JaM's painting log: for The Deciever!

JaM_TW

This will be my painting log for the upcoming Royal Awakening event.

I am planning to paint the last "bits" of the necrons I have and, later on, merge them into my old army.

I'll make a gallery and will add photo's. At least, that's the plan. :-) 

So this is a sort of placeholder text... Ambitious but rubbish, perhaps. :-D

Cheers! 

JaM

And oh yeah.

WD 217.

:mellow.:

Edited by JaM_naf#6121

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! Picture! :smile.: It took me a while to figure out how to post that here. Hey, it's been ages. Time flows different when you get older :mellow.:  trust me. 

I've glued more stuff together but my first vow should be small. Just to see if I can get the painting juices flowing again. 

Best you are going to get are the Twice-Dead King books and the Infinite and the Divine novel- which to be fair are both pretty entertaining in their own ways. 

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Ikka is correct, TIAD and 2DK are probably your best bets--however, finding paper copies of either of those is nigh-on impossible.

I will say if you want the Necrons featuring as 'oh :censored: we're all gonna dieeee' I recommend the Commissar Cain series also. They're presented as well and truly unstoppable in Caves of Ice and feature to a lesser extent in Cain's Last Stand. They're like that quote from Terminator: "[They] can't be bargained with. [They] can’t be reasoned with. [They don't] feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And [they] absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead." (Cain, of course, also makes for some excellent humor in general, I recommend Mitchell's books if you can find them at your local library.)

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Thanks!  :-)

I've red the Caine series, good stuff. 

I've found a paper copy of the infinite and divine, the other serie should come out in paperback..? I believe. Somewhere in August I think. I hope :-D 

What, someting about sanctuary 101 or something? I still should have that WD somewhere...

Nah, if Dan Abnett or ADB writes something I am interested (ok, Sandy Mitchell as well) but most other writers * shrug* not so much. 

I dont feel the need to read/buy ALL those novels. Horus Heresy was fun but after what... 12? novels I quit. Needed the space on the shelves. 

Had all the Gaunt's Ghosts as well. Still a bit sad about Bragg :sad.: . But the books had to go. 

Anyway: MY C'Tan isnt a shard but the real deal. :smile.:

Maybe I should start writing their backstory... 

Edited by JaM_naf#6121

Well, in theory there's more BL stuff - you got "Nightbringer" by Graham McNeill, the first entry in the long running Ultramarines 4th company series. It features, uh, well, the Nightbringer. But tbh, I wouldn't recommend it if you are after meaningfull Necron lore. And there's "Fall of Damnos" from the old Space Marine Battles series by Nick Kyme. It depicts the battle for Damnos, where the Ultramarines 2nd struggled and lost against the Necrons awakening on that planet. But since I never managed to get through that book, I really can't recommend it full-heartedly. 

Maybe the Imperial Armour volume featuring the Necrons might be more interesting - it's one of the last volumes FW published. But that might be hard to get a hold of in print. It might be on the WH+ app though, at least the lore part.

Red the "Nightbringer" novel. Most interesting character in that book is the sergeant too big to fit in a normal spacemarine suit, IIRC. He wore something akin to a terminator? 

It's been years since I red THAT.  (looks it up) ... Yup, 20 years ago, looks like. 

Looks like I am good for "literature" for now :smile.: Thanks all for the heads up on the current books. 

• 4 weeks later...

about 3 minutes per model, undercoated with contrast. Yes, on the bare plastic. 

about... 40 seconds? of drybrushing leadbelcher. 

Next stop: paint the guns on a contrastpaint, colour the cables lightblue, add some highlights. 

And then decide what to finally put on the base, apart from the rubble that's already there. 

Edited by JaM_naf#6121

Painted the guns with either wyldwood or another dark brown contrast paint.

Did some work on the HQs 'cape'.

Tonight hopefully will finish them when I do cables and eyes and some details. And the base... Have to figure out what to do with that. 

IMG_20220629_235608125.jpg

IMG_20220629_235615430.jpg

Pictures are not that great,hope to make some better ones today. :huh:

Blue & Silver  -Thokt army ?... 

I'm painting that same character right now too (Royal warden isn't it?) ... i love that cape on the side, gives you a chance to make it stand out as a character!

So you just painted Contrast right over the Plastic model without undercoat ?... :blink:. how did that go?... Are you going to use a sealer on them at the end of your painting??.

Good luck with the rest of your Vow ! 

Mithril 

Nah, I did like the Thokt scheme when I saw it at first in some codex but I hate to pin myself to a certain "legion". 

It's more based on "the expanse", on the proto-molecule idea. I needed something different than the rest of my silver army but not too different. So it looks sort of coherent. :smile: I do have fluff/background in my head for this army but I need time and drive to put it on ehm... screen. 

Painting contrast over bare plastic works quite well. I took blue, I wonder if a darker green or red will work as well but I cant see why not. 

I am not planning on using a sealer. Plastic doesnt "chip" that bad like metal does/did. I dont seal my plastic bloodbowl teams and they (the player models)  hit the ground far more often so I think I'm good. I am all for fast painting but still looking decent on this army. It wont win prices but that's not it's purpose. 

It seems I have 9 skorpekh destroyers... maybe that's a bit of overkill. I have 2 skorpekh lords, 1 is made. I might convert the other to something else, maybe a skeleton like c'tan?  

And I do have 30 warriors, all with reapers. I have enough warriors with flayers (60? I think. almost all metal) already. So sometime soon I have to come up with an armylist. I know there are changes in the codex  and normally I'd bother, but not this time.* I just want to get them off their sprues and on their base with some colour. 

Thanks for the reply!  :smile: Cheers,

Jan

*) I hope. I've had too many times that I fleshed out a whole amrylist, got the models, build and converted them and then let them collect dust. I like converting but really dislike painting it seems. 

Oh ok, I only mentioned the sealer because it's mentioned a lot that contrast paint does tend to rub off easily on models if they're not sealed over ... :ermm:

The expanse theme is cool, that was a great series...now i can picture Flayed ones as off shoots of that proto molecule that had all the peoples body parts floating all together :ohmy:...:laugh: eek... 

Mithril

Managed to do some more. 

Drybrush boltgun metal ehm... Leadbelcher. Next step will be the painting of the guns and scenery. 

After that going through the models to amke sure the blue pops. Will probably do the blades then, too. And the cables on the Skorpekh Lord. And some metal on the Skorpekhs. 

Final step will be the squirrel and other thins on the bases. That'll be fun :smile: First colour will be choclate brown (VMC), followed with a drybrush of US Tan Earth (VMC). 

Colours on the squirrel is TBD, but brownish. And hopefully a blue glowing eye... 

In th pipeline are 6 more skorpekhs and The Deciever Himself. But that will have to wait after a short holiday. 

I hope to have these finished before the end of August. Will be hard if the weather stays as hot as it is ATM. No fun painting when the paint dries on the brush :blink:

edit: photo once again too bright. Ah well. You get the gist. 

IMG_20220717_222815113.jpg

Edited by JaM_naf#6121