Legions of the Horus Heresy - White Scars

Posted (edited)

@stranger order the rules are unchanged from their playtest version. They're obviously different from their 1st edition which:

-count outriders and skyhunters as troops

-give all bikes and jetbikes hit and run

-give all infantry without big guns hit and run and outflank

-give all infantry with big guns outflank

So it's...worse? It depends on how you read the "count as", as you might be stuck with them in the fast attack slot raw. Another terribly written scars rule coming out of malevolence lol; new CB is worse than the intended version, better than the raw version.

As for the army; the white looked great, but it was all white. Red is very much supposed to be a secondary color, to the point where it almost competes with the white. Shoulder pads, trim, studs, more transfers, freehand. Something.

The GW scheme had more red in it...

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Regardless of elitism discourse

Their love of speed was matched only by their unflagging self-confidence, and the Legion’s no-scope 720 tactics came to define their attitude to combat.

Is painful to read. Painglove the series.

That aside...

If these articles proceed daily, over the weekend, the 18th and final one falls on Friday May 27th. Sure feels like a good note to end on a day before pre-orders go up.

I think it will be a two week cycle per usual edition launches and release June 11th.

Really not enjoying the writing style employed in these articles

Which is causing me to not hold my breath to see how GW does the Horus Heresy game especially handling the lore and characters. I'm a little nervous.

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking they're targeting a younger audience who've not been exposed to Heresy much, given it's been a bit... moribund for a few years. So it's basically some marketing attempt at "what-ho fellow 14 year olds, we are hip like you". It's like the James Workshop cringe stuff, we're not the target audience.

Fortunately, marketing doesn't write the rules or fluff in the books, so no reason it should show up there. We can just skim the uh, "expressive" prose and look out for the rules fragments. And hope it doesn't spread elsewhere on war com!

Edited by Arkhanist

Really not enjoying the writing style employed in these articles

Which is causing me to not hold my breath to see how GW does the Horus Heresy game especially handling the lore and characters. I'm a little nervous.

You know the people writing the articles online aren’t writing the books, right?

Posted (edited)
For people enjoying the look of the army: it was painted by Andy and Henry from Cult of Paint. They said there will be several how to videos on their (excellent) youtube channel. https://youtube.com/channel/UCPI4wJgB2hlWZqz0tRqg4qQ Edited by matcap86

I'm thinking they're targeting a younger audience who've not been exposed to Heresy much, given it's been a bit... moribund for a few years. So it's basically some marketing attempt at "what-ho fellow 14 year olds, we are hip like you". It's like the James Workshop cringe stuff, we're not the target audience.

Fortunately, marketing doesn't write the rules or fluff in the books, so no reason it should show up there. We can just skim the uh, "expressive" prose and look out for the rules fragments. And hope it doesn't spread elsewhere on war com!

Which I just don't get - when I was young and getting into the hobby, the serious tone of White Dwarf articles was a big plus for me. Here was a hobby that treated me like an adult.

Which I just don't get - when I was young and getting into the hobby, the serious tone of White Dwarf articles was a big plus for me. Here was a hobby that treated me like an adult.

Not every gimmick is a good one. I have to work closely with my company's marketing department (being in IT), and some of their ideas are... out there. The problem I think with marketing is, you never know in advance what's gonna work and what's gonna stink, and it's not even that easy to tell afterwards - did they buy the thing because of the marketing, or despite it? Who knows! Because who actually fills out surveys. I don't envy them really, at least I generally know pretty quickly when my systems needs some percussive maintenance.

I've been teaching since 2005 and can testify that there's been huge societal shifts even in this short time. Things have changed a lot since "we were kids" and arguably due to social media attention spans and such have totally changed. I've taught in both UK and Canada and you can see it. Even WD itself the articles are a lot thinner and the word count in battle reports is deeply saddening how it's changed.

All that said, I'm indifferent on the tone but enjoying seeing the rules snippets. If we don't see a character or leviathan next week I'm intrigued as to what comes next.

I'd quite like to see either jetbikes - bullock pattern, or an assault/ breachers squad. However, not sure we will just yet.

Posted (edited)

I was going to say, the writing tone is certainly a choice. Not that it's bad, but because knowing the Horus Heresy audience it'd cause folks to become needlessly hostile. Heresy is the Always Serious All The Time wing of the fandom, filled with the.most veteran and hardcore hobbyists.

That said GW is looking to make the heresy more accessible to mainstream hobbyists, so there's going to be culture shock coming with different kinds of players suddenly interacting.

Edited by Wispy

Posted (edited)

I was going to say, the writing tone is certainly a choice. Not that it's bad, but because knowing the Horus Heresy audience it'd cause folks to become needlessly hostile. Heresy is the Always Serious All The Time wing of the fandom, filled with the.most veteran and hardcore hobbyists.

That said GW is looking to make the heresy more accessible to mainstream hobbyists, so there's going to be culture shock coming with different kinds of players suddenly interacting.

The folks already in aren't the target audience of these articles. For example, I don't need to know about the 1st Legion, I have Book 9 and I have a Dark Angels army. The only thing really of interest to most of the existing audience are the small rules snippets and some of the art/painted stuff. Other than that, I personally just skim through these.

To add, with this and the 'pick your legion' thing, they're trying to address the indecisiveness someone new to the game might have. We'll see how that pans out, but if successful, I'd think it could get a few people that were on the fence to decide to commit.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I just don't think this should be the tone of writing GW should be using period just doesn't seem professional at all for one of their supposed flagship games, I haven't seen anything like this in 40k or AoS articles (though to be fair I don't really read the AoS ones) so why did they chose to go this way with a old game given a new lease on life?

I just don't think this should be the tone of writing GW should be using period just doesn't seem professional at all for one of their supposed flagship games, I haven't seen anything like this in 40k or AoS articles (though to be fair I don't really read the AoS ones) so why did they chose to go this way with a old game given a new lease on life?

Who knows but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Once the articles are done, within a week people will have forgotten all about it.

What really matters is game mechanics, minis and fluff. These articles really shouldn't be forming the focus of discussion because they really, really, don't matter.

Regardless of elitism discourse

Their love of speed was matched only by their unflagging self-confidence, and the Legion’s no-scope 720 tactics came to define their attitude to combat.

Is painful to read. Painglove the series.

That aside...

If these articles proceed daily, over the weekend, the 18th and final one falls on Friday May 27th. Sure feels like a good note to end on a day before pre-orders go up.

I think it will be a two week cycle per usual edition launches and release June 11th.

Alright, guess not then. Last legion on a Thursday then.