism of Fire

• Litany of Hate

• Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad [110pts]

• 3x Space Marine

Tactical Squad [110pts]

• 3x Space Marine

Tactical Squad [110pts]

• 3x Space Marine

• Space Marine w/ Grav-cannon

+ Elites +

Apothecary [110pts]:

• Chief Apothecary

• Selfless Healer (Hero of the Chapter -1CP)

Chapter Champion [75pts]:

• Blade of Triumph

• Champion's blade

Venerable Dreadnought [155pts]:

• Dreadnought CCW

• Twin Lascannon

Ironclad Dreadnought [145pts]:

• Dreadnought chainfist

• Hurricane bolter

• Ironclad Assault Launchers

• Meltagun

Leviathan Dreadnought [-1CP, 235pts]:

• 2x Heavy Flamers

• Grav-flux bombard

• 3x Hunter-killer missile

• Leviathan siege claw

Relic Terminator Squad [385pts]:

×10 models with:

• ×3 Combi-bolter, Power fist

• ×1 Chainfist, Combi-bolter

• ×3 Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw

• Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Master-Crafted Plasma blaster

×2 Grenade Harness, Lightning Claw, Reaper autocannon

+ Heavy Support +

Centurion Devastator Squad [255pts]

3× models:

• Hurricane bolter (All)

• Two Heavy Bolters (All)

++ Total: [8CP, 2000pts] ++

The Captain is what's painted as otherwise I'd have a slightly different armament.

The list will be tested this weekend with someone else attending the tournament. Should be fun game and I'm getting fed also :)

Movement is a slight issue for me, since my list isn't too fast. But it should be a little tenacious.

The Sanctic Halo is good for a free Deny the Witch and I can take a Culexus if the opponent has gone Psychic Heavy.

Edited by Captain Idaho

For the love of fudge I don't think I'll get my Captain painted (I have lots but not the Terminator Captain with Combi-melta/Thunder Hammer I've always wanted!) So I'm thinking of going with a Jump Pack Captain with Sunwrath Pistol and Relic Blade. Fairly effective and on the drop I'm better off with the shooting than a Combi plasma Captain with Relic Blade.

You never know I might get the right Captain painted on time, see how things go tomorrow night.

But I do have a few things to get done unfortunately so the Captain is the least priority.

Tournament checklist of outstanding painted models needing doing:

• 4 Cataphractii Terminators (half painted)

• Leviathan (half painted)

• Culexus Assassin

• Chaplain in Terminator Armour

I've just finished an Apothecary tonight so making good progress. Who knows, might be able to build that Thunder Hammer Captain and get him painted in time after all!

Got a test game this Sunday against someone else also attending. His list is packing lots of Hellblasters, 2 units of Inceptors and also has Assault Terminators, Lascannon and Missile Launcher Centurions and Vanguard.

Packs quite a punch. He does have a single vehicle, a Repulsor. Lots of firepower but a single target so hoping I can deal with it. (Famous last word)

My plan is to shoot dead the Hellblasters before they nuke my Terminators. That's my best chance.

Played the game yesterday and it was great fun against a brilliant opponent. And a great host so it was all good for an evening. :)

I won the game but sure did get a bloody nose on the way out. There were some notable points listed below:

i) My luck does like to desert me at times. Turn 2 my assault floundered when I rolled 6 charges, including a 3D6 charge TWICE (reroll), a 4" charge and a pair of 7" charges, yet failed all of these charges and only made the one 7" charge with my Terminators.

Still, it made for a tighter game, but ideally I would have locked up and killed the Hellblasters and finished the Centurions decisively.

ii) Speaking of Centurions... wow. Constant barrage of fire but just didn't die! Functional 1+ save alongside a Chief Apothecary acting like a Necromancer meant they were non-stop and could tank all the hits that came their way.

iii) The Apothecary was the MVP. Totally worthwhile and problematic.

iv) Tempest of War I found wasn't too bad for the army to achieve. With the aggressive use of Dreadnoughts, teleporting in Terminators and the Eversor Assassin I had no troubles crossing the table and scoring Secondaries.

I enjoyed Secondaries and scored well; had this been a tournament game I'd have scored over 90pts in the end. I think it is a nice balancing factor for armies.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Nice job! It's always fun to win the first game with a new list.

When you say "constant barrage of fire", do you mean the Centurions were under constant fire or that they unleashed a constant barrage?... or both? I'm really hoping to get my Centurions on the battlefield soon but the lack of core mechanic really hurt them theoretically.

Did you keep the Terminators as a single unit or did you combat squad them to cover more ground? Also, I'm curious about the Ironclad's performance. With AoC and T8, it looks like it could be very sturdy and thus able to get where it needs to be, but again I have no practical experience to verify this.